Halcyon Countermeasure

BH1Pd8X.png
ATTN 38th\Command; RADM Ashkeph
AUTH CMDR Sivath
SUBJ Halcyon Countermeasure: Submission for Final Approval
DATE 92754.8
4OB3P0J.png

Engineering dept. certifies that infectious agent designated "Halcyon Countermeasure" has cleared platform testing and is ready for final review and approval prior to wide deployment.

Summary of behavior:

• Factory daemon (see attached source repo: eng_halc_factory.src) to be installed as widely as possible on all Starfleet vessels and installations, but particularly on comm relays in and around Doza sector
  • Factory permanently immunizes a system against infection by Halcyon worm by detecting and deleting upon delivery; factory is permanently resident and never removed
  • Factory also embeds benign counter-worm in all outgoing communications, behaving identically to Halcyon worm
  • Benign counter-worm (see attached source repo: eng_halc_cworm.src) is dormant on any non-infected system, but replicates itself via hails similarly to factory and original Halcyon worm
  • On a system infected by Halcyon worm, counter-worm begins exchanging messages with Halcyon worm, using protocols built into Halcyon worm to check the integrity of its install points
  • Once communication pattern is established, counter-worm begins making status calls to restricted systems; this triggers system security's threat detection, which flags counter-worm and all associated Halcyon worm files for quarantine
  • Although counter-worm is destroyed along with Halcyon worm in disinfection process, the now-clean system may be re-infected with the counter-worm and carry it onward

Reverse-engineered source code of original Halcyon worm included for reference.

//SIGNED//
Commander Sivath
Engineering Dept., Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT// eng_halc_cworm.cph
//ATTACHMENT// eng_halc_cworm.src
//ATTACHMENT// eng_halc_factory.ssp
//ATTACHMENT// eng_halc_factory.src
//ATTACHMENT// eng_halc_oworm.src
9 Likes
AKas0II.png
Stardate 92756

zpglS1t.png
TO CMDR Sivath; FCAPT Perim
CC <38th/Command>; <38th/Engineering>; <38th/Operations>

SUBJ Re: Halcyon Countermeasure: Submission for Final Approval

Beautiful work, Commander. I am still waiting on the results of Commander Thue's investigation on potential public relations fallout, but in the meantime, you can prepare for the announcement and patch release.

The factory daemon should be included in a high priority patch and circulated to all Federation assets within sixty lightyears of DS13, as well as all vessels that have passed within sixty lightyears of the station in the past month. Priority drops to mid-level for assets beyond that distance, but should still be included with the next series of operational updates.

I will also want our attention on setting up a comms perimeter around every Kilur ruins system. These buoys should be set up for long term orbital deployment and should include communicated warnings to vessels that trigger via proximity about the dangers in salvaging and utilizing Kilur technology. Ideally, should the PR report come back with promising results, these buoys will be hosting the factory daemon as well. We will not wait long on it, either way.

Neema, please scramble a few vessels together in preparation for this mission.

//SIGNED//
RADM Ashkeph
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO RADM Ashkeph
FROM CMDR Sivath
SUBJ Re: Halcyon Countermeasure: Submission for Final Approval
4OB3P0J.png

Every day we delay while fretting about public relations damage is another chance for a ship bearing the Halcyon worm to wander into Kilur space.

//SIGNED//
Commander Sivath
5 Likes
TO CMDR Sivath
SUBJ Re: Re: Halcyon Countermeasure: Submission for Final Approval

I thank you kindly for the reminder, Commander. I have not forgotten the urgency of the situation.

An invasion is an invasion, no matter how benign the intent. If we had a solution that did not entail trespassing on foreign systems, there would be no question. As we do not, I am currently unwilling to make a bad situation worse by taking actions that may diminish Starfleet's reputation for openness and principled execution.

Things would be markedly different if LCDR Zaldo's investigation discovers a functional scavenger society or if Thue's findings turn up nothing. Even a lack of perceivable reaction in the coming days may provide us with enough security to go ahead. I had heard that you were quite willing to take serious measures to protect Starfleet's reputation amongst this scattered group; I should think you would have more concern for the same when it comes to major allied nations.

//SIGNED//
RADM Ashkeph
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO RADM Ashkeph
FROM CMDR Sivath
4OB3P0J.png

I value Starfleet's reputation, admiral, but not at the cost of lives. If Starfleet values the former over the latter, its reputation is undeserved.

The Halcyon worm has already trespassed into foreign systems; the invasion is in progress. The only thing that will change upon the release of the countermeasure is that we will lose the cover of secrecy. Thue's report will tell us the impact of the action we have already decided to take. Will we be swayed from the necessary course by knowledge of the precise shape of the public relations catastrophe that is sure to follow? If not, there is no logical reason to delay.

//SIGNED//
Commander Sivath
5 Likes
TO CMDR Sivath

The original Halcyon worm was an action taken by other officers in another time. No reasonable person could hold us accountable for the consequences that we have now unearthed. What we ARE accountable for are the actions we take now going forward.

Can you guarantee that your countermeasure will not be the harbinger of catastrophe, as the Halcyon crew evidently failed to? Should there be further inexplicable accidents, what will the Republic think when they investigate their systems and discover traces of Starfleet's interference, even if they are not factually connected? We could prevent countless future misunderstandings if we take the appropriate actions early enough.

Lives will always be at stake, Commander. We must be vigilant when we step into the arena to save them, or we may risk losing far more than we thought we might.

//SIGNED//
RADM Ashkeph
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO RADM Ashkeph
FROM CMDR Sivath
4OB3P0J.png
RADM Ashkeph wrote:
No reasonable person could hold us accountable for the consequences that we have now unearthed.

I do, and so should you. The Halcyon was not acting as a rogue combatant when it developed and deployed the worm; it was acting under orders. Its crime is Starfleet's crime. We are responsible for the legacy of that decision and mark my words: we will be held as such by the galaxy at large.

But if neither responsibility to the dead nor concern for the living will move you, consider this: if more people die because Starfleet sat on its hands awaiting the results of an opinion poll, the galaxy will also judge us for that. There are public relations consequences in every direction.

//SIGNED//
Commander Sivath
8 Likes
TO CMDR Sivath
SUBJ Re: Re: Re: Halcyon Countermeasure: Submission for Final Approval

Taking responsibility for inherited circumstances and acceding to the censure from them are two different things, Commander. Do try to reign in the dramatics. They would be better served to underscore your panic in a real emergency situation.

Nevertheless, thanks to the timely arrival of Thue's report, we will be moving forward presently with the release patch. I do hope sincerely that not too many scavenger vessels have imploded in our significantly heinous delay of fourteen hours.

Please pass on your final instructions to your subordinates immediately, as you will not be available to supervise the release patch yourself. Stand by for new orders.

//SIGNED//
RADM Ashkeph
6 Likes