Voyages of the USS Endeavour

"MACO - Many Absolutely Crazy Officers"

Spoiler: Part 4Show
"All hands brace for impact!" Tasha's voice rung loud and clear over the comms. Brie did as she was bid, diving to the floor. The entire room shook as the attack hit. Brie was up instantly, pushing off the ground and sprinting to the door. She had to get to her post. Only... The door had fused shut. She tried in vain to prise it open, but she couldn't. Turning, she saw the Azedi dreadnought line up another shot. It was pointing straight at her room. Brie didn't think. She moved. The shot fired. Brie lept into her MACO armour, slamming the suit shut around her. The beam smashed through the hull. Brie squeezed into her helmet and felt the suit pressurise. Then... she felt nothing. Weightlessness. There was a sharp hiss and Brie saw herself being thrown out of the damaged room, watching as the Endeavour span away. The ship looked so small from space.

A hiss brought her back to her senses.

"Leak detected,"

"Crap," Brie flailed around in her suit looking for the hole. It was in her leg, propelling her further and further away from her ship. She tried to locate her communications badge but realised with horror that she left it on her table. As the oxygen level dropped, Brie began to panic more and more. This is not how she died. Floating in space with a broken suit. This was not the stuff of legends.

She was saved from that death when she dematerialised.

Brie next found herself on a transporter pad. She pushed the helmet off and exhaled. She was alive. She slowly got to her feet. Which shuttle had rescued her?"

"Well, well, well. What do we 'ave 'ere?"

Brie spun around to stare a Klingon disruptor pistol. Henry Hawkins beamed.

"Well ain't ya a pretty one? And a MACO to boot. You are going to fetch me a lot of money..."

Brie's survival techniques kicked in. "Am I balls," she replied and knocked the pistol up into the air, and roundhouse kicking the man's face. As soon as her boot collided with his face, she bolted through the nearest door she could find. Right into the arms of a very large Klingon. "Let. Me. Go!" she scrambled. The Klingon squeezed harder and Brie felt the air rush out of her. When he dropped her, all she could do was grab her stomach and try to breathe through the pain.

"Umuk catch human lady,"

Henry reappeared through the door, rubbing his jaw. "Yeah yeah, you did your job you pillock. Take her to the brig,"

Umuk saluted and hauled Brie onto his shoulder. "Let. Me. Go!" Brie tried again hammering her fists against the large Klingon.

"Save your energy. You ain't going nowhere," Henry waved to her.

Brie stopped struggling for a second, to look at the man coldly, before she disappeared from sight.

Henry laughed. "Well, I guess this was a great time to come visit me old friends?"

The ship shook as it got hit by a stray beam from the raging battle outside.

"What in 'igh 'eaven do ya think you're doin'?" he yelled into his combadge. "If my ship gets one scratch..."

"Sorry Captain," came the reply.

"Get us out of 'ere. We've got enough,"

"Aye Captain,"

The Skyraider dropped its cloak and warped out instantaneously.
6 Likes
"Who counsels the counsellor?"

Spoiler: Part 5Show

(24 November 2417)

"Bishop to Larson"

"Larson here. What is it Sam?"

"Can you meet me in my ready room? I'll be up in a sec,"

"Do you want me to come down to medical?"

"No... I'll come up. Bishop out,"

Tasha looked around the ready room. "Dedoz, bridge?"

Kannys nodded. "Yes, Commander,"

They passed each other in a semi-awkward silence as she made her way to the ready room, perching on the side of the sofa and waiting for Sam. She had some idea of what Sam wanted to speak to her about. She had been thinking of her answer for a while now, but she still hadn't formulated a satisfactory one. She wrangled her hands together. How would she do this?

Sam entered the ready room. He looked weary, not at all as well rested as a man who was meant to be in sickbay should look. He smiled when he saw Tasha. "How are you?"

"Fine," she replied.

"How is command treating you?"

"As it normally does,"

"That's good... drink?" Sam made his way to the desk.

"No thanks. Sam you look tired. What's wrong?"

Sam poured himself a glass of whisky, taking it to the sofa. "It's stress,"

"Stress for what? You're meant to be resting,"

"That's the thing. Not doing anything stresses me out. Knowing that the ship doesn't have a proper Commanding Officer stresses me out,"

Tasha looked at him. "Sam, you know I'm in charge..."

"But you're not. Tasha. You're not. You're acting CO. I need someone who can bear the responsibilities of command if I'm not there. You and I both know this is not the only time I'll be out. You know what I'm like. That's why... Tasha, please. Take the promotion to First Officer,"

Tasha closed her eyes. She knew this was coming. "I can't Sam. I can't..."

"Why not? Tasha if you're worried about how you'll command, I can tell you, you've been doing great,"

"It's not that Sam. I... just am not confident in command,"

"Why?"

"I don't bloody know why!" Tasha yelled suddenly. "Okay? I don't know. I haven't got your tactical eye. I haven't got your presence. I don't love this ship as you do. I don't like people looking up to me, as you do,"

"Tasha, these things take time..."

"No. Sam. No. I've been your acting first officer for a few months. I know the job. I can't do it,"

Sam leant back. "You... don't blame yourself, do you?"

Tasha looked at him. "No Sam... I don't. I did what I could. But that's all I can do. Being in command... it scares me. I struggle to breathe. The walls feel like they're closing in on me. I don't like the feeling. But you do. Sam, I've stared at you on the bridge long enough to know that you revel in it,"

Sam took a sip of his drink before setting it down. "I can't lead alone Tasha. I don't have anyone left that I trust. Only you. Jaidan's gone. He was my next pick. It's just you. And I believe in you so much Tash," Sam shifted next to her.

"I know you do Sam... I just... it's not something I can do..." she rested her head on his shoulder. She felt his warmth, his presence. It was enough to calm her down. "I'll find you a First Officer Sam, I promise. It's just not me..."

Sam lifted her head off his shoulder and looked at her. "Tasha. There has not been a single officer that I've interviewed that I've just clicked with. But I did it with you. Even when we hated each other, we were such a good partnership. And now... now we're the only ones from the old breed left. I need you by my side. I need you on that right-hand chair,"

Tasha smiled slightly. "Sam. My place is not at your right. It's on your left, in the position afforded to me as Head Counsellor. We make a good team. But I... don't think we'll be better if I'm your XO,"

"Tash, what are we going to do then?"

"We?"

Sam scoffed lightly. "I'm in charge of this ship. And when I'm here, you're in charge of me. Isn't that how this works?"

Tasha smiled. "That is how it works. Sam. I will find you a First Officer. Trust me,"

"I do Tasha. You know I do. Apart from my wife, you are the only other person left alive who knows me well,"

Tasha let go of Sam's hand. "Sam... can I tell you something?"

Sam looked at her with those startling green eyes. Those damned eyes. "Yes, what's wrong?"

Tasha sighed. "I..." she stopped to take a breath. "I did love you Sam. All those years ago, at the academy. Despite loving Jenny, I... had feelings for you too..."

"I guessed that much Tasha..." he smiled.

"But I also fell back in love with you when I first joined. I felt like. Maybe we could have had a chance together,"

"Tasha..."

"No but... listen," she was on a roll and was too scared to stop, too scared to think what Sam's reaction would be. "When I found out that you were engaged, it felt like I was losing Jenny again. Only... only that I never had you to begin with. Do you know how much that hurts Sam? To watch someone you love, be with someone else, not even knowing what your feelings for that person is?"

Sam swallowed. "I... don't,"

"What's worse, is that she's so perfect for you Sam. So. Damn. Perfect. There's not a chance that I could ever compete with her. And so I stopped trying. I... I loved you enough to let you be happy. And," she looked up at Sam, her eyes dripping with tears. "And you are happy. So happy. It's so great,"

"So... Tasha... why are you telling me this? Why... why now?" Sam said, stunned.

"Because I want you to know. As... a counsellor, I don't have anyone to confide in but my friends. And you are my friend Sam. My best friend. And it's bugged me for a long time. This is the first time since your marriage I've had a chance to speak to you, without anything else in the way,"

"Does... this have anything to do with refusing to be in Command?" smiled for the first time since her confession.

Tasha reciprocated his smile, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Not... really... I promise. That's purely because I know I can do better as Second Officer,"

Sam paused for a second and pulled her into a tight hug. Tasha buried her face into his chest. "Listen, Tasha. Of course, I'm your friend. Your best friend. And you know that you're the only friend I have left. We'll look after each other,"

"I hate getting friend zoned," Tasha mumbled. "But I'm glad I told you,"

"So am I Tasha. You're someone whom I admire greatly. Someone who I trust with my life. When you're with me, I feel safe knowing that you'll get me home to my wife safely. You're... family to me Tasha,"

Tasha pulled out of the hug and looked at him. "You're family to me, Sam. It means a lot,"

Sam smiled and reached up to wipe the tears from her face. "You won't reconsider?"

"I will find you a First Officer. I promise you,"

Sam gave a slight nod and stood. "We'll get a drink after your shift. Let me know," he said.

"I will do Sam,"

"You have the bridge Commander," Sam chuckled lightly as he left the room.

"Thank you, Captain," Tasha replied.

3 Likes

Brie sat in her cell and listened. Listened to everything. The stupid grunting of the huge Klingon. The flirtatious advances of the Orion. The incessant yelling of the Tellerite. The snarls and swabbings of the Gorn couple. And the silence of the Captain.

But it wasn't silence. It was anything but. The man rambled and showboated. But he had nothing to say. Nothing added to the conversation. And, more importantly, Brie noticed, that he revealed nothing of his plans. Nothing at all. Under the external flamboyance, was a clever man, a man who seemed to know the worth of the cargo he had in his brig. Brie could not piece together any parts of his speech to form anything of meaning, like puzzle pieces cut wrong. So Brie did what she had been trained to do. She waited. Her mind flickered back to the academy, where she had been told to lie in wait for days to intercept a convoy. The mission was a success. When she had to look down the barrel of a sniper rifle for hours, waiting for her target to move, just so, so she could take him out with no further casualties. The mission was a success. When she had to sit for seconds for her jet to come out of a roll, so she could manoeuvre it just right to prevent it from breaking up in flight. The mission was a success. Patience was the key to success for a MACO officer. Patience. And a bit of luck.

As luck would have it, her patience paid off when the lumbering Klingon entered the brig, very drunk.

"Umuk like human lady," he stated, as he lowered the forcefield around her brig. "Umuk will grant her the honour of his body,"

The Klingon walked drunkenly towards her, the lust dripping from his eyes. Brie looked at him wide-eyed. This would not be pretty. As he moved to grab her, she took her chance. Diving under his outstretched arms and between his thick legs, she rolled out of the brig and jammed her finger into the button that she had seen Umuk press many times to deliver her food. The forcefield was erected just in time. The drunk Klingon had turned and was charging her down, grinning. Evidently, Umuk liked his ladies on the fiesty side. He bounced off the forcefield and staggered backwards.

"Klingons are not my type," she muttered. "Too vanilla," she smirked before turning to leave. Umuk's loud roar stopped her in tracks. "Maldito idiota," she cursed and pressed herself against the door, as Umuk continued to yell and stomp.

"NO NEED TO BRAG YOU BONE RIDGED FOOL, WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. SAVE SOME FOR ME!" Brie heard the Tellerite say as he entered. "FORGET IT, I'LL JOIN YOU, PLENTY FOR THE BOTH OF US," the Tellerite neared the brig. "HEY..."

"That's me you're talking about!" Brie snapped from behind him, pressing the button to lower the force field as she dropkicked the Tellerite in the chest. The small creature flew backwards into the brig, crashing into the Klingon and sending them both sprawling onto the floor. Brie quickly turned the forcefield back on and walked over to them. "You're right. Plenty for the both of you," she shook her head and gave them the middle finger, before running out of the door. From what she had seen of the ship when the doors had opened, and what she had heard, she knew she was towards the back of the ship. The medbay was in front of her, the transporter pad to her right, opposite the turbolift. She could see the bridge at the opposite end of the corridor. That's where she headed.

Her eyes glanced through the doors to the mess where she could see the two Gorn passed out on the table. Well, that made things easier for her. She carried on running towards the bridge.

As soon as she entered, the centre chair swivelled around and Henry stared straight at her, a golden D'k tahg in his hands, using the edge of it to clean his nails.

"Miss Valencia," he stated simply. His voice was formal, very unlike the way she had heard him speak. "Teale," he commanded and Brie saw the Orion lady detach herself from the side of the room and point a pistol at her.

"Mierda," she spat.

"I do not know Spanish, I believe that is, but I can imagine what you said," Henry's smile was wide and bright. "Now you have realised the situation, I believe it would be best for you to return to your cell,"

"No thank you, my cell is occupied by your rather aroused crew, I wouldn't want to disturb their time together,"

Henry threw his head back and laughed. "I did forget to warn you, the brig is the only place on the ship which is soundproofed. Well, that and my quarters," he smirked. "You are welcome to return there, whilst your cell is occupied,"

"Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm married," Brie replied

"Well, he's a lucky man. We will be reuniting you to him shortly. If you behave,"

"I have trouble behaving. It's the wild streak in me,"

Henry licked his lips. "Well... I'm not sure which one of you is hotter right now, the Orion or the Human,"

"I'll give you a hint, it's me," Brie responded and then leapt sideways at the Orion who had looked away from her to Henry at his last statement. The two collapsed to the floor in a heap, the gun sliding towards the door. Brie was up again in an instant and reached forward to grab the gun. Almost instantly, she felt a sharp pain in her hand. From it, was a the golden D'k tahg, embedded into her. She looked at it with a bit of shock.

"Reckless and brash. I had expected better from Starfleet," he shook his head at her. "Women. So pretty and pathetic,"

Her head snapped towards the man at the sexist insult. "You don't know women," Brie said angrily and pulled the blade out of her hand, staring the man down as she did so. Then she picked up the pistol in her injured hand and stood up, gripping the gun tightly despite the pain, so the blood didn't cause it to slip from her hand. She pointed it at him. "Have some respect, if not for me, then for the woman who raised you, you bastard,"

Henry grinned. "So you can swear in English," he said. Before Brie knew it, he was holding two pistols in his hands and fired them at her. She rolled backwards into the corridor, as the space around her filled with the green flashes of the disruptor shots. She glanced around as the shots subsided. This was her chance. Pushing herself from the floor, she squeezed the trigger with some difficulty and pain, firing a blast at the open door to the bridge and bolted down the corridor. She had never run so fast in her life. As she got to the turbolift, the corridor erupted with green disruptor fire.

"Down!" she yelled. "Bottom deck!" she said off the top of her head. The turbolift complied. The doors shut and the turbolift whizzed down for two seconds.

"Deck 3," it stated.

Brie didn't question it and stepped out awed at the sight. The entire deck, was a large cargo bay. There were pieces of salvage, boxes, tanks, crates of all kinds. The turbolift closed behind her and whizzed up again. She didn't have much time to take cover behind one of the pieces of wreckage (she realised it was Starfleet), before the lift opened again. She could see Henry, the Orion, the Klingon and the Tellerite, all there, all armed. She took the first shot before they split up. It was easy enough. Down went the Orion. Brie spent no time admiring her handiwork. She was darting through the cargo bay, using the clattering of their heavy boots to aid her in her maze. She clambered onto some boxes, and watched as the Tellerite walked down the makeshift aisle, oblivious to her. For the second time that day, the Tellerite found himself at the butt end of her shoes as she lept down onto him, kicking his head as she landed. The Tellerite was thrown backwards into the crates. Brie didn't check to see if he was dead, or merely unconscious. She didn't really care. She just had the drunk Klingon and the crack shot Captain to deal with.

She met the former first, running into him as she moved. The Klingon was silent for his size. This time however, he did not grab her. She opened fire at point blank range. To be fair to the Klingon, it took Brie around five shots to bring him down. But down he went. Brie stepped over the body in search of her last quarry. She found him, by the turbolift. He had obviously let everyone else do his dirty work.

"Living up to your reputation, I see," he said, calmly. "MACO are usually the best to kill. It takes a great deal of effort, but it's worth the bragging rights,"

"You are not killing me," Brie said defiantly, and shot the man.

Henry was too fast, ducking and discharging his two pistols at her. Brie dropped the gun and forward rolled, towards him. This movement took him by surprise and he found himself being charged at by a rather enraged Columbian with a blood-stained knife. He leaned back as the knife missed his throat and dropped his own weapons, grabbing Brie's arm.

Brie spun around, her arm still held by the man. He was strong though and the more she tugged, the tighter she could feel his grip. With no other choice, she dropped her weapon and snapped around, screaming in pain as her shoulder popped. The move took the man off guard, and with Brie now standing behind him, he felt his knees give way as she jammed her own knee into the back of his. He let go of Brie's dislocated arm and crumpled to the floor. He turned to face her and was rewarded by a shoe pressing down on his neck. Her working arm clutched at her limp one.

"Pop it back in, it'll save you the pain," Henry muttered, very conscious of the shoe on his trachea.

"What?" Brie spat at him through the pain.

"Reach outwards and then towards your opposite shoulder. It'll pop the shoulder back in..."

Brie looked at him. This man was trying to kill her seconds ago. Nevertheless, she did as he instructed. The shoulder popped back in with a sharp pain and a snap.

"Told you," he smirked. "As much as I love your feet, I'd rather it not on my neck, if you know what I mean?"

"Shut. Up," Brie snapped at him. She lifted her foot off his neck, and kicked him in the head. Using the time he was dazed, she picked up the fallen gun.

"Thank... you... would have... sufficed," he moaned, holding his head.

"Get up," Brie pointed the gun at him.

"You've got such a beautiful accent..."

"Get up!" Brie yelled.

"Alright, alright," Henry responded, climbing to his feet and staggering slightly. "I just want to say, there's really not enough room in the brig for all of us,"

"Too bad," Brie replied.

Minutes later, with all the crew crammed in the cell, and her wounds treated as best she could in the sickbay, Brie walked to the bridge and sat at the helm.

"Okay..." she whispered to herself. "This can't be too difficult to learn. It's time to go home," she pressed a few buttons before stopping. "¡La chimba!" she chuckled. "This ship has a cloak! Engaged!" she pushed it and looked out of the viewscreen. The ship cloaked. Brie looked down at the console and frowned. "Well... that was... anti-climatic. It looks so much better from the outside..." she shook her head. "Anyway. Let's go home," Brie plotted in a course and set the ship to warp. It did exactly that.
4 Likes
"Who counsels the counsellor?"

Spoiler: Part 6Show

(24 February 2418)

"Enter,"

Tasha stood by the door of Sam's quarters. "Hey..."

Sam gave her a cursory glance from his position, staring out of the window at the docked Kassandra and MacAlpine, his arms crossed and his fingers by his mouth.

"Hey,"

Tasha detached herself from the door frame and made her way towards him. "Just coming to check up on you. You've been fairly busy, and we've not seen each other properly since I was deployed to the Thrres..."

"It's a busy time,"

"Sam..." she sighed. "Come on, you know this isn't like you... what's up?"

Sam gave her a hard stare. "Is that really the question you want to ask, Miss Larson?"

Tasha placed her hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it is,"

Sam softened slightly at the touch. "I've lost crewmembers, one of my close friends is dead, another has lost his ship, another has a ship that's barely holding together. Lara was close to assimilation, I have friends on this ship who have been assimilated, and my First Officer is locked in a JAG case," Sam stopped himself from talking further, exhaling.

"Feel better?" Tasha whispered.

"No," he said. Tasha gave him a look, and Sam gave her another quick glance. "Yes,"

"There was a 50/50 chance of you getting that one correct, and you got it wrong," Tasha smirked and gave him a hug. "It's okay Sam, you seem to be coping well, and as a friend and as your counsellor, it's really encouraging to see.

Sam's hug to her was a light side armed hug with one arm. "Thanks, Tash, I appreciate that. I'm... actually very proud of everyone. The Endeavour could have suffered a worse fate," his eyes glance outside. "I've heard reports of the crew performing above and beyond at all levels, to prevent that. We came off lightly..."

"The morale of the crew is fairly high you know," she nods. "It's a totally different feeling to when the Azedi attacked,", she looped her arm around his and rest her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad..."

Tasha looked up at him. "Something's bothering you..."

Sam's eyes never left the two ships outside. "I enjoyed it..." he muttered quietly.

"Pardon?"

"I enjoyed that fight. I enjoyed being in that chair when we engaged. When the Borg entered the bridge, I was ready for a fight,"

Tasha blinked.

"People died Tash. Lives were risked. And there I am, someone who enjoyed the battle. What's wrong with me?"

Tasha didn't say anything straight away. "It's who you are Sam. It's what your countless years of experience have made you to be. A soldier. And... it's that experience that got us here now. It's because of you that the crew performed so admirably. It's why we got out with minor damage. Because of your experience. It's why you're in command of this ship, Sam. When things are tense, when shots start firing, you're able to keep a cool, calm, head. It's not something that I could do easily when the Azedi attacked. The entire battle, I was trying to keep my anxiety at bay, trying not to break down in the centre chair. You... probably fought that entire battle as if it was nothing more than a fight against a... a..." she frowned.

Sam smiled lightly. "A?"

"No, I have nothing, the entire metaphor ran away from me. But the fact remains..." she smiled too. "You did a good job. I think, I mean, I wasn't there to see it,"

Sam shook his head lightly. "I was mostly organising fleet movements and commands. It was Mischa who did the hands on command,"

"Well, that's what a Flagship does Sam," she grinned, resting her head on his arm again. "That's why the Endeavour has such a fast computer and communications systems. To coordinate with fleet movements. That's how battles are won,"

"When did you become such a tactical expert?" Sam tilted his head down at Tasha.

"Ever since reading a book called From Battleships to Starships: The evolution of Naval Military Tactics, by a certain Dr Bishop. Oh and when you decided that I needed to be in command of the Bark,"

The pair shared a laugh.

"Oh..." Sam looked at Tasha. "I might actually need a yeoman now. Can I get you to oversee a personnel transfer?"

Tasha frowned. "What's wrong with HoloJenny?"

Sam mumbled something.

"Pardon?"

"Her... program was wiped..."

"What how?" Tasha's eyebrows shot up.

"Kelly... when... the Borg arrived, she decided to use the holographic patterns on the bridge to throw up holographic images of me to distract the Borg. The console exploded as she did it. It... corrupted the holographic database and replaced all the holograms in the file with my own pattern,"

"You mean..." Tasha burst out in laughter.

"Yes, every single hologram on this ship is currently me," Sam replied bitterly.

Tasha was shaking with laughter.

"Engineering are working on restoring the patterns, but Jenny was completely wiped over,"

"Does that mean... the EMH... is..." Tasha said through fits of laughter.

"Yes," he replied flatly.

"Oh man. That's hilarious,"

"Very much so,"

Tasha punched his arm. "Cheer up. It could be worse,"

"How?"

Tasha thought for a moment. "No, you're right, it really can't,"

Sam rolled his eyes. "Thanks for the great support there Larson,"

Tasha smiled, and reached down to grab his hand. "I'm glad that you're okay. I was worried about what this battle would do to you. I'm happy that you're managing this well,"

"I have a great support staff," he smiles. "Mischa's been working overtime to help with the repairs, leaving me to focus on the administration,"

"Looks like I kept my promise," she grinned.

Sam shook his head, " Forget promise, you brought me a golden swan,"

"And Lara?"

"She's... struggling," Sam sighed.

"Want me to go sit with her for a bit? It'll free you up some time, so you can do a bit of a walk around,"

Sam glanced to his bedroom, and then back at Tasha. "Thanks Tash..."

"Go. I'll look after her,"

Sam nodded and left the room. Tasha made her way into his bedroom, to find Lara lying on the bed, asleep. A chair was placed on one side, next to her, and Tasha lowered herself into the chair, watching Lara. She had fresh scratches over her face, the most prominent ones being the two lines that were on her neck. Tasha leaned over, brushing the hair away from Lara's face, and traced the lines, wincing slightly.

"Vilik did it," Lara's voice made Tasha jump and pull her hand back.

"Lara! Sam's just gone for a walk, I'm gonna sit here for a bit, okay?"

Lara gave a small nod. "Vilik saved me from being assimilated. He... wanted me to make sure you knew,"

"Vilik... the Lieutenant?"

Lara nodded again.

Tasha blinked a few times. "Oh..."
4 Likes
"An Illogical Addiction"

Spoiler: Part 1Show
T'Lyra ordered the doors shut as soon as she was clear of them.

"Computer, dim lights, 73% and lock door,"

Dimming lights. Door locked.

T'Lyra shrugged her jacket off and placed it neatly in the wardrobe. Walking over to the replicator, she ordered a drink.

"Water, plain, 275.75 Kelvin,"

The water shimmered onto the replicator and T'Lyra took a gentle sip. Next, she walked into her bedroom and placed the water on her bedside table. Reaching across to the shelf, she picked up a medium sized box and took it back to her living area. She sat on her sofa and looked out at the stars, the box at her lap. Finally, placing the box on the window ledge, she pressed her thumb to it. The box chimed and spoke in her native Vulcan.

Identity Confirmed: T'Lyra. Opening...

A small whir could be heard of working gears before the box opened to form a miniature chemistry lab. T'Lyra carefully pulled out various vials and a rather antique looking chemistry burner, which looked like a cross between a Bunson and a Meker burner. Once her lab was set out, she stood up and walked over to a plant that was by her window.

The Quzalia plant was a large plant, with thick green leaves that curled down to the floor. In amongst the leaves were tendrils of sharp spines, like barbed wire. Out of the curls shot up several olive stems each holding a beautiful flower, with orange sepals and bright blue petals.
Spoiler: The Quzalia PlantShow
Quesnelia+liboniana+-C.jpg

OOC: Actual plant called Quesnelia Liboniana

T'Lyra bent down, carefully parting the larger leaves to get to the smaller ones behind. Finally settling on one, she picked it and took it to her lab. Turning the burner on, she dropped the leaf on a dish and held it over the flame, watching as the leaf curled up, gave a short, high pitched whine, before catching fire. The flame was bright white and short-lived. Removing the ashes from the flame, T'Lyra watched as they went from black to white as they reacted with the air. When she was certain that they were the correct colour, she poured 20 millilitres of her water into a vial and dropped the ashes into it, placing a stopper as soon as she did. The ashes fizzled slightly before dissolving into the water, turning it cobalt. T'Lyra swirled the vial three and a half times before pushing a tube into the stopper and watching the gas hiss out into another vial. As the gas moved to the other vial, she returned to the plant and leaned into the flower head. Taking the blue flower, she opened it carefully and plucked a small pod-like anther, returning to her lab once this was done. She removed the liquid vial from the pipe and opened it, squeezing the pod as she did so. It popped and liquid seeped out of it. It was only a few drops but the liquid in the vial began to bubble and froth. She quickly placed this on the burner and turned it on, watching as the liquid began to turn to gas. Once she was sure all the liquid had evaporated, she replaced the pipe from before into the vial. This time, the gas she had collected earlier was now sent back into the vial which had contained the liquid. Once all the gas had mixed, T'Lyra took the vial to a cooling bath she had and placed it in there. Now it was a waiting game as the gases condensed back into a solid. Whilst she waited, it was time to get the next ingredient. This one was rather tricky and difficult to replicate. At least, the type she wanted was.

T'Lyra left her room minutes later, wearing her Vulcan robes. She wondered the corridors of the Endeavour, marvelling at the engineering around her, the feel of the engines beneath her feet, the gentle hum of a ship at warp. Subconsciously nodding at the various greetings she was given, T'Lyra found herself on Deck 9, at the mess. She was about to head to the bar when she froze, spying who was on duty. She began to turn around, praying that he hadn't seen her.

"Lyra! Great ta see ya!" Tom grinned.

T'Lyra closed her eyes and turned.

"Thomas," she replied.

"What can I get ya? Tha' spiced tea?"

"No, thank you," she replied. "Do you have my saffron?"

"Tha' I dooo," he nodded and went to the back, rummaging through items. "You doin' some cookin'?"

"No,"

Tom chuckled. "It's alrigh'... I won't be offended!" Tom returned and gave T'Lyra the small bottle. "Saffron from Farla 3!"

"Thank you," she took the bottle from Tom.

"I'll be seein' ya!" Tom gave her a cheery wave. T'Lyra didn't respond as she made her way back to her room.

Once she was back, she pulled the vial out of the bath and looked at it. The gas had turned into a white crystal on the bottom. Perfect. Opening it, she scooped out the contents and put them in a well-decorated snuff box. Then she carefully and meticulously cleaned all the equipment, placed it back in the box, and stashed it back on the shelf. Then, she turned to the snuff box. Sitting on the sofa, cross-legged, she could feel the previous hit wear away. A headache. The tickling feeling in her stomach. The onrush of emotions and memories. She was beginning to feel queasy, her brow laced with sweat. She opened the box. The white crystals scintillated in the light of the stars whizzing by. Her vision began to blur as she looked at the door.

"T'Lyra...I..."

Her room wasn't that far from the counselor's office. She should go...

The room span. The walls rushed in.

"Come on T'Lyra..."

Her fingers picked up a shard and crushed it, the crystal disintegrating easily into a fine powder and falling into her outstretched palm. Her other hand, shaky, opened the bottle of saffron and sprinkled a few drops of the soft seasoning onto the powder.

"Now's your chance T'Lyra..."

With a final glance at the door, she lifted her palm to her nose and took a deep breath.
3 Likes
"Swings and Roundabouts"

Amy stood on the bridge and stared, wide-eyed, at the viewscreen in front of her; a starship warping into the nearby space and then moving towards the drydock. As it turned, saw the light from the sun reflect off the long nacelles, with the starship's name emblazoned on them. It was not as if she actually needed to read what was written; she could spot that ship's profile from anywhere.

The first time seeing the Endeavour out of drydock, she was watching her return to drydock.

"What have they done with my ship?" she muttered quietly.

"Oh hey, the Endeavour's here!" Ashley turned to look at the viewscreen.

"Did you know about this Ensign?" Amy asked the intel officer, who looked away, slightly ashamed.

"No, Commander..."

Amy closed her eyes very briefly. Clearly, this crew needed a lot more work. "Ensign Greene, put us on a course alongside the Endeavour. Miss Runad, hail them,"

"Yes ma'am," the pair chorused and Amy took her seat, mainly to stop her legs from shaking and betraying her feelings of seeing the Endeavour again. Four years ago, she had been part of the team that helped to create the ship, before having their hopes dashed as the ship was drydocked following her maiden voyage. Amy wasn't even given the chance to find out why the ship had been drydocked, as she was assigned a new project, and then reassigned completely. She had felt a mixture of guilty anger and frustration when she heard that the ship had been fixed and deployed. The only project that she had failed to complete successfully had been given over to someone else, and it pained her that she had this failure on her mind. Try as she might, she could never wipe the stain on her record away, a blot of oil that would never come off, no matter how hard she tried.

And then the offer came, of a First Officer position on the Endeavour. She had been at a crossroads, stuck between her dream job of working as a Chief Engineer on a starship, or joining the ship that she had failed on. It must have been madness that compelled her to accept the offer. Packing her bags and turning her back on a job she had hoped she would have stayed a while at, she arrived at DS13 with trepidation. Events did not ease her fears.

She was immediately told that the Endeavour was out on an extended patrol, and she would have to wait for the ship's Aquarius escort, the USS Bark, to return with a crew rotation. As she waited for the Bark to arrive, she immersed herself in knowing this new fleet inside out, so that she could start her job as First Officer well. A job she had no preparation for. A job that she had no idea what to even do. Then the Bark arrived, and she was told that the ship would depart in a week. It was okay, she could wait a week. She tentatively took her position on the Bark, and managed the day to day activities. It wasn't much, but it helped to settle her nerves somewhat.

And now this.

Less than 24 hours before they were scheduled to depart, the Endeavour turns up at DS13 with no prior warning and heads towards drydock. Amy wasn't able to spot any damage from her viewpoint, but she did not like what her gut was telling her. Her gut was proven correct as the Bark manoeuvred towards the larger ship and Amy was able to catch a glance of the back of the ship in full. One of the docking pylons for the Bark was missing, the other looked badly damaged. The hull around the back had also buckled, creating an uneven shape, as if something that exploded from the inside.

"Commander, the Endeavour is on the line,"

Amy swallowed. "Put it..." she stopped, her voice was clearly shaking. Taking a small breath, she tried again. "Put it onscreen,"

The viewscreen changed from the back of the ship to the bridge. The man sitting in the centre wore four pips on his collar.

"Captain Bishop?"

Sam narrowed his eyes briefly. "Speaking... who are you?"

Amy stood. "Commander Samaras reporting sir,"

Sam's face softened in realisation. "Commander... I should have expected you on the Bark,"

"Yes, sir. It is a surprise to see you here with the Endeavour... we did not expect this,"

Sam raised his eyebrows and shot a look at someone offscreen. "You did not? I had expected you to be informed,"

Amy looked at Ashley again, who was seemingly very busy. "We were not,"

"Very well. The Endeavour has suffered some critical damage to Deck 20, including her docking bay for the USS Bark. I have placed a request for the ship to be fixed quickly so that she may rejoin Task Force Raven. We've been given priority clearance for repairs, and we will be receiving a full timeframe this evening,"

"Understood sir,"

"Once the ship is in drydock, I will meet you onboard the Bark to give you a full briefing. In the meantime, I want you to prepare the Bark for immediate deployment; if the Endeavour's repairs take more than a week, we will rejoin the Task Force in the Bark,"

Amy did not like his precaution... it meant that the damage to the Endeavour was worse than what she could see. "Yes sir,"

"Very well, Bishop out... oh, and welcome to the Endeavour, Commander,"

Amy closed her eyes briefly as the viewscreen blacked out. "Ensign Greene... take us back towards DS13. Lieutenant Sh'zeliss, prepare all hands for disembarkment. You have the bridge, I shall be in the ready room,"

Amy left the bridge and waited for the door to close behind her before slumping to the ground and taking a deep breath. She hoped that her entire posting here would not remain like this.
4 Likes

Brie's eyes slowly opened and she found herself staring at the disinfected white ceiling of the Endeavour medical bay. She took a moment to adjust to the scenery, before turning her head slowly. It hurt. More than any hangover she'd ever experienced. The bright light seemed to burn, and Brie closed her eyes briefly, plunging her world into darkness again. Slowly, and with great effort, she opened her eyes once more, getting adjusted to the light. People in blue and white jackets buzzed around, though there were certainly less of them currently than she was used to waking up to.

They must be on leave.

Her eyes fell on the items gathered on the bedside table. Flowers and cards. And a teddy bear. She hmm'd and reached out to touch the bear, before slowly pushing up off her bed to sit up properly. Her vison blurred and spun in circles and Brie fell back onto the bed, waiting for the spinning to stop.

Crap, this is going to be difficult...

Once the spinning had subsided, she tried again, hoisting herself up. The blurred vison and spinning returned, but Brie pushed through to sit up. She then promptly had an urge to vomit, but years of training to not throw up in stupid places allowed her to keep anything that wanted to come up, down. For the moment.

Her eyes turned to the assembled items on the side of her bed. She picked up a card at random. It was a simple "Get Well Soon" card. Inside a simple message, signed by Captain Derenzis. Brie smiled as she set the card down. She picked up another card. This one was signed by Captain Bishop. She tossed that card to the side. There were another few cards; some from Riomi and Pippa, some from her MACO squad, and a large one signed by most of the Endeavour senior officers. The bear was sent by Tasha, and it made Brie smile.

Cuddling her new soft toy, she thought back to how she got here. The last thing she remembered was having a drink on Risa... that didn't really explain how she got to where she was. She sighed and slid back into the covers of the bed, squeezing the toy tightly. What happened to her? She remembered the poker game she was playing, and remembered how she was winning. She remembered how one person was getting rather handsy. After that, she remembered him storming out... why? That was when the spinning returned and Brie rubbed her temples. It was no use.

Swinging her legs off the bed, she steadied herself. She hated hospital beds, and she needed a drink. Maybe some fresh air would clear her head? Bear in hand, Brie marched out of the medical room purposefully. She was sure someone would try to stop her, but then again, most the medical staff were scared of her. As Brie left the medbay unharassed, she smiled at the thought of her scary aura. She turned and headed for her quarters, stopping every now and again to take a rest to stop her spinning head, carefully disguised as her browsing some computer record or something. It helped that most the crew were on Risa anyway. Getting to her quarters, she bathed and got dressed, before deciding that she was still on leave so she would milk it to the last. She set off again, this time to transport down to Risa. She needed a drink.
3 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Brie's hair plastered the side of her face as she dodged a successive series of jabs from her opponent.

"Christ Briella, you are... quick," Amy exclaimed as she regained a defensive stance after her failed attack, just in time to block a kick Brie had aimed at her head.

"Ay Amy, no blasfemes!" Brie countered as she brought her leg back and threw some shots at Amy.

"Mi spiace..." Amy winced as Brie's repeated punches started to send pain down her arms from having to block them, and managed to dodge the last shot before her defence broke entirely.

"Want a break?" Brie asked in Spanish.

"No... no... I'm fine," Amelia replied in her native Italian, though it was unconvincing and it made Brie chuckle.

"Hey, guess what," she said, circling Amy.

"Get in trouble again?" Amy cautiously asked, trying to size Brie up for a takedown.

"Hey no!" Brie rolled her eyes and saw Amy's eyes drop, so she snapped a kick up.

"Then... what?" Amy said, leaning back just in time to see the kick whistle past her face, and leapt in to grab Brie's waist, trying to rotate her to the ground.

Brie swayed and was looking like she was going to crash to the ground, but managed to retain her balance and plant herself firmly on the floor, letting Amy expend her energy. "I'm taking responsibility,"

Amy laughed and tried to suplex Brie. Brie was taken by surprise and went crashing to the ground. "I don't believe it," Amy said, attempting to place Brie in a submission hold.

"Believe it," Brie said, squirming to break out of Amy's hold. "I'm running MACO training aboard the Scharnhorst,"

"Captain Blue-Nimitz? What's her name..."

"Trellian,"

"Oh yes, I met her the other day,"

Brie finally managed to escape Amy's grip, already weakened by the blows Brie had dealt her earlier. "You think I could do it?" she asked, as she rolled and stood up again, taking a defensive position.

"MACO Training?" Amy said, also climbing to her feet. "I would hope so,"

"No..." Brie took an easy swipe at Amy, who chuckled. "Leading a class,"

"Why not? You do it here,"

"Only for people I know... and it's a small class of a handful of people. It's chill,"

"Ohhhhh! Is Briella scared of people?" Amy jested.

"No," Brie stated, frowning and taking another punch at Amy who managed to block it.

"I'm kidding Briella, I think you'll be a great instructor,"

"I don't know, I don't think I'm cut out for this. I saw the opportunity and my mouth ran before my brain could process it,"

Amy lowered her arms slightly. "I've yet to see a problem that you couldn't solve,"

Brie saw her opportunity and lunged at Amy, placing her in a submission hold and taking her down to the ground. "Thanks Amy,"

Amy tapped out.
1 Like
"New Me, New You"

Spoiler: Part 2Show
The last thing Brie remembered was a flash of yellow and the searing pain of the shot, arcing all over her body. Then. She was in a bed. Her eyelids were heavy, and she couldn't move them. She could hear someone though. No. Two people. Two familiar voices. Were they the people who shot her? Someone took her hand; she could feel the soft skin touching hers, gently caressing the top of her hand.

"Oh mio dios Briella..."

The voice was soft and gentle, like the last of the summer winds rippling through the cornfields. It was Amy's. Brie wanted to open her eyes, but they wouldn't respond. All she could do was listen to Amy's voice. A warm drop fell on her hand. Was Amy crying?

"Sam, you need to stop doing this,"

Was Sam here? What was he doing here?

"I know..." his voice was... different. Softer. Gentle. Remorseful?

"Why do you do it?" Amy's voice was nothing more than a whisper. "Why do you keep sending her?"

Was Amy talking about her? There was a pause.

"She's my best officer," came Sam's voice. Again, gentle. Too gentle.

"She's going to get killed one day,"

"She won't get killed. She's MACO. She's the best of the best,"

"It only takes one shot, Sam!" Amy responded angrily. "One lucky shot and we won't be able to get her back,"

"Amy... this is what they're trained to do,"

"She's not trained for you to deploy whenever you feel like it! Just because she's living a life that you never had, doesn't mean you can drop her in any mission you feel is "exciting" or "awesome","

There was a pause. Brie tried to open her eyes. Peering out from the small crack that she managed to open, she saw Sam standing at the end of her bed, with Amy sitting next to her.

"Amy... you're right. You're right that I see a younger version of me in her. But I also know what that younger self did and how he got here. I don't want that for Gabriella. I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did,"

"You don't get to decide Sam,"

"I don't. I know that. But I can try to steer her down a path that brings out the best in her,"

"Sam, that path is going to get her killed,"

"Amy... I know that. She knows that. She knows that every time she pulls on the uniform. But she does it with pride. She does it because she knows her own skill and what she must do to survive. Keeping her locked up, chained behind a desk isn't going to make that easy for her,"

Silence descended on the room. Brie could see Sam move closer to Amy, perching on the side of her bed. "Amelia," he said. "I know she's your friend. She's special to me too, not just by virtue of being on this ship, but because I see greatness in her. And it's up to me to nurture that greatness and make her the best she can be. Just as it's my job to help you become a better officer. And... this is a part of it. Sometimes... you have to send people you love, friends, family, to a situation that could lead to their deaths. That's what command is about. Because we serve something that's bigger than just me, or you, or Gabriella. Our job is to protect the weak, uphold truth, and justice in this galaxy. And if we have to make sacrifices, whether that's others, or ultimately, our own, then that's what we have to do. That's what putting that badge on your chest means. That's what we give up to be here,"

"I can't do it Sam. I can't make that sacrifice,"

"And that's why you're a good officer, Amy. Because you care about those under your command,"

There was another pause. "What are we going to do with her Sam? Is she ready for the increased responsibilities?"

"Were you ready for this job?"

"No. I'm still not,"

"So why are you here,"

"Because... I can't leave this ship. I don't want to leave this ship. I want to do the best job possible,"

Brie heard Sam chuckle lightly.

"And that's what she wants to do. Don't worry. We both know that she'll do the best she can do, no matter where she is,"

"I hope so Sam. I hope so,"

Brie's head started to spin, and her eyes started to close. She fought to try to keep them open, but it was a losing battle. She so desperately wanted to tell both of them that their faith in her wasn't misplaced, but when she managed to get her eyes open, they were no longer there.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Spoiler: Part 3Show
"So, you like her?"Brie asked, jabbing the gloves that Pablo put up with expert efficiency. Left, right, left, left, left, right, left, right, right, left, left.. It was almost as if she knew which hand Pablo would put up before he knew himself.

"I... don't know, she's kinda cute and all," Pablo responded, his face slightly red, though it could have been either embarrassment or strain at this point.

"You do like her," Brie chuckled.

"I... don't know her well enough," Pablo slipped slightly under Brie's heavy blows and his arms dropped momentarily.

"Pft," Brie leaned back, letting Pablo regain his stance. "Come on Neste, you know you have to keep them up, otherwise you're going into the back wall... again,"

"I know. You... need to slow down, you're doing my arms in,"

Brie shrugs, wiping sweat from her face and retaking her offensive stance. "Think of it as stamina training,"

"I've never liked cardio," Pablo sighed, placing his arms up ready for another volley. "That was always Charles' forte,"

"Oh man, that Belgian can run," Brie chuckles and attacks the gloves again, slower, for Pablo's sake.

"Tell me about it. He runs 10ks for fun. I barely wheeze out 5,"

Brie chuckles. "It's because you're una mierda gorda," she teases

"I'm a what?" Pablo's arms fell slightly and he narrowly dodged the blow from Brie. "Woah Valencia, calm down,"

"You need to get your mind off that security bird, that's what."

Pablo did turn red from embarrassment. "It's not like that... she works under my command,"

"That doesn't stop people,"

"That doesn't stop you," Pablo sighed, and put his gloves up again. "How you manage it is beyond me,"

"It takes skill," Brie smirked.

"It takes luck. I bet you that was what the Cap called you in for the other day, right?"

"How much you betting?"

"I... it was a figure of speech,"

"If you're wrong, you'll ask the girl out,"

"NO!" Pablo said, his arms dropping. Once again, he managed to just duck out of Brie's jab.

Brie chuckled and motioned for his arms to go back up. "It's good you didn't because you would have taken a one way trip down Tom's buttery date meals," she said, resuming her punches when Pablo's arm came up.

"What was it then?"

"Oh, it was nothing, apparently I have "anger management" issues," Brie scoffs. "Do you think I have anger issues?"

"Me... no... I..." Pablo grunted. "Honest answer?"

"If I didn't want an honest answer, I wouldn't have asked," Brie replied.

"I think you... may have some issues, yes," Pablo said, before he found himself hitting the back wall. Brie had spun on her heel and delivered a roundhouse kick to him, sending him flying back.

"I don't have anger management issues," Brie shook her head, undoing the tape around her hands, storming out of the gym.

"Gabriella, wait," Pablo tried to get up, knowing that he really shouldn't have been honest at that time. He didn't get very far, and slumped back onto the bulkhead. "Dammit... that was... ouch," he threw the gloves off his hands.

~~

"I'll show them anger issues," Brie muttered as she stormed off down the corridor. "It's not my fault when everyone here is so fuc..." she walked into someone and her eyes shot up. "What where you're f..." she paused.

"I'm... er... sorry," Diego said, stunned at the Latina who had just walked into him. "I'm sorry Lieutenant Valencia, I... wasn't watching where I was going. I'm still finding my way around this ship..." he rubbed the back of his neck.

"No... no," Brie said, her eyes dropping slightly. "I... should have been looking," she heard herself mutter, and found her hand moving to the corner of her head to tuck some hair behind her ear. "How are you... settling in?"

"Other than getting lost, it's been... good, I'm so glad I got the transfer here," Deigo said.

Brie cautioned a glance up. "I'm g..." she caught herself before the words left her mouth. "I am glad you have recovered from the Storm Planet,"

Diego gave a humourless chuckle. "Recovery is a bit of a strong word. I'm coping. How have you been? I bet you took it in your stride,"

"Yeah..." Brie nodded.

Diego looked at her curiously. "I... er... actually should..." he sidestepped her and made his way down the corridor. "Gotta get back to the lab... don't want to gas the ship..." he gave a nervous chuckle. "I'll see you around,"

"Sure," Brie said, a little too quickly and then bundled off down the corridor.

"Hey Brie!" came a male voice from behind and Brie spun around, once again, a little too quickly.

"Yes? Oh..." her face fell. "It's you," she said as she saw Pablo round the corner.

"I just want to... wait..." he turned back to the disappearing body of Diego. "You... ooof," he crumpled to the ground, grabbing his groin.

"Pedazo de mierda!" Brie hissed and resumed storming off down the corridor.

"I... deserved that," Pablo said through clenched teeth, lying on the floor in pain.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Spoiler: Part 4Show
Brie was curled up along the frame of the window in her room, gazing out into the dark sky. Her air, untied, cascaded over her shoulders. A finger twisted the end of her hair into small curls, her heart twisting her stomach into knots.

She didn't like this feeling. This feeling of vulnerability. Of weakness without defence. Her brain struggled to find a solution, a way to shore up this hole in her walls. But the damning thought, that someone had broken through the stalwart bastions she had erected and maintained for her entire life, pierced her deep, like an arrow to the heart. And he didn't even try. He didn't even know.

She was trapped in a hurricane of emotion, uprooted by his charm. She wanted to go towards the eye, towards the centre of it all, but the winds grew harder and more forceful as she stumbled forward. She wanted to run the opposite direction, to run away from the storm and what was in the centre, but she couldn't find her way out. Everywhere looked the same. Every road, every building, every wall. There was nothing she could do. And the wind just kept on threatening to sweep her away.

Tears welled in her eyes, and she hugged her knees tightly, hoping that she could squeeze out her emotions. Instead, they bounded around her, causing pain wherever they touched. Her body, which she had learnt to know so well, was like a stranger to her. Involuntary. Her palms, usually so steady, were shaky and slicked with sweat. Her voice, usually honed and sharp, were blunted and dull whenever he walked past. It was as if he was sapping her energy and strength, overriding her core programming and taking over, bit by bit. Slowly, her strings were being cut, and she couldn't stop him from doing so.

And the worst part? She wanted it. She craved it. She wanted him to take her, to enslave her heart, mind, body, and soul. What would it be like? To have his arms around her? To wake up next to him? To kiss his face, to have his taste on her lips? He felt tantalisingly close, and yet, he was sectors away. What would it take to bridge that gap? To be her ever after?

But what would happen if at the centre of the storm, it wasn't him?

Brie kicked off the window, storming out of her room, her eyes streaming with tears. She stumbled through the blinding halls of the Endeavour, and threw herself into the holodeck.

"Computer, play Valencia Program Echo Nine. Seal doors, save and end program if they open. Verification code, V785513 Romeo,"

The doors sealed behind her and suddenly, Brie found herself on the Endeavour bridge. Something she had come to find as home. Swallowing her feelings and thoughts, she wiped her eyes and took the centre chair. "Computer, play program,"

The bridge erupted with movement and voices. She looked down to see her clothes had changed to her uniform, with a difference. It wasn't her usual darkened blue stripe. Nor were her shoulders dark grey. And her captain pips were no longer MACO pips.

"Captain Valencia, we're good to go on your command,"

Brie felt the sides of her mouth twitch upwards. "Warp 8, Ensign. Hit it,"

As the Endeavour warped away, Brie felt her emotions falling away.
2 Likes
"Mister Mwanajama's Marvellous Machines"

Rufus burst into the R&D lab. "I've done it!"

Charles and Brie looked up from their shared workbench at the interruption, and then both simultaneously looked at each other, uttering a small sigh.

"Mister Mwanajama. It's so... good..." Charles looked at Brie for confirmation of the last fact. She was not so sure. "... to see you,"

"I have finally done it!" Rufus repeated, bumbling over towards the pair. Brie looked at Charles. This is what good manners got you.

Rufus, wearing a black technicians apron over his enlisted uniform, was also wearing a curious halo-like device around his neck, that seemed to orbit his head. Neither Brie, nor Charles, liked the look of this device. Brie glanced to Charles, giving him a look that practically screamed "don't you dare,"

Charles dared. Either to spite Brie, or, most likely, he didn't know what Brie was saying. "What have you done, Mister Mwanajama?" Brie aimed a kick at Charles' shin. "OUCH!"

Rufus didn't seem to mind Charles' exclamation. His brain had stopped listening to what his ear said after Charles opened his mouth when he walked in. "Please. Stay seated. For my greatest invention to date! Tell me, do you snack?"

Charles rubbed his shin whilst nodding. "I do yes,"

"WELL THEN!" Rufus exclaimed with much passion. "This device is for you! Do you want to snack without using your hands, leaving them free for other activities?"

"No, not par..."

"WELL WANT NO MORE! FOR I, RUFUS MWAMAJAMA HAVE A SOLUTION!"

"Oh this is going to be interesting," Brie muttered.

"Allow me to demonstrate. The humble Earth peanut. A staple for many a snacking need. Well, observe. MM67, please load an earth peanut to the snacking device,"

The device around Rufus' neck flashed with bright colours, and then a computerised voice, strangely similar to Rufus' own, responded. "THE peanut HAS BEEN LOADED!" It was clear that the word for peanut had been taken from the ship's own computerised voice and the change in voices was painfully obvious. Upon his neck, the halo rotated, and as it passed a small replicator, peanuts appeared on the disk.

"And now, watch, as these peanuts move to my mouth, without me even touching them," Rufus exclaimed.

Brie and Charles blinked once. Then twice. And then Brie's mouth quirked into a grin, and she reached for her PADD, ready to film. "Oh this is going to be gold,"

As the peanuts moved around in front of Rufus' mouth, a smaller device appeared on the outer rim of the disk, and suddenly began to fire the nuts across to Rufus' face. Peanuts flew everywhere, pelting the man again and again. The device then stopped. Rufus looked at the two, slightly dazed. And then he opened his mouth to show a peanut, successfully fired into it. "TADA!"

Charles looked at the mass of peanuts that had missed, hitting the wall and dropping on the floor. Such mess. Brie was beside herself in laughter, falling off her stool.

"Mister... Mwamajama... I... did you anticipate such a mess?"

"NOPE!" Rufus exclaimed triumphantly. "BUT DO NOT WORRY! I HAVE A MACHINE THAT WILL CLEAN THIS UP STRAIGHT AWAY! I SHALL BE BACK!" Rufus ran out of the lab.

"Oh boy..." Charles said, getting off his stool to pick up the mess. "Are you going to help me with this?"

Brie replied through bouts of laughter. "Hell no,"
1 Like
"New Me, New You"

Brie very much dreaded this day. Valentines Day. She hated it on a normal occasion; star-struck lovers making cookie cutter gestures professing their undying love for each other, only to break up a few months down the line? Or how about the November babies, almost certainly conceived on this day, or, more likely, on this night. No thank you. Going to the bar was a celebration of love, where you couldn't turn your head without seeing two people locked in some sort of kiss. Either that, or it was full of sad loners who spent the night in holosuites.

Neither were things Brie enjoyed on a good day. But this year it was different. This year, there was someone she wanted, and she hoped wanted her too. And if he did, today would be the day he'd say something. He was stupid that way. And predictable.

So Brie spent the entire day on edge, signing up on double bridge shift having nobody but the Captain around. He also signed up for double shifts, letting Amy have the day off to spend with her fiancé who had decided to surprise her by coming up yesterday. The very surprise that Amy loved, but Brie despised. If she could make it through today without any surprises, it would be good.

To be fair to the Captain, it wasn't necessarily boring. They'd played Starship Operation (where participants turned off systems without setting off an alarm), which the Captain was surprisingly good at. Very, very surprising. They'd debated about the placement of a grand staircase on the Endeavour (Brie suggested that the right side strut leading up to the saucer would be the best, because they could install a giant slide on the other side, which the Captain seemed to like, as long as there was a ball pit at the bottom. Child). Vayyolet came up the bridge, and asked what Valentines Day actually was, because she had no idea what love was (Brie explained that it was when a naughty flying creature flew around with arrows and shot people making them go crazy). The Captain was not pleased with her explanation, but was even less pleased when Brie tasked Vayyolet with going around the ship looking for them.

And then the Captain got a call in his ready room, which Brie eavesdropped. It was from his sectors away wife. Brie left him there and decided to sit on his chair, adjusting the height and the recline, before climbing up on top of the viewscreen and sitting there dodging Pippa, Mimi, and Amelie's attempts to knock her off.

Then Samir came up and tried to tell them off, so they took his combadge and played Samir in the middle with it. The game ended when Samir stormed off to his console in a huff, and that also signalled the end of Brie's shift. Great, she thought. Now all she had to do was do a workout and then head to bed. Valentines Bar Night, normally when Brie went around ruining relationships, was off the cards. He'd most certainly be there. She could sit in her room and watch Takeshi's Starship, or I'm a Vulcan, Get Me Out of Here!.

She killed it in workout. Sejanus challenged her to a fight. She won. That put her top of the Endeavour for the first time this year. Brie took comfort that she did break one heart today, along with a bone, she was sure. Sejanus showed very little emotion as he limped off to medical. After an intense session of weightlifting before setting off on a three mile run in double gravity, Brie felt like she was invincible. After packing her bag, she left the gym, sweat glistening across her bare thighs, stomach, and arms. She was two steps from safety when she heard his voice.

"Gabriella?" his voice was deep, a low Spanish rumble, that ignited a fire inside her. "I've been looking for you everywhere..."

Brie turned, her post-workout invincibility shattering as their eyes locked. Diego's eyes travelled up and down Brie's body, and her fire was stoked further. He was still in uniform, but his jacket was slung loosely over his shoulder, his index finger on his right hand hooked around the collar to stop it from sliding down. "Hello Diego..."

"I... had... how was your day?" Diego said.

"Fine," Brie replied quickly, wanting this conversation to end so she could get to the comfort of her bed and that of the antics of Keeping up with the Cardassians.

"I... kinda..." he rubbed the back of his neck. "Happy Valen..." his sentence was cut as the sound of the slap echoed down the corridor.

"No!" Brie hissed. "No, don't say it?"

"Why?" Diego asked, shocked at her slap.

"I don't want to hear it," Brie tried to get away from him, his intoxicating smell, his eyes that were filled with sadness and pain at her slap.

"Okay... okay..." he said quickly. "I... was going to ask are you going to the party?"

"No. I'm not feeling well,"

"Oh? Do you want to go to medical?" Diego asked, his pain suddenly gone, and replaced with concern. "I'll take you?" he took a few steps closer.

"No, I don't need to go to medical," Brie stated. "I just want to go shower,"

"Oh..." Diego said, stopping where he was. "Oh, okay... have a good night," he said, and turned to leave.

Brie's legs forced her towards Diego, and her hand flew up again to slap him. He was quicker this time, and managed to catch her hand moments before it hit him. "Brie?" he asked quizzically.

Brie stood there frozen, her hand in mid-air. Then finally, "just shut up and kiss me," she whispered, her voice shaking and trembling, barely audible.

The kiss was everything Brie wanted and more. It was what she needed, what she craved, her apple of sin. And it was too much. She pushed Diego off her. "Te odio... Haga conmigo lo que quiera," she said, breathless before she bolted into her room and locked the door.

Her breath slowly returned to normal as she stood on the other side, leaning against the door. Her senses returned, radiating from her heart to her extremities. Her brain fought happy and sad. Her lips tingled with the taste of his. She was in the dark now. She was inside the hurricane. And the only way was forward.
3 Likes
"Swings and Roundabouts"

Spoiler: Part 2Show
Amy sat in one of the viewing lounges on the Endeavour, her eyes transfixed on the empty husk of the Shackleton in drydock. She was no stranger to broken ships. During the Iconian War, she spent her time divided between the construction of the Endeavour and repairing damaged ships from the war. She was even part of teams that had to decommission those ships that couldn't be fixed. Working as a drydock manager, she'd done the exact same. Broken ships were her bread and butter.

But her brief time on the Endeavour had told her something that she didn't realise before. These ships had lives outside of them. Part of what made the ship so alive was the crew, the blood cells of the ship. She knew that each ship had a soul, had a heart, had a brain. But it wasn't until she was the First Officer did she realise that the ship was nothing without her crew. And the ship sitting in the dock was nothing. No crew. No Captain. It was empty. It was dead.

Amy felt rather detached from the whole situation. A ship in drydock was a sad sight, like a beached whale. Normally, she was the one pushing it back into the water, but now, Amy was a spectator, and it wasn't a nice feeling. Her heart yearned to go back to the shipyards, to pick up a hammer and spanner and get to work. But her brain knew she had to stay where she was. On the Endeavour. On her ship.

Adjusting to the position had not been easy. Not at all. Amy still felt like an outsider to the crew that had been together since the ship's launch. It wasn't the fault of anyone in particular. But there was a camaraderie amongst the bridge crew that she could never tap into. It was only the calming and steady presence of the Captain that helped her settle in, but as he relied on her more and more to take charge of the ship, Amy was starting to feel out of her depth again. He taught her to tread water, but now he wanted her to swim in the deep blue sea. And for a while, she was able to do more than stay afloat, even able to swim. But then reality came to smack her in the face.

It didn't help that the Captain was visibly burdened with the various issues that had seemed to strike the ship all at once. Vayyolet, Ashley, Gabriella, and now, Josie. Amy felt guilty. She was meant to aid the Captain in these matters but Amy felt lost in the subtleties. Her attempts to befriend Vayyolet fell flat. Ashley's injuries came out of the blue. Gabriella was distant. And Josie was down a road she couldn't follow. What was worse was the fact that Gabriella and Josie were her friends. She felt like she should have foreseen and managed these situations before they had spiralled out of control, but she was as blindsided by them as everyone else. And now they were the Captain's problem, and all Amy could do was sit and watch them unfold without her, just as she was watching the Shackleton out in dock.

The nagging feeling that she was a terrible First Officer had come back with a vengeance, and it caused Amy's stomach to tighten. She had let the Captain down, she had let the Endeavour down. She was trying her best, but her best wasn't enough. And for a brief, fleeting moment, she wished that the Endeavour and the Shackleton could exchange places. At least, if the Endeavour was in dock, she'd know how to fix it. She wouldn't be a bystander.
2 Likes
"Swings and Roundabouts"

Spoiler: Part 3aShow
Amy closed her eyes as she finished the latest batch of crew evaluations. Her eyes were burning from staring at a screen for so long. She gently massaged her eyelids with her thumbs, trying to rub away the letters and numbers she could see etched into her brain.

Who would have thought being a First Officer would require more paperwork than being a drydock manager? In any case, she had finally finished her stack for today. She opened her eyes and yawned, leaning back on her chair and stretching her arms up in the air as she glanced at the time. 22:54. She could grab about two hours of sleep before her shift started. Not ideal, but it could be worse.

Climbing up from her seat, she stumbled over to the bathroom, washing her face and staring at herself in the mirror. Was she getting wrinkles in her brow? She should stop frowning so much. She would also go and ask Kuris for her skin cream, it seemed to work wonders for the little Trill lady. Amy reached up and undid her hair, letting it fall along her shoulders as she turned to leave. She froze at the door. Turning back around slowly, she inched closer to the mirror.

Was that a strand of white hair?

She combed her scalp looking for the elusive silver strand that she had thought she had spotted. It had disappeared. Or maybe it wasn't even there in the first place. Amy decided that it was the tiredness making her see things and opted (and prayed), it was the latter. With a final scan, she settled the matter, deciding it was her eyesight and that her hair was the dark brown colour she knew well. As she made her way to the bed, she thought what it would look like dyed. Maybe blonde? Or she could dye it red, like Tasha's hair. It would be sensible though, not something outlandish and obvious.

Amy grabbed the covers, when she was interrupted by her combadge beep.

"Stai scherzando?" Amy muttered staring at the combadge as if it was an explosive. She hoped if she didn't pick it up, it would go away. It didn't. With great reluctance, she pressed it and assumed her most diplomatic voice. It only half came into fruition. "Commander Samaras,"

"Amy... I hope I'm not disturbing?" Molly's voice came from the other side.

"No, Molly, you're not," Amy lied.

"Great, because we've got a problem,"

Of course they do. She mentally placed a bet on it being Gabriella related. And then she rescinded her mental bet, because she really needed to stop betting, imaginary or not. "I'm assuming it's a big problem if you're not dealing with it Molly?" Amy hoped it was a small problem so that she didn't have to leave her room.

"Amy, if it was a small problem, I wouldn't be disturbing you. We had an issue in one of our hydroponics labs. A plant had a sudden growth spurt and in less than an hour, it had worked it's way through two decks and is now currently making its way along deck 10,"

Amy blinked. "Can we beam it to a secure location? Like off the ship?"

"No. We can't. It's entangled itself into the ship's systems. We have to be careful otherwise we'd be pulling the ship apart. It's like a leech,"

"Okay, so seal the sections it's invaded, and we'll get a team on it. Is it still growing?"

"It is still growing, but it seems to be working it's way along deck 10 at the moment,"

"Okay, yeah, so seal it off, stop it from moving in the first in... ah..." Amy shook her head as the realisation hit her.

"You now see the problem,"

"I now see why you didn't go to the Captain, yes,"

"If that delegation is spooked in any way, we're looking at a potential war," Molly stated.

"Yes, thank you for reminding me. Get an emergency team there. Call all the department heads. And evacuate any section the plant has colonised. Is there any structural damage?"

"No, the plant's been rather clever in how it's moved. It's been working along Jefferies tubes and corridors. It's just going to be a pain to get this out,"

"Where are you?"

"Hydro Bay 1,"

"I'm on my way,"

Amy closed her eyes and looked longingly at her bed. She could just sleep through this.

But then again, the Endeavour was mediating a diplomatic meeting between two hostile groups. And both of them were paranoid. It took weeks for the Captain to convince the groups that the Endeavour was a safe meeting place. Everything was planned so that the Endeavour would not be doing anything during the five hours they were due to meet. If any of the parties felt even three degrees colder, the wars would continue and the Endeavour would be viewed as a hostile party.

Amy was not going to let some stupid overgrown flower ruin any potential peace. It had already ruined her sleep. That's as much as it was going to get.

Throwing on her uniform, slipping her boots on, and clipping her combadge on, she strode out of the room, tying her hair up.

She returned seconds later.

"Coffee, black, hot," she ordered from the replicator and then marched out, drink in hand.
2 Likes
"Swings and Roundabouts"

Spoiler: Part 3bShow
"Well... crap," Amy muttered, her hands on her hips. Standing in the hydroponics lab, she saw a large brown stem, three meters thick, rising out from one of the bays. The stem arched its way to the ceiling, where it snaked towards the nearest air duct and had disappeared into it.

"We trapped it in Section 32 with forcefields, but it just grew another tendril to bypass the forcefield and is still continuing down Deck 10," Molly said.

Amy turned to face Molly. "Where is it heading?"

"I don't know, it just seemed to be growing down that deck,"

Amy shook her head. "No... it's targeting something. And I think it's the peace conference,"

Molly looked at Amy. "You think it's trying to sabotage a peace conference? A plant?"

"I know it sounds stupid..."

"It sounds paranoid,"

Amy opened and closed her mouth. "Well..." she shrugged. "Maybe I am... it doesn't matter right now anyway. We need to try to get the plant to stop growing. Is there anything we can give to stop the growth?"

"Not that we know of," came a voice behind the pair, coming from a Bolian officer. "This is a new species, I was investigating it before this happened,"

Amy's eyes narrowed. "Where were you when it began to grow?"

The Bolian squirmed. "I went to take some plant cultures to Lab 18. I didn't think the plant would grow like this,"

Amy's mouth quivered slightly. "We'll talk about lab procedure later. So you have nothing that could stop the growth?"

"No, ma'am," the Bolian replied quietly.

Amy bit her lip in thought. "How about Narbinybose? My fiancé uses it to control plant growth. Perhaps it'll work here?"

"I don't know if it will, this plant has a very different biology to what I've seen to others,"

"I don't think we have the luxury of hypotheticals now, Lieutenant," Molly said. "Load up the Narbinybose,"

"Commander, injecting the plant with a chemical could damage it, possibly even kill it. With all due respect, I wouldn't go shooting up your animals with unknown chemicals, I would like you to show the same respect to my plants,"

Amy looked at the Bolian. Inside her, a fire of stress, tiredness, and the feeling of failure was burning and sending up a red smoke, which had begun to perforate into Amy's brain. The Bolian was standing between her and failure. She had never wanted to be that First Officer. The one that everyone feared. The outsider who came to whisper poison into the Captain's ears and force her ways onto a harmonised ship. She wanted to be a part of the crew, a part of the family. She wanted the crew to run as smoothly as the parts of the ship they were in. She was not angry at the Bolian for making mistakes. She was angry at the Bolian for standing in her way.

She stepped forward, her voice lacking the softness that was almost always present. "Commander Faraday's animals do not run loose on my ship and put my crew's life in danger. Inject the plant Lieutenant. I'm not going to say it again," Amy's inner demons wanted the Bolian to defy her. Amy's inner angels wanted to apologise. The three of them held their breath for the response.

Molly, meanwhile, decided to not correct Amy on that fact that her animals had, and do, run loose on her ship.

The Bolian looked ready to argue. Amy's demons cracked their knuckles. The Bolian must have heard them, because moments later, he sighed and pulled out a hypo. "Yes ma'am,"

Amy turned to look back at the plant, avoiding Molly's eyes. She'd broken through the bad First Officer barrier, and now she had to maintain appearances. Looking at Molly would send her demons scurrying back into their bolt hole.

The Bolian loaded up the hypo and approached the plant. "Sorry for this," he muttered before he injected the plant. There was no change. The Bolian then dropped to the floor. Amy's inner demons ran. Molly approached the Bolian, her tricorder in hand.

"He's alive, just unconscious," Molly blinked several times, before looking up. "Amy, get out of here. The plant is secreting a chemical, it's going to..." Molly blinked several more times before she collapsed to the floor. Amy's body moved on instinct. The next thing she realised, she was calling an emergency medical beam out for the two science officers, and calling for the room to be sealed.

"Samaras to Dix, we have a biohazard in the form of the plant, I need the areas around it sealed completely and contained. It's secreting a chemical that's knocking our people unconscious. Don't move to bioalert status. Just contain it silently,"

"Understood Commander," Kuris' voice came back.

"We need to keep the chemical from spreading to Deck 10 and disrupting the treaty. Can you seal off that room?"

There was a pause. "No Commander... The plant must have knocked something as it travelled, I'm not able to control anything on Deck 10 from here. Someone has to go and manually deploy those fields,"

Amy was already sprinting towards the turbolift. "Keep the crew safe Kuris. I'm on it. Samaras out,"

Exiting the lift on Deck 10, she ran towards the conference room. As she turned the corner, she ran into Gabriella. "Briella, grazie dio," She had never been more relieved to see the MACO. Ever. Gabriella was in her dress uniform, a rifle slung over her shoulder. Her normally braided hair was tied up, making her look very professional.

"¡Oi, idioma!" Brie replied, and then looked at the Amy. "¿Que pasa, Amelia?"

"We have a situation. No time to explain, but the delegates may be in danger,"

Brie frowned. "Crap... what do you need me to do? Shall I tell the Captain?"

"I can't risk it. When you return inside the room, I want you to seal the entrance with a forcefield. There's a biological chemical that's spreading in this deck, I'm going to try to contain it as best I can,"

Brie nodded. "Understood Commander. Good luck,"

Amy couldn't help but smile. In almost an instant, Brie had transformed from her usual self to a model MACO officer, following orders and asking no questions. It was as if there was someone else inside her body. "You too. Keep those talks going," Amy said, and she continued to run down the corridor, past the room with security guards placed. A strange smell came from the door, making Amy's nose crinkle. "Get your respirators on," she ordered them as she ran past. "And not because the delegates stink," he added, silently. She hoped that security would be as good as following orders as Brie was. They had been the ones complaining the most when the delegation arrived. She couldn't wait for the "I told you so," that was coming from Sejanus.

Amy's run came to a halt as she saw the first unconscious body. Another three followed. At the other end of the corridor, a tendril of the plant was racing towards her. It wasn't long until she had deployed the forcefield around it. Then she noticed something. She saw the tendril advance towards the forcefield before hitting it. It continued to grow for a brief moment before it stopped. Then, moments later, it then began to withdraw back along the way it came, until it came to a junction. A junction that would have bypassed the forcefield, if Amy hadn't put the field up. It was when the tendril kept on withdrawing without even so much as a break in the growth that Amy realised how the plant was moving.

"Samaras to Dix. Kuris, I need you to pump hydrobay 1 with the smell of the alien delegation. Get their patterns from the transporter. Now!"

"On it Commander,"

Amy was already running to the nearest turbolift.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Gabriella walked along the sloping streets away from Bolivar Square, mixed in with the throngs of tourists and history enthusiasts gathering around the square and the Capitolio Nacional. The Colombian sun was hot, and the thin air around the mountains the city was built around caused her to breath slightly more heavily, as she was not used to it. She wanted to walk, however, to help her grow accustomed to the change quicker. Her walk took her through the familiar paths around the city, and as she passed the tourist trap that was the square and the surrounding area, she knew she was close. Turning onto a side street, the bustle of people subsided. A dog wandered onto the streets, panting, following her a few steps before plopping itself down on the sidewalk and sunbathing. A lady was airing her clothes out on a rooftop. An old man sat at the front of a shop, smoking. He gave her a small nod as she passed.

Halfway down the path, Gabriella took another turn to a narrow street, that was similarly empty. A small embankment ran down one length, opening to a small dusty field. In the background, Monserrate loomed, providing a picturesque landscape. She looked at the mountain, before turning to the houses that run down the other side of the street. Approaching her a grated wire door, she pushed it and climbed the few steps to a stone floor, and turned to the door on the right-hand side, which opened at the touch of her hand.

Gabriella's house was small and modest. A platform ran the length of the top half, with a view of the open reception room below, which served as the kitchen, living room, and dining room. Under the platform, and adjacent to the reception room were three bedrooms and a bathroom. Sofia Álvarez stood in the corner kitchen, her back to the door. A stew was bubbling on the hob, and the smell wafted around the house. Gabriella watched as her mother chopped up some potatoes before sliding the entire lot into the pan.

"Hola, Mami," Brie said, her voice shaking to almost a whisper. Sofia heard it with clarity, and she turned, looking at Brie for a split second before breaking into a huge grin.

"¡Gabriella!" she exclaimed and bustled over to the stairs, wiping her hands on her apron. The woman was tall and thin, her greying hair tied back in a bun. Her eyes were bright amber, just like Gabriella's, as was her gentle bronzed completion, the only flaw in the shape of three diagonal scars on her neck. Gabriella met her halfway, dropping her bags at the door, and embraced her in a tight hug. "Oh, mija," Sofia cooed. "¿Cómo estás?"

Gabriella's response came in the form of a sob, uncontrollable tears running down the length of her face, buried in her mother's shoulder.

Sofia understood.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Spoiler: Part 7Show
The next morning, the two conversed over breakfast.

"What are you planning to do then mija?" Sofia asked.

Gabriella shrugged, leaning back on the sofa and looking at the light coming from the early morning Colombian sun filter in through the frosted windows. "Can I come to work with you?"

Sofia smiled, gathering the empty plates and taking them to the sink, and beginning to wash them. "You're not four anymore, Gabriella,"

Brie returned the smile. "I know... I don't know, maybe I'll go out, see old friends,"

"You should go up Monserrate. Take the Pilgrimage trail and pray at the shire of El Señor Caido." Brie hesitated, and Sofia turned around. "If you want," she smiled lightly. "You used to love the walk as a young girl,"

"I'll see, mami,"

~

The walk up the mountain was refreshing. The fresh morning air was crisp, beginning to be heated up by the sun. Already, pilgrims and tourists were making their way up the mountain, though most opted to use the transporter system or the cable cars. It was only the fit and devout who walked, and Brie had joined their ranks. As she climbed, her thoughts wandered back to a more peaceful time. She recalled the spot where she had once tripped as a young girl and cut her leg. Her mother abandoned her pilgrimage and carried her back down the hill, no questions asked. Brie had always felt bad about that; she knew her mother looked forward to her weekly hikes up the mountain to pray at the shrine. But her mother never complained once.

She saw the fallen tree log that she would often try to balance across, walking up the trail. It was still there. She remembered how she wasn't able to make it across at first without slipping. She would hold her mother back for minutes and minutes, trying to cross it. Her mother, often pressed for time, wouldn't complain once. She would stand and encourage the young Gabriella to cross the log. She remembered how pleased her mother was when she had managed to cross it fully the first time. Brie lived for those moments. Those moments that made her mother proud of her. All the achievements she ever got were worthless compared to her mother's smile and hug when she found out. No matter what the achievement was, from passing an elementary test, to coming first in her bout in Judo, to graduating West Point. Every single achievement, no matter how small or inconsequential, her mother celebrated, and every single achievement Brie cherished because of that fact. Her mother sacrificed her life for her. She wanted to repay her in every single way possible. For Gabriella, her mother came before all else.

Her thoughts took her all the way up the mountain, and by this time, the sun was in full force. The mountain opened up to and Brie found herself staring at the monastery at the top of the hill. She smiled as her mind pictured a younger version of herself collapsing in tiredness on the steps. This place was so familiar to her, but those memories seemed almost a lifetime ago. It was a different Gabriella there, a Gabriella untainted by the life she had chosen to lead. Climbing up those steps, she looked into the church, and wondered if she wanted to even pray. She wasn't the praying type. She didn't like the vulnerability of trusting her thoughts to the Lord. Why waste your time praying for change, when you could spend that time working towards change instead?

"Gabriella... is that you?" Brie heard a voice calling her as she lingered on the threshold. Emerging from the darkness of the church, a young, weathered man came out, wearing worn outdoor gear. "¡Hala!, it is!" he said, bumbling out and coming face to face with Brie. It took a moment for her to recognise the man; he had shoulder-length hair, slicked back. His prominent nose jutted out from his angular face, which was lined with coarse stubble.

"Raúl?" Brie said, almost confused before she smiled widely. The two embraced briefly, and Raúl held her at arms length.

"You haven't changed one bit Chica," he said, his smile genuine and soft.

"You gained weight," Brie replied, slyly, and the pair chuckled.

"You really haven't changed," Raúl laughed. "It's been years; what are you up to now? Still in Starfleet? Working with... what are they... MACOs?"

Brie nodded. "Si, I am," she replied, and she felt the usual pride she took from that fact blossoming inside her.

"You don't change at all," he repeated. "I remember the day you left; everyone in the neighbourhood was so proud of you. My papa used to chastise me; 'Look at young Gabriella, going out and doing stuff in the world. When will you do something useful?' he used to say," Raúl smiled sadly. "He was always a slave driver. May he rest in peace,"

That took Brie by surprise. "Wait, Tío Javier passed? Oh no Raúl, I'm so sorry... when?"

Raúl patted Brie on the shoulder. "It was three months ago. He was getting old and sick, so we expected it. He's buried on the mountain, you know,"

"I thought he didn't believe in this stuff,"

"He didn't, but towards the end he did. I think he just wanted to make sense of his life,"

Brie nodded. "I'm sorry Raúl, I didn't know,"

"It's okay," he smiled. "But look at you... back in Bogotá. When did you arrive?"

"I only arrived back yesterday... oh please don't tell anyone, you know they'll make a fuss,"

"They're all going to find out sooner or later, and then you'll be in trouble,"

Brie shook her head. "I know, but I wanted to go visit everyone myself,"

Raúl laughed, as he led her away from the door and took a seat on one of the steps, reaching for his back pocket and putting on a baseball hat to shield his head from the sun. "That's an impossible job, Gabriella; you're bound to offend someone,"

Brie sat alongside him and smiled. "I'm MACO, Raúl. Impossible is nothing,"

"MACO never had to deal with Colombian families," Raúl replied, chuckling.

"Ay I'll get it done, don't you worry... what about you though? What have you been doing... apart from eating that is!" she poked his stomach.

"Oh, I work here now; I'm a gardener here. Making sure this place is always beautiful,"

Brie looked around. "You clearly don't do a good enough job," she teased.

Raúl was slightly taken aback. "You think?"

"Oh, Raúl, ¡eres un idiota! I was teasing,"

Raúl paused and shook his head, his smile returning. "You really haven't changed at all, Gabriella,"

Brie smiled outwardly, but as she looked over the hills and back down to the city that she grew up in, she knew he was wrong. She had changed. This unchanging city was home to a young Latin girl. It was not the same young woman who was looking over it today.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Spoiler: Part 8Show
Gabriella's head rested in her mother's lap, as the two of them watched a film on the screen. Sofia was idly brushing her daughter's dark brown hair, her eyes fixated on the screen. Gabriella's eyes were also fixated on the screen, but her mind was running laps of the city. It had been a busy few days. Raúl was correct; MACOs did not have to deal with Colombian families. She had tried to visit everyone discretely, so as not to arouse suspicion, but this had failed at the third house. As Gabriella retired home for lunch, she was ambushed by neighbours, coming to say hi to their golden girl. From then, it was a whirlwind of invites and gatherings. Here was her invitation to a Fiesta de Quince, there was her invitation to a lavish garden party. She had even got Senora Díaz' offering the hand of her already married son. And those were just the daytime gatherings. Old friends and companions invited her to parties and dance halls daily, and Gabriella could never say no to a night out.

So Gabriella attended these celebrations as best as she could, but it was slowly getting to her. Her mother had stepped in today, taking a day off, and spending the day with her own little girl. Gabriella appreciated the intervention as much as she appreciated having some time with her mother, who she had really come to see. But sitting curled up on the sofa just seemed to give her brain a licence to roam, and roam it did.

The more time she spent in the city, she was made aware of how much time had changed its inhabitants. The city itself was the same; same buildings, same streets, same skyline. But the people were not the same. The quince she had been invited to was that of Maria Torrez. Fifteen years ago, Gabriella had been the one who had to take Senora Torrez to the hospital and stand by her as she gave birth. Gabriella had been eleven at the time. And now, she was celebrating the symbolic transition of the girl to a woman, the girl she had once held in her arms.

Senora Díaz had been Gabriella's tutor when she was younger. A famed Colombian poet, she had taught Gabriella how to read and write. But a few years ago, after being treated for Alzheimer's, she had displayed symptoms of Edmonton's Syndrome, an advanced form of Alzheimer's discovered in 2213 by Uthbart Edmonton. Though most of the symptoms could be managed, the memory loss couldn't, and Senora Torrez's once perfect memory steadily degenerated. Her son not only had been married, but he had also been killed during the Iconian War.

Those had not been the only changes. People who she had once known, had gone; passed away, or moved away. New faces walked down the street outside her house. Children she didn't even recognise played on the dusty, sunbaked field that she used to play on. Time had changed everything. Gabriella nestled in her mother's lap a bit further. Even Sofia had changed. Her face was beginning to show signs of age, her hair laced with strands of grey. Gabriella only knew her mother as an athletic lady, but even she could see the minute signs of age slowing her down and changing her posture.

All this scared her. She had come home to refresh and regroup, but she found that Colombia was just as scary as the Endeavour. Gabriella did not like change. Change broke through the status quo. Change took away her ability to keep on top of things. And life had changed drastically in the past year. Falling in love with Diego was just one factor. She tried to keep her feelings under control, tried to keep her exterior solid. But it was affecting her life, and it was affecting her job. She had never been content with being "excellent", she always strived to be better than she was. That's what made her a good MACO; the ability to constantly improve, even when there seemed to be no way of improvement. But her social life had forced her to hit a plateau and for Brie, that was mediocrity. A MACO who can't improve is not a MACO at all.

And then, she had faced almost certain death on the Forest Planet. MACOs weren't afraid of death, and neither was Gabriella. Her loss of control was what scared her. They had only survived out of blind luck. Gabriella accepted death as part of life. But she could not accept that she had no control over it. That they would not have died fighting, or died because of a mistake, or died after failing to complete an objective in time. They would have died without a way to overturn the outcome. She could not accept that. She could not accept the fact that there was nothing they could have done, even if that action would have been too late. It was not just a no-win scenario; even the Kobayashi Maru gave you the option of how to fail, even if the outcome was always failure. Here, they had no option. That scared her.

"Mami?"

"¿Si, Gabriella?"

"God knows all, right?"

"Si,"

"So he knows when people will die? There's nothing that can change that, correct?"

"Si, Gabriella,"

Gabriella was quiet for a time. "What's the point of doing anything then, Mami? If God knows all, then he knows how our lives are going to go. Why bother struggling to make a decision, or to take any action?"

"Because God has given you free will, Gabriella. If God predetermined salvation and damnation, then what would be the point of creating free will? He would just throw sinners into the fire, and the righteous would be in Paradise from the start. That's not how God works. He is not evil. God gives you power to choose. It's the action of choosing that makes you who you are. Angels are perfect beings, and they cannot do any wrong because they can't choose. They follow God's commands directly. Humans aren't perfect beings Gabriella. By choosing, we are showing if we are open to God's grace. And it's that grace, if we are open to it, that we know will take us to heaven, no matter what. That has been predetermined. Whether or not you are open to that grace, is shown by your actions. God doesn't force you to accept his grace,"

"So you're saying that I have to try to do things that are accepting of God's grace, just so that I can go to heaven? Mami... you know... I'm not even sure I believe in that stuff,"

"I know princesa," Sofia smiled, placing her hand on Gabriella's chest, where her heart was. "But faith isn't something that you can force onto someone, mija, because otherwise, it's not faith. Not true faith. If you want to believe, you just need to open your heart, and have trust in God to guide you. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, because God will always steer you back towards his grace, if you accept him,"

"I can't just have blind faith in something I'm not sure even exists, Mami," she said, looking at the screen. "I can't trust anyone else with my life, or my soul,"

"Then don't, Gabriella. Trust in yourself. You are God's creation. He won't let you go astray," Sofia looked down at her, stroking her cheek affectionately. "Live your life, Gabriella. Don't try to live the life of anyone else. Not even mine," she said, with a small smile. "You are my beautiful girl. You'll know what's right for you. Don't treat God as a lock and chain on your soul, but treat him as your shield. When all else fails, just know that God is there for you,"

"And if I don't believe in God, mami?"

"God doesn't require your belief to look after you, Gabriella. Just believe in yourself. That's all you ever need to do,"

Gabriella said nothing for a while. "How do you believe in God, mami? Seriously, how do you put so much faith on something that you can't even prove?"

"I don't have all the answers for you, Gabriella. My journey in life has brought me here. My belief in God has brought me here. If religion had all the answers then everyone would believe in religion. If religion didn't have any answers, nobody would believe in it. My religion and belief have given me answers that I'm happy with, which is why I believe. Your own path, and your own belief will guide you to the answers you are looking for. If that is religion and God, then you'll be happy. If it's through other means, then you'll be happy. Whichever path you take, whatever answers you find, as long as you are happy, and I mean truly happy, is the path you should take and stay firm to. Be yourself, Gabriella. That's the only way you'll find the answers, and the only way you'll be happy,"

Gabriella closed her eyes, and memories projected themselves on the back of her eyelids. She wasn't satisfied with the answers. But she wasn't satisfied with not having answers. She figured she'd have to do has her mother said, and just trust in herself. That way, she could be satisfied.

"Te quiero, mama,"

"Te quiero, mija,"

Gabriella smiled. As long as she had her mother say those words to her, she knew that someone who cared was always there, whether or not God existed.
1 Like
"New Me, New You"

Spoiler: EpilogueShow
*3 hours after Gabriella returns from leave*
Gabriella's hand hovered over the keypad. It was shaking very slightly. She looked at the smooth metal door. Room 59. She took a deep breath and pushed the bell, knocking on the door for added measure.

"Diego? Soy yo, Gabriella," she said lightly.

The door opened and Brie looked up at Diego. Her mouth twitched unbidden, her stomach knotted up, and her heart flexed. "Gabriella!" Diego said, surprised. "You're... back! When?" he asked, his brows tilting in confusion. His hair was damp, possibly from a shower, and his T-Shirt's neck was cut low, revealing the top of his chest. His arms were bare, revealing his slightly toned masculine muscles which were a result of basic academy training and a slim diet. His jaws were covered in light stubble; a result of a few days of not shaving.

Gabriella felt her cheeks flush a little, and suddenly she couldn't bear to look at him. She dropped her eyes down to her shoes, her hands retreating to a safe spot behind her back. "I just returned a few hours ago,"

Diego reached forward and grabbed Gabriella's shoulders gently. "It's good to see you again," he said, smiling lightly. "I was worried. We all were worried. And we missed you. How was home?"

Brie looked up at him. "It was good," she said. Her chest felt heavy, and where his hands touched her body, all she could feel were electric sparks shooting through her. Diego could feel it too, and he gently let go, stepping back.

"Would you like to... come in?" he asked.

Brie closed her eyes briefly, before opening them again. "Diego... I... let's..." she struggled to find the words. Inside her, the gatekeeper that always stood vigil by the gates of her heart and her emotions was ready to close the gate. "Estoy lista, Diego. No more games. I promise,"

Diego frowned again, tilting his head, trying to read her. "What do you mean?"

"I mean... us," she said, her voice almost a whisper. "I'm ready to take 'us' serious. If..." she blinked, suddenly in freefall. Did she make a mistake? Was he ready for this? Did he still want this? She had subjected him to months of 'are we, aren't we', months of confusing limbo as she struggled to decide that what she did on Valentine's Day was another kiss and run or if it was something more. The gatekeeper began to push the gate shuts on their well-oiled hinges.

Diego reached out to her again and took her hands in his. His touch seemed to freeze the gatekeeper in its tracks. "Are you sure? You don't have to do this. Not for my sake,"

Brie looked at Diego carefully. This was her last chance to back out. The gatekeeper was close to sealing the gates forever. "I... want this, Diego. I want us," she said finally.

Diego nodded simply. "Okay,"

And just like that, the weight on her chest melted away. As she looked at Diego, and smiled, the gatekeeper inside her disappeared. The gate had been left ajar.
2 Likes