BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96597.2
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO CAPT S. Bishop
CC RDML E. Quint; CAPT A. Nimitz
FROM CAPT A. Derenzis
SUBJ Re: Doza Task Force
fioOIzQ.png

The Shackleton's refit is scheduled to be completed by Stardate 96659.2, accounting for possible overruns as well as for the shore leave rotations scheduled this month. This should include all static tests on the upgraded systems.

//SIGNED//
CAPT Alyx J. Derenzis
Commanding Officer / U.S.S. Shackleton
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO CAPT A. Derenzis
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ A Question about Fungus
ONKKwVo.png

Alyx,

What are the origins of the cordyceps fungus? Did it naturally occur on Doza-L605 I, or could it have been manufactured/developed by an external source? Finally, is it possible to be used as a bioweapon?

There's something that keeps bothering me about the fungus and the Xedi and I'd like to make sure I've covered all bases, for the sake of my sanity.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
Captain Samuel Alexander Bishop PhD
Commanding Officer - USS Endeavour
38th Fleet 'Argo'
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 96612.9

TO CAPT S. Bishop
CC
FROM CAPT A. Derenzis
SUBJ re: A Question about Fungus
fioOIzQ.png

Hello Sam,

I'm attaching the collective data and analyses from the away teams we sent to L Prime to provide details, but allow me to summarize them to answer your questions.

Our away teams to Doza L605 I didn't have much time to conduct their work before the situation in orbit deteriorated, however our preliminary findings point to the cordyceps fungus being a natural part of that planet's ecosystem. While CMDR Akaela's team investigated the Xedi installation, we had other teams conducting on-site analysis of the fungus and other species to determine if they were related. Genome analysis was pretty conclusive on that front; a 96% correlation between the cordyceps genome and other fungi species found, and a 87% correlation with other, randomly selected, species, both plant and animal. We're convinced the fungus evolved there.

We had also found a protohumanoid species which we believe is nonsapient (at least there was no sign of language or tool-making in the brief encounters), which also appears to be a suitable host for the cordyceps - this in turn explains why the fungus spreads so readily among humanoids elsewhere.

However, we're not convinced the ecosystem is native to Doza L605 I. Doza L605 is a young Type L Brown Dwarf, approximate age 9.2 MY, and still in its deuterium-burning phase. As you've probably realized, nine million years is nowhere near enough time for a planet to develop life in any form, much less the complex and diverse ecosystem we found. A third away team, sent to L-Prime's night side, found no evidence of life beyond some microfossils in ice. Their scans and the sole core sample they were able to take suggest that the microfossils started to appear about 500,000 years ago (error margin of +/- 10,000 years). Trapped gasses in said sample also suggest a dramatic atmosphere change at about that time, from an ammonia-heavy atmosphere to the nitrogen-oxygen mix the planet currently possesses.

The best-fit hypothesis to this data suggests that, approximately 500,000 years ago, someone came to Doza L605 and started to terraform the planet. The planet would not have had much of a lifetime ahead of it - in another million years, the brown dwarf will cease burning deuterium and L Prime will slowly freeze - but, for most civilizations, a million years might be plenty of time for a colony to grow, flourish, expand, and leave.

However, we found no evidence of habitation apart from the Xedi installation and a campsite that may have been left behind by others - possibly the nonhumanoid aliens who contracted and fell victim to the fungus some two years ago (the U.S.S. William Ockham first encountered the fungus on a ship near Isep Xedi belonging to said aliens.). No sign of cities or even signs that cities once resided there. I suspect that something must have gone wrong with the terraforming project, forcing the unknown civilization to abandon the attempt. My feeling is that the cordyceps fungus might be the reason for the abandonment - the ecosystem is too well developed to suggest a more fundamental failure like failing to stabilize climate or promote habitability. It is possible the fungus was once more benign, but underwent a mutation that made it the deadly organism it is today. All that said, however, the only evidence I have is the correlation between the fungus' rise and the planet's empty nature, and you know as well as I that correlation is not causation. If and when the political situation stabilizes, further studies of L-Prime might provide more concrete answers.

As to its potential use as a bioweapon; I think that is very likely indeed. Recall that neither Isep Xedi nor Parin have anything like the cordyceps fungus on their respective worlds; so whatever natural defenses against parasites and other infections the inhabitants possess might not be enough to protect them. We know from past experience that the fungus spreads rapidly once it gets a host, and that the fungus modifies the host's behavior to actively seek out social groupings, thus increasing the rate of spread. If someone was to release fungal spores into a populated area, it is likely enough of the population would be infected to seriously cripple the city for quite some time. Neither Isep Xedi nor Parin, in my estimation, possess sufficient technology to contain an outbreak if one occurs. Worse, the long-term effects might lead to widespread societal collapse. The fungus, as is, cannot be controlled by the Xedi, the Hidrun or the Posdri - and thus poses as much of a risk to the rebel movements as to the governments they seek to topple.

Keep in mind these are largely my considered opinion based on what we know of the fungus so far; I would recommend a detailed epidemiological study by Starfleet Medical to provide possible models for infection on these planets as well as Federation worlds, as well as potential containment options for the same. But in summation, if deployed, the fungus would be all too effective as a bioweapon, and would likely destroy even the people that deployed it. But then, most bioweapons in history have always been difficult to control.

//SIGNED//
CAPT Alyx J. Derenzis
Commanding Officer / U.S.S. Shackleton
//ATTACHMENT// DozaL605-awayteam-data.log
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Sakkhet
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ Probes around Isep Xedi
ONKKwVo.png

Commander,

Can I get a list of probes in the Doza Sector that are able to get detailed scans of the Isep Xedi system? In particular, I want to know if there are any probes close enough to get me a detailed scan of Isep Xedi III and her moons, without having to send a ship to do it. If probes require modifications to do so, please let me know, and I will get a team looking into it.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO AMB N. Perim
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ Diplomat Assignment request
ONKKwVo.png

Neema,

Is it possible to assign a diplomat to the Doza Taskforce in order to focus on opening and leading diplomatic efforts with the Xedi? I would like to begin talks with the Xedi rebels, and I believe an official request would be the best way forward.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
BH1Pd8X.png

TO CMDR C. Jarnefelt; LCDR T. Fozka
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ Cordyceps fungus countermeasures
ONKKwVo.png

Commanders,

Are you able to assemble a team to analyse all previous encounters of the Cordyceps fungus? I would like to know if there are any possibilities to weaponise this fungus, as well as any countermeasures we need to take. I am forwarding a message chain between myself and Captain Derenzis, who had previous contact with the fungus. We need to find a way to control and cure infection not only on Federation worlds, but on Isep Xedi and Parin.

This is a high priority mission; failure could result in the loss of many lives.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'

//ATTACHMENT//
samtoalyx.com
alyxtosam.com

BH1Pd8X.png
TO CAPT S. Bishop
CC CMDR C. Jarnefelt
FROM LCDR T. Fozka
SUBJ RE: Cordyceps fungus countermeasures
4OB3P0J.png

Captain,

I will assemble a team to work on this immediately.

Strength and Valour,

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Throk Fozka
Science Department Chief, Deep Space 13

OOC: Let me know if this interests anyone to take over and RP.
1 Like
Ss7aMQg.png

TO CAPT. Bishop
FROM Kalris
SUBJ Doza Task Force

Dear Captain Bishop

I have extended an invitation to Dinner, with Crown Prince Sovok'dru'Meladrin. Official this is going to be a dinner where issues of Trade and diplomacy will be brought up, but his also offers us the chance to pass off information to his government, using him as a chanel. No one would suspect that we would be giving him intel, only that the Domonion was trying to work out a trade contract. It will be our past route, to pass on what we have learned.

Is there anything, specifically you would like me to pass onto him, if you agree to go down this path?

//Signed//

Karlis
BH1Pd8X.png

TO Kalris
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ RE: Doza Task Force
ONKKwVo.png

Kalris,

As of yet, we know nothing about rebel factions on Parin. We have no information to offer. When we do, I will consider this as a channel to be used to disseminate information.

I wish you luck in your talks. Do not mention anything regarding the Xedi-Parin situation. If he offers anything of value, you may let me know, but you must not say anything.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes
wrote:
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Sakkhet
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ Probes around Isep Xedi
ONKKwVo.png

Commander,

Can I get a list of probes in the Doza Sector that are able to get detailed scans of the Isep Xedi system? In particular, I want to know if there are any probes close enough to get me a detailed scan of Isep Xedi III and her moons, without having to send a ship to do it. If probes require modifications to do so, please let me know, and I will get a team looking into it.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
BH1Pd8X.png

TO CAPT S. Bishop
FROM CMDR Sakkhet
SUBJ RE: Probes around Isep Xedi

See attached.

//SIGNED//
Commander Sakkhet
Acting First Officer/Deep Space 13
//ATTACHMENT// Probes.log
1 Like
ghHm3yn.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Bishop
CC Consul Bozgid
FROM Ambassador Perim

SUBJ RE: Diplomat Assignment Request
2Y2KlIn.png

Sam,

I've looked over the situation reports, and spoken with Admiral Quint regarding his guidance on the situation. Everything seems to be in order and I don't believe there are any particular new purely diplomatic avenues to explore that haven't already been attempted. I seem to recall having a very unproductive meeting with some of the rebels a few years ago, but admittedly their position seemed rather volatile and may have changed in the interim.

Consul Bozgid may be available to sit in on future meetings to assist with diplomatic overtures, though I must caution you that any official communication between the rebel faction and myself carries a risk of legitimization that may negatively impact the Federation's relationship with the Xedi government. Starfleet interactions do not necessarily carry the same connotations, so it may be wise to instead have a tactful Captain spearheading any attempts to contact them.

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador
4 Likes
ghHm3yn.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Bishop
CC Ambassador Perim
FROM Consul Bozgid

SUBJ RE: Diplomat Assignment Request
2Y2KlIn.png

Captain Bishop,

I agree with Ambassador Perim's worries about legitimization. I for one don't like the idea of sitting down with one faction of any government to the exclusion of any others, as it skirts dangerously close to internal interference. I'm willing to let Starfleet lead the way on this, but I will be available to sit on on any talks or meetings, at least for the FDC to have eyes and ears there, if not someone to put out any diplomatic fires.

//SIGNED//
Lev bim Bozgid
Federation Consul
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO Consul L. Bozgid
CC AMB N. Perim
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ RE: Diplomat Assignment request
ONKKwVo.png

Consul,

We will be reaching out to the Xedi government too; the rebels are more likely to reject us due to their demonisation of the Federation. See what you can do to secure talks with the rebels on behalf of Starfleet. If you are successful, we'll go in and hold talks with all parties to try to de-escalate the situation.

Regards,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO LCDR N. Sideris
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ Intelligencia Incident
ONKKwVo.png

Lieutenant Commader,

Good work on the Intelligensia intel. Can you find out about this ship? Specs, commanding officers, orders? In addition, I want you to pull the logs from the probe watching the rebel base, Long Range Probe D-732. Let's see if it intercepted any communications regarding the Intelligensia incident.

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO CAPT Bishop
CC --
FROM LCDR Sideris
SUBJ Xedi Analysis
4OB3P0J.png

Captain,

I've added the details I collected on the Intelligentsia to my report, but there are some more pressing matters that may warrant your attention. This situation is deteriorating pretty fast.

For what it's worth, I've checked the records and none of the missions on the books sent any strike teams anywhere near Poltofor II.

I'll add more as it comes in. Let me know if you want me to look for anything else specific.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Sideris
Intelligence/DS13
//ATTACHMENT// Update: Xedi Relay Monitoring
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO LCDR N. Sideris
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ RE: Xedi Analysis
ONKKwVo.png

Lieutenant Commander,

Agreed. There is some party out there that is attempting to frame the Federation; my guess is that this is the work of House K'trogar. Let's get intel teams looking into the actions of this House, ASAP, if we haven't got them already.

My other thought that it could be an element of the Xedi government, below the books as retaliation for the Intelligencia, but why would they want to frame the Federation? Keep on digging for information.

We're scrambling for time here, a peaceful solution is slipping from our fingers. We need to act fast to prevent more casualties.

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO Kalris
CC LCDR N. Sideris
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ URGENT: Intel Received
ONKKwVo.png

Kalris,

We've received intelligence that a cloaked ship with military-grade weapons is making it's way to Isep-Xedi. I have a suspicion that it is a Klingon vessel, and that catching them would help unravel some of this mystery. However, we are not sure of its route, nor the name of this vessel.

We'll be needing your assistance to hunt down and secure this vessel. You have permission to engage as necessary, but we need the ship, it's cargo, and her crew alive.

Let me know if you have any need for assistance,

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
1 Like
Ss7aMQg.png

TO CAPT. Bishop
FROM Kalris
SUBJ Doza Task Force

Dear Captain Bishop

You came to the right person. All Dominion warships are equipped with powerful, anti-proton based medium range scanners that will have no problem finding you wayward vessel. My contingent will depart at once, and we will space out, to make sure that any cloaked ships, will be detected.

While the wisdom, and its assigned attack ships screen, are more than capable, more ships, means that I will be able to form a tighter perimeter. Any ships you can spare will have a temporary anti-proton sensor pods installed on it, by my Jem'hadar, for use in this mission, and I will direct them, as part of this screening operations.

Otherwise, if you could please provide me with any evidence you do have about this ship, such as what intelligence gave you the tip-off, it would make my mission that much easier.

My ships will be departing within the hour, for the border of the Xedi space

//Signed//

Karlis
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR N. Sideris
CC ~~
FROM CAPT S. Bishop
SUBJ FW: RE: URGENT: Intel Received
ONKKwVo.png

See above. Share evidence as necessary, only regarding the ship. There is no need to give your sources.

//SIGNED//
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO Kalris
CC CAPT Bishop
FROM LCDR Sideris
SUBJ Re: Doza Task Force
4OB3P0J.png

Kalris,

I've been requested by my superiors to provide you with details on the ship you're seeking. Here is what we know:

1. The ship in question is a freighter, not a courier ship. The likely large bulk of this ship should make it easier for you to detect.
2. The ship is carrying military-grade weaponry. This may include volatile munitions. Plan accordingly.
3. The ship is en route to Isep Xedi. While we don't have its point of origin, I have analyzed likely routes from potential suppliers and provided search positions based on the timing of the messages and how long the communicating parties took to respond to each other.

This is all the information we have for you at this time. Happy hunting.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Sideris
Intelligence/DS13

//ATTACHMENT//Vessel Positional Data.map
2 Likes
Ss7aMQg.png

TO CAPT. Bishop
FROM Kalris
SUBJ Doza Task Force

Dear Captain Bishop

Eiten was able to successfully capture the smugglers but I'm afraid that is where the good news ends.

I have attached the report that was given to me about what we discovered, the news is disturbing, to say the least.

A member of the legitimate government seems to have struck a bargain with another great house, and they are supplying them with weapons. Military-grade weapons from all 4 major members of the alliance. The report I gave you about the legitmaent government standing no chance, may no longer be accurate.

If we do not find some way to end this conflict soon, it will spiral out of control

//Signed//

Karlis

XXX ATTACHED REPORT XXX
2 Likes