Case File OMP-736549: The Abbot Assassination

BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95473.4
Security Level 2 - Confidential

zpglS1t.png
TO LCDR Nim, Vera
CC CMDR Kermit, James; LCDR Sakkhet
FROM LCDR H’ajah
SUBJ A SURPLUS OF BLADES: WHEREIN OUR HEROINE MAKES AN IMPORTANT DISCOVERY AND CONFRONTS A DIRE THREAT
4OB3P0J.png

THE BLADE DRIPPED WITH VISCOUS FUSCHIA BLOOD, GLINTING UNDER THE HARSH ARTIFICIAL LIGHT. THE DASTARDLY D'GHUST, DRUNK ON THE ADULATION OF HIS NEW FOLLOWERS, THRUST HIS WEAPON SKYWARD AND DECLARED BEFORE ALL THAT K'ATHON, THEIR LIEGE, WAS DEAD--AND THAT THE HOUSE OF MABH WAS NO MORE. INVOKING THE ANCIENT RITE OF SUCCESSION, D'GHUST LAID CLAIM TO K'ATHON'S BELONGINGS AND FOLLOWERS. IT WAS HIS MOMENT OF TRIUMPH. D'GHUST ASKED THE ASSEMBLED THRONG IF ANY DARED TO CHALLENGE HIS RIGHT TO LEAD.

THE ONE WHO STEPPED FORWARD WAS NOT A MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF MABH. IT WAS NOT A KLINGON AT ALL. THE CHALLENGER WAS ESHKA BELES, DAUGHTER OF ORDIS, HEROINE OF THE BATTLE OF DEEP SPACE 13. THOUGH SMALL OF STATURE AND FRAIL OF FRAME, THE LITTLE BETAZOID'S COURAGE WAS INDOMITABLE. WITH WEAPON DRAWN, SHE FACED DOWN THE WICKED D'GUST, FLUSH WITH NEWFOUND POWER AND SURROUNDED BY HIS NEW FOLLOWERS. NO DOUBT SHE WOULD HAVE DIED BRAVELY, IF SHE HAD FACED THEM ALONE. THERE WAS NO NEED.

ESHKA WAS JOINED BY TWO COMPANIONS AS BRAVE AND STALWART AS SHE: THE MYSTERIOUS CORAK GHEMOR, A CARDASSIAN GUL AND MOUNTAIN OF A MAN; AND I, H'AJAH, DAUGHTER OF SHAL, OF HOUSE CARGH IN EXILE, TELLER OF TALES, SINGER OF SONGS, HERALD OF HIDDEN TRUTHS. WE THREE STOOD AGAINST THE MULTITUDE, READY TO FIGHT FOR THE HONOR OF K'ATHON. YET EVEN HEROES SUCH AS WE COULD NOT HOPE TO PREVAIL AGAINST SUCH NUMBERS. OUR DOOM WAS ALL BUT CERTAIN.

=/\=

JUST AN HOUR BEFORE, I HAD BEEN BENDING A RECALCITRANT REPLICATOR TO MY WILL. RESPONDING TO A REQUEST FROM THE SECURITY DEPARTMENT, I WAS INVESTIGATING THE MEANS BY WHICH SOME ROGUE HAD SUBVERTED THE INTENDED FUNCTION OF THIS REPLICATOR. THE UNIT IN QUESTION WAS IN THE QUARTERS ASSIGNED TO THE ABBOT OF THE PILGRIMS OF THE RIVER OF TIME, WHO HAD FALLEN VICTIM TO AN ATTEMPT ON THIS LIFE. (PREVIOUSLY, THESE QUARTERS HAD BELONGED TO YOUR HUMBLE NARRATOR, BUT THEY WERE STOLEN AWAY BY TREACHERY. THAT IS A STORY FOR ANOTHER DAY, HOWEVER.) SOME MISCREANT HAD ERASED SEVERAL HOURS OF THIS REPLICATOR'S LOGS, AND HAD BYPASSED THE SECURITY LOCKOUT ROUTINES INSTALLED BY TAMPERING WITH THE TERMINAL'S ISOLINEAR CHIPS.

HOWEVER, THROUGH DILIGENT AND METICULOUS INVESTIGATION, I DISCOVERED THAT THE SABOTEUR HAD NEGLECTED TO PURGE THE REPLICATOR'S PATTERN BUFFER; SEVERAL RECENT PATTERNS WERE STILL RESIDENT IN THE BUFFER, REVEALING THE CRIMINAL'S ILL DEEDS. TWO BUFFERED PATTERNS ARE OF NOTE TO THE INVESTIGATION INTO THE ABBOT'S ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION: A POT OF VULCAN SPICE TEA LACED WITH SOME UNUSUAL CHEMICAL COMPOUND, AND A D'K TAHG DAGGER. NO DOUBT THESE PATTERNS, WHICH I SWIFTLY BACKED UP TO PORTABLE STORAGE, WILL BE OF SIGNIFICANT INTEREST TO THE ONGOING INVESTIGATION.

NO SOONER HAD I COMPLETED MY BACKUP THAN I HEARD THE TREAD OF HEAVY FEET OUTSIDE THE DOOR. WITH CAUTION AND TACT, I CONFRONTED THE INTERLOPER, ONLY TO DISCOVER THAT IT WAS THE ABBOT'S OWN HEAD OF SECURITY, K'ATHON. HEAVY WAS THIS OLD KLINGON'S BURDEN, FOR HE HAD FAILED TO UPHOLD HIS OATH TO PROTECT HIS CHARGE. TORN BETWEEN PITY AND CONTEMPT, I URGED THE FALLEN WARRIOR TO REDEEM HIMSELF BY HELPING THE INVESTIGATORS EXPOSE THE ASSASSIN. ALMOST AS IF SUMMONED BY INVOCATION, THEY REVEALED THEMSELVES.

THEY WERE THREE; KLINGONS OF THE MOST SHAMEFUL SORT. HONORLESS, COWARDLY AND VICIOUS, THEY ATTACKED AS A PACK OF WILD TARGS. WHILE I GRAPPLED WITH THE FIERCEST OF THE THREE, ANOTHER RESTRAINED K'ATHON, TOO OLD AND INFIRM TO PROTECT HIMSELF. THE THIRD, D'GHUST, DREW A D'K TAHG OF HIS OWN. NO CHALLENGE WAS ISSUED. NO DUEL DECLARED. WITHOUT A SHRED OF HONOR OR DECENCY, D'GHUST BURIED THE BLADE UP TO THE HILT IN HIS RIGHTFUL HOUSE LIEGE.

BLINDED BY RAGE, I SUBDUED MY ATTACKER, ASSISTED SOMEWHAT BY THE TIMELY ARRIVAL OF JAMES KERMIT, SON OF JACOB, AS WELL AS ESHKA AND CORAK. TOGETHER WE TURNED THE TIDE OF THE BATTLE, BUT IN THE CHAOS OF THE MELEE, D'GHUST WAS ABLE TO ESCAPE. ESHKA GAVE CHASE. I WENT TO K'ATHON'S SIDE AND SWORE TO HIM THAT I WOULD AVENGE THIS VILE CRIME. WITH CORAK IN TOW, I SET OUT TO JOIN ESHKA IN PURSUIT OF THE VILLAIN D'GHUST.

=/\=

WE THREE STOOD AGAINST THE MULTITUDE, READY TO FIGHT FOR THE HONOR OF K'ATHON. YET EVEN HEROES SUCH AS WE COULD NOT HOPE TO PREVAIL AGAINST SUCH NUMBERS. OUR DOOM WAS ALL BUT CERTAIN. WE HAD BUT ONE CHANCE OF SURVIVAL: TO SEVER D'GHUST FROM HIS WARRIORS, AS A HEAD IS HEWN FROM THE SHOULDERS. MY HANDS WERE EMPTY; I HAD NO WEAPON BUT MY WORDS. YET MY WORDS ARE SHARPER THAN ANY BLADE YET FORGED, AND SO I PUT THEM TO WORK.

BEFORE THE ASSEMBLED FORCES OF HOUSE MABH, I EXPOSED D'GHUST'S LIES, HONING MY ACCUSATION TO A POINT WHICH I COULD DRIVE STRAIGHT THROUGH HIS HEART. VIVIDLY DID I DESCRIBE THE LOW TREACHERY OF D'GHUST'S ATTACK ON K'ATHON; INCISIVELY DID I REFUTE HIS CRAVEN LIES. MY WORDS SHOOK THE COURAGE OF THE PRETENDER AND BROUGHT TEARS TO THE EYES OF HARDENED VETERANS OF COUNTLESS BATTLES. SO MOVED WERE THE ASSEMBLED WARRIORS THAT NOT A SINGLE ONE WOULD STAND BEHIND THEIR FALSE LIEGE. ALONE, ABANDONED, ASHAMED, D'GHUST RUSHED FORWARD IN A BLIND RAGE, INTENDING TO STRIKE YOUR HEROIC NARRATOR DOWN.

ESHKA SHOT HIM DOWN LIKE THE TARG HE WAS, SENDING HIM TUMBLING TO THE FLOOR. STILL HE DID NOT RELENT; RISING ONCE AGAIN, HE LOOKED AT ME WITH MURDER IN HIS EYES. CORAK LASHED OUT WITH A KICK THAT CAUGHT HIM UNDER THE CHIN AND PUT OUT THE FIRE BURNING IN HIS SOUL. D'GHUST FELL, AND THIS TIME HE DID NOT RISE.

=/\=

YOUR CASE IS SOLVED NOW. YOU ARE WELCOME. YOU MAY SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION IN THE FORM OF A RECOMMENDATION FOR ANY APPROPRIATE COMMENDATIONS WHICH MAY APPLY.

//SIGNED//
tuq cargh qaStaHvIS ghIm h'ajah, shal puqbe'
Lt. Cmdr. H'ajah, daughter of Shal, of House Cargh in exile
DevOps Mgr., Operations Dept., Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENTS//
rep28c13_backup.bfr
12 Likes
wrote:
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95473.4

zpglS1t.png
TO LTJG Valore
CC LCDR Sakkhet
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
SUBJ Re: Potential Smuggling
4OB3P0J.png

Interesting lead. If Sakkhet can spare you, by all means, run it down. I can assign two security officers to the away team.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
Chief of Security, Deep Space 13

BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95473.4

zpglS1t.png
TO LCDR Nim ,LTJG Valore
FROM LCDR Sakkhet
SUBJ Re: Potential Smuggling
4OB3P0J.png

Approved.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Sakkhet
Chief of Operations/Deep Space 13
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Nim
CC LCDR Sakkhet
FROM LTJG Valore
SUBJ Prat and Fal

Lieutenant Commander Nim,

I am returning from one of the stations I had suspected of smuggling. I can state that I have found no evidence of Cardassian smuggling attempts. The supplies were, in fact, exactly what they were supposed to be. Instead, I have uncovered more information regarding those involved with the attempted murder on the Abbot.

All storage of supplies was managed and funded by Prat and Fal. During my investigation into this, I have encountered an individual known as Cant who works for Ferengi authorities. He is also investigating Prat and Fal but for different reasons. With his assistance, I was able to acquire the following information.

Thirteen years ago, Prat and Fal organized a tontine with several prominent businessmen. Without going into the details the mechanics and technicalities of such a financial tool, it is essentially a fund that all investors pay a lump sum into and receive dividends over time for life. When an investor dies, all other investors begin to collect that share of dividends instead. The last one to survive receives all future payments until their death. The Ferengi official had come to the station investigating foul play into the manipulation of this particular tontine. Soon after the arrangement of the tontine, Prat and Fal disappeared and all of their accounts were liquidated.

A third investor of the tontine was apparently a shell, funneling their share into Prat and Fal, as they only recently returned from hiding to open their new company to assist in the Abbot's mission. However, the mission itself has no inherent profit for them. In fact, on the surface, it is very possible that they would lose money.

I believe I have developed a working theory. Prat and Fal signed up to assist the Abbot in financing supplies for their stasis because they too wished to be in stasis. Not to see whatever it is the Abbot's followers believe in, but long enough for fellow investors in the tontine to die. Most of the other Ferengi businessmen who had invested were younger than either Prat or Fal, and thus it would stand they would make the least amount of profit from the investment. However, should they wake up decades later from stasis with all other investors having perished, they would be left to cash in all dividends from the tontine and the criminal statute of limitations would have expired.

Commander Nim, I recommend that the bookkeeper Fal be brought in for interrogation. His brother, Prat, does all the talking and seems to control the situation. As such, I recommend that security acquire Fal when his brother Prat is not nearby. I speculate that it would be much easier to get information out of him that way. I also recommend that the Ferengi authority, Cant, be allowed to come to the station and observe any questioning that may occur regarding the Ferengi. He would be very pleased if the Federation were to extradite them when this investigation is over, but I will defer to you on what is best, sir. Given that their financial scheme relied upon the Abbot's success, it would seem to me that they may be willing to cooperate.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant S. Valore
Operations, Deep Space 13
//ATTACHMENT//ValoreNotes.txt
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Nim
CC LTJG Valore
FROM ENS Raincutter
SUBJ Second Scene
Lieutenant Nim,

Based upon my investigation of the second crime scene, it appears that the victim was killed in exactly the same way as the Abbot was, but in this case, there were a few differences. In all likelihood, the body was arranged for us to find- her assailant wishing us to believe she was attacked and killed in her bedroom, but the existence of a puddle of blood and blatant drag marks from the body back to the puddle of blood indicates the body was moved to the bedroom from the living quarters, where it seems obvious the attack took place.

Again, we found one of the exact Klingon blades that was used to stab the Abbot- I do not know if the same poison was used to try and silence her, as well, but at the same time, it might be good to test for that.

The assailant also saw fit to wipe the computer search and the replicator log just as what happened with the abbot- hopefully we can learn something, anything from it.

LTJG Valore did some searches of her own, and found us a name and a DNA sample that may be our attacker- it is unknown if he is still on the station, but it might be a very good idea to find and grab him before he decides to bolt the station.

I would perhaps recommend that the replicator programs be examined for any new data entered in the last few days prior to the attack on the Abbot, and by who- if all the weapons from the Klingons traveling with the Pilgrims were locked away by Security and accounted for, how hard would it be to simply order something through the replicator systems that would deliver a blade on demand? Not only would it explain where all these identical blades are coming from, but at the same time, it would give credence to why the system search and replicator logs were erased. If the two blades pulled from the victims could be examined, I would wager they are exactly the same blade.

//SIGNED// ENS K. Raincutter
Operations, Deep Space 13
//ATTACHMENT// KScene2notes.log
6 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95478.4
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Busy day. 2nd vctm found, Esker Trontall. So much 4 that lead. UnIDed blood smpl found; no match in SF officer DB, requesting transporter rcrds next. Mnwhl some Klngn goons stgd a coup, but Lt. J.G. Beles invtrvnd w/ some help from a trgr-hpy Crdssn and a vry loud Klngn.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • Get transporter rcrds
  • Intrvw Klngn trblmkrs

//ATTACHMENTS//
Arrest Report yrc72-f2g8-g279cr
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95478.4

zpglS1t.png
TO CAPT Caspius
CC CMDR Kermit, James; LCDR Sakkhet
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
SUBJ Request for Transporter Records
4OB3P0J.png

Captain, I am writing to request access to the transporter logs from the date of the Pilgrims' arrival on DS13. At the scene of Esker Trontall's murder, investigators found a blood sample not matching the victim's DNA. We've already run it through the SF officer database without a match; next I want to check it against the biometric data collected by the transporter to see if it belongs to any of our guests.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO LCDR Nim
CC CMDR Kermit, LCDR Sakkhet
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. Request for Transporter Records
4OB3P0J.png

Approval granted. If you require authorisation for other data pertinent to your investigation, continue to notify me. The safety of our guests is a high priority matter, and so we ought leave no stone unturned in a search for the person or persons responsible for the attack on the Abbot.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
Starbase Commander, Deep Space 13
2 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95479.3
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Aprvl gvn by Capt. Caspius to comb thru transporter rcrds. May take a few days. Flipped D'ghust. Dscrbd Card sldr close 2 Gul Reget who's handing out wpns. Agreed 2 wrk w/ imgry tech, shld have facial sim soon.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • ID crime scn 2 smpl
  • ID D'ghust's sldr friend
  • Deep bkgrnd chk on Gul Reget

//ATTACHMENTS//
Security Log: D'Ghust Interview
2 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 95484.4
FILED BY:
ENS F. Gordon
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

MISSION: Forensic Analysis of D'k Taqhs found at the following crime scenes: Deck 28, Section C, Deck 28, section E, and confiscated from suspect D'ghust.

OUTCOME: All three d'k taqhs are forgeries of House Mabh weaponry.

KEY PERSONNEL:
ENS F. Gordon (NPC)

NARRATIVE: The first weapon, collected Stardate 95454.1 and tagged Evidence Code OMP-736549-001, was a d'k taqh fitted with a House Mabh crest; moderate wear and tear, with Vulcan blood on the blade and part of the handle. No fingerprints found; no DNA fragments other than those belonging to the victim. On first scan, it appeared to match a d'k taqh already in Security possession, despite the fact said weapon had not been removed.

Followup scans have revealed notable differences. The weapon's blade was 1 mm thicker than standard House Mabh blades, the handle 3.5 mm longer and 2 mm narrower. Molecular scans showed signs of replication, rather than the smithed blades House Mabh favors.

The other two weapons, tagged Evidence Codes OMP-736549-006 and OMP-736549-010, were collected Stardate 95473.4, were also d'k taqhs with House Mabh crests. 006 was extracted from a Cardassian victim, with blood from same covering much of the handle and all of the blade; again no fingerprints or suspicious DNA fragments were found. 010 was confiscated from D'ghust, a warrior from House Mabh; with Klingon blood on the blade, and D'ghust's fingerprints on the handle.

Scans of these two weapons revealed them to be identical to the weapon tagged OMP-736549-001, and I do mean identical. Dimensions, placement of the crest, replicated materials, even the wear supposedly from sharpening the blade was identical in each. That last should be impossible; most Klingon warriors hand-sharpen their blades, which means the scoring from whetstones would differ depending on the force applied, the position of the stone vs the position of the blade, etc. So either an android sharpened all three blades, or the wear was faked and copied.

Placement of the House Crest differs between the tagged weapons and those in Security possession. The Crest is offset by about 2 mm toward the blade, and off-kilter by approx 1.5 degrees clockwise. This suggests that the crest position was guesstimated from memory of seeing an actual House Mabh d'k taqh, rather than based on a scan; which further suggests whoever did this didn't have access to the originals at the time they planned the murders.

Further, the replicator pattern retrieved on Stardate 95473.4 for a d'k taqh is a perfect match for these weapons. This proves that the weapon used to attack Vobok was replicated right there in his own quarters.

Based on all of these facts, I conclude the weapons were forgeries designed to implicate House Mabh in the attempted murder of Abbot Vobok and the murder of Esker Trontall.

RECOMMENDATION: We know where the first weapon came from. I find it unlikely the murderer took the time to replicate two more d'k taqhs right there in Vobok's quarters, so a renewed scan of replicator logs for Deck 28 is in order. Replicators that have gaps in their logs or which have been taken offline since Stardate 95454.1 should be considered priority points of interest and investigated as soon as possible.
5 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95490.2
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: DNA smpl IDed: Vuak Pringal, Card male/36.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • Sbmt warrant req for Pringal
  • Deep bkgrnd chk on Pringal
  • Cmpl lst of known assocs

//ATTACHMENTS//
Transporter Biometric Match Report
2 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95493
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Conducted mind meld today with Vobok, thanks to assistance from Lt. Valore. She didn't have training for it, but was willing to let me hijack her physiology to create a bridge past Vobok's defenses. Once inside, we found Vobok's ego obsessively re-examining the sequence of events leading to his attack. He wanted help finding the flaw in his reasoning, so we tagged along. There were several incidents of note:

• One memory involved Vobok's rescue from a failing stasis pod. Vobok noted that the exocomps supposed to keep them alive had "all failed", and that somebody other than 2/5 had suggested them. Valore recalled that the Ferengi brothers Fal and Prat were the source. Worth following up on.
  • Gul Reget served as recruiter for the cult and started clashing with Vobok over Pilgrims leaving. Seems he had some idea about founding a Cardassian colony in the distant future. Some information shared with me via anonymous tip suggests that Esker Trontall may have vouched for him at some crucial juncture. Trontall and Reget have a common link: Vuak Pringal, who was Trontall's student and Reget's aide de camp from their military days.
  • Shortly before the first attack, Trontall tried to warn Vobok of something. This fits with testimony from 2/5. It seems she was intimidated into silence by Pringal, however.
  • Vobok re-enacted the scene of his attack for us. He entered alone and replicated himself spice tea. After consuming the poisoned tea and feeling its effects, he was stabbed by an attacker already present in the room. Vobok seems sure now that this was Gul Reget, but the figure wasn't clear at first. Memory clarifying, or embellishing? Need solid proof. Why do the killers poison the victim and then stab them?

Having faced his fear and moved past it, Vobok awoke from his coma. Need to give medical some time to work, then going back for more info.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • Confirm w 2/5 that Prat+Fal responsible for exocomps
  • Interview Prat+Fal
  • Verify relationships between Reget, Trontall and Pringal
  • Arrest Reget+Pringal
  • Search suspects' quarters for evidence
4 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95512.2
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Reget and Pringal now in custody after a couple contentious arrests. Misinformation campaign launched by Reget running wild; need to shut it down ASAP.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • Purge blackmail materials from DS13 network
  • Discuss disclosure of evidence contradicting misinformation with Capt. Caspius
  • Decrypt Reget's PADD (w/ help from intel, Capt. Bahieh)
  • Interview Prat+Fal!
  • Interview Reget+Pringal, see if we can get them working against each other
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95512.2
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO CAPT Caspius
CC CMDR Kermit, James
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
SUBJ Pilgrim Misinformation and Crisis Interference
4OB3P0J.png

Captain, two matters to discuss:

Pilgrim Misinformation

Before his arrest, Lota Reget launched a misinformation campaign, apparently automated, which is blanketing our civilian network with false accusations that Abbot Vobok is responsible for the recent woes of the Pilgrims, up to and including his own attempted assassination. I have already requested assistance from Ops in purging the malware responsible for spreading this misinformation, but what is seen can't be unseen.

Security has been busy building its case against Reget and his lackey, Pringal for several weeks now, and this body of evidence could be decisive in helping Vobok clear his name. In particular, the recording of Reget's arrest would be eye-opening.

However, it might be argued later that the public release of this information will taint future jury pools in whichever civilian court jurisdiction applies; that we are, in effect, making our case in the press. This could, arguably, prejudice future jurors against the suspects and provide grounds for mistrials or for the case being thrown out entirely.

By the time the case goes to trial, whatever damage will be done to Vobok's reputation by our inaction will be done. We have a limited window in which to act with any hope of countering the misinformation, but doing so may sabotage our chances of putting these killers behind bars. Personally, I prefer to protect our chances of conviction; but as this is a political matter, I am referring the matter to you for consideration.

Crisis Interference

During the crisis instigated by Reget and Pringal taking DS13's primary computer core hostage, I encountered some interference from a visiting captain. I was in the process of negotiating with Reget when Capt. Bahieh, present for the exchange, took it upon herself to utilize the exceedingly liberal guest privileges we grant to 38th Fleet captains and arrange a site-to-site transport for an energy signature located in the computer core chamber, directly to Reget's location. This energy signature turned out to be a weapon, meaning one suspect was disarmed while another was armed simultaneously; but the Captain afterward disclosed that she believed it to be an explosive at the time she issued the command.

Needless to say, I did not welcome this interference into a crisis negotiation, and revoked Capt. Bahieh's guest authorization immediately thereafter. When the crisis was resolved, Bahieh did privately apologize to me. Credit where it's due, she put ego aside and seemed genuinely contrite. I am willing to consider this an egregious but one-time overreach of authority and let bygones be bygones. However, outside of a crisis context, I felt it best to leave the decision of whether to reinstate Capt. Bahieh's privileges to command. My recommendation would be to restore Bahieh's authorization, but to schedule a re-evaluation of the general guest rights grant we grant to visiting captains for the near future. I'm less concerned that a particular captain overstepped her bounds than that the bounds weren't firmly enforced by our electronic security policies in the first place.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95513.8
Security Level 1: Open
TO LCDR Nim
CC CMDR Kermit
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. Pilgrim Misinformation and Crisis Interference
4OB3P0J.png

With regard to the problem of Pilgrim Misinformation, the necessity of the law supersedes the possibility of any temporary distress caused to Abbot Vobok as a result of unsubstantiated allegations made against him. And, the proper course of the successful trial of Reget and Pringal will be the best way quickly and definitively to exonerate Vobok as the evidence comes to light during those proceedings. Moreover, as a Vulcan, Vobok will not be affected by the temporary damage to his 'reputation'--embarassment is, after all, an emotion--and he will doubtless arrive at his own logical conclusions, as I have done.

With regard to Captain Bahieh, you acted entirely properly and with an impressive degree of restraint, considering that you were well within your rights to detain the Captain for interfering in Security Department activity. I will contact the Captain and deal with the matter personally. No further action is necessary from you or your department.

Finally, know that I consider your handling of this affair very satisfactory.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
Starbase Commander, Deep Space 13
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95519.6
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO CAPT Nimitz, Alistair
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
SUBJ Pilgrim stasis pods
4OB3P0J.png

Captain Nimitz,

In the course of our inquiries into murder attempts amongst the population of Pilgrims you dumped on us, we've picked up some suggestions that the malfunction in their stasis pods which originally put them in jeopardy may have been the result of sabotage. My review of the initial reports indicates that it was your ship that picked up the Pilgrims and at least some of their pods; I'd be interested to know if your engineers gave them a thorough going-over since then.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
4 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95520.4
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Interviewed Prat and Fal. They've been under Reget's thumb a while, and Fal was responsible for writing the code responsible for Reget's misinformation campaign. Thought he was creating adware. After some arm-twisting he provided the contract that makes Reget the obscured majority partner in the brothers' firm. Came up dry here.

RECOMMENDATION:
No new leads worth pursuing.
4 Likes
S1pL98X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO LCDR Nim
CC N/A
FROM CAPT A.H. Nimitz
SUBJ Pilgrim stasis pods

Commander, having reviewed my Engineer's report, we did initially have issues trying to open the stasis pods that contained the Klingon members of the pilgrimage. However at the time the damage to their locks on the stasis pods were originally written off as due to lack of maintenance based on the evidence found inside the ship they were sleeping in. Abbot Vobok's pod had the same damage done as well.

//SIGNED//
Captain Alistair Nimitz
Commanding Officer/USS Pegasus
5 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95526
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Secured cooperation from Pringal. He'll testify in exchange for sentencing consideration. Got confirmation on sabotage of stasis pods. Reget's next.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • Bury Reget

//ATTACHMENTS//
Security Log: Vuak Pringal Interview
4 Likes

UPDATED:
Stardate 95528.8
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

ADDENDUM: Reget will plead guilty and assist efforts to recover his assets from falling into True Way hands in exchange for leniency in sentencing. He and Pringal will be going away for a long time. With no need to go to trial, prosecutorial evidence can be released to help clear Vobok's name earlier than expected.

RECOMMENDATION:
  • No further action required

//ATTACHMENTS//
Security Log: Lota Reget Interview
3 Likes

CASE CLOSED
5 Likes