USS Brahe Internal Communications

OOC: Since I just love writing memos so much, I'm going to begin consolidating them here.

BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO Brahe/ALL
FROM CAPT Sel, Zaliel
SUBJ Crew Rotations
Good Morning Brahe,
New crew rotations will begin on Stardate 96044.8. With them come some changes in the Senior Staff, in addition to some noteworthy additions.

First, we must say a heartfelt goodbye to Commander Mirra Yesleb. Mirra came aboard as my First Officer when I originally took command of the Brahe in 2409. Her dedication, loyalty, and service are unmatched in all of Starfleet. While sometimes unpopular for her quarter or shift assignments, Mirra always placed the safety and success of the Brahe and her crew first. Before she disembarks to take command of the USS Tibo, take a moment in your day to thank her for her service over these years. She will be sorely missed.

Taking the position of First Officer is Commander Tellara sh'Zarath who comes to us from the Deep Space 13 Science Department. Tellara has had an interesting career, serving on a variety of Starfleet ships and installations. Her passion for exploration and scientific discovery are evident and I am confident she will be a great fit for our crew.

Doctor Stose is the next Senior Officer to leave us. For the past three years, Doctor Stose has served us as our Chief Medical Officer and Counselor. Though sometimes called acerbic in his bedside manner, Doctor Stose has been a major asset to the Brahe, not only ensuring the health and well-being of our crew, but as an active contributor to our mission of scientific exploration. The good Doctor will be leaving us to teach at the Starfleet Academy Annex on Betazed. Conciliatory offerings to his future students can be sent to the Annex, C/O the Medical Administrator's office.

The new Chief Medical Officer will be Lieutenant Victor Castillo. Victor comes to us from Starfleet Medical, but his field experience is quite remarkable, leading one of the Trauma Teams aboard the USS Paracelsus. His experiences in this regard will hopefully be seldom-used; however, those same skills are applicable by understanding the importance and implementation of quarantine procedures--and area critical given the number of samples our teams collect during surveys.

Last, but certainly not least, I'd like to extend a welcome to Amset. For those not following the exciting world of robotics, Amset is an artificial intelligence built by defense contractor Zahir to learn skills and supplement Starfleet crews by performing learnable tasks. While Zahir maintains that Amset is not sentient, it should be noted that Amset is an Academy graduate and holds a commission of Ensign--this is not honorary, but an actual rank. Therefore, all crew members who may report to or be under the supervision of Amset are expected to follow Amset's lawful orders, as well as show the appropriate respect befitting any life form who would hold such a rank. In general, Amset is designed to learn new skills and study humanoid behavior, and is capable of some very impressive computational feats.

Please extend a warm welcome to our new crew members. An open reception will be held on Stardate 96049.1. Thank you for your time and attention.

I Have the Honor to be Your,
Captain Zaliel Sel
Commanding Officer, USS Brahe
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO <USS Brahe/All>
CC RADM. Konieczko, D.
FROM CAPT Sel, Z.
SUBJ Attention: Next Mission Parameters

Attention All Personnel,
The Security Level of this communique is Restricted. No officer or crew of the USS Brahe may discuss the nature of this letter outside this command chain. Disclosure of the information provided in this message will result in swift action, including Court Martial, with punishments up to and including loss of rank, commission, and incarceration.

All Senior Officers and Shift Leaders are required to review the contents of this correspondence with their teams at the beginning of each shift, in it’s entirety, each day until further notice—Including the part being read right now. No exceptions.

General Policy Changes
In preparation for our next mission, all personnel will hereby adhere to the following policy changes:
  • All personal use of subspace communication systems is now suspended
    • Hardship exceptions will be considered, with compulsory oversight and review of those communications required prior to the sending or receiving of those communications
      • Such reviews will only be conducted if a hardship request is granted
      • Otherwise incoming communiques will be held at DS13 and delivered at the conclusion of our mission
      • All outbound communication attempts not authorized by the Bridge will be denied, logged, and investigated
    • This policy extends to the use of any subspace communication system, regardless whether one is aboard ship
  • All transporters and shuttle craft are off-limits with the following exceptions
    • Abandon Ship is ordered
    • Unless otherwise ordered by Captain Sel directly

Regarding The Bolian Guest
  • Only the Senior Officers may disturb the Doctor
  • He will be accompanied by at least two Security Officers at any given time; if seen alone outside his quarters, all personnel are instructed to call Intruder Alert immediately
  • If addressing the gentleman, “Doctor” and “Sir” are appropriate; show him an Admiral’s respect
  • Any information learned about this individual or the role he will play in our assignment is Restricted and must be kept confidential in perpetuity
  • All personal recording devices of any kind must be surrendered to the Security Office no later then Stardate 96135.6; they will be returned at a later date

Embark/Disembark Policy Revisions
Anyone wishing to use DS13 facilities off-duty are required to adhere to the following until further notice
  • Submit to a detailed scan when entering or existing the ship
  • Must surrender any recording devices, including Starfleet issued devices (except combadges, which will be scanned for recent recordings)
  • Must inform Security where you intend go / where you have been / expected duration of absence
    • This information will be logged
    • Discrepancies will be investigated

Counter Espionage Procedure
If questioned by anyone outside this command chain regarding the Brahe’s current disposition, our mission, or our guest, all personnel are instructed to:
  • Respond with, “I do not know”
  • Change the subject
  • Politely excuse yourself if pressed
  • If pressed, report the incident to Brahe Security, who will notify DS13 Security if necessary

Additional information regarding this mission will be delivered on a Need to Know basis. Do not make assumptions. Do not gossip. Closely follow the orders of your superiors.

Failure to follow the policies stated in this memorandum will result in grave consequences.

On a personal note: I appreciate this may be a stressful time for us; locked away from friends and family, you may feel alone. Lean on each other, be mindful of your duties, and we’ll get through this together.

Captain Zaliel Sel
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO <USS Brahe/All>
FROM CAPT Sel, Z.
SUBJ Attention: Crew Offloading / Experiments

Attention All Personnel,
Combat drills will begin at 96152.3 ((2419-02-25 1400)) and run daily until all departments make at least 9.5/10 for efficiency and responsiveness.

Assignments for Science Officers are as Follows
  • Tactical/Security Secondaries are to report to Ensign Jefferson for applicable assignments.
  • Engineering Secondaries are to report to Chief Engineer Zolwink for Damage Control assignments.
  • First Aid / Triage Secondaries are to report to Doctor Castillo for outfitting and assignments.

Science Officers or Crew without Secondary jobs, please contact Commander Zarath or myself for assignment.

Laboratory One and the Deck 7 Observation Room are now assigned to Doctor Castillo as Triage Wards.

Subspace Communications Policy
The ban on the use of personnel subspace radio has been lifted. Please take time in your day to contact your families and inform them that all is well. A general reminder to consider the classification of information before sharing it.

Shore Leave
Shore Leave has NOT been reinstated.

Ship's Access
The previous ship's access posture has been rescinded. Officers and Crew may begin moving between ship and station as per standard protocol.

Captain Zaliel Sel
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO <Brahe/Ops>; <Brahe/Sci>
CC CAPT Sel, Z.
FROM CMDR Zarath, T.
SUBJ Requisitions Request

Greetings,

I would like to thank you for your efforts during our encounter with the Azedi wormhole anomalies, your skill and dedication led to our ship being at peak performance throughout the engagement, and in particular deflector control for maintaining deflector stability and function.

Once our field coil repairs are completed, I would like us to begin coordinating with DS13 and requisition equipment and rooms so that we may begin work on an enhanced version of Project Teleraptor. Ultimately as you will know, Teleraptor uses our deflector systems to generate precise graviton beams which can be used to close wormhole apertures as they are opening, or indeed the transmitted power source at the heart of Azedi vessels.

However, deflector systems are a fixed system, and ultimately while capable of generating an intense beam of gravitons, it's not their primary function. Meanwhile, most vessels are bristling with tractor beam emitters which are expressly intended to generate not just graviton beams, but also graviton fields, and they also have a fair degree of maneuverability leading to greater potential coverage. The downside to using tractor beams in this method is that the cooling systems are nowhere near as effective as those used with deflector systems, and the potential for overheating and burning out is significantly higher.

Your goal will be split into a number of phases.
  • Phase One is a concept to ensure tractor beams are capable of emitting such a directed beam of gravitons so that they are at least 80% effective per current deflector methods.
    • Consider this Phase One A, but the beam may be potentially needed in an offensive capability, so we'll need to ensure it can be used through a solid structure similar to Azedi hull materials. We may be able to requisition some from the damaged Azedi destroyer. This is secondary as this would only be used as a last resort, and deflector based Teleraptor has already been proven to work in this manner.
  • Phase Two will be to increase the thermal capacity of tractor beam systems in a way that can be easily applied to other fleet vessels and structures.
  • Phase Three will be to apply the concept upgrades in Phase One to a real use case, and attempt to emit a graviton field around a vessel in a hope to limit wormhole terminus from forming.
    • Phase Three A will be to run simulations to see if such a field (if successful) may also provide defense against the Azedi Vertyron beams. Please see Project Slethi

I trust in all of your abilities,

//SIGNED//
Commander Tellara sh'Zarath
Executive Officer, U.S.S. Brahe
//ATTACHMENT// DS13 Anti-Azedi Project Overview.sfp
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96172.6
Security Level 1 - Open

TO <USS Brahe/ALL>
FROM CAPT Zaliel Sel
SUBJ Staffing Change

Attention All Hands,
Effective immediately, Lieutenant Commander Thompson has been relieved of duty. All of Mister Thompson's direct reports will temporarily report to Commander sh'Zarath until a replacement can be found.

Captain Zaliel Sel
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96172.6
Security Level 1 - Open

TO <USS Brahe/ALL>
FROM CAPT Zaliel Sel
SUBJ Welcome Aboard!

Good Morning Brahe,
I have the sincere pleasure of introducing Chief Science Officer Lieutenant K’Nia who begins his duties Stardate 96198.2. K’Nia is uniquely qualified to run our science department, starting his career as an Enlisted Laboratory Technician before completing Officer Training later in his career. His breadth of experience makes him an excellent candidate to ensure the ongoing success of our mission.

Please take a moment to welcome the Lieutenant. Science officers will begin reporting as of the Stardate mentioned. Any outstanding issues being handled by Commander sh’Zarath will be handed off to Lieutenant K’Nia.

Captain Zaliel Sel
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96172.6
Security Level 1 - Open

TO <USS Brahe/ALL>
FROM LCDR Z, Tiahl
SUBJ Tactical Drilling

Greetings to all of you,

I am Lieutenant Commander Zani Tiahl, I'm the new Chief Tactical Officer aboard the ship, Captain Sel has given me leeway to perform tactical and weapon drills for the crew and further security and personal defense training. I will be hosting drills at least twice a week for the crew, it is optional for the most part but it is preferred that you given the current situation in the area and where the Brahe will be going. Small arms training as well as Hand to Hand will be available, if you have any further questions feel free to send me a message and we can discuss them. I look forward to working with you all.

//SIGNED//

Lieutenant Commander Zani Tiahl
Tactical Officer, U.S.S. Brahe
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO <Brahe/ALL>
FROM CAPT Sel, Z.
SUBJ Arthur Pendragon

Good Evening Brahe,
This letter is not about the Legendary King; rather, about a little boy whose future is in dire jeopardy. After barely surviving the crash of his ship, his mind was preserved by the Karro, until rescued by the Brahe.

His condition remains critical and he may never fully heal. Starfleet and civilian records show no next of kin, so for the time being we must be his family in the preservation of his life and champions of his recovery. It is a great task that will require each of us to make a reality.

Keep young Arthur in your thoughts.

Captain Zaliel Sel
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96326.4
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO <USS BRAHE/ALL>
FROM CAPT Sel, Zaliel
SUBJ Cadet Monroe

Good Morning Brahe,
As many of you are no doubt aware, Cadet Monroe died during our mission on RS-109 VI. Her death is a tragedy and great loss for our ship.

Lean on each other during this time and know that we’ll be taking some leave soon to help cope with this event. I also strongly encourage everyone to reach out to our medical team for counseling. Keep in mind that Deep Space 13 has an extensive staff of therapists and psychiatrists, as well. If you can’t get off-ship, holo-calls are great substitute to in-person counseling.

Details on a memorial service are forthcoming. Please keep an eye out for that information soon.

Captain Zaliel Sel
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96366.3
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO <USS BRAHE/ALL>
FROM CAPT Sel, Zaliel
SUBJ Captain sh’Zarath

Good Afternoon Brahe,
It is my duty to share some bittersweet news: our consummate Executive Officer has accepted a command position with the USS Cassini. Captain sh’Zarath will be leaving us effective 96374.9 when the Fleet Awards Ceremony begins.

I encourage each of you to find time to thank Captain sh’Zarath for her dedication and service to our ship. Though she was with us only a short time, her contributions are a meaningful part of our shared history.

Thank you, Captain. You will be greatly missed.

Captain Zaliel Sel
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96376.7
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO <USS BRAHE/ALL>
FROM CMDR O'Dara, Hannah | Acting Captain
SUBJ Assuming command of the Brahe

Good-day Brahe Crew,

As I'm sure many of you are now aware: following a request for leave of absence by Captain Zaliel Sel; I have assumed the role of acting captain aboard the USS Brahe effective immediately. I will hold this post until the captain's return on stardate 96395.4, just under one week from now.

For some of you, this will be a period of unease and uncertainty. There are many aboard the Brahe that wouldn't have had the chance to even learn my name before I was entrusted with this role as commanding officer, and all the responsibilities and expectations that come with it.

I would like to take this time to address some of the concerns that you no doubt have in the wake of Captain Sel's absence.

My duty, before all others, is to the USS Brahe and her 65 hands. During my time in command, I will be committed to giving my best performance to each and every person aboard this vessel, just as I expect the same in return. And while this time will be brief, and our mission unremarkable; I intend to see it through to the standard set by the Brahe, and her captain.

I do not take this honour lightly, may fate be with us on our journey.
Commander Hannah O'Dara
Acting Commanding Officer, USS Brahe
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96408.3
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO <USS BRAHE/ALL>
FROM CAPT Sel, Zaliel
SUBJ Waverider Naming

Good Evening Brahe,
Voting has concluded for the new Waverider name. Thank you to everyone who suggested names and took the time to vote. The new Waverider will be named Robin in honor of Cadet Robin Monroe. While I know many of us are still feeling the impact of her loss, we should take a moment to reflect on her courage and the friendly, quirky personality she brought to us everyday.

Our new Waverider continues the mission Robin can no longer: to explore the galaxy and expand the sum of sentient knowledge.

Captain Zaliel Sel
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96421.9
Security Level 1 - Open

zpglS1t.png
TO <USS BRAHE/ALL>
CC CMDR Cotte, A.
FROM CAPT Sel, Zaliel
SUBJ New Executive Officer

Good Evening Brahe,
It is my pleasure to announce that Commander Abraham Cotte of the USS Vangard will be transferring to the Brahe on 96428.1. Commander Cotte is a veteran of several major conflicts, including the Kingon and Iconian wars and the Hur'q Conflict. His experience is extensive and encompasses both tactical and scientific endeavors.

Let's all make the Commander feel welcome. A small reception will be announced at a later date.

Department leaders, please prepare operational readiness reports for the Commander's review.

Captain Zaliel Sel
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO <USS Brahe/Department Heads>
CC CAPT. Sel, Z.
FROM CMDR. Cotte, A.
SUBJ MEMORANDUM #0001-SD96430

Officers,

As of Stardate 96428.1 I, Abraham Cotte have taken up the mantle of executive officer of your fine vessel. To properly familiarize myself with the Brahe I will require detailed assessments of all department priorities, capabilities and resources.

From Commander Tiahl, I will require a full assessment of the tactical systems aboard this vessel and baseline assessments for personnel emergency combat readiness. While I understand the nature of this vessel is not combat oriented, I am familiar with this region of space that we operate in. We will not be caught off guard, or fail due to a lack of training.

From Commander Zolwink I require a full ship and system inspection. ALL systems must work and be beyond operational standards. There are also several engineering tickets I have submitted regarding my office, they are to be prioritized below the inspection but if you would stop by you will see what I'm referencing.

Lieutenant K'Nia will be required to deliver current, ongoing, and predicted experiments. Included should be the potential hazards associated with each experiment, the resources in use, and those that are needed to accomplish each experiment.

From the medical department, I understand Lieutenant Castillo is on a personal leave so his assistant department head will have to act in his stead. I will await a report on staffing, supply thresholds and triage training in the event of a crisis.

You may deliver these reports when completed.

//SIGNED//
Commander Abraham Cotte
Executive Officer
U.S.S. Brahe
38th Fleet 'Argo'
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Cotte, A.
CC CAPT. Sel, Z.
FROM LCDR Zolwink, W.
SUBJ RE: MEMORANDUM #0001-SD96430

Commander Cotte,
Here is the information you requested. Note that my engineering department conducts a daily walk-through of critical systems, in addition to automated diagnostics.

Fortunately, your request came after we completed our engine testing and evaluation period. Here is a non-technical summary of that effort:

Impulse Reactor Testing/Improvements - Abstract

Improved shielding for the Impulse Reactor designed to counteract the dampening field experienced during a previous mission should prevent future incidents. Further improvements to the Impulse Reactor provide a 17% increase in cold-to-hot startup time, thanks to a bank of shielded capacitors which were used to line the reactor room.

The new shielding will not prevent intrusion against Verteron-based weapons, for which no defense currently exists.

These changes do not affect impulse speed or performance.

Ongoing engineering projects include:
  • Evaluation of various polymer coatings to improve hull tolerance against weapons fire, subspace anomalies, and atmospheric flight
  • Effort to repair nano-stress marks in the ship's space frame caused by age and encounters
  • Evaluation of a new holo-emitter designed by Lieutenant Lovet (Science Department)
  • Break 99.00% power conversion levels

Spoiler: Brahe Internal EvaluationShow

EVALUATOR'S NAME: LCDR Wimini Zolwink
AUTHORITY: Chief Engineer, USS Brahe

VESSEL NAME:USS Brahe
VESSEL CLASS:Rhode Island
COMMANDING OFFICER:Commander Zaliel Sel
INSPECTION STARDATE:96431.3

PURPOSE AND CONTEXT OF INSPECTION
General Engineering Evaluation at the request of the new Executive Officer, CMDR Cotte, A.

CONCLUSION

USS Brahe systems are operating at or above design specifications.

OPERATIONAL STATUS

o -Bridge
o -Comm system
o -Internal comms
o -External comms
o -Emergency comm freq
o -Helm
o -Engineering readouts
o -Weapons station
o -Life support
o -Personnel
o -Engineering
o -Warp Core Containment - 100%
o -Plasma Conduits - 100%
o -Inertial Dampeners - 100%
o -Thermal Manifold Outlets - 100%
o -Medical
o -Staffing
o -Supplies
o -Cargo/Shuttles
o -Waverider Atmospheric Auxilary Craft Robin

DISCUSSION

Ultimately, the USS Brahe remains in excellent condition, despite numerous confrontations, both natural and adversarial. Certainly a credit to her Chief Engineer, whose impeccable attention to detail and careful stewardship has carried the Brahe's success despite several unfortunate staffing issues over the past ten years.

Inspection notes several resource-consuming processes currently running in the ship's computer due to scientific activities. As the Brahe's recent-ish posting to Aldebaran has increased the number of new discoveries which require greater computational time to study, it is this evaluator's option that the requisition and installation of an upgraded Z-Series main computer (Mk IV or better) would provide overall better response times. The Main Computer has languished as a priority over the last several years due to the rather doldrum nature of its assignment in Ponor Sector.

LENGTH OF INSPECTION: 3 hrs
END OF EVALUATION

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Wimini Zolwink
Chief Engineer, USS Brahe
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Cotte, A.
CC CAPT. Sel, Z.
FROM LCDR Z Tihal
SUBJ RE: MEMORANDUM #0001-SD96430

Commander Cotte,

I will start with personnel readiness as I've begun to already host exercises for the crew

Spoiler: RatingsShow
PersonnelHand UnitsRiflesHand-toHand
LT. K'NiaRated EfficientRated ExcellentFurther Course Required for Assessment
LT. SalekRated EfficientRated EfficientFurther Course Required for Assessment
CAPT. SelRated EfficientRated AdequateFurther Course Required for Assessment
LT DiaRated EfficientRated AdequateFurther Course Required for Assessment
CDT Monroe (KIA)Rated AdequateRated OverkillNo Further test to be administered

As you can see by the above stated, outside my security team which I can assure you are all 100% up to date with Starfleet Training and Tactics and we perform drills weekly to ensure we are ready for any and all threats that would harm the ship. The Captain has asked me to also host volunteer testing as you've seen above so if you ever wish to attend please come to me and we will setup a course for you based on your previous qualifications.

Brahe Tactical System Status as of Stardate 96433.8

WeaponEfficiencyNotes
11 Type XIII Phaser Arrays97.2%Targeting Alignment required for Lateral Array
3 Mark VI Torpedo Launchers (2 Forward, 1 Aft)98.6%Torpedo Systems Online and well within requirements
Shield StatusShields Online and at peak efficiency

As for the Final note, Combat Readiness of Emergency personnel. Scientists and Engineers have and are being trained with basic first aid and weapons courses to ensure the safety of this vessel. Making sure that we are not caught off guard by anything, if you've any further questions Commander please contact me and we can arrange a meeting.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Zani Tihal
Chief Tactical Officer USS Brahe
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open
[/color]

TO <Brahe/ALL>
CC CMDR Cotte, A.; LT. Castillo, V.
FROM CAPT Sel, Z.
SUBJ 2419 Mandatory Annual Physicals & Psych Evaluations

Attention All Hands,
Medical and Psychological Evaluations are due by 96507.8 ((2419-07-08)). Please make arrangements with the ship's medical team to schedule your individual evaluations. To ensure compliance (and to avoid a repeat of last year's attempted mass-exodus from the ship), leave and recreational station access will not be granted until the requestor's dossier is appropriately updated (with the exception of Doctor Castillo himself, who will use the station's medical personnel).

In the event of an urgent need for leave, the requestor's position in the queue may be escalated.

Anyone caught out of bounds without a completed evaluation will be required to report to Commander Cotte for disciplinary action.

Best Regards,
Captain Zaliel Sel
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO ENS Kellye, CRW Arlek, CRW Morris
CC --
FROM LT Castillo
SUBJ Evaluations

All,

If you made it past the Captain's email to this one then you already know what's coming. Slots have already started to fill up so I'm adjusting schedules accordingly. The good news is that, as the medical team, we're going to be the first to qualify for shore leave. The bad news is that 87% of the crew needs updated physical and psychological evals and we're never going to leave the ship again.

The only way out is through. Check your schedules for updates, please.

//SIGNED//
LT Castillo
CMO/USS Brahe
//ATTACHMENT// UPDATED.SCH
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LT Castillo
CC CRW Arlek, CRW Morris
FROM ENS Kellye
SUBJ RE: Evaluations

Doctor Castillo,
Who is going to be responsible for catching Wimini this year? The Jeffries Tubes make me claustrophobic.

//SIGNED//
ENS Michael Kellye
Nurse, USS Brahe
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png

TO ENS Kellye
CC CRW Arlek, CRW Morris
FROM LT Castillo
SUBJ RE: Evaluations

Kellye:

Don't worry. I have a plan, and if you pick up the extra shifts for the next couple of weeks without complaining, it doesn't involve you or the assistants in any way.

//SIGNED//
LT Castillo
CMO/USS Brahe
1 Like