AAR: Study Of Unknown Material

To: DS13 Command, Pariah Colonial Board
Re: Analysis of Anomalous Material

Translator ACTIVE
Recording Begins...

Jolan'tru. I've attached a summary of my findings to this audio log, but given just how little we know right now I figured it would be best to talk through this, speculate a little.

After a frankly exhaustive battery of tests performed on site at the Pariah system Dilithium mine, I think I've found a new use for that so called 'Mineral X'. We really need to find a new name for that, by the way. Parium, or Davin-ite, or something. Anyway, in searching for potential uses that might be drawing the Collectives attention to our little colony system, I incorporated the material into a Federation sublight drive assembly. It actually registered a three-ish percent performance increase at first, but after a few minutes the driver coil burned out.

I'll spare you the headache I gave myself trying to figure that out: apparently the Parium enhanced engines aren't compatible with a Cochrane-type warp system. I checked with a singularity core too, and got the same result. The obvious conclusion is that something about the warp field is destabilizing these engines, but without more testing I can't be sure. I've got a few more simulations running right now, trying different configurations, different power loads and activation states.

...I'm almost starting to wonder if it's the engines, or the material, destabilizing the warp field, instead of the other way around. I'll have to get some time on the holodecks on station some time, try to observe this properly. I've attached my relevant simulations to this report, in case anyone spots something I missed.

On a side note, these engines could be useful on ships without warp capability, light shuttles and repair ships, maybe even fighters and personal craft. We'll need to do a little more research, but it's promising.

That's all for now. Hopefully we'll have more answers soon.

[Summary.fsd]
[Impulse1.sim]
[Impulse2.sim]
[Impulse_G427.sim]
[ImpulseHolo.hds]

3 Likes