AAR: Supernova Study - Nelaraan First Contact

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 95070
FILED BY:
CAPT K Se'Lai
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

MISSION: Assist task force with investigation into anomalous conditions recorded in studied supernova.

OUTCOME: Cause found determined but not yet actioned pending resolution of first contact situation with the Nelaraans.

KEY PERSONNEL:

CAPT Nimitz
CAPT Se'Lai
CAPT Timoreev
LCDR al-Firawn
LCDR Keliaya
LTJG Finney

NARRATIVE: We arrived on site at the supernova alongside the al-Haytham, Attar & Akagi. Following a situational briefing from LCDR al-Firawn a plan was quickly formed to utilize our numbers in the formation of a linked sensor network around the star's perimeter; separating our saucer section to further increase this number. Barring a minor incident which saw the saucer being inexplicably pulled towards the star by an unprecedented build up of gravimetric distortions (which was comfortably corrected for, albeit forcing a premature break of formation), the survey yielded detailed - albeit inconclusive - results. Following reintegration it was decided that the Valley Forge would move to investigate the source of an energy beam which was detected feeding into the star and theorized as being responsible for the anomalous readings, as this would allow the other vessels - more integral to the astrophysics study - to continue their analysis.

Upon arrival at the signal source we quickly identified an artificial orbital platform as being the cause of the energy feed and found ourselves in receipt of communications from the planet before able to study it further. This was an automated greeting, but upon stating our mission the system accepted our presence and guided us through their interplanetary transit lanes to a designated orbital position where we were then invited to transport to the surface. Having detected passive scans of the ship as we approached, I opted for a cautiously optimistic stance of allowing the scans, in turn taking the opportunity to gather all information we could from our own sensors. This data suggested a level of technology equatable to pre-Human First Contact Vulcans.

Arriving on the surface, our away team consisting of the task force CO's was greeted with open arms by a local Governor and a sizable crowd brandishing welcome banners which bore not only a translated welcome message naming the Valley Forge, but also my own likeness. This demonstrated not only the capacity to interpret datastreams of previously unencountered species as they identified not only the ship name but also myself as CO and presumed candidate to be beaming to the surface, but also a remarkable efficiency in preparedness given the brief window for such preparations to be processed and implemented as we approached the planet; a noteworthy commentary on the overall capacity of this species, worthy of due consideration when conducting further assessments.

This cordial greeting was reflected in the demeanor of the Governor who appeared overly eager that we were made to feel welcome; insisting that we be shown to a nearby facility which sounded akin to a tourism welcome centre. Our optimism tentatively bolstered by the positive reception; we obliged and were granted a partial tour of the city in the process. Most notable among observations here was the distinct colour coding of the population; quickly becoming apparent as more than mere racial diversity owing to the absolute consistency of role against colour. At the welcoming centre we were presented refreshments while the Governor proudly educated us on their use of cloning technology in development of what they unequivocally deemed a utopian society, proudly boasting that 'nobody had to work'. I saw I was not the only member of our team to see this as early cause for concern, given the implied lack of recognition for any level of equality when it came to the clones.Diplomatically framed queries and challenges to this cultural belief further bolstered our concerns as the Governor displayed signs of an almost dogmatic mentality.

Building on the rapidly growing air of friendship the Governor was feeling from our professionally courteous team, we moved to inquiring about the orbital platform interacting with the supernova. This resulted in an even prouder display from the Governor as he not only told us of it's nature as a weapon in development, but boasted happily as to how it would be used to assert their dominance over the entire sector. Sensing the immensely delicate situation we were in fact in at this point, I proceeded with an extremely censored diplomatic dialogue, quizzing the Governor about their intent and mentality. This was extremely challenging to uphold but ultimately prevailed as the Governor continued to be most forthcoming with his explanations. He revealed that their enigmatic leader known simply as 'Ace' (who has seemingly been in position for the entire history of the people) has driven their society on this line with a goal of emulating the success of the Federation by forcing their culture upon others they targeted, using this 'ultranova' weapon to force the matter where not openly welcomed.

His aversion to logical counterpoints regarding the application of their goal, and even their capacity to enforce it showed clear signs of indoctrination which made clear that we would not be able to press the discussion further with him. This was used to lever a continued approach of positive first contact as I convinced him to the benefit of a cultural exchange, in light of their reverence for the Federation, and so we reached agreement to share historical information (per standard open greeting protocol, tailored with a focused emphasis on the importance of member states retained freedoms), in exchange for detailed historical accounting's of the Nelaraan people (attached). Further to this, I believe my challenges were enough to at least assert a distinct difference in core belief that the Governor himself could not reconcile. This proved sufficient in convincing the Governor to process a request for us to meet directly with the Ace figurehead, though no timeframe was indicated beyond the clarity that it would not be imminent.

This alarming revelation about the Nelaraan people was tactfully contained by our team as we maintained a highly diplomatic stance which I spearheaded for want of not severing the openness we had obtained. To this end we were further invited to attend a public ceremony celebrating their 'Ace day' - a form of annual recognition for their clone workforce. I took the opportunity to first establish contact with the ship under the rouse of having the cultural exchange files prepared whilst subversively ordering a full tactical analysis of the weapon platform and the Nelaraan fleet (scans attached).

As monotonous as the ceremony was; individually honouring 1000 'Yellows' from what appeared to be a more industrial sector, it was equally enlightening as it led to further insight into this culture and it's relatively juvenile mentality towards lesser lifeforms; namely it's clones. This was made most apparent by the segregation of ~100 Yellows who - at the conclusion of the ceremony - were transferred into a shipping container of sorts for retirement. The Governor - proudly as ever - explained how the clones had a fixed lifespan and those being retired would be recycled as supplement pills that are used to nourish the clone workforce. As disturbing as such a revelation naturally came to our away team, the diplomatic posture was amicably maintained with my reinforcement that it is not our place to prematurely judge another culture by our own standards.

RECOMMENDATION: Provisional assessment indicates this as a culture where technological development has surpassed cultural; a like comparison would be placing red matter technology in the hands of pre-warp Human society during the height of the Eugenics war, or of pre Great Awakening Vulcan society. This is a recognized high threat, not simply for the Hobus level of interplanetary weapon that is in development here, but the cultural immaturity of the people brandishing it. Coupled with the dogmatic philosophy demonstrated I can not over emphasize the need for carefully calculated action.

The al-Haytham has been tasked to remain on station outside the Nelaraan system to monitor the situation, awaiting the presence of a suitably prepared representative who can take the requested meeting with the Nelaraan leader - Ace. Though I hold no desire to see diplomatic efforts fail in containing this situation, I believe that the threat level here warrants preparedness for more decisive action, such preparedness may warrant more intrusive intelligence gathering, at Command discretion. Given what we learned about how the Nelaraan society is almost entirely reliant on it's clone workforce to function; that presents the most tactically viable means to counter any aggressive efforts on their behalf with minimal conflict, and so my recommendation would conclude with any followup efforts - diplomatic or otherwise - focused on learning about this side of their society and identifying any exploitable weakness to subvert their dangerous intent.

ATTACHMENTS:

//Supernova.scn//
//Star System_Nelaraan.ast//
//Cultural database_Federation History.dat//
//Nelaraan Histortical Archive.doc//
//Ultranova Weapons Platform.scn//
//Nelaraan Fleet Analysis.scn//

OOC: This is from the Valley Forge episode: "Ace Up Your Sleeve". If I've unintentionally misrepresented your character's actions, misspelled their names, got their rank incorrect, et cetera, please send me a PM over enjin and I'll make the necessary edits. For those so interested, the full capture of this story including chat logs is available at the ST:TTV season 3 episodic here - episode 313.
6 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 95072.5
FILED BY:
LCDR S. al Firawn
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

MISSION: Assist task force with investigation into anomalous conditions recorded in studied supernova.

OUTCOME: Cause found determined but not yet actioned pending resolution of first contact situation with the Nelaraans.

NARRATIVE: Following on from Captain Se'Lai's report, I wish to submit the following scientific report about the status of the supernova registered as SN2417 J2587-7518.

A summary of the situation that led to the original mission: On Stardate 94102.8, a science team led by myself, completed a report of the star J2587-7518 as it went supernova. Our calculations had placed such a supernova lasting 528.2 days before beginning to degrade. However, we noticed that the supernova had begun to degrade after only 327.12 days. Our own scans could reveal nothing, hence our request for a task force to help.

Upon arrival, Captain Timoreev suggested that we create a sensor net to analyse the star. Using the Akagi as our sensor hub (given that she was able to draw on all her systems to sustain the net whilst all other ships were limited to only using scientific sensors), the optimal formation was convened. Once in position, our scans yielded the following information:

The supernova was being excited by an external force, with this force creating a central gravitational point and causing the mass of the original star to expand and contract. This expansion and contraction expelled a lot of energy, which was collected around the supernova with the gravitational point as the centre, creating a power "sphere" around the supernova. This capture was not perfect; small bouts of energy was expelled from the sphere causing energy tides which is what affected the Valley Forge's saucer section causing it to break from the sphere.

RECOMMENDATION: My analysis of the supernova is that it is very dangerous. A usual supernova should be expelling energy at a steady rate. This build-up of energy around SN2417 J2587-7518 is turning it to a ticking space bomb; when it releases, the damage could cause effects in areas up to three sectors away.

Whilst I concur with Captain Se'Lai's recommendation that diplomacy with the Nelaraans is vital, I do not believe that I am best placed to do this. I believe I am better suited to find ways of preventing the supernova from exploding, which is a time sensitive endeavour; though the Nelaraans expected the star from exploding a year after the initial supernova, I believe that this could happen at any point in the coming weeks and months.

I would request that Command take steps to assign a Captain more suited to this matter than I have. Once again, I see no issue with Captain's Se'Lai's recommendation that an Intelligence representative would not be a poor option either.

In addition, I am attaching the data from our survey of the Nelara System, cross-referenced with relevant data from their historical databanks.

//ATTACHMENT//
SYSTEM_Nelara.dat
5 Likes
---- // SYSTEM NOTICE // ----

This report classification category has been downgraded from

LEVEL 3: Restricted

to

LEVEL 2: Confidential

REASON GIVEN
Accessibility

FILED BY
VADM Amiri, E.