Captain's Log, Vorir Somek, U.S.S. Republic

Captain's Log, Stardate 92610.4 (Dossier)

The U.S.S. Republic is currently en route to Deep Space 13 for rest and resupply following another routine patrol of the systems surrounding the station. Most system patrols have proven uneventful. We met our fair share of foulmouthed freighter captains, but disrespect is not a crime, and very few raiders were detected. Only one interaction of real consequence has occurred: we encountered a pair of Orion ships while in the outer reaches of the Zibal system who attempted to attack and then bribe us. They did not, however, pose a tactical threat to the Republic, and when an arrest attempt was made the ships fled into Klingon space and I made the decision not to pursue. Sensor logs captured visual and power signature records of the ship, which have been transmitted to command for future reference.

During another patrol in the Azha system, long-range sensors picked up anomalous readings on a freighter, but these were not confirmed and a system diagnostic revealed no indication of subsequent readings. My engineering head Lt. Cmd. Virok Sysaal recommended a more complete diagnostic once we have arrived at DS13.

In the meantime, plans for our next leg of patrols are underway, and will most likely take us up through the Kassae and Xarantine sectors.

End log.
2 Likes
Captain's Log, Stardate 92627.4

I've had to delay our departure from Deep Space 13 for a few days while Lt. Cmd Sysaal and station engineers completed diagnostics of our sensors. Final results showed no deficiencies, so we are forced to conclude it was a simple mistake.

Further delay was caused the discovery of traces of trellium-D on-board the Republic. The source was identified as a small decorative object brought aboard by a crew member who had just returned from shore leave to Risa. Decontamination was carried out quickly and efficiently, and while several Vulcan crew members, including Sysaal and I, showed some minor signs of poisoning, our chief medical officer Lt. Cmd. Kate Lobley cleared us for duty. The origins of the contaminated object will be investigated as far as is practical without further delaying our mission.

Patrol routes for the Kassae and Xarantine sectors have been confirmed, and we will be departing at approximately 0830 tomorrow morning.

End log.
1 Like
Captain's Log, Stardate 92639.4

Patrols are proceeding smoothly, and we have entered the Kassae sector. We are traveling at low warp, often dropping to impulse power, in order to more closely monitor long-range sensors. So far nothing out of the ordinary has occurred, and we will be nearing the Cernan system within the next couple of hours. There we will monitor traffic in and out of the system for a short period before continuing towards the Servin system.

Captain's Log, Supplemental

We arrived in the Cernan system and began our monitoring procedures as planned. At first we observed only some commercial traffic and a few shuttlecraft, but at approximately 1130, we received a distress call from the vicinity of Cernan II. Upon investigation we discovered a freighter in a deteriorating orbit around the planet. I ordered the Republic placed below the craft and used our tractor repulsor beam to push it into a higher, more stable orbit, at which point we transported an engineering team aboard to make repairs to their navigation and thruster systems. After this incident, we continued monitoring system traffic for another two hours before leaving the system at low warp for the Servin system.

Captain's Log, Supplemental

We have arrived in the Servin system and remain in standard orbit around Servin II. Monitoring procedures have begun, and they will be handed off to the night watch shortly.

End log.
2 Likes
Captain's Log, Stardate 92650.7

Our patrol mission is proceeding mostly as planned. We have traveled through the Xarantine, Kern, and Danteri systems in the same fashion as before: at low warp and utilizing maximum long-range sensors. All readings were clear of any anomalous activity except in the Danteri system, in which a faint Vaadwaur lifesign was detected on a freighter before disappearing at the next reading of the same ship. This was the same series of events that occurred on stardate 92610.4, which indicates that we can firmly rule out problems in our sensor arrays and side effects of trellium-D poisoning. We managed to capture the ships energy signature for future reference, and I plan on configuring our sensor arrays to search for it specifically, but I decided not to stray from our mission route to pursue, as it has so far failed to pose any threat to us or anyone else.

We also rendezvoused with the U.S.S. Snelling in the Danteri system, where our Heirarchy exchange science officer, Lt. Devro Noquar, was replaced by our new science officer, Lt. Rehezota Tliz of Betazed. Lt. Noquar has finished his tour with the Federation and will be returning to the Delta Quadrant on board the Snelling. We also had an unexpected personnel change when my chief tactical officer, Cmdr. Jody Stolcals, requested an immediate and indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons. He also boarded the Snelling and will be dropped off along the way. In the meantime, my first officer Cmdr. Siciel Pucial will be taking over tactical duties as well. At some future time I may fill the tactical spot with another dedicated officer, but on a ship as small as the Republic there are advantages to having fewer officers on the bridge.

Following these events, we have begun our return journey to DS13. We should arrive in, at most, five days, but I may decide to hasten our arrival at a later time.

End log.
1 Like
Captain's Log, Stardate 92758

I have left this log uncomfortably silent for some time, but I believe I can now safely begin submitting entries. I hope my reasoning for such a breach of protocol will stand given the information I have received.

In short, I recently received word that the U.S.S. Republic was due at Utopia Planitia for some planned upgrades. I was planning on remaining on DS13 anyway to await an opportunity to discuss my upcoming mind-meld with Captain Buchanan and the medical staff, and if possible to carry out the mind-meld itself, but I decided to use the opportunity to play a little game. I have mentioned previously the Vaadwaur lifesign that we had encountered that had a habit of appearing just at the edge of sensor range before disappearing. I wanted to test the hypothesis that there was a pattern to the appearances, that it was appearing to us purposefully, and that it was tracking me specifically by using the location of the Republic.

To make this a proper experiment, I told no one of my plans, including my senior officers, and controlled for confounding sources of surveillance by eliminating all electronic communications, including my logs here. Further, my mental focus and minor telepathy generally do not permit unauthorized entry to my thoughts, but I redoubled my efforts to actively prevent such intrusions.

First, I ensured that according to all written flight plans and docking instructions, I was to be aboard the Republic on its trip to the Sol system, but left it implied that I would be staying in my quarters the entire trip. I even placed my combadge in my quarters, modified to automatically transmit directly to me any information regarding the lifesign should it be announced verbally or entered in sensor logs. Second, I spread spoken rumors aboard DS13 that I was in fact on an unannounced and unauthorized vacation to Risa, a claim made feasible by the departure of at least three vessels to Risa during the window of a week. Third, I simply physically remained in my temporary quarters on DS13, but touched no equipment and used no provisions. I used a deep meditation both to clear my mind and avoid telepathic detection, and to lower my body's physical and metabolic processes in an effort to minimize my detectable lifesign should anyone attempt to locate it.

This game went on for some time, but eventually it paid off. The U.S.S. Republic reported detecting the Vaadwaur sign again, and at a regular interval of 12 days. This confirms the hypothesis that this person is tracking my purposefully, as the regular intervals would discount the theory that our detection was due to sloppy concealment. It also confirms that this person is tracking me by the simple location of the Republic, which rules out the more unsettling possibility that someone in the fleet who could more closely monitor my physical location was communicating my location.

Because of this, my initial questions have been answered, but my next question is of why this person is following me. I know I made enemies during the conflict at Kobali Prime, so it is possible that one of them has tracked me down and is plotting revenge of some sort. The long period during which they have been detected would be consistent with someone "casing" me, in effect. However, the regular and seemingly purposeful reveal of the lifesign would indicate a casing job of exceedingly poor quality for a Vaadwaur. Additionally, the Republic reported that nearby vessels, even some closer to the lifesign and those with longer sensor ranges, did not collect any similar lifesign in their sensor logs, which would indicated a directed transmission. For the time being, I have not ruled out the possibility that the lifesign is counterfeit and merely projects that of a Vaadwaur.

This experiment complete, I am now free to move about the station and have informed the Republic's crew of my actual whereabouts and what I have discovered. The Republic's first round of upgrades, which include the addition of weapon and control systems, as well as a replacement of the major propulsion systems and shields, has been completed, and it is en route back to DS13. Once they return, I will discuss next steps for tracking this Vaadwaur lifesign. During my brief conversation with Cmdr Pucial, we will begin analyzing the logs of the readings we have received so far to try to determine more specifics about the lifesign. In the meantime, I am still planning the details of my mind-meld with Cmdr Se'lai, which I hope to complete with enough time for any necessary recovery before my next assignment.

End log.
3 Likes
Captain's Log, Stardate 92849.5

Following Captain e-Buchanan tr'Veras' stepping down from his post and his subsequent replacement by Captain Konieczko, Taurus has received new standing orders that have changed my patrol route. The Republic has been completing its regular patrol missions on its own, under the acting command of Commander Pucial, while I've remained on DS13 to attend to preparations for my mind-meld. However, I am in no rush to complete that procedure, and so far I have been hesitant to interrupt the duties of the other stakeholders to gather them all at once. Therefore I will be back on the Republic at least for the first patrol, and only in my downtime aboard ship will I work on scheduling a formal time for the mind-meld.

As for the patrol itself, our first stop will be the Ba'aja system, though we should pass within sensor range of a few others on the way. As before, we will take this patrol somewhat slowly because it is a new route, because it allows for better analysis of data, and because, while we have established the pattern of the appearance of our Vaadwaur lifesign, my science officer Lieutenant Tliz has recommended a method of isolating the lifesign and creating an individual identification. The hope is that we can determine whether it is being synthetically generated, which would indicate the presence of intent, and who it is, which would suggest the nature of the intent. As the lifesign only appears every 12 days, I intend the full patrol to last 2 weeks, which should guarantee one appearance with some leftover time for analysis.

End log.
4 Likes
Captain's Log, Stardate 92894.1

Our first patrol on the new route has been completed successfully and, insofar as the patrol itself was concerned, uneventfully. However, our Vaadwaur lifesign showed up right on schedule, and what we discovered using our updated analysis techniques was both interesting and disturbing. The lifesign matched one Gilro, a Vaadwaur captain of relatively minor note relative to the Kobali conflict itself, except that he was somewhat of a personal rival of the U.S.S. Granite. We found ourselves fighting him several times, and it was he who I defeated during the Granite's final battle. I believed, and official record states, that Gilro died when his ship was destroyed.

My first thought after the identification was that Gilro had somehow survived and has been tracking me with a goal of seeking revenge. He had a flair for the dramatic, so it seemed to fit his style. But shortly afterward it was determined that the lifesign was, in fact, synthetic. This raises more questions and more possibilities. Assuming the most likely scenario in which Gilro was in fact killed, it is conceivable that someone familiar with our struggle is using that specific lifesign as some method of communication, or at the very least of getting my attention; the likelihood that Gilro's lifesign was chosen randomly is vanishingly small, suggesting that whoever is broadcasting it intended for me to discover its identity, and by extension to come seeking answers or confirmation. It is technically possible that Gilro was not killed, but that does not significantly alter the conclusion except that he may be behind whatever is going on but not directly involved, e.g. present in the Beta quadrant, and that the end-game may be different.

But with no further information, I cannot reasonably speculate on what the goal here is. I suspect that, given the long period over which, and the regularity with which, we have received the lifesign, they are essentially awaiting our move, and I admit I see no other way of gaining more information unless I make that move. So far we have been simply monitoring the lifesign as it briefly appears on sensors. The plan, therefore, will be to find a way of tracking the lifesign, or at least the location from which it is being sent, long enough to actually move to intercept it. There is a chance that this is a simple trap, designed to spring as soon as I do intercept. However, as the source seems to move with the Republic so as to remain just on the edge of long range sensors, I believe we may be able to manipulate that to ensure that the source is within friendly space at the time we intend to intercept. I will discuss with my senior staff and formulate a more concrete plan to report.

End log.
3 Likes
Captain's Log, Stardate 94079.1

The U.S.S. Republic and several other ships were recruited for combat duty against the Tzenkethi, in the Eta Serpentis system. I joined a squadron of three other ships led by Captain Thiessen, and our task was to defend a KDF starbase in the area from the Tzenkethi, who were armed with protomatter weapons similar to those previously tested on planets. I'll leave the details of the battle to Captain Thiessen to include in his AAR, but here is a summary of the battle's outcome insofar as the Republic is involved:

• Thirteen Tzenkethi vessels personally destroyed: 4 cruisers, 7 frigates, and 2 battleships. Various support drones not included.
  • Retrieved one protomatter bomb, but it was lost when damage forced the Republic to eject it prematurely.
  • Severe damage to shield systems. Most shield relays burnt out, and emitters heavily damaged. The Tzenkethi have some hard-hitting weaponry, will have LT CMDR Syssal and LT Tliz look into ways of mitigating this in possible future confrontations.
  • Moderate damage to impulse engines.
  • Seven injured. Mostly plasma burns and blunt force trauma. Suspect that brief failure if inertial dampers after damage sustained by power systems to be mostly at fault. Dr. Lobley assures me they will all make full recoveries.
  • Three killed. Two in main engineering due to plasma arcs caused by energy surges, and one in the main deflector maintenance compartment while attempting to manually re-calibrate it. Preparations are underway for notification of next of kin and transfer of remains.

Overall, operation was a success. However, there are several opportunities for improvement in both engineering controls and training. The Tzenkethi are a new adversary for the Republic and its crew, so aside from ship repair and replenishing our crew complement, training based on our experiences in this battle will be a priority.

End log.
4 Likes
Captain's Log, Stardate 94088.9

Repairs on the Republic are complete and our crew complement has been replenished. Crew morale has been low but with plans for training simulations underway, and with the prospect of things to do and goals to accomplish, I believe it is recovering as expected.

While the Republic was in the shipyard, I had the shuttle bays modified to be able to carry, rapidly deploy, and rapidly recover fighters in a combat situation. Three Peregrine attack craft were acquired leaving us with one Type-18 shuttle and two work bees, and pilots were also added to the crew complement. They are currently being housed in temporary quarters until we can find a permanent home for them, ideally in close proximity to the shuttle bays.

With those priorities now satisfied, we can now turn at least some of our attention back towards the Gilro puzzle. Recent events have forced us to set our analysis aside, but in all the time since last discussed in my logs, Gilro's lifesign has still appeared every 12 days, like clockwork. It did not occur to us until recently that this number may have some significance. LT Tliz has begun an analysis of the astronomical significance of this number; perhaps it represents the frequency of a certain type of radiation. Or perhaps it represents a number of people, or of planets or moons. For the moment we can only speculate, but if this is a message rather than an attempt to meet, it is prudent to look into interpreting the message in addition to determining how to meet the messenger. But in the meantime, CMDR Pucial and LT CDR Sysaal are looking into methods of interception. Based on analysis of the locations of the lifesign over time relative to the ship, the current best option is as follows: maneuver until we can be reasonably certain that the lifesign will appear in the location from which we last jumped to warp, but rather than actually jumping to warp, we will fake a warp signature and maintain position. The trick is both using enough power to generate the warp signature and project it in the chosen direction, while simultaneously becoming undetectable. A cloaking device would be ideal, but I'm certain that command would never approve, and I won't take advantage of the services of the Romulan detachment for what is realistically somewhat more of a personal mission than one of any significance to Federation interests, especially with our focus on more pressing matters like the Tzenkethi. Therefore we will keep looking into alternatives.

End log.
1 Like