BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO <DS13/Security>; <DS13/Command>
CC <38th/Command>
FROM LT Valore, S.
SUBJ Emergency: Suspicious Package
AKas0II.png

ALLCON,

A suspicious unmarked package has been delivered to Rear Admiral Konieczko's office. Due to the possibility of a bomb or toxin within, I have had the office cleared of all personnel.

The package was there when I arrived.

I request a response team to deal with this and ascertain the danger.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant S. Valore
Administrative Yeoman
Office of Rear Admiral Konieczko

OOC: Quae is the DM for this. This email is dated relatively around Alpha-4
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LT Valore, S.
CC <DS13/Security>; <DS13/Command>; <38th/Command>
FROM CMDR Austin, Maxwell S.
SUBJ RE: Emergency: Suspicious Package
AKas0II.png

Lieutenant,
Thank you for reporting this. We are taking necessary steps to investigate this matter. Until Security arrives, ensure that no one attempts to enter.

Do not attempt to enter the office yourself for any reason.

Your staff and the Admiral himself are welcome to use my office until yours has been deemed safe to enter.

//SIGNED//
Commander Maxwell S. Austin
Executive Officer, Deep Space 13
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96305

zpglS1t.png
TO <DS13/Command>; <38th/Command>
CC <DS13/Security>; LT Valore, Sera
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
SUBJ Re: Emergency: Suspicious Package
4OB3P0J.png

Everybody can stand down alerts. EOD and Hazmat teams have secured the site and safely disposed of the package. After confirming with high resolution sensors that no dangerous substances were present, and prior to disintegrating the "suspicious" package, its contents were visually inspected and documented as stuffed animal bearing an illegible note, wrapped in packing material. Our scan results will be provided to anyone who wants to study the matter after the fact.

In the future, we should make a point of training administrative personnel, particularly those working in high-security areas, to employ common sense and use a tricorder before calling in a bomb threat. As far as any of my people can tell, there was no reason to think that this package was a threat. If just a little discretion and forethought had been used, that little stuffed bear might still be with us.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
Chief of Security, Deep Space 13
9 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Nim, Vera
SUBJ RE: Emergency: Suspicious Package
AKas0II.png

Commander,
While I support your message to the Admiral’s Yeoman, let’s keep in mind that a fleet admiral is a prime target for assassination. Our operating theater had a number of hostile states—including a Federation world currently in a state of civil unrest over Federation membership. A bomb designed to go off when subjected to tricorder scan is certainly conceivable, and there is no harm using an abundance of caution in this situation.

“Better safe than sorry,” is an old Human expression I find fitting in this case.

Given the intrusion into the Admirals quarters in conjunction with this recent event (assuming they are connected), we may be looking at a stalker. Let’s act accordingly and begin careful monitoring of the Admiral’s movements. Ensure a dedicated security team is on standby to intervene.

//SIGNED//
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO RADM Konieczko, D.
CC --
FROM LT Valore, S.
SUBJ Suggestions
AKas0II.png

Dmitri,

With all due respect, sir - I would like to bring up the idea of sentry turrets again.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant S. Valore
Administrative Yeoman
Office of Rear Admiral Konieczko
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96305.7

zpglS1t.png
TO CMDR Austin, Maxwell
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
4OB3P0J.png

You're wrong that there's no harm in frivolous bomb scares. Every time EOD and Hazmat teams deploy, they trust that they're being sent to deal with a legitimate threat to the safety and security of the station. They bring their absolute focus and extensive experience to bear for every call because they believe that there's a real possibility to death and destruction if they don't give 100%. Every unnecessary and alarmist call erodes that trust just a little.

"Better safe than sorry" is fine as an axiom but it needs to be tempered with common sense. There was no indication of either a bomb or toxin in the Admiral's office; to the best of my knowledge those possibilities were based solely on wild speculation. A simple, non-invasive scan would have ruled those possibilities out beyond all reasonable doubt.

The possibility that you gave of a bomb triggered by sensors boggles the mind. It would be triggered by passive security scans six times every hour. Should we live in fear that every flower pot or light fixture might be concealing an explosive that will detonate if we look directly at it? Should all physical objects be considered to exist in an uncertain state of bomb and not-bomb simultaneously? Should emergency response teams be deployed for every potentially dangerous situation, so that we will never be sorry later?

My teams will always come when called. They are staffed by professionals who do their utmost to never give less than their all. I maintain my position that other starbase personnel should grant them the basic respect of restraining their flights of fancy and calling for emergency response only when they have reasonable cause to think there is an emergency.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96305.7

zpglS1t.png
TO LCDR Nim, Vera
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Nim,
Your feedback is duly noted and appreciated. Now, let me lay down some truth for you: an unmarked package placed on an Admiral’s desk is damned peculiar; compounded by a recent break in suggests the possibility of malice. In this context, raising the alarm is extraordinarily prudent.

Further, an Admiral’s yeoman is not typically trained in bomb identification (thought perhaps, given the high value asset an Admiral demonstrates, there is value in such cross training). That the Yeoman called in the people with the training to accomplish the task was also right and prudent. It is not—repeat NOT—the responsibility of anyone on this station to determine if an object is a threat before calling Security, should the caller have reason for concern.

Determining if an object is a threat is Security’s job.

You suggest that an errant call diminishes trust. True, the “Boy Who Cried Wolf” does just that. But, to my knowledge, this is the first such incident since my coming to the station. Ultimately, this event is an opportunity to evaluate readiness and for improvement. That builds trust and professionalism.

Repeated false alarms will be addressed on an individual basis.

A final recommendation: take your hyperbolic nonsense and stow it in waste disposal where it belongs. Your service record says you’re better than that, so act your rank. Consider this a warning to maintain a respectful tone when addressing a superior.

I would be happy to continue a constructive discussion, should you have other points you would like addressed.

//SIGNED//
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96305.9

zpglS1t.png
TO CMDR Austin, Maxwell
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
4OB3P0J.png

Thank you for laying down that truth, sir. I will endeavor to maintain a respectful tone in all future correspondence, sir. Perhaps it would be prudent to start performing hourly manual security sweeps of all offices and living spaces of critical senior officers, such as yourself. While this would be a nuisance to the senior officers and require a significant commitment of security personnel, ensuring the constant safety of our most precious officers must overrule any practicality concerns, I'm sure you'll agree. I have no doubt that this will further build trust and professionalism, sir.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96305.9

zpglS1t.png
TO LCDR Nim, Vera
FROM CMDR Austin, Maxwell
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Nim,
Sounds like an interesting idea. Why don’t you setup a meeting with myself, the CO, and the JAG so we can review your proposal regarding such sweeps. I’m sure such a meeting will be quite lively and would not reflect badly on you in the slightest.

Then again, maybe your suggestion was hyperbole? And I believe I told you to stow that in Waste Management where it belonged. Since the hyperbole seems to be escaping, I think it makes sense for you to stand the next three watches in WM just to make sure it stays put.

//SIGNED//
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96306

zpglS1t.png
TO CMDR Austin, Maxwell
FROM LCDR Nim, Vera
4OB3P0J.png

Yes, sir. A meeting about security sweeps seems like an excellent way to improve the security of this station, sir. I have dispatched invitations to the parties you suggested, but I will be unable to attend due to a conflicting obligation in Waste Management. I hope you will convey my proposal to the rest of the attendees with the same seriousness and earnestness with which I delivered it to you.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Vera Nim
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96306

zpglS1t.png
TO LCDR Nim, Vera
FROM CMDR Austin, Maxwell
4OB3P0J.png

Commander,
Thank you for making those arrangements. It would be wholly improper to have such an important meeting regarding Security concerns without yourself. I’ll make sure to reschedule it for a period after your obligations in Waste Management are complete...in six days.

That will give you the opportunity to afford this matter the thought and attention it deserves. Maybe by then you’ll have some new ideas.

This conversation is now over. I’ll be looking out for your report from WM with interest.

//SIGNED//
3 Likes