Stories of Samuel Bishop

Spoiler: Stardate 94218.0Show
Stardate 94218.0 (21 March 2417)

Keelah jumped into his arms, embracing him with a tight hug and an even tighter kiss.
"Stay safe," she whispered, holding him tighly.
Sam held her close. "I will do sweetheart, don't worry,"
"You'll have to forgive me for worrying," she replied with a teary grin, pulling away.
"I know Keelah, I know. But trust me, I will come back home safe this time,"
"Oh Sam," he hugged him again. "I don't want you to leave,"
Sam looked at her quizzically. "I asked you...you're the one who convinced me,"
"I know, I know," she said, standing up straight and fussing over him, making sure his clothes were spotless and his hair neat. "I didn't think it would be this hard to say goodbye to you again,"
"I love you Keelah," Sam said, taking her hands and kissing them lightly.
She smiled. "I love you too, Sam," she sighed. "What's your plan then? Go to this conference and then visit home?"
Sam nodded. "It's going to be quite difficult, but I assume we're going to bury an empty casket, or something," he looked visibly pained as he said this. It didn't take much for Keelah to notice this; she placed her hand on the side of his face.
"I can come with you,"
He sighed and looked at her. "No Keelah. You're needed here, sweetheart. I'll be fine,"
She shook her head. "I know you better than anyone else my love. You won't be...but we'll get through it, together. Just stay strong,"
Sam kissed her and pressed his forehead against hers. "I'll write and call often,"
"Please do, I'll be waiting...you'd better not get off with an archaeology girl whilst you're there," she chuckled.
"I have my own archaeology girl right here," he smiled.
"You calling me old Samuel?" Keelah pouted.
"Nope, just calling you priceless," he chuckled, stroking her cheek gently.
Keelah nuzzled his hand. "You're let off this time then. You have to leave now don't you...you can't stay a few minutes?"
Sam shook his head with a wry smile. "Keelah, even I know that a few minutes would turn into hours,"
"You're not wrong you know," she replied and kissed him long and hard. When she pulled back, there were tears in her eyes. Sam wiped these away gently with his thumb.
"Look after T'Pia for me," he said quietly, afraid that if he spoke any louder, his voice might break and his calm demeanour shatter.
"I will look after our daughter Sam. If there is one thing you can be sure of more than anything, it's that,"
Sam took her hand and squeezed it tightly, leading her out of the room. T'Pia was lounging on the sofa idly, reading the copy of Les Miserables that Sam had given her. She looked up when her parents appeared. "Are you leaving now Dad?"
Sam nodded. "I am darling," After all these weeks, Sam's heart still melted when T'Pia called him Dad, still not able to get over the fact that he was a father and that she was his daughter. Keelah seemed to feel this, as she wrapped her arm around Sam's waist, pulling him closer to her as if to say "yes, she is our daughter Sam,"
T'Pia carefully placed a bookmark in her page and then bounded over her parents to give them a big hug. "I'll miss you Dad...but don't worry, I'll keep on practising our fencing! Can you take me horse riding next, when you come back? I've read about it and I want to try it!"
Sam chuckled. "Of course my love," he said hugging his small family. "Take care of your mother now, T'Pia, and don't cause her any trouble,"
"I won't Dad, you can count on me!"
"Of course I can my darling," he smiled, kissing T'Pia on the top of her head. He then stood to look at Keelah. "Goodbye Keelah, I'll see you soon. I love you," he gave her a parting kiss.
"I love you too," Keelah smiled, her professionalism taking hold. "Goodbye Sam,"
"And I love you too Dad!"
With a final wave, Sam smiled and left the room.
3 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 94276.9Show
Stardate 94276.9 (12 April 2417)

Sam looked up from the book as he heard the door. He was reading an epic about a group of Diaderian Hunters valiantly defending their planet from a foreign invasion. An evidently exaggerated account, but a good read nonetheless.
"Come in,"
The door opened to reveal Natasha, standing in a stunning and revealing red dress. She was wearing little makeup, accentuating the red lipstick she was wearing. She was clutching a letter.
"Captain,"
Sam blinked at her appearance. "Tasha...to...what do I owe this pleasure?"
Tasha wondered in and stood in the room, with a small smile. "It's a celebration,"
"Celebration? For what?"
"Your reinstatement as Captain,"
"What do you mean?" Sam stood and narrowed his brow.
"Everything has been cleared. You are physically and mentally clear for command,"
Sam paused. "You mean...I'm..."
Tasha nodded. "The Endeavour is yours again, Sam,"
Sam stared at her long and hard. "I...will need some time to process,"
"Don't be too long...Alfred is getting too comfortable in that seat..."
Sam chuckled and then hugged Tasha. "Thank you Tash..."
"I did nothing Sam...you did the work. You've made a good recovery, but it's not over yet. Hopefully, your command will serve as the best therapy for you,"
Sam nodded and looked around the room. "It's going to be so strange having an empty quarter to myself,"
"I'm sure you can convince your fiancée to join you sometimes in your quarters. I mean you did convince her to marry you,"
"Tash you are a right..." Sam let that sentence hang for Tasha to fill with her own expletive.
"I'm sure your daughter would love to spend some father-daughter nights with you too,"
"You're right,"
Tasha punched Sam lightly. "Have you not learnt by now? I am right. All the time,"
Sam scoffed. "Whatever you say Tash..."
"I have something for you too," She held out her hand to give Sam the sealed envelope. "I know how much you enjoy old school styles. I hope you find this useful. It has helped me though many difficulties,"
Sam looked down at the neat, cursive writing. Samuel Bishop
"Thanks Tasha,"
Tasha smiled. There was an uneasy silence before she finally broke it. "I had best be off, I have an appointment to keep,"
Sam gave a small nod. "Fare well, Tash. I'll see you soon,"
"And you Sam," Tasha twirlled and left the room. Sam stared after her for a moment before opening the letter.

Spoiler: Tasha's Handwritten Letter to SamShow
Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY

I believe in you, Sam. Now and always. Yours,

Tasha xxx
4 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 94328.5Show
Stardate 94328.5 (30 April 2417)

"Bishop? Bishop!"
Sam groaned slightly in his sleep and pulled Keelah closer to him.
"Bishop, you open this door and get your ass front and centre right now!"
Keelah moaned. "Who the hell is that?"
"I... don't know," Sam mumbled.
"Whoever it is, go check so I can get some sleep. I have a shift in a few hours. I just want some sleep!" Keelah pushed Sam away and pulled his pillow over her head.
"Keelah..." Sam's found himself on the floor as Keelah shoved him off the bed and pulled the covers back over her. Grumbling, he went over to the door. "Lara, if this is one of your..."
He felt two strong hands pull him out of the door and pin him against the wall. "Alfred, open the computer and type in the transfer codes," Tasha turned to Sam.
"Sam, please. Can you not get abducted quietly?" Keelah called from inside angrily.
Tasha pushed the button on the door which closed shut. "You. Are. In. Big. Trouble," She hissed at Sam.
"What did I do?" Sam was very confused.
"It's been two and a half weeks. That is enough time. You're retaking command of the Endeavour, right now!"
"But...what? No!" Sam mumbled.
"What the hell do you mean no?" Jaidan's voice came from behind Tasha. "You're cleared Sam. Stop moping around!"
"How did you even get in?" Sam asked.
"Your daughter let us in," Alfred said simply as he tapped away at the console.
"T'Pia? Where is she?" Alfred stepped to one side to show T'Pia sitting on the sofa, working. She smiled and waved at Sam. He looked at her incredulously. "T'Pia? Why are you even up?"
"I was just studying Dad,"
"That's my girl..." he smiled at her before coming to his senses. "...wait, no! Why did you let them in?" Sam felt a hand on his face pull him back towards Tasha.
"Eyes front Bishop. Alfred, are we ready with the codes?"
"Ready for transfer,"
Tasha pulled Sam over to the seat and forced him in. "Type in the codes now Sam."
Sam didn't move.
"Come on Sam. You're ready, buddy. We believe in you," Jaidan said softly.
"Sam...you can't run away from this forever..."
"Captain. It is time. Delaying the inevitable is just... illogical," Sam could have sworn Alfred added the last part with a smile.
"Honey," Sam looked up to see Keelah stand by the door. T'Pia rushed up to her. Smiling lightly and wrapping her arms around T'Pia's shoulders, she looked at Sam. "You can do this,"
"Did...you do this?" Sam asked.
Keelah shook her head. "It was Natasha's idea. I just thought it would be funny to watch," Keelah smirked slightly.
Sam looked at her blankly before turning to the console screen.

USS Endeavour Command Transfer

Transfer from COMMANDER ALFRED VOXAZIL to CAPTAIN SAMUEL ALEXANDER BISHOP.

Enter Command Code COMMANDER ALFRED: #############
Confirmed.

Enter Command Code CAPTAIN BISHOP:

Sam closed his eyes. Opening them he looked around. Alfred, Jaidan, Tasha, T'Pia. And Keelah. All five of them believed in him. He could not betray their trust. Sam's fingers moved automatically.

Enter Command Code CAPTAIN BISHOP: ############
Confirmed.

Command Transfer Complete.

CAPTAIN SAMUEL ALEXANDER BISHOP is now in command.

Sam exhaled.

"Well that was fun...now can you all please leave my quarters?" Keelah broke the silence. "Some of us have work to go to,"

The crew of the Endeavour gave a small smile and bid their farewells as they left. Tasha was the last out. She stopped to look at Sam. "That includes you too Captain. Your first shift begins in seven hours. Sleep well!" she gave a little wave and left, smirking.

Sam looked around, wondering if he was dreaming.

The console told him he was not.

CAPTAIN SAMUEL ALEXANDER BISHOP is now in command.
5 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 94336.2Show
Stardate 94336.2 (3 May 2417)

"Come on," Sam gritted his teeth as the Endeavour shook violently.

"Shields at 72%," Henry reported over the blaring alarms.

"Long range communications?"

"Still jammed sir,"

Sam swore. "How's the Attar and the Forge?"

"Both reporting serious damage but holding,"

Sam nodded, pressing a button on his chair. "Endeavour to Task Force Libra, focus fire on the cube, we need to get that jamming device down,"

"Attar Acknowledges," Timo replied.

"We hear you Sam. Let's double our firepower, Zee, engage saucer separation," Sam heard Keelah say.

Closing the comms channel, Sam looked around the bridge. "Alright Kaci, I want you to run rings around that cube, don't let them get a shot on us,"

"Got it, Captain," Kaci wheeled around.

"Lucy, transfer shield power to weapons, I want everything against that ship,"

"Yes sir," Lucy was smart enough not to question Sam's tactical prowess. Alfred however, did his job and looked at Sam, eyebrow raised.

"Hamish I want every last drop of juice you can pump into those engines,"

"I'll give you that and more Cap,"

Finally, Sam turned around to Sejanus. "Where's the device held?" Sejanus pushed a button and the cube lit up with schematics, showing a pulsing green device at the top. "You have your target then,"

"Target acquired. On your mark,"

"Open fire," Sam said plainly.

The Endeavour zipped around the Borg cube, beams of energy arcing from the phaser banks towards the small device. The cube shimmered as the beams were absorbed by the shielding. Nearby probes shot small beams in retaliation but Kaci held tight to the Endeavour controls, weaving in and out of the beams. The shots that did hit were absorbed by the Endeavour's own shielding.

"Modulate your fire," Sam said, pacing around the bridge. "Keep an eye on our shields. Lucy, try and use the absorbed energy to boost power,"

The bridge was a flurry of activity as the combined fire of the two ships and the two halves of the Valley Forge pounded relentlessly at quickly adapting shielding of the cube. They weren't able to adapt quickly enough, however. "Enemy shields overloading sir,"

"Fire to..."

"This is the Attar to Task Force Libra. We've been hit!"

Sam looked around. "Viewscreen, now!" he commanded. The cube flickered out of site to be replaced with the crippled husk of the Attar, her right nacelle leaking fire and plasma as she spun out of control.

"Timo? What's your status, over?"

"This is Commander Morrisette. Captain Timoreev is dead sir,"

"Commander, what's your status?"

"We've lost engine and weapon power sir and there are reports of the ship being boarded,"

"Standby to beam survivors,"

"No sir. You have to destroy that device," Morrisette's voice was calm and clear. "We'll go down fighting, sir,"

"Do your duty," Sam replied. Flicking the comms off, he turned to Sejanus. "Fire all torpedoes,"

"Torpedoes away," Sejanus replied. "Device is still functioning," he reported to the bridge crew.

"Reload. Kaci, make another pass," Sam commanded without breaking a sweat. The ship was suddenly rocked by an explosion. "Damage report?" Sam ordered.

"That was the Attar sir. She's gone," Henry said.

"Bishop to Valley Forge, the Attar is down, I repeat the Attar is down. We're lining up for another pass of the jamming signal,"

"I hear you loud and cl..." the communication faded to static.

"Henry?"

"Captain. The Valley Forge..." Alfred said, flicking the viewscreen over. Both halves of the ship were being held by a tractor beam and probes were swarming over her like ants.

Sam froze for a split second. "Keelah..." The thought passed quickly. "Sejanus, do we have enough torpedoes to destroy the tractor beam and the device?"

"No sir. The device is too heavily armoured."

Sam paused.

"Sir," Alfred looked at him. "If we delay rescuing the Valley Forge, the cube will reach the planet and begin to assimilate it. If we destroy the device now, we will have an opportunity to call in reinforcements who will arrive in time to prevent it,"

Sam looked back at the Valley Forge, now hidden from view by the probes.

"Kaci, bring us around, Sejanus, I want every last one of those torps to hit," Sam commanded. "Henry, ready the signal,"

The Endeavour whipped away and around the cube, her phaser banks firing at the device to weaken it further. Moving at high speed, the ship hurtled towards the device, almost on a collision course, pulling up at the last second and unleashing a volley of torpedoes. The device was destroyed instantly.

"Endeavour to DS13 and all nearby ships. Requesting immediate reinforcement, Code 7,"

"Kaci, the Valley Forge!" Sam yelled. The Endeavour turned and raced back to the Forge. "Status report?"

"I'm reading multiple borg lifesigns all over the ship and the numbers are increasing," Alfred responded.

"This is...Forge... assimilation. Cannot engage ... destruct,"

Sam glanced around the bridge. "Reinforcements?"

"First responders say they are minutes away," Henry replied.

"Sir... the Valley Forge will be fully assimilated in seconds. If they can't self-destruct..." Alfred reminded.

Sam glanced back at the ship. The Endeavour's shots were not enough to destroy the number of probes around them.

Sam flipped open the console at his chair. Typing in the Valley Forge command codes, he looked up at the ship before closing his eyes and jamming his finger down on the console. He heard the explosion. He opened his eyes to see the shattered remains of destroyed probes around them.

"Shields are down Captain," Lucy reported. "Hull has taken some minor damage,"

"Turn is back on that cube Kaci, we need to destroy it now," he ordered quietly, clearing his throat.

"Yes sir," the ship whipped around and headed back towards the cube, firing at it with everything that she had. But the Endeavour alone wasn't powerful enough to destroy the cube and her own hull was buckling under the heavy fire from the Borg. It was in the nick of time when a transwarp conduit opened and the first of Argo's ships came pouring out; the MacAlpine, the Akagi, the Avalon and the Zulu.

"Endeavour to incoming ships, focus fire on the cube," Sam said before slumping on the chair.

"Computer pause program," he said bitterly and the holodeck program froze. Sam watched the ships opening fire on the cube. "Too damn late," he cursed. "Display record,"

Words appeared in front of him.

Holoprogram Borg Simulation Bishop2231.
Results. Program not complete. Restarted 38 times.

Simulated Outcomes:
Endeavour destroyed 5 times.
Attar destroyed 29 times.
Valley Forge destroyed 5 times.

Cube destroyed 32 times.
Objective failure 6 times.

End Results.

Sam sighed. This was pointless, he knew. He knew that as a tactical exercise it was pointless. He had run Borg simulations so many times. He was an expert in space combat. This was to prove to himself that he could detach emotion from his command decisions. He did that didn't he? So then why had he restarted the program 38 times without completing it once? Why was he looking for that perfect score where nobody died?

"From the top," he muttered. "Computer, restart program,"

Restarted 39 times.
2 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 94340.9Show
Stardate 94340.9 (5 May 2417)

"Come in," Sam looked up from his desk and yawned. The door opened and in walked Tasha, smelling faintly of cherries. Sam crinkled his nose. "Hey Tash, what's up?"

"Don't you "what's up" me," Tasha replied, one arm on her hip. "You missed your appointment,"

Sam leaned back in his chair, rubbing his face and beard with his hands. "That was today right... I'm sorry Tash... work has..."

"Doctor Bishop, you very well know that work is no excuse," she snapped. "Besides," she added, calmly. "You look like you need a break,"

"You're not wrong there," Sam yawned.

"Well, you couldn't come to me, so I came to you," she said, making her way to his sofa and sitting down.

"Tash, you're a right pain," Sam shook his head as he stood, opening a drawer and pulling out some glasses and a bottle of whisky.

"Getting me drunk will not help your cause Sam. You know what I'm like when I'm drunk," Tasha smirked.

"Of course I do," Sam replied, handing her a glass before undoing his jacket and sitting down opposite with his own glass.

"How have you been?" she asked gently.

"Busy,"

"Enjoying command?"

"Yeah... it's alright..."

"See... you just needed the push,"

"I'm not happy with you or Keelah about that you know,"

Tasha shrugged. "Get over yourself. She's nice, your fiancée,"

"You've... you didn't tell her anything did you?"

Tasha looked at Sam plainly. "Have you not told her?"

"No,"

"You might want to,"

"We promised each other we wouldn't Tash..."

"You've told her everything about Jenny,"

"She almost died because of Jenny that's why... She had that right,"

"She has that right now, Sam. You're going to marry her,"

There was a long pause as Sam sipped his whisky. "I am," he said quietly.

"What's wrong Sam?"

"Nothing Tash,"

"Sam... don't lie to me... you're afraid aren't you? Scared of losing her,"

"I am,"

"I know you are Sam. But look, we've been through this. It's a natural feeling, but you can't let it affect you. Not now,"

Sam looked up at Tasha, putting his glass down. "I owe you an apology Tasha,"

Tasha sniggered. "You most certainly do... but why?"

"For Jenny... I took her away from you,"

Tasha was quiet for a long time. "No Sam. You didn't. She went to you,"

"I was terrible to you at the academy,"

"You were terrible to everyone. Didn't stop you... but in your defence, it didn't stop me either,"

"You're probably right... I should tell Keelah. I didn't tell Jenny and I was going behind her back,"

"Sam... it's only partly your fault. You know I was doing it to try and get revenge,"

"Funny way to get revenge..."

"Don't you start Bishop, you were the one cheating,"

"At least Jenny died not knowing,"

"Is that a good thing?"

"No... no, it isn't,"

"Sam... look at me," Sam looked up. "You're not the same person. Keelah is not Jenny. What's done is done,"

"Is it though? I mean, I've been in this position before,"

"Engaged?"

"Not...quite,"

"What do you mean not quite?" Tasha frowned. "Did you..."

"I was about to. The day she was killed. I was about to propose to her. That evening in fact. She said she had something to tell me, and I said I had something to tell her,"

Tasha was silent for a long time. "I guess it was to propose to you,"

Sam shook his head. "No... well, we won't ever know what it would have been. But I don't think it was to propose. It was something else,"

"What?"

Sam exhaled. "Tasha... Jenny was pregnant when she died,"

"What?"

"When... when Jaidan did the autopsy... he found... the fetus died the instant Jenny was crushed,"

The pair sat in silence. When Tasha spoke again, her voice was hoarse. "This is why, isn't it? This is why you're so afraid,"

Sam stood and sat next to Tasha, taking her hand. "There are only a few people who know... you, me... Jaidan and Keelah,"

"You told Keelah?"

"I did,"

Tasha smiled briefly. "You did good there Sam,"

"I had to tell you,"

Tasha sighed. "You had to tell me a lot of things Sam. You really should have. Finding out about it from Alfred when I arrived on the Endeavour. It was not a good feeling,"

"I assumed you'd learn,"

"I had not spoken to her in years. We never stayed in contact after we graduated,"

It was Sam's turn to be stunned. "Tasha...what?"

She looked up at him. "Why are you so surprised?"

"Jenny... Jenny always talked about you. I assumed you were in contact,"

"Jenny..."

"She was... always very fond of you Tasha... I don't think she ever stopped loving you,"

"Oh," Tasha looked away, tears gleaming in her eyes.

Sam put a comforting arm around her, and she leaned into him. "She meant a lot to both of us,"

"She did," Tasha replied, pulling out of his embrace. Sam gently wiped her tears away.

"You meant a lot to me too, at one point,"

Tasha chuckled lightly. "Sam...you alway did know what to say to a girl. And that always made me mad. But look. Don't pretend to have felt something you didn't. You were always Jenny's,"

"And a part of Jenny was always yours,"

Tasha turned to him. "But now Sam... Jenny isn't here. And now, you are for one person, and one person only,"

"You don't need to tell me that,"

"I know. But, since I'm going to be your couples counsellor, it's something I need to remind you,"

Sam tilted his head slightly. "You're not..."

"Leaving? No Sam. I'm staying. I've made my home here. You're staying. Jaidan's staying. I have you guys. Listen Sam, I've been moving from posting to posting, but nowhere has ever been home. With you and Jaidan... you're all familiar faces. And besides," she punched him in the arm. "You need someone who does not roll over for you when it comes to counselling,"

Sam chuckled. "Please don't say I'm going to be stuck with you as my counsellor forever,"

"You realise that's worse for me than it is for you. You are insufferable. You really are. I do feel sorry for Keelah,"

"So do I sometimes," Sam admits.

Tasha stood, draining her glass. "Sam. Take a break. Go home. I'll cover your shift for you,"

"I feel like you should be the one going home, given the emotional news,"

Tasha shrugged. "I'll cope,"

"Tasha..."

"See you Captain," Tasha replied as she left.
3 Likes
Spoiler: The Pirate from the CaribbeanShow
Stardate 94352.2 (9 May 2417)

“Incoming distress call Captain,”

Sam glanced up from his console. “Onscreen,”

Henry shook his head. “Sorry sir, it’s audio only,”

“Play it then Henry,” Sam’s fingers rested gently on his lips as he leaned on the armrest.

“Any available ships, this is the SS Caribbean. We’ve been attacked by the Borg. I repeat, we’ve been attacked by the Borg. Requesting immediate help,”

Sam’s fingers slowly withdrew from his lips, his hand shaking very slightly. “Henry, confirm Borg?”

“Yes sir,”

Sam blinked. “Kaci, get us to that ship, Warp 9!” He spun to Henry. "Set the ship to Yellow Alert, and relay message to all nearby vessels and DS13. Inform them that the Endeavour is moving to intercept,”

“Yes sir,”

The ship lurched into warp. “ETA Kaci?” Sam asked as he stood.

“Thirty Seconds sir,”

Sam turned to Sejanus. “Weapons up and armed,” Sejanus nodded and from behind his head, Sam could see the turbolift open and Alfred step out. “Borg attack,” Sam said simply to his First Officer. Alfred nodded as the ship dropped out of warp. “Kaci, keep us on the perimeter, out of range,” Sam ordered. “If there are too many, we’re going to withdraw. Let’s try not to get in a fight today,” he said. Kaci nodded as she moved the Endeavour closer to the lone wreck in the centre. “Analysis?”

“No Borg in the area Captain,” Alfred reported.

“What of the ship?”

“It seems to be destroyed sir. It’s suffered extensive hull damage,”

“Lifesigns?”

“None sir,”

Sam looked at Alfred. “Borg signatures?”

“No sir,”

Sam exhaled. “That’s a good sign. What about transwarp emissions?”

Henry looked up. “None sir. I am detecting Warp signatures though,”

“Borg?”

“I don’t know,”

Sam narrowed his eyes. Could this be another Kobyashi Maru? “Kaci, take us in, slowly. Alfred, assemble an away team, I want you to take a team over to this ship and tell me what the hell is going on,”

“Sir!”

Sam looked at Henry sharply, expecting the worst. “Well? Spit it out Higginson!”

“It’s… another distress call… coming from a shuttle!”

“Lifesigns?”

“One sir,”

“Onscreen,”

Henry shook his head. “Text…only?” he looked confused.

“Text? Onscreen,”

OPEN SHUTTLEBAY. SHUTTLE BREAKING UP

“Alfred, confirm?”

“The shuttle is in bad condition captain, it is losing structural integrity at a rapid rate.”

“Can we beam the lifesign off?”

“No sir… its shields seem to be up, holding the hull together,”

“Can we get in contact with it? Tell them to lower shields?”

“I’m trying sir… no the communications seem to be down,”

Sam watched as the parts began to break off the shuttle. “Kaci, rotate the ship, and guide him to shuttle bay 1. Have tractor beams guide the ship in,”

“Yes sir,”

“Henry, engage field 201 in shuttle bay 1. Tell security team 3 to meet me there, put the deck on a bio alert and prepare for a biohazard check as soon as the ship enters,”

“Yes sir,”

“Alfred, on me,” he ordered as he stepped onto the turbolift. “Henry, you have the bridge,”

Sam strode out to the shuttle bay where the shield was up and the security was waiting. On the other side of the shield he could see the rest of the shuttle bay, depressurised, and the bay doors open, staring at the stars and void beyond. The small collapsing shuttle could be seen, with a blue light emitting from the Endeavour, trying desperately to hold the last of it together as it moved towards the opening. It was like holding water in your hand; parts of the shuttle were flying off as it inched closer.

“It’s not going to make it,”

“It is Captain,”

As the tractor beam disengaged due to the proximity to the ship, a huge chunk of the vessel flew off.

“Is it?”

Alfred dared not respond as the shuttle hurtled towards the opening. Parts were flying off in huge loads now, faster than before. At the last second, when Sam was sure the shuttle was about to disintegrate, the cockpit slammed into the shuttlebay, screaming towards the shield, skidding to a halt a few paces away.

“Computer, close bay doors and pressurise!” he ordered sharply.

“Sir, bio scans complete, there is no risk of contamination,”

“Is the person inside alive?”

“I don’t know sir, I can’t get any readings,”

“Drop the shield and get a medical team here, stat!”

Almost as soon as Sam gave the order, the shuttle collapsed as the bay pressurised. What happened next, Sam would not have believed if he had not seen it with his own eyes. As the shuttle collapsed, a man jumped out, landing on the floor with an elegant roll and stamding up. The shielding shimmered away and Sam found himself face to face with a tall man, neat blond hair and playful green eyes, his mouth curling into a mischievous smile. He was wearing an unidentified red uniform, and around his waist hung two elegant swords and two pistols.

“Hello Captain!” he said cheerily, as the security team immediately drew their weapons and pointed it at him. The man held up his hands. “Well let’s not be too hasty here!” His voice was very familiar to Sam; that of a British aristocrat.

“Who are you?” Sam asked, eyeing the man carefully. The man grinned as if it was the question he was waiting for.

“Name’s Hawkins. Henry Hawkins,”

“You certainly have a knack for grand entrances Mr Hawkins,” Sam replied, looking back at the lump of metal that used to be spaceworthy.

“Captain Hawkins,”

“I beg your pardon?”

“It’s Captain Hawkins. Of the SS Caribbean,”

“The ship that’s out there?”

“That’s the one,” he grinned. Fine ship, is she not? I built her myself, I'll have you know!"

Sam ignored the man “You said something about the Borg?”

“I did indeed Captain,”

Sam looked at him expectantly. “Care to elaborate?”

“In due course,”

Sam raised his eyebrows. “In due course?”

“I’m much too traumatised at present Captain,”

“Evidently,” Sam said through half gritted teeth. He turned to Alfred “Get an away team over there,”

“I would not recommend that Captain,” Hawkins piped up.

“And why not?” Sam turned back to the man, annoyed.

“I flooded the ship with radiation to prevent any more people turning into Borg. Anything that beams onto the ship will be dead in less than five seconds. Six if you’re in an environmental suit,”

Sam looked at the man. “What kind of radiation?”

“The radioactive kind,”

Internally Sam was holding back the urge to wipe the grin off the man’s face with a right hook. He hated stuck up posh people like him. Always had done. Being rich and well to do was one thing, and one that did not bother Sam, being one of these fortunate and priviallege people. Being entitled and acting the like the rest of the universe owed you something because of that... that was another and Sam despised it. Externally though, Sam was as cool as Andoria during the winter; being a solider had taught him discipline and it helped sometimes.

“Alfred, take our guest to the sick bay and have him checked for injuries. Then arrange some guest quarters for him,”

“Yes sir,”

Sam watched as Alfred and Hawkins left. As soon as the man had gone, he tapped his combadge.

“Lucy, scan that ship, is it safe to beam aboard?”

“No sir. There’s a large radiation leak. I’m afraid that if we don’t stop it it’s going to contaminate the system,”

Sam sighed. “How can we stop it?”

“If we fire a special antimatter torpedo, we can annihilate the ship and the radiation with minimal damage. I recommend we get out of the blast zone as soon as we fire it though.”

“Understood. Do it,”

Sam tapped his combadge and looked at the wrecked shuttle. “Get this mess out of my sight,” he snapped bitterly as he turned and left.

2 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 94362.3Show
Stardate 94362.3 (13 May 2417)

The Endeavour sat in the dry dock, in the orbit of Earth. Sam looked down at his little planet, watching as his country transitioned from night to day. He would often stare at the Earth from orbit. No matter how many planets he'd seen in his life, there was nothing more beautiful than the blue and green hues of the Earth. Beneath that silvered atmosphere was a world packed with so much life and death. And it was beautiful. More beautiful than Sam had ever realised. Earth from space was spellbinding and surreal. No amount of space exploration would dent that fact. Ever.

The door chimed.

"Come," he turned from the window to see Alfred walk in. Sam smiled. "Alfred,"

"You wished to see me Captain?" Alfred responded.

"I did. Please, come sit," Sam moved on to the sofa and sat down, followed by Alfred. "How are you?"

"I am good as always Captain,"

"More like stoic as always,"

"You would be surprised. We do feel emotion, just not like you humans. In your terms, I would feel excited, apprehensive, sad,"

Sam smiled lightly. Alfred always did his best to lower himself down to Sam's level to aid his understanding. "Even after all this time, I feel like I barely know you, my friend,"

"Captain. It takes a lifetime to learn about one's own self. How can I expect you to learn all there is about me in a couple of years?"

Sam smiled again. "I would request you to stay with me, but it would be selfish to deny you of your future. You have saved my life more times than I care to remember. You have been an exemplary First Officer and you will never be able to be replaced. You will make an excellent Captain,"

"I would have learnt from the best,"

Sam scoffed. "I am far from the best,"

"But you are far from the least valuable. You have changed the lives of many of us Captain, though you may not realise,"

"My only wish is that I had a chance to command this crew for longer,"

"Time moves forward unrelenting. I am sure your new crew will be as competent as we were,"

Sam was quiet for a long time. "Everyone is leaving, Alfred,"

"Not everyone. You still have Commander Larson, Lieutenant Commander Reeder, and Lieutenant Jan,"

"Three from seven hundred and fifty," Sam looked at Alfred. "Did you receive your assignment?"

"I did. I am posted here on, Earth Space Dock as a starship consultant. Classified mission. My wife has the same posting,"

"Wife? I did not know you were married Alfred..." Sam watched his friend curiously.

"I am,"

"To whom? Do I know them?"

"I would be concerned if you did not,"

"Who is it?"

"Commander Sola,"

Sam looked at Alfred incredulously. "Lucy? You are married to Lucy?" He shifted forward in his seat to look at Alfred. "When? Why did I not know about this? You're joking right?"

"Vulcans do not lie. We were married almost six months ago,"

"That was during my suspension,"

"It was,"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Not everyone is as forthcoming about their relationships as you are Captain,"

Sam blinked. "I... Well I guess all I can say is congratulations... Late it may be,"

"Thank you Captain. I am also due to remind you that the promotion ceremony is due to take place before the last meal,"

"That's... Now isn't it?"

"Your sense of timing and organisation will be something that I will take forward with me onto my new posting,"

"Dismissed Commander," Sam shook his head, sure that Alfred's lips twitched into a smile as he left.

[/justify]

"ATTENTION TO ORDERS,"

Sam's voice rang loud and clear as he stood front and centre on the Endeavour bridge. All who were gathered were in dress uniform, and stood around the divider that separated the top half of the bridge from the lower half. In a line in front of him, stood the original Endeavour bridge crew.

"The President of the United Federation of Planets has reposed special trust and confidence in the valour, fidelity, and abilities of the officers stood before me today. In view of these qualities and the demonstrated potential for increased responsibility, it is my honour to present to you the following promotions, as of Stardate 94362.8,"

Sam stepped forward. "Ensign Kaci Willene Stephans. You are hereby promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade. Congratulations Lieutenant," Sam pinned the pip onto Kaci's collar, before shaking her hand firmly. Kaci could not hold back her wide grin.

"Thank you Captain!" she beamed, stealing a glance at her new husband. Henry gave her a small smile.

Sam now turned on Henry and Sejanus. "Lieutenant Henry Higginson and Sejanus Jan. You are both hereby promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander. Congratulations Commanders," Sam pinned the pip onto Henry and Sejanus' collar before shaking their hands. Henry grinned. Sejanus remained as still as ever, not even cracking a smile.

"Thank you Captain," was his lone response.

Sam moved on. "Lieutenant Commander Hamish Redmond, Lucy Sola, and Jaidan Reeder. You are all hereby promoted to the rank of Commander. Congratulations Commanders," Sam pinned the pips on the trio and shaking their hands before moving back into the centre.

"Commander Alfred Voxazil." Alfred stepped forward. "In recognition of remarkable leadership, meritorious conduct, and acts of personal bravery, it is my honour to award to you, the Christopher Pike Medal of Valor," Sam stepped forward to pin the award. "Not only this, I have the further honour of promoting you to the rank of Captain. Congratulations Captain," Sam smiled and shook Alfred's hand firmly after he had placed the pin on Alfred's collar. The bridge exploded with applause, in which Sam joined in. Taking the centre for the last time, he looked at the assembled crew.

"These are just a few of the awards and promotions it has been my pleasure to award over the last few days. As we reach the end of our journey together, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you each and every one of you. Most of you have been here ever since the Endeavour first left this very same place five years ago. We have been together through a lot in those five years. We would not have made it if it wasn't for the efforts of you all. Your devotion to this crew, this ship, and this Federation have been that of the highest standard. The friendships we have forged together will last us a lifetime. As we move on to the next chapter of our lives, I wish to part with the same words we started with, the words of Captain Jennifer Cartwright. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.”"

As Sam ended, there was no applause. There wasn't need for it. Instead, Alfred stepped forward to give his first order as a Captain. "Stand to Attention! Crew dismissed!"

3 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 94365.0Show
Stardate 94365.0 (14 May 2417)

Sam stood on Earth Space Dock, watching as the lights of the Endeavour slowly flickered off, one by one. Sam could almost hear the engines winding down for the last time, the slow, comforting buzz coming to a complete stop. Then silence.

"It is always a sad thing, to see a ship go,"

Sam looked sideways to the voice and immediately snapped to attention. "Admiral...Quinn. This is a... unexpected surprise,"

Quinn chuckled lightly and waved his hand at Sam. "At ease, Bishop," Sam was surprised that Quinn knew who he was. Almost as if Quinn had read his mind, he answered. "You look a lot like your father when he was younger. And your brother," So that was the reason. Bishop family connections.

"That is what I am told," Sam replied with a small smile.

Quinn returned to smile as he turned to the Concorde Class ship in the drydock. "It is a shame about these Concordes. Almost like it's namesake,"

"The Concorde plane, of the twenty and early twenty-first century," Sam explained.

Quinn chuckled. "An expert in history I see,"

"I hold a PhD in Archaeology... I would consider myself an expert," Sam responded.

Quinn raised his eyebrows. "It would seem so,"

Sam stood in silence looking at the ship. "It is a sad thing to see a ship go. I am not happy with the transfer, but orders are orders," he confessed.

"Indeed," Quinn looked at Sam sharply, his eyebrows raised. "And orders are given for a reason, by those in higher stations who can see the bigger picture,"

Sam looked back at Quinn. "Forgive me, Admiral, I meant no disrespect..."

"Bishop, listen to me. I've been reading your service history. I will not dress it up for you. It has been sub-par. Your actions in the past few months are something we do not expect of such a decorated and experienced officer such as yourself, especially one with a name like yours, commanding a ship like yours. I hope you realise that your actions, on a ship such as the Endeavour, are subject to greater scrutiny than others. And quite frankly, you do not deserve such a responsibility, if we look at your history. A Command is not a game, I hope you realise that. It is not some easy job that you can sit back and relax. It is not some fantasy or vacation that many see it as. It is hard work. A lot of hard work. From the reports that have been sent from the command of the 38th Fleet, you do not seem to respect that, or carry out your duty as an officer should,"

Sam remained motionless as he was berated by Quinn. He was surprised and angry that the man should judge him so, but his respect for the admiral, combined with the small inkling of knowledge that the man was correct stopped him from yelling back.

"That stops now. Do you understand Bishop? This is your very last chance. By virtue of the extenuating circumstances that you have found yourself in over the past few months, Starfleet Command has reluctantly decided to grant you your new ship. I will tell you. There was one vote that separated you from this command. Just one. And that one vote was only due to the fact that the Endeavour is still suffering from some minor technical difficulties that we hope the engineers on DS13 can fix. Do you understand Bishop?"

"Yes sir,"

"Then do not let me, your brother, or your father down. The names "Bishop," and "Endeavour," carry a big weight. As much as the name "Kirk," or "Picard," or "Enterprise," carry. That is a big responsibility. Your record does show that you are up to that task. But your actions recently do not. That needs to change. And with that..." Quinn turned to the yeoman who was with him, taking a package and handing it to Sam. "Happy Birthday Captain Bishop,"

Sam was very surprised as he opened the package. In it was a wooden plaque;

Spoiler: Quinn's PresentShow
KLScEDQ.jpg

Quinn watched Sam open it. "I was informed by Captain Voxazil that it was your birthday today. Since I had to come and give you this verbal reprimand, I thought it would be best if I gave you this. Your brother had it made when the Endeavour was first launched. He took it off when she was rather unceremoniously drydocked. Seemed rather disappointed when that happened. We found it when clearing out his office, and we thought that it would be best returned to you. It's up to you if you want to put it up,"

"Thank you, Admiral. I will... certainly look," Sam's ran his fingers over the smooth wooden surface, imagining that his brother had once done the same. His eyes caught the Bishop crest. Ashes to Ashes, it proclaimed. Dust to Dust.

Quinn watched as Sam did this. "Now Captain, if you will excuse me, I am a busy man. Remember. This is your final chance. 38th Command are under orders to take your command away if they deem you are not upholding the Endeavour name,"

"Understood Admiral,"

"Very good," Quinn paused a moment before holding out his hand to Sam. "Congratulations Captain," he nodded, shaking his hand firmly before leaving.

Sam watched the man walk away.

"Sam!" Sam turned as Tasha ran up to him and took his hand. "Come here!" she said excitedly, tapping her combadge.

"Larson to USS Bark, two to beam up!"

The pair of them materialised into a small bridge. Jaidan was the only one there, and he looked up as the pair materialised. "Jaidan put the viewer on!"

"Happy Birthday buddy," Jaidan grinned as he spun around. The viewscreen flicked on, and Sam was taken aback.

"Happy Birthday Sam!" Tasha beamed.

Sam stepped closer to the viewer as if he was staring at a ghost. Sat majestically above the Earth, illuminated by the light of the sun, was the flagship of the Endeavour class starships, NCC 98500.

The USS Endeavour.

3 Likes
Spoiler: Fish in a Barrel - Part 1Show

Beta -2

"Welcome back Bishop," Tasha smiled.

"Thanks, Tash," Sam gave her a hug.

"Have fun?"

"It was the greatest trip to Bajor I have ever had,"

"Going there with your wife would do that," Tasha chuckles. "Why'd you come back so soon? You could have stayed another week,"

"Keelah and I weren't wanting too long of a honeymoon. We had things to do. And I wanted to attend these peace talks,"

"Well Bishop, if you want to go, I'm not going to stop you. It just means that I don't have to go!"

"Take care of my ship whilst I'm away?"

"Samuel Bishop, I have been taking care of your ship for the past week. I can look after her for a few more hours!"

"Thanks Tash... now, where's my dress uniform?"

"I'm your Acting XO, not your yeoman. Or your wife. Find it yourself,"
4 Likes
Spoiler: Fish in a Barrel - Part 2Show

Beta - 0.2

Keelah is online

Me:
Hey gorgeous, just to let you know, I found my dress uniform!
Keelah:
Where was it?

Me:

Me:
Where you said it was...
Keelah:
I married an idiot...

Me:
:p

Me:
I love you. I hope you enjoyed our honeymoon and I'm sorry for dragging us back this early; I just couldn't miss this.
Keelah:
It's okay, I was dreading the amount of work I had to do when I came back!

Me:
I hope it's not too much! You should relax! After this is over, we can enjoy a few more days together without work. We can set up the holodeck and pretend we never came back.
Keelah:
Don't tempt me Sam...

Me:
Hehe
Keelah:
(we should totally do it!)

Me:
Well, once this is over, I'll be on the first shuttle back to your arms!
Keelah:
Hehe, I can't wait!

Me:
Wish me luck, the conference is starting! There's an empty seat left and I want to see if I can grab it; there's no way I'm standing for this...
Keelah:
Have fun. I love you!

Me:
Love you too!

4 Likes
Spoiler: Fish in a Barrel - Part 3Show

Gamma +2

Sam sat on the desk of his ready room. His hair was matted with dried blood. His dress whites had crimson patches, both on his ripped jacket, and his trousers. Sam's gaunt eyes stared out of the window, to the thin streaks of the stars at warp. The ship felt different, the usual hum of the warp engines felt strained. His eyes dropped around the ready room. Books and paper littered the floor, the chairs overturned. The globe on his desk had fallen off and had snapped out of its casing. The model of the HMS Endeavour had also fallen on the floor, the masts snapped off and the sails ripped. His eyes fell on the ship in a bottle that Keelah had given him for Christmas last. It had been saved from the destruction around it, landing on the carpeted floor. He stooped down to pick it up. It was intact, thankfully. He placed it on his desk; the only stable thing in the room that was full of chaos.

"Computer, activate Jenny," he muttered.

"Holographic emitters offline,"

"Of course they are," he nodded his head and sighed. Book cleanups would take a while.

"Next time, I should put them behind a glass case. Or maybe I should go digital..."

"Bridge to Captain Bishop. We have arrived at K-7"

Sam tapped his badge. "Copy that bridge, request clearance to dock. Which other ships have arrived?"

"The USS Akagi, Kassandra, Victory, and Axiom, are all here,"

"Roger that. Have the transporter standing by, I will beam down shortly,"

"Yes sir,"

Sam stood up and took his jacket off, tossing it onto the overturned chair. He walked over to the replicator and pressed a button on the nearby wall. It slid away easily and Sam gently washed his face in the basin, tasting and smelling the metallic blood as it disappeared. There. He looked slightly more presentable. As he made his way to the door, he paused, his hand moving up to his head, a pain suddenly erupting. His hand came away red, the wound had reopened.

"I should head down to me..." he stopped himself. There was no medical. Not anymore. A wayward beam had taken care of that.

He sat back down on his desk, to give himself a moment before he left again. The last thing he wanted to do was pass out again. His fingers absentmindedly pulled out a picture from one of the drawers. There were three cadets, one wearing a blue stripe, the two wearing red. One girl, with long blonde hair, two boys, one with black hair, the other with brown. Their arms were around each other's shoulders and they looked... happy. The caption read: "Cadets Jaidan Reeder, Samuel Bishop, and Jenny Cartwright, class of 2399,"

"Please look after him in heaven Jenny. At least you're no longer alone," he whispered. He stared at the picture for a few more seconds before putting it down on the table and walking out of his room.
3 Likes
Spoiler: Fish in a Barrel - Part 4Show

Gamma +2 - 15 Days since the Evacuation

Sam sat staring at the case on his desk. His dress jacket was undone, and flopped across his body. A glass of whisky and a lone PADD was also on the desk. His fingers brushed over the medals stored within. He could sense the ebbing pride he had in them as looked across them all. From the giddiness of his first Academy graduation medal, to the third Bronze Star he had just added to his collection. A fine addition indeed.

He shook his head. Pieces of worthless metal. He did nothing. Nothing. Nothing brave, or heroic. He just did his job. Giving this medal to him lowered the merits of those who had achieved. Those who had truly accomplished. Like Keelah. Like Isadora. Like Tasha. Like Gabriella. They were the ones that deserved it. Not him. And yet, duty had made him go and accept these medals, made him stand in front of his peers and colleagues, held up as an example of exemplary duty. He was not exemplary. He was flawed. Deeply flawed. His eyes refocused on the collection of medals. His service jacket showed eight campaigns. Medals for bravery against enemies of the Federation. There was only a pair of medals he was truly proud of. The Prentares Ribbon of Commendation. For outstanding contributions to the advancement of the Federation through exploration or diplomacy. Peaceful. Medals of peace. Not the ones that he had gained through the blood of others. He closed the case and rested his head on the cool wooden lid, which had the Bishop crest carved onto it.

He was correct when Rosewood met him in the medbay. He was a solider. His service record showed it. His service jacket showed it. The bloodstained medals showed it. He was the sword and shield of the Federation. He would protect her ideals with his life, if it came to that. That's what Bishops did. Loyalty and Duty. How many times had that been drilled into his head ever since he could talk?

It was not just the Federation he had a duty to. He had a duty to his family... Sam lifted his head to look at the picture of Keelah he had on his desk. Her beautiful smile disarmed him instantly. He tore his eyes away from hers. He had been reckless and had been shot for no reason other than his own pride. And yet... and yet, that was his job. That was his role as a soldier. To give his life. This turmoil had bothered him greatly of late. His marriage only made it worse. He had a family. So, what was his duty? Where did his loyalties fall? To the Federation? Or to his wife whom he promised to love and cherish for as long as he lived... ah... there it was. There was his clever way out. For as long as he lived. He had created his own back door.

He placed the photo down, unable to look at his wife for the betrayal he committed. On their own wedding day. Whilst Keelah had vowed to remain by his side forever, he had tricked and manipulated his way out. It scared him. It terrified him. That his natural state would be one of defence. One that gave his life, not to someone he loved, but to an institution he was born into.

All at once, his brother's actions hit him hard. This was turmoil he faced. This was what he tried to prevent. What he had tried to tell him. Duty to family. Not to the Federation.

"Larson to Bishop,"

Sam blinked a little, before scrambling for his combadge. He squeezed it tight.

"Bishop here,"

"Deep Space Thirteen Casualty lists just came in. You wanted to see them?"

"Put them through..."

Sam picked up the PADD which flashed with the incoming transmission. Sam shook his head at the list of names. Names that he should have protected. One name he should have protected... His hand trembled as he quickly did a search.

ENSIGN Aruyo Lara. Missing, presumed Killed in Action

The PADD clattered onto the table. He buried his face in his blood-soaked hands. Lara's face appeared in his memories. Her smile on his wedding day. Sam broke down, his tears staining his dress whites.
5 Likes
Spoiler: Fish in a Barrel - Part 5Show

FX | Sam's ready room door chimes

Sam takes his face out of his hands, and looks at the door curiously. Wiping his tears on his sleeve, he clears his throat. "Come in,"

T'Pia bounds in, "Hi dad!"

Sam blinks. "Oh... T'Pia," he smiles as he stands

T'Pia hustles over to greet him with a hug

Sam wraps her in a warm hug and gently kisses the top of her head. "How are you?"

T'Pia: "I'm... commendable!" she grins up at him

Sam: "Oh?" he holds her at arm's length and looks at her. "Commendable?"

T'Pia giggles, pulling the medal from behind her back and pinning it firmly back in place on her tunic, "Can you believe it? I'm not even /in/ Starfleet yet!"

Sam his eyes widen as he bends down to look at it. "My dear, this is wonderful!"

T'Pia beams proudly, "It's unbelievable! I... think mum had a hand in this... she seemed preeeetty sure for why I was given it..."

Sam: "Oh? Why did I not guess your mother had a hand in it?" he chuckles. "What was it for?"

T'Pia clears her throat and speaks as though quoting, "in recognition of her exceptional conduct in saving the crew of the Valley Forge from a transphasic parasite"

Sam quirks his eyebrow. "That's no way to speak about your mother," he chuckles

T'Pia giggles, "No! It was after we helped the Alesia colony. They thanked us with a provision of some local delicacies"

T'Pia: "Turned out one of the crates had this parasite festering inside but it didn't register any biofilters because it was transphasic..."

Sam: "Now, this is a story I haven't heard," he smiles as he sits back in his seat

T'Pia bows her head, "Thinking back, it was actually really scary..."

Sam takes her hand. "Well, that makes this commendation even greater now, doesn't it?"

T'Pia leans back against the edge of his desk, "Well sure, I mean... I know mum nominated me for it, like she does for all the crew"

T'Pia: "Huh?" she looks around, having caught something unexpected on the desk, "What's this?" she asks curiously, picking up the box

Sam: "That's one of the jobs of a commanding officer you know," he smiles. "Recognising when people are due to receive awards," he looks at that box. "It's something that I should get for you, now!" he grins. "Come, take a look," he pushes the PADD away and pulls the box closer to the pair. He gently unlatches it, and lifts the lid for her to see.

T'Pia 's eyes widen, "Woooow... are they all yours, or is this a collection for the whole ship?"

Sam: "These are just mine, over the years. If we had one for the entire ship, we'd fill up this room. There are many decorated officers here!"

T'Pia: "Oooh... I think mum has quite a few too, doesn't she? I have... vivid memories of standing in front of the fleet for presentations..."

Sam: "Your mum does indeed, she's quite well decorated. I can see who you take it from," he chuckles. "But now, I need to get you your own box, for all the medals you'll be getting," he says proudly

T'Pia beams proudly again, "That does sound exciting!" she frowns a little looking at his collection, "...she doesn't like them, does she"

Sam: "My medals, or hers?"

T'Pia shakes her head, "Hers. I know she keeps them locked away, and I feel..." her head dips, "...remorse"

Sam tilts his head. "Well, I can't claim to speak for your mother, but you see here, out of all these medals, do you know which one I'm most proud of?"

T'Pia shakes her head more vigorously and turns a curious look to him

Sam takes out the two Prentares Ribbon of Commendations and gives them to her. "These were for service to the Federation through diplomacy. Your mother has a lot of these. A lot,"

T'Pia looks at them in her hand and nods, "Yes, these are... familiar" she smiles, "These are warmer memories I think, prouder"

Sam: "Of course they are. These medals are for doing something great. Without the need for violence or death," he smiles. "Your mother, is great at that. She keeps a cool head when everyone else loses theirs. It's something I hope you will learn from your mother," he pats her head

T'Pia smiles, shucking her shoulders a little for the head pat. She traces a thumb of the metal of one and nods, "It's very important to her; proving she can control her emotions. I know from how focused our mind melds were on that. Is that why these are you proudest too? Because of what they represent?"

Sam: "Yes. It shows to me that I'm more than what these other medals show me to be,"

T'Pia tilts her head curiously, "Why? Do the others not represent great achievement also?"

Sam: "They do," he nods. "In most circumstances, they are to be praised. If you were to win one, you would not know how proud I would be. How proud I am now," he smiles. "But I won these for mainly doing what I was told to do, in war. It's easy to win medals in war. It's harder to do so in peacetime. That, is true bravery,"

T'Pia frowns a little, not really understanding the context for lack of wartime experience. "But... we're not at war now, and they gave lots of people medals?"

Sam: "Exactly," he beams. "That is why everyone who receives a medal now, is worthy of the praise given to them. They don't do it because they're told to. They do it because they are great officers,"

T'Pia: "But then... if medals given in wartime are devalued, why do they give them more then?"

Sam sighs, not sure if he wants to give her his cynical opinion on these matters. "That... is a good question," he states simply

T'Pia looks from the box to Sam and back, "That's why you had these out, isn't it. Trying to answer that question" she slowly turns her gaze back to him

Sam smiles. "The reason I had this out was to put my medals that I won in it," he teases, pinching her nose lightly

T'Pia crinkles her nose, smiling softly as she looks him over again. Yeah, she can read him better than he thinks. She follows up with another long hug, still resting her head on his shoulder as she perches on the arm of his chair, "So what are all these different ones?"

Sam: "Those? Those are campaign medals. For all the battles that I've served in. Everyone gets one of those,"

T'Pia: "Aah, that's why they look different to the rest!"

Sam: "Mhm! They're rather fancy," he picks up the Hur'q medal and pins it to her chest. "You served in this one, so you should get one! Well, you shouldn't because you're not Starfleet, but... I won't tell if you don't,"

T'Pia blinks and looks down at it, "But we weren't involved in engagements with the Hur'q?"

Sam: "You might not have been, but there are many other roles in the campaign outside that of direct engagement,"

T'Pia: "Really? So these count for just being in service during the times the conflict took place?"

T'Pia looks down at the medal pinned to her, clearly liking the feeling of accomplishment but then frowning, "I think then I see why you said wartime devalues them..."

Sam nods. "Most of these service medals are,"

T'Pia traces a finger across it smiling again, but the shakes her head and removes it, setting it back in the box. "I didn't earn it, and accepting it would only devalue your achievement dad. But thank you" she smiles, kissing him on the cheek

Sam just corrects the positioning slightly. He's very fussy like that. "And thank you..." he stands, pulls on his jacket and stands to attention. "For your services to the Federation," he says formally. "Congratulations, Ms Bishop-Se'Lai,"

T'Pia mirrors his attentive stance, just less successful at looking serious as she grins playfully

Sam relaxes. "You... need to stand a bit straighter," Sam lifts her head up a tad. "And keep your head just a bit higher. And square your shoulders, like this,"

T'Pia: "Oh, right!" she giggles and tries again, face straighter as she focuses better. ]T'Pia stiffens, straightening her back, "Like this?" she asks, raising her chin a little

Sam: "There, much better. You know that they have classes in the Academy for this?"

T'Pia: "You know mum used to secretly enjoy them as she found it quite meditative?" she grins, briefly forgetting herself but snapping back.

Sam raises his eyebrow. "Did she now?" he chuckles. "Typical Se'Lai..."

T'Pia nods firmly, "You should ask her about it sometime. She doesn't like to think about them because it was very hard for her, but I think you would find it interesting as who she used to be" T'Pia apparently feels no shame in betraying her mother's deepest emotional secrets...

Sam blinks, at the fact that he was getting marriage counselling from his not-even-one-year-old daughter. "I will, when we get the chance to sit down," he smiles. "We barely do, because of all this," he glances to K-7 outside his window

T'Pia: "I hope we can do more of that now you're better still..."

Sam frowns sadly and strokes her cheek. "I would love nothing more, but... I'm afraid that it's going to be a lot busier now. We have to rebuild,"

T'Pia nods, dipping her head with a slight pout

Sam: "Hey, hey, hey," he says, lifting her chin up. "When your mother and I put on our uniforms, we do it for you. I want you to always remember that. Whatever we do, we always do it for you," he smiles. "Because there's nothing more important in the universe than you," he kisses her forehead

T'Pia slowly turns her eyes back up to meet his; slightly watery and wearing a sad smile, "I just wish we could all be together more"

Sam: "I know. And I do too. But I'm really glad you live with your mother. I really am,"

T'Pia pauses a moment before pouncing a hug around his shoulders

Sam closes his eyes and hugs her tightly, "You know, it just makes these moments with you extra special," he whispers

T'Pia smiles warmly as she eases back from the hug, "You have a point there, dad! Very logical" she grins

Sam: "What can I say, I married a Vulcan. Logic rubs off on you,"

T'Pia: "Not as much as grandma wishes..."

Sam: "You could learn a lot from your grandmother you know,"

T'Pia: "It would be nice to spend more time with her. I don't even know her well from mum, at least... not in any good way. But I know they've started to repair the relationship now!"

Sam: "Family is the most important thing for us Bishops, you know,"

T'Pia nods firmly, "I... I wish I could have know uncle Seb better..."

Sam: "I er... oh," he seems disarmed by that question. "He was... well... a very respectable man,"

T'Pia holds a hand against his chest to pause him, smiling softly, "I didn't mean to... I just, well, like you said; family is important and I only have vague memories of him..." T'Pia 's smile warms, "I remember that he felt strong. Confident and... reassuring"

Sam smiles. "We will visit home one day, and I will teach you all that I can about my family. About your family,"

T'Pia: "I would very much like that!"

Sam: "As would I," he smiles "Hey, come here," he takes her hand

T'Pia smiles, resting her hand in his

Sam gently pulls her ouy to the bridge and points to the Captain's seat

T'Pia sticks close to his side, a little intimidated by the big fancy bridge and all the officers quietly working away

Sam: "Take a seat," he smiles

T'Pia gives him an unsure look before slowly looking to the seat, "...really?"

Sam: "Yes, really!" he takes her hand. "I'm with you the whole time,"

T'Pia smiles and nervously steps up to the big chair, standing in front of it a moment as she takes it in before turning and slowly lowering herself into it

Sam grins and takes the seat next to her. "Sorry Tash, I'm nicking your seat," he calls

T'Pia wriggles around a little, feet swinging as she looks around the room

[Tasha] "It's not my seat!"

Sam: "How does it feel?" he asks her gently

T'Pia gradually leans herself back - causing feet to dangle more prominently - and sliding her hands along the armrests "It feels... proud"

Sam: "Good," he looks to Pippa. "Helm, lay in a course around the system and back. Impulse speed only. On... orders of the Acting Captain," he looks at T'Pia

Sam: "On your command, ma'am," he beams

T'Pia can't help but grin happily for a brief moment, having to take a deep breath to steady her nerves. She closes her eyes a moment and points forward, " Helm, take us out; let's give them the show they've been waiting for!"

[Pippa] glances at Sam.

T'Pia blinks and flushes deeply, "I- I mean... take us out." she nods, shying away quickly

Sam: "You heard the lady Ms Bonzi," Sam chuckles. "Just like your mother," he says gently to T'Pia

[Pippa] "Aye aye sir... I mean, Miss," she smirks and punches the command

T'Pia nods silently, having turned pale as a ghost

FX| The ship turns away from the station and moves out at low impulse, before suddenly zooming forward!

Sam: "You okay?" he notices T'Pia's light shade

T'Pia: "You said it... just like mum..."

T'Pia looks to Sam, "Sorry dad, tha-... that was a vivid memory trigger I had not anticipated..." she tries to shake the feeling off

Sam takes her hand and squeezes it tight.

T'Pia gives his a light squeeze in response but soon nods her head and looks ahead to the viewscreen

FX| The emptiness of space gives way to the satellites of the system as the ship runs her course around

Sam: "This view should not be seen from the viewscreen," he smiles. "One of the best things about this bridge is this," he stands and holds out his hand for her and leads her to the glass front

T'Pia stands, following more eagerly "Wooooow...." she awes, pressing her face and hands up against the screen

Sam: "There," he leads her to the front, where the large glass screen shows the view. He puts an arm around her shoulder and stands next to her, looking out

T'Pia: "I would spend so much time up here taking it all in if the Valley Forge bridge was like this!"

Sam grins. "You can always sit in out quarters and see the same view," he smiles. "Besides, on missions, civilians are restricted access to the bridge,"

T'Pia: "But even in our quarters the view isn't so... expansive!"

Sam chuckles. "Look, we're going past K-7. First one to spot the Valley Forge, wins!" he points to K7 as it appears

T'Pia: "oh oh oh!" she cranes her neck trying to get a better view

Sam: "Oh I found it!" he grins, pointing to the Lexington

T'Pia squints then shakes her head, grinning, "That's not mum's ship, that's the Lexington! See-" she points"- it has a different polymer ablative on the hull so doesn't catch the light like..like that!" she points to the other side

Sam: "Huh, I did not know that,"

T'Pia looks back up at him with a proud smile, "The Valley Forge is one ship I've been able to study more than any! And having the Lexington on hand to compare makes these distinctions very apparent!"

Sam: "Of course," he chuckles. "So... you win!"

T'Pia: "Yay!" she giggles, "That may not have been fair on you though" she leans against him, enjoying their daddy-daughter time

Sam: "You're talking to someone who has over thirty years of experience with ships, I should have got that one!"

T'Pia hrms playfully, "Maaaaybe you'd have had a fairer chance as an engineer... or, well, on just about any other ship in the fleet!" she giggles

Sam chuckles and tickles her stomach. "I'll have you know that I know the Valley Forge quite well, thank you very much!"

T'Pia squirms and giggles profusely, "Daaad, no- da-... DAD!"

Sam laughs and stops as Tasha pulls in behind them and coughs a little

[Tasha] "I just thought that our young Captain would like to be in the chair as we complete our round?" she enquires

T'Pia tries her best to beat the giggle fit as she looks around

Sam: "I believe that our Captain is overwhelmed by a strange alien attack that has left her inoperative. Therefore, I, as First Officer, will do the job!"

Sam glances back at T'Pia "Race you to the seat!" he says before jogging off

T'Pia gasps, "No fair, you cheated!" as she tails after him

Sam slows as he reaches the Captain's chair, winking at her and nods to the chair, taking the XO chair for himself

T'Pia pauses after barely making the central arch before he wins, beaming as she bounds over for another moment of glory. No hesitation in taking the seat this time

[Pippa] "Well Captain, we're nearing the end of our run. Orders?"

T'Pia glances to Sam briefly, not wanting to assume to say or do anything without permission

Sam: "That's for you, my dear," he nods his assent

T'Pia looks back to Pippa, "Helm... bring us back to our starting coordinates; maintain position until further orders" she again looks to Sam, hoping she got it right

[Pippa] "Yes ma'am," she says without hesitation. "Orders recieved and understood. Bringing us about, 348.3 mark 8 and holding,"

Sam smiles. "You'll make a fine Commanding Officer," he smiles

T'Pia grins, "I have a lot to live up to between you and mum! And grandma... and uncle Seb..."

FX| The Endeavour smoothly makes her final turn before sliding into the position she was before and slowing to a stop.

Sam ruffles her hair. "You do not have to worry about that. You've already lived up to, and far exceeded, us all,"

T'Pia smiles, flushing lightly, "One day..."

Sam shakes his head. "You did that the moment you were born, my love," he leans over and kisses her head

T'Pia flushes deeply again, "Thank you for this, dad!"

Sam: "No," he smiles. "Thank you,"

FX| There is definitely not a dry eye on the bridge

T'Pia: "One day I hope I really will give you and mum something to be proud of! I don't care how hard I have to work, I'm going to get into the ASDB and, one day..." she smiles back up at him, "One day... when I design a new ship, we'll all be on the bridge for the maiden voyage - you, me and mum"

Sam stands and hugs her tightly. "Of course,"

T'Pia: "And on that day I will know I have done something worthwhile to make you both proud!" she nods firmly. She's decided. It's happening that exact way, no choice

Sam does his best to fight back his own tears. He is not going to cry in front of his crew. He buries his head in her hair

T'Pia hugs him back tightly

Sam: "I love you," he mumbles quietly

T'Pia: "I love you too, dad" she replies softly

[Endeavour Bridge Crew] "Awwww"

Sam: "Come on sweetheart," he pulls out of the hug. "Let's not disturb my crew too much now. We'll go down to the lounge, and replicate something sweet for you," he strides towards the turbolift.

T'Pia giggles "Of course! Thank you everyone!" she says to the bridge crew and bundles after him.

Sam pauses before the doors shut. "Alright you lot, get to work!" he says to his crew, before he disappears.

[Tasha] "He's not even the Captain right now..." she shakes her head.
3 Likes
Spoiler: FutilityShow
Spoiler: Communication: For Captain OnlyShow
Sam@drcrippler FX| The Endeavour is sitting just outside the Hydrae system, monitoring communciations from the planet, and making sure that the two officers on the planet are safe.

Riomi pipes up, "Captain; incoming hail from the planet's surface. It's Commander Leveson-Scott"

Sam@drcrippler looks up. "Onscreen..." he waits patiently for the signal to transmit

Riomi frowns a little as she taps away, "Sir... she's using a Starfleet encryption; Captain's eyes only. Do you want me to patch it through to your ready room?"

Sam@drcrippler nods. "Do it. Tasha, bridge is yours,"

Sam@drcrippler enters the ready room and taps his console. "Bishop here, what's going on Commander,"

Mischa@crystyll 's face appears on the console, "Captain, I trust things are proceeding as planned from your end?"

Sam@drcrippler nods. "We're prepping for a relief team down, our guests are being questioned, and I'm considering the daring plan we discussed the other day,"

Mischa@crystyll: "Has Commander Jekk heard anything back from the Cooperative yet?"

Sam@drcrippler shakes his head. "Nothing new. They're sending a representative over, and will begin to question our guests when they do arrive,"

Mischa@crystyll: "Here's hoping they can piece something together from the Thrres array's impact on the Borg here..." she pauses, clearly holding back on something

Sam@drcrippler notices her pause. "Mischa, is everything okay down there? You don't need an evac do you? We have our MACO team on standby if you do,"

Mischa@crystyll shakes her head, "It's not that, Sir. It's just... well, it's something I had hoped to return and speak to you in person about by now. But with the mission clock ticking, I do not want to leave anything to chance"

Sam@drcrippler frowns. "What is it Mischa?" he asks gently

Mischa@crystyll: "Captain, you recall from our preliminary reports; our observations and hypotheses about the Borg presence here"

Sam@drcrippler nods. "The Federation ship? The Endeavour? How could I forget?"

Mischa@crystyll: "And the local news bulletin we witnessed which included a message from this Borg 'Emperor'"

Sam@drcrippler: "Yes..." he looks at Mischa, wondering if she is going where he thinks she is

Mischa@crystyll: "Well Sir, in lieu of any formal identification - and knowing that not everyone in the squad made the connection - I have not spoken further on the matter"

Sam@drcrippler: "Who is it Mischa?" he says, quietly

Mischa@crystyll: "Captain... Sam..." she offers with softening tone, "The Emperor is... what's left of Admiral Sebastian Bishop"

Sam@drcrippler: "Oh," he leans back in his chair, his hand slowly moving up to his hair to brush it to one side. His hand is shaking visibly, and his face looks pale. "I see,"

Mischa@crystyll 's head dips, wishing she were there in person to somehow ease the burden of the news, "I am sorry, Sam. But I did not want you learning this by chance at a critical time"

Sam@drcrippler: "No, you did the right thing. It is what was to be expected anyway,"

Mischa@crystyll nods, "There is an undeniable logic in how things have unfolded here with the command structure and other similarities. But perhaps that is still reason to maintain hope"

Sam@drcrippler: "And you're sure of this Mischa?" he looks at Mischa with his bright green eyes

Mischa@crystyll nods, head dipping solemnly, "As sure as I am able from a visual only ID at least"

Sam@drcrippler: "This is a problem," he says, suddenly serious. "Mischa... Seb was ... head of Borg operations..."

Mischa@crystyll: "I am aware" she nods again, "But whatever the Borg learned from him before this disconnection, is done now. And any restricted information he had access to will have already been resecured. Were we going up against the Borg now, I'd say it was time to rewrite the book that he knew. But Sam..." she shakes her head, "...This enemy is not the Borg"

Sam@drcrippler opens his mouth to speak, but pauses. "What are they?"

Mischa@crystyll: "Nazi's. For want of a better comparison. Mid 20th century Nazi's during the occupation of central Europe; that is far more consistent with what we are seeing down here"

Sam@drcrippler would have spit out his drink if he was drinking any. His mouth opens wide. "But... why? How?"

Mischa@crystyll shakes her head, "Do not take it as a literal re-enactment, but the behaviours and patterns we have seen here... there are similarities. The regimented occupation forces, political propaganda across the media, even the way this resistance has de-evolved tech to counteract Borg defences..."

Sam@drcrippler sucks his cheeks. "Where there's a will, there's a way..."

Mischa@crystyll nods, "Honestly, it is quite commendable what they have achieved with no real support. But I would encourage the questioning of your guests on board to learn more of this pattern as there may be intentional mirroring going on. That's assuming your brother had half the interest in military history as you do..."

Sam@drcrippler shakes his head. "My brother had many interests... No, I'm still worried about what the Borg know because of Seb. He didn't just know the confidential stuff. I've been assured that that's under wraps. But he knew everything. The strengths. The weaknesses. Things he was planning but didn't get to write down or tell. They got his intelligence, his stubbornness, his cunning... they got... him…” Sam’s voice wavers slightly and he stops. "Rest assured, we'll question them,"

Mischa@crystyll nods, "I understand Sir, believe me I do. But whatever they got; they have already got and nothing will change that now. However given how far from typical Borg action these ones are, I believe we may be able to handle them more effectively if considered in the context they are portraying. In short; there is little value in rewriting our Borg tactics book, if the Borg themselves are not playing to it" she smiles a little in reassurance

Sam@drcrippler nods. "You're right. Is there anyway we can extrapolate their next move, from this context? Can we shut it down before it happens?" he thinks. "Nazi occupation was one of fear and control. To remove dissidents that could subvert the war effort whilst it was going on. They'll be trying to end this war with us, to solve their issue,"

Mischa@crystyll: "Difficult to say as I lack the detailed historical knowledge to draw from. But I thought, perhaps with your stronger understanding of anthropological inclincations..." she nods and smiles, quickly seeing that she was right

Sam@drcrippler strokes his beard. "So... what will they be trying to do... they can't defeat Starfleet on their own... they'll need help... help from whom? The collective?" he uses Mischa as a wall to bounce ideas off

Mischa@crystyll: "It is possible, and certainly an objective we can't discount"

Sam@drcrippler: "Well, to communicate with anyone they'll need to find a way past the subspace block. Our finest minds can't do it yet, so... how can they? Or are they developing a better warp core? Do the Thrres have warp capacity?"

Mischa@crystyll: "They do. But I don't know, something doesn't sit right still..."

Sam@drcrippler: "Go on?"

Mischa@crystyll: "Well, if they were in a war against Starfleet, and the Collective their ally to call on... they would be attempting to leave the planet and reconnect like Borg… but they do not assimilate beyond necessity, and do not seem to utilize the technology available on the planet to simply leave..."

Sam@drcrippler nods. "This I have wondered. Especially since now they have warp drive, when before they had little to none. Are the resistance undermining their efforts?"

Mischa@crystyll: "To the best of their abilities, but when the Emperor's regime can so effortlessly sweep an entire city in response to an attack, they are understandably restrained"

Sam@drcrippler winces at the mention of Emperor. "So... what's happening then?" he thinks. "I'm sending the rogue in to steal the Endeavour back,"

Mischa@crystyll: "I believe we can coordinate the resistance into a counterstrike on a larger scale when that occurs"

Sam@drcrippler: "You know where the ship is?"

Mischa@crystyll nods, "The resistance has a location, though it remains unverified it does fit the facts; the Alosha continent - heart of the Empire"

Sam@drcrippler: "I believe I can get the guests to verify where that is," he nods

Mischa@crystyll: "Even if the location checks out, we are not likely to learn how secure or even spaceworthy the ship is"

Sam@drcrippler: "That information has to be somewhere... you can't hack into the database without getting caught? Shall I send in Kannys?"

Mischa@crystyll gives him a look, "Really Captain, if you want me to run a cross-continent behind enemy lines op, all you have to do ask!" she grins

Sam@drcrippler smiles weakly. "I don't want you to get caught or killed unnecessarily. Besides, Kannys, trained for this his entire life. The pair of you would be better than one,"

Mischa@crystyll: "And he will be the first to tell you that you don't put all your eggs in one basket"

Sam@drcrippler: "Hey, one operative up here, and another down there would be a pincer attack... no I'm just afraid of the reprecussions. Whatever we do, the Thrres feel it, and I don't want to place them in undue harm. Doesn't make for a great First Contact..."

Mischa@crystyll: "Believe me, after spending time with their refugees... their wellbeing is first and foremost in my mind too"

Sam@drcrippler softens. "If there's anything we can send down. Food, medical supplies, the like, then let me know. I need to talk to command about our options going forward,"

Mischa@crystyll nods, "It would be easy to say send everything. But we must be mindful not to make them dependent, or give them so much it becomes a burden if they have to move quickly again"

Sam@drcrippler nods "Exactly. Let me know what is needed urgently, and I can send it over..." he looks at Mischa. "How is everything down there?"

Mischa@crystyll: "It is hard not to feel for these people, seeing them suffer like this. But we are slowly earning their trust..."

Sam@drcrippler nods. "Good. Make sure they know that we're allies and there to help them,"

Mischa@crystyll: "By the time we're done here, Sir; we will all be honorary Thrress" she smiles

Sam@drcrippler: "You sure it's Thrress? Thrri? Thrreses?" he chuckles

Mischa@crystyll: "I'm still working on my pronounciations" she chuckles, "But I should not keep you any longer, and I have a group of fighters waiting to learn the finer art of guerilla combat..."

Sam@drcrippler smiles. "I'll send you my book," he winks. "Take care Mischa. Bishop out,"

Mischa@crystyll disappears from the screen

Sam@drcrippler frown disappears as he quickly taps his screen, sending a message. He waits for a response. When he receives it, he stands and departs.

Sam@drcrippler: "Relieved, commander," he takes his seat

Tasha “Everything okay Sam? What was that about?”

Sam@drcrippler: "Nothing,” he states simply.

Me:
I love you. I miss you. Kiss T'Pia for me.

Keelah is online
Keelah:
What's happened? Is everything alright?

Keelah:
Sam?

Me:
I'm okay sweetheart... just... some news is all...
Keelah:
What news? From the mission? Is everything okay? Is Mischa okay?

Me:
Yes, baby. Everyone is okay...
Keelah:
What's wrong Sam? Stop being so stubborn! You know I don't like it when you leave me in suspense like this...

Me:
Keelah... I was right... Seb...
Keelah:
Are you on duty?

Me:
Yes, I am.
Keelah:
Are you okay? I don't have to message Tasha to relieve you of command, do I?

Me:
Hey Captain Se'Lai, it's Tasha, I'm sitting next to him, don't worry, he's in safe hands!
Keelah:
:o

Keelah:
... did you really just show her the message?

Me:
Only that one... you worry too much...

Me:
(it's Sam again btw, if you didn't gather)

Me:
Jeez, I can see that eyeroll from here...
Keelah:
Hehe, call me when you're finished darling, okay? I need to go. I love you. Be strong Sam.

Me:
Do you have to go? I mean, 90% of bridge duty is sitting on a seat looking pensive.
Keelah:
Yes, for you maybe, but some of us actually do our jobs you know...

Me:
You? Doing your job? Tis a Christmas miracle!
Keelah:
Actually, the real miracle is you completing a mission that doesn't have you in sickbay.

Me:
Touche, Mrs Bishop-Se'Lai. Touche...

Me:
Well, there's still time, the mission isn't over yet.
Keelah:
You end up in sickbay again, and I will double the length of your stay.

Me:
Aren't you fiesty this evening...
Keelah:
Don't get your hopes up kiddo! I've got to go Sam, please call me when you're free.

Me:
I will. I love you Keelah <3
Keelah:
I love you too... Mr Bishop-Se'Lai <3

Me:
... it's Dr Bishop-Se'Lai...

Me:
*sighs*
5 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 95119.5Show
Stardate 95119.5 (13 February 2418)

Sam stroked Lara's hair lightly as she slept. Upon Sam's return, he had instantly transferred her onto the Endeavour to keep a close watch over her as she recovered. Recovery was not going well.

Sam sighed as he looked at the young lady. Her hair had grown long and had a darker sheen to it. Sam's mouth quirked up slightly as he remembered how much of a fuss Lara used to make when her mother wanted her to have her hair longer. The day when she had stormed up to her room and cut her hair herself when her mother stopped her from going to the hairdresser. When Sam had to go in later to tidy up the mess she had made.

"Oh Lara..." he mumbled.

Lara's skin was darker too, her eyes gaunt, her body thinner. Not only that, her once bright blue eyes which were full of happiness and awe had changed into something else; they were no longer bright. Sam didn't know what Lara had been through to get here. He knew that it would shake even the strongest resolve. With a faint sigh, he leaned in to kiss her on her forehead, before standing and making his way to the bathroom.

It seemed that all three of the important figures in his life required his care and attention. Sam looked in the mirror, his face dripping with the water he had splashed over it. He had that feeling that he had failed them, and yet, his other side was battling to tell him that he hadn't, that he did what he could. None of that mattered anyway. What mattered was that he gave all three of them the time they deserved.

"Uncle Sam?" came a distressed call from outside

"I'm here Lara," Sam replied, quickly washing away the remaining lather from his shave. Drying his face, he stepped back out into his room. Lara was huddled up on the bed, tears streaming from her eyes. "Lara, what's wrong?" Sam moved to her side and put his arm around her.

Lara buried her face in his chest and cried. "I... keep thinking this is a dream..."

"It's not a dream Lara," Sam said, cradling her head with his hand, kissing the top of her head. "You're safe now. You're on the Endeavour. And I'm not going anywhere without you,"

"Please... Uncle Sam please... just make this all go away," Lara bawled, shaking through loud sobs. "Every time I close my eyes, I see death. I see all the people who died. I..."

Sam closed his eyes, fighting back his own tears. "Oh Lara..."

"I don't want this anymore. I want to go home. I want things to go back to before. I wish I never joined Starfleet. Please Uncle Sam. Please just make it all go away. I'm begging you," her tears were coming thick and fast, her hands clamped around Sam's tunic, not wanting to let go.

"Lara... my darling..." Sam's words caught in his throat. "I promise to make it all go away. Trust me," he whispered finally. "I won't let anything harm you any more,"

His Lara. His wonderful, magnificent Lara, who wanted nothing more to follow in his footsteps, had followed him too far. Sam had failed in his duties as her guardian, to shelter her from the hardships. And now she was battling demons that Sam himself had trouble facing.

As Lara wept in his arms, Sam's own eyes betrayed his own thoughts, and small tears ran down his face into Lara's hair. Sam had spent his whole life guiding Lara. Now she had gone somewhere that Sam could not guide her. Sam was now nothing more than a bystander. Lara had to solve this one herself.
5 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 95125.0Show
Stardate 95125.0 (15 February 2418)

Sam and Keelah were curled up on the sofa. Keelah's arms were wrapped around Sam's waist, whilst Sam's own arms were around her shoulders, his legs wrapped around hers. Keelah's head lay softly on Sam's chest, as she finished recalling one of the many adventures the Valley Forge had been on whilst Sam was away.

"... so that's when I thought it was best to leave before the Forge was sheared in two,"

Sam chuckled and kissed her hair, breathing in the smell he loved so much, the smell that had told him that their first night was not just a dream, the smell that was his wife. Keelah squirmed next to him, pushing herself closer to his body, and holding him tighter. Sam knew she enjoyed his strong embrace and knew it made her feel safe and secure, even though she was physically and mentally stronger than him; a fact that seemed to always bother Sam more than it should.

In contrast, Sam always felt revitalised at her touch, as if his body was being recharged by her love. There was no better way for him to spend his leave than by her side, and this is what he had planned to do with his week off. After the stress and strain of Operation Agincourt and the Nelaraan crisis, Sam needed this rest and recovery time with his wife. Moreso after the scare she had given him with the events on Forged Earth.

"Sam?"

"Mmmm?" he breathed, nuzzling his nose against her hair.

"I've got a patrol scheduled," Of course, something had to come up. Sam held her tighter, and she reciprocated his touch, looking up at him. "I'm sorry," she said, stroking his face. "You can come with me if you want, we'll be back before your leave ends,"

Sam sighed, kissing her nose gently. "The offer is tempting darling but... I'd just be a distraction - more you'll distract me than I distract you," he added before Keelah had the chance to protest that she would not be distracted. Instead, she buried her face into his neck.

"This always happens with us... doesn't it?" she mumbled

"We knew that it would be like this but..."

"But not to this extent..." she gave a small nod.

"I could always resign,"

Keelah's hand stopped stroking his face and gave him a small slap. "Don't say that,"

Sam chuckled. "I mean, it's not like I do much in command anyway!"

Keelah looked up and kissed him. "You do more than you realise, you know. Don't give up your command Sam. I know how much you love being in command, and if you were to resign, you'd be miserable and restless. And as someone who cares very much about your wellbeing, that isn't what I want for you,"

"How can I be miserable and restless when I'm with my family?"

"Sam, we've got an entire lifetime together," she smiles, stroking his hair back around his ear. "You won't be a Captain forever. Enjoy this moment whilst you have it. And we'll enjoy these moments whilst we have them," she grinned, rolling on top of him.

The next day, Sam gave Keelah a final kiss, before beaming back aboard the Endeavour to spend the rest of his leave doing some research, whilst the Valley Forge departed on another patrol.

4 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 95142.8Show
Stardate 95142.8 (22 February 2418)

Lara quietly walked into Sam's quarters, deep in thought. Sam glanced up from his desk when he heard the sound of the door open.

"Oh Lara," he smiled. "How are you, sweetheart?"

Lara looked up at Sam. "It was him..." she muttered quietly.

Sam frowned, standing and making his way over to Lara. He took her hands into his. "What do you mean?"

"You... were asking... how I was injured..." she said. "I... lied... I... thought... if I said something, he'd hurt me again..."

"Who'd hurt you, Lara? The pirates? The Gorn?" he used his finger to lift up her chin to look at her. "Don't worry sweetheart... none of..."

"No Uncle Sam," she said, pushing his finger away and hugging him tightly. "It was the Crewman..." she said as she began to cry. "He hurt me. He abused me. He said he was trying to save us... he was only looking out for himself,"

Sam slowly wrapped his arms around Lara, stunned. "Are you... okay?" was all he could manage.

"Please help me, Uncle Sam... I'm afraid of what he'll do to me... I can't testify against him..."

Sam stroked the back of Lara's head as he held her. "I promised you that I wouldn't let anyone harm you anymore. Trust me Lara... I will make everything alright,"

Lara squeezed him tighter and cried even harder. Sam closed his eyes, his fists clenching behind Lara's back, before slowly unclenching again. The Crewman could wait. He had a more important duty first.
4 Likes
Part Three: Toy Soldiers
Spoiler: Stardate 96165.8Show
Stardate 96165.8 (2nd March 2419)

It happened again. Two years later, it happened again. He was so close to the action, and yet, it was so far away from him. Two years ago, he had failed. Two years later, he still felt as if he had failed.

The mission was a hollow victory. He didn't like the mission parameters when he got them, but in the week between his orders and the attack, he had convinced himself that it was fine, that the mission was going to be fine, and that they were going to launch a devastating, if not decisive blow against the enemy. This was no doubt to Nimitz's plan, which he held in high regard. But the overarching shadow, that they were warping in with limited intelligence, was omnipresent. And it had been confirmed when the Endeavour and the Pegasus warped into the system. A mission that could have been undertaken by a strikeforce of Romulan ships, or Klingon ships, or hell, Federation ships with cloaking devices, was undertaken by them.

It's not as if Sam wasn't glad that the mission went without a hitch, that they didn't lose anyone until they were hit by the Isolytic devices. But the very fact that he found himself a passive observer hung over Sam, taunting him. Two years ago, he was nothing but a passive observer. Two years later, nothing had changed.

And now, they were once again in limbo, picking up the pieces of their "heroic" and "valiant" effort. All ready to return to normal as if nothing happened. All the while, the Azedi were preparing their revenge. They would not take that attack lying down. They would mobilise and regroup, and attack. And the cost of that attack would be more than seventeen dead souis.

There was a nagging feeling at the back of Sam's mind. A hidden, suppressed thought. That he wanted this war with the Azedi. He wanted to play soldier, to do the thing he was good at. He wanted to be more than a passive observer. He wanted in on the action.

Two years later, he still felt as though he was just a fish in a barrel. A small fish in the middle of a very large, and very dangerous barrel.
3 Likes
Spoiler: Stardate 96643.1Show
Stardate 96643.1 (23rd August 2419)
Sam pulled ahead of Brie, giving a short burst of speed to give him momentum as the pair reached a hill. They were completing a gruelling Olympic style triathlon, and at the 4 mile mark of the run, they were both very much feeling the effects of the brutality they were putting their bodies through. With almost no training, it had been expected that one of the two would have called it off during the cycling leg, but a combination of grit, determination to beat the other, and sheer stupidity, kept them going. They had been rather chatty at the start, but that quickly subsided as the pair just tried to keep breathing. Sam hoped that if he was able to just stay in front of Brie for the next mile, he might frustrate her enough for her to expend her energy and for him to take the crown.

The pair continued up the steep, winding slopes, jogging past the evening walkers and sightseers. The pair looked very out of place compared to these tourists. Sweat soaked and mud streaked compared to clean and pristine.

The incline suddenly levelled out as the pair reached the summit, and Sam could see the descending path down the hill. He could also hear Brie's breath behind him, hot on his heels. Suddenly, he saw movement from the corner of his eye; Brie had moved to his right and was attempting an overtake. If Brie got the lead now, he'd find it hard to keep in front going down the hill, and with her younger and fitter physique, he wasn't sure if he could muster enough strength for his own overtake.

"Out of the way, old man," Sam heard Brie exhale from just behind his right ear. Perhaps the fatigue had riled him up more than he realised, and he found himself swerving right to block off Brie's route and force her to drop back and overtake from the left, causing her to lose the momentum she had gained. Brie seemed unerring in her path and continued to try to go right.

"Back off Valencia," Sam exhaled back. There came no response, and Brie dropped out of Sam's peripheral. He had done it. Or had he? Instinct told him to look back. Brie wasn't there anymore. He scrambled and looked to the left, wondering if Brie had somehow gained the agility and energy to try to go left, but she wasn't there either. Sam forced his body to stop.

"Gabriella?" he called. There was no response. Concerned and breathing very heavily, Sam backtracked along the route, ready at any moment to resume his run, just in case this was a ruse to make him stop. That's when he saw footmarks on the side of the hill; a giant brown streak bordered by green grass, leading down the hill. The hill had a light forest growing around it, and Sam peered over the hill down the leafy detritus covered slope, to see more slip marks. She had fallen. Foliage blocked his view at the bottom.

"For the love of God," he cursed and then took the plunge, making a controlled descent down the side to try to find her. His hand went to his pocket and his fingers curled around his combadge, ready to call if Brie had been injured in the fall. Then, as Sam reached the foliage, he found himself spiralling in the air, as his foot got caught on a root, and the next thing he knew, he was face down in dirt, the wind knocked clean out of him.

"How'd... you... fall?" came Brie's voice to his left.

"I... was looking for... you, idiot," Sam replied and turned his head left. Brie was in an almost similar position to him.

"The... race..." she began, as she tried to get up.

"... is still on," Sam replied and the pair attempted to best the other in getting up so that they could continue the race. Brie, having had more time to grab her breath, was the first one up and ready to run, but then she froze.

"Erm... Captain..." she muttered.

Sam looked up. Around them were a group of four people, two Ferengi, one Trill, and a Bajoran. The Trill and one of the Ferengi were pointing phasers at them. The other Ferengi was carrying what looked like two blocks of white powder, whilst the Bajoran was carrying a sealed crate.

"Captain?" the Ferengi carrying the blocks garbled. "Did the hewmon say Captain?"

"It's the narcs!" the Bajoran squealed. "They're on to us! Shoot them!"

Brie and Sam moved in sync. Brie launched a dropkick against the Ferengi with the phaser, and he went flying backwards, a phaser blast firing into the air. Sam charged at the Trill and went in with his shoulder, ramming it into the Trill's chest. He shot backwards, and found himself pinned against a tree, coughing blood. The phaser was dropped. Sam went to reach it, and then found his vision obscured by thick white powder, as a powder block exploded against his head. Sam wheezed and puffed, aware of Brie attempting to smack the ears of the Ferengi who had thrown the block. The Ferengi was quicker, and lifted the second powder block up, smashing it across Brie's face. It exploded upon impact. Brie wheeled away, screaming in pain as the powder got into her eyes, nose, and mouth, coughing violently.

"Valencia!" Sam grunted and tried to take some steps towards her, but he felt a sharp pain in his back, followed by another. Sam's brain chimed through the pain to inform him that, as he had been shot with a phaser on stun a number of times, this felt like another one of those times. And with that reassuring thought in mind, Sam lost consciousness.
Stardate 96786.1

(14th October 2419)

“Xedi blood is on my hands, Tasha,” Sam said, looking at his blurred hands through the glass he had in his hand. “After all that work. All those attempts to save Xedi lives… it was all for nothing, in the end,”

“That is not true, Sam, you know that,”

“It’s true, Tasha. What is the point of saving one life, when your actions lead to the deaths of millions? Those lives that were saved… for what? So they could see their planet burn? So they could see streets run thick with Xedi blood? So that they could be hunted down and massacred by their own people? How can you say that is better than death?”

“Are you saying that you get to decide whether a life is worth saving based upon what might happen in the future?”

“No, I’m saying that it would have been better to die at the hands of someone you thought was the enemy, than at the hands of someone you thought was your friend,” a pause. “Can you imagine it, Tasha? Just imagine, for a moment. That one day, those people who swore to protect you, turned around and labelled you an enemy. Just think. You’re working here, as normal, and Gabriella marches in with her MACO Team, brands you an enemy of the state and arrests you. Just because you are Starfleet and nothing more. Because that’s what the Xedi are facing. That’s what we caused, Tasha. That’s what I caused,” Sam stands, walking towards the window.

Tasha said nothing, sipping her drink.

“All this time… all this time… I thought that what I was doing would save lives. And now I wonder if we had taken decisive military action sooner, could we have saved lives?”

“It was you who told me, Sam, that the ends do not justify the means,”

Sam chuckles mirthlessly. “That is a hard stance to take when the means lead to more death,”

“I can’t tell you if what your actions… our actions, were correct. We don’t have the liberty of travelling to different timelines to see if other actions would have been better. You know better than any that this is what command is about. You took charge of the situation and attempted to solve it for the better. You should not fault yourself for attempting and failing to understand the situation before making a decision. That’s command basics,”

“At some point, you need to take decisive action, Tasha. That’s what I didn’t do. I didn’t take decisive action. I didn’t take decisive action on Federation relations, I didn’t take decisive action on intel, I didn’t take decisive action on the Dominion. That’s what I didn’t do. We were always on the backfoot for this. I wanted to switch it around, I wanted us to be on the forefront and not just react. But the opportunity never came,”

“That’s just it, you’re faulting yourself for an opportunity that didn’t come,”

“No Tasha, that’s not it. You shouldn’t wait for an opportunity to arise. You should fashion one and take the initiative. That’s what we should have done,”

“And the lives lost?”

“Would have at least had meaning,”

There was a silence.

“It’s up to us, as those still alive, to give their deaths meaning, Tasha. I can’t change the past now. What’s done is done. But I can strive to at least make sure that those Xedi aren’t dying in vain,”

“And how will you do that?”

“Making sure that we learn from our mistakes here,”

“The audit, yes,”

“And to make sure that we make things right,”

“How are you going to do that?”

“I don’t know yet, Tasha,”

“You’ll figure it out, Sam. Just make sure you are making a clear decision. Do not let the lives of the Xedi weigh down on your conscious. You were not the one who pulled the trigger. Remember that,”

Sam sighed. “Has Gabriella come in to see you yet?”

“She has,”

“And how is she dealing with this?”

“It’s a different situation to yours. She understands that death is part of her job. She tries to focus on the survival of the team,”

“She does a very good of that,”

“It’s when she starts to blame herself for the loss of a team member is when we get troubles,”

“How’s everyone else? Morale wise?”

“We’re okay. They’re okay. I think things are just a bit nervy with the situation unfolding, but we’ll pull through. The ship always has,”

Sam nods. “It has,”

6 Likes