A Price to be Paid

A Price to be Paid

Deck 10, Section 32, U.S.S. Shackleton, Stardate 96514.9:

Alyx Derenzis stood outside of Lieutenant Mondet's quarters, a PADD in hand. She lifted her left arm a short distance before wincing, then let it fall and used her right hand to touch the door chime.

A faint voice inside answered, "Come in."

Alyx stepped into the quarters. The quarters were standard size for a junior officer; a table, a few chairs, a bunk aside one wall. The table was littered with tools and some dismantled tricorders - part of some project that Mondet had started but not finished.

Mondet himself was on the bunk, looking up at the ceiling. He looked over to the door and his eyes widened as he saw Alyx. "Captain!" He attempted to get up - and winced.

"As you were, Lieutenant," Alyx said, holding up a hand. "... Do you mind if I sit down?"

Mondet nodded. Alyx looked around, grabbed the closest chair to her, and moved it beside the bunk. Once she sat down, she looked Mondet over. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore. They'd discharged me from Sickbay; told me I needed a few days rest to let the bones and tissues knit properly."

Alyx nodded. "But," she asked again, "how are you feeling?"

Mondet looked back up to the ceiling. "...Depressed," he answered finally. "Ashamed." His eyes flickered to the PADD Alyx held. "... Afraid."

Alyx caught the look. "I take it you know why I'm here today."

"After what happened? It's not hard to guess." Mondet paused. "How... bad was it, Captain?"

Alyx didn't speak for a few moments. "Starfleet is still compiling incident reports, but as far as we can determine, four starships, the starbase, and a few outlying outposts in the V774 Tau system were all adversely affected. By the end of the incident, there were an estimated 3,072 versions of... yourself... at these locations.

"By some miracle," Alyx went on, "there were no deaths as a result from the confusion. There were injuries, however." She held up her left arm for emphasis. "Some of your versions were... quite violent."

Mondet closed his eyes in pain. "This has all gone wrong. I... I never intended for this to happen."

"I believe you," Alyx said. "However... intent matters little on a failure this far-reaching. Starfleet Command - to say nothing of the Captains whom I consider friend and whose ships were affected by this - will want answers, as well as assurances this won't happen again." She added, "Commander T'Vrin has examined your device as well as your laboratory logs and notes; I have her report here." She tapped her PADD with one finger. "Is there anything beyond that she should be looking for?"

Mondet shook his head. "Everything I recorded should be there."

"Good. There is one more question I need answered before we can begin," Alyx said. She took a breath, and when she spoke again her voice hardened. "Why, Lieutenant? What was so important you'd conducted such a risky experiment without clearing it with either Commander T'Vrin, Commander Akaela, or myself? Are you still chasing that damned Daystrom Prize?"

"I..." Mondet opened his mouth, closed it. He was silent for a while. Finally he said, "I... wanted to see Monroe."

Alyx sat up. "Monroe? Not the cadet who was recently killed in action?"

Mondet nodded. "I'd already been sketching out the concept for the Mon- for the Quantum Interferometric Scanning Imager when I learned she'd died. Apart from Captain Sel, and yourself, she was maybe the only person who didn't look at me as if I was a container of hazardous waste." His expression darkened. "Yes, Captain, I hear what they say about me. 'Crazy Mondet', 'Mad Scientist Mondet,' 'What's Mondet blown up now?' Do you have any idea how much those hurt?"

Alyx paused for a moment before answering, her voice gone quiet. "Does that justify ignoring safety protocols? Commander T'Vrin's report was quite damning - she found no less than five checks you failed to perform that might have prevented Sunday's debacle."

Mondet worked his jaw, as though the words he wanted to say refused to come out. Finally, he looked away. "... No, sir," he said. "It doesn't justify it."

"I'm glad you see that... though I'm disappointed it took an incident like this for you to see that," Alyx said. "So: you build this imager, use it to find Monroe in another reality, confirm she's alive and well... and then what? You power it on again, and again, checking in on her until an incident like this happens? You must realize even if you'd avoided breaking the barriers between realites the first time, time and random chance would ultimately cause this to happen?"

Mondet said nothing.

Alyx sighed. "This is not the first time your experiments have endangered Starfleet personnel and equipment. Because those previous incidents were resolved without loss of life, and because I'd thought the negative experiences themselves would have served to teach you caution, I had been lenient with you. I see now that stronger measures are needed." She held up her PADD, keyed up the appropriate document, and began to read.

"Lieutenant Mondet,

"The pursuit of scientific knowledge generally entails risk, risk of failure at the very least, but at times risk to life and limb. While risk is the coin of Starfleet service, it is also the duty of Starfleet personnel to minimize that risk as much as possible. Based on the investigation into this incident, it is the judgement of this command that you have failed to perform your duty in this matter. This command thus finds your actions to constitute one count of Negligence.

"Therefore, you will be subject to the following disciplinary actions:

"First, effective immediately, you are confined to quarters for no less than ten days, and placed on administrative leave for an additional twenty days.

"Second, also effective immediately, you are reduced in rank to Ensign, and removed from your position as Chief Sensors Officer of the Shackleton. Upon completion of your administrative leave, you will report for duty as Gamma Shift Sensors Officer, and will remain in this position until further notice.

"Third, you are barred from all laboratory work for a period of no less than six months. You are required to retake the Academy courses on Starfleet Laboratory Safety Protocols and to pass said course with no less than a 95% grade before you will be permitted into any Starfleet laboratory as anything more than an observer.

"Fourth, you are required to write letters of apology to the following individuals: Commander Tala Akaela, Captain Beylara Ailes, Captain Alistair Nimitz, Captain Samuel Bishop, and Commander Mi'shune sh'Sonora. These letters should be written and transmitted to their intended recipients by no later than Stardate 96536.8.

"Fifth, you are hereby barred from any experimental research into dimensional phasing or quantum realities until such time as you have demonstrated sufficient responsibility to conduct such experiments in a safe manner."

Alyx lowered the PADD. "This letter of reprimand will be attached to your permanent record. Do you understand the disciplinary actions as stated?"

Mondet, who'd remained silent as the letter was read out, nodded slowly. "I-I understand," he croaked.

Alyx added, her voice softer, "Do you wish to contest these actions?"

Mondet is silent for several seconds. "No sir," he said finally, "I do not wish to contest them."

"Good," Alyx said, exhaling in relief. "If you'd pushed this to a court martial, based on the evidence, the best you could have hoped for was a dishonorable discharge." She signed the letter and entered her thumbprint. A beep from the PADD, and it was done. Alyx held out a hand. Mondet nodded, and reached up to his collar, plucking off the black pip from his rank insignia. He handed it over to Alyx without a word.

Alyx pocketed both her PADD and the pip. "Mondet, I... recommend... that you seek counselling over both your grief at Monroe's death, and your continued tendancy to take actions without considering their consequences fully. I won't make it an order, but I see that you need help." She reached out and put a hand on his shoulder. "Take it from someone who's had her own losses to overcome - it's the best way to get past this."

"Yes sir." Mondet said. "... Is there anything else?"

"No. That will be all." Alyx stood. "Get some rest, Ensign." She turned to leave.

Mondet spoke up, "Captain?"

Alyx stopped at the door, and looked back. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

Alyx paused for several seconds, then returned a small nod.

She left the room, the door closing behind her.
12 Likes