Captain's Log: USS Sutherland, Commander Dae

Captain's Log, Stardate: 89428.9 (Wednesday)

The USS Sutherland just got underway from Starbase ARGO with relief supplies
bound for Casperia Prime. The Embassy Wing Disaster, as my comms officer
has taken to calling it, has captivated much of the senior officers, save for
Lt Commander Cromwell, who is rarely concerned with anything except war.
Although borderline war mongering is irritating, it in no way hinders her duties as
Senior Tactical Officer.

As I understand it, Chief Coopage, of engineering, was good friends with a Bajoran
diplomat who was killed during the incident. Unrelated to any time we spend at
Casperia Prime, he has asked for leave to be with the family of his friend. I have
granted his request.

Before we make way to Casperia Prime, we will be stopping by K-7 Starbase to pick
up medical provisions as well as a civilian relief worker. The supplies from K-7 will
be added to the industrial replicators, weather control systems, and water purifiers
that we are currently transporting for delivery.

The Sutherland is not much of a cargo vessel, but our patrols through the Valesh
system have indicated there is minimal pirate activity there in the past few weeks.
So, lifting what minimal supplies we can is a welcomed chance for the crew to
contribute to the greater good.

We are also transporting Task Force ARGO's senior counselor, Lieutenant Katriel
Sedai who will also be assisting relieve efforts on Casperia Prme. Although we are
carrying multiple officers not assigned to the Sutherland to assist in the relief efforts,
I understand that Lieutenant Sedai is a fencer, a pass-time that I have experienced,
those less o in recent years. I'm interested in possibly getting the chance to spar a real
person again, as opposed to holograms.

I am Commander Dae. End Log.
1 Like
Captain's Log, Stardate: 89431.5 (Thursday)

The USS Sutherland is en-route to Casperia Prime, traveling through the Regulus
sector. At current velocity we should be arriving at Casperia in just over 8 hours.

While at K-7 I had the welcome surprise of meeting Ensign, now Lieutenant, Ovocai,
again. I was unaware that he was still working for Starfleet. When we parted ways
several years past, I understood that he was leaving Starfleet to pursue academic
endeavors on Ohis Prime. He is currently part of a small survey team doing work
in the Delaronia cluster. As I understand it, he has formed quite the serious
relationship with a female friend. That is definitely a change of pace from the
free-spirited Ensign who enjoyed multiple shore leave trips when we were on the
USS Yorktown together. It was good to see him, again.

Ship wise we are having issues with plasma vents on the port nacelle again. This
has been an issue for the past few weeks that Chief Coopage has struggled to
get his head around. These Hermes class starships have proven great at being
tactical vessels when conducting patrols in individual sectors. However, they are
not the Galaxy or Sovereign class vessel when it comes to long space travel.

1 Like
Captain's Log, Stardate: 89434.3 (Friday)

We arrived in the Casperia system early this morning. As helmsman, Lieutenant
Junior Grade Janico, had predicted a significant amount of starship traffic, most
associated with the relief effort, has hindered our ability to ferry all of the necessary
supplies to the surface.

We were able to beam down several key personnel, such as Ensign Horel the
structural surveyor, Galis Horns, the civilian relief coordinator we picked up at K-7,
Lieutenant Sedai our Argo Counselor, and Chief Coopage to start his leave.

Lieutenant T'Pire was also able to get one flight from Shuttle B through the traffic for
our first delivery. They are currently on the surface and I am looking forward to their
first had reports later tonight.

I, am staying on ship for the day to ensure the port nacelle repairs are completed on
time. I anticipate joining one of the shuttle teams tomorrow on a trip to the surface.

1 Like
Captain's Log, Stardate: 89436.8 (Saturday)

I toured the damaged areas of the Casperian embassy today. I was shocked by
the devastation. Sub-space reports didn't do it justice. Perhaps that was intentional
because the devastation was emotionally striking.

We were able to get all of the supplies to the planet. The Sutherland remains in
orbit, her small hold empty of its support cargo.

I met a relief worker named Josel Hatham, from Andoria. She was working to bring
the, as of current count, 391 Andorian casualties home to Andoria. She was quite
helpful in assisting me and a few bridge officers in our brief survey of the area, so
I volunteered the Sutherland to be of assistance.

I am still waiting to hear back from the Task Force Command on the issue, but I
anticipate they will approve my request and we have already started preparations
of the Sutherland's hold to carry the Andorian's home with the proper cultural
respect and dignity.

I still have accountability of a few of the personnel we transported here from Eta
Eridani sector. I will have to coordinate to ensure they have proper facilities before
we depart the system for Andoria. If all goes well, I hope to be underway in the
coming days.

1 Like
Captains Log, Stardate: 89439.8 (Sunday)

My team is finishing up all that we can do for the people of Casperia Prime. We have
received approval to transport the fallen Andorians home and anticipate leaving in
two days. We have 137 of the fallen loaded at this time. A shipment of proper
caskets is due in tomorrow from Andoria and we will be able to load the remainder
after that.

Although this assignment is not fun, by any means, it has given my crew a different
perspective on the galaxy, the frailty of life and how one being can assist another,
both before and after they are gone. Such lessons are not learned from books but
must be experienced. I'm humbled and honored that we were given the opportunity.

1 Like
Captains Log, Stardate: 89442.5 (Monday)

The last of our work is done on Casperia Prime, for now. We have in transport 348
of the 391 fallen Andorians from the tragedy. I intend to leave Casperia Prime
tomorrow morning for Andoria, once some final coordinations are complete.

Josel Hatham is accompanying us on our trip. Her presence is calming to the crew
who, though the respect the gesture and their role in helping the fallen, are a bit
uncomfortable with the idea of the using the Sutherland to transport the Andorian's
remains.

Once we are done on Andoria, our path remains less certain. Lt Commander
Cromwell has provided the senior staff with several reports about Klingon activity
in the Eta Eradani sector block. She's anxious to return the Sutherland to its
patrol routes. I'm not entirely inclined to disagree, either. The Sutherland isn't a
cargo ship and although we were able to provide a quick response to the incident
on Casperia Prime, large more capable cargo vessels have since taken up the
task and once this mission to Andoria is done, I'm not sure there is much more we
can do, aside from transporting personnel off the planet when the time comes.

1 Like
Captains Log, Stardate: 89445.2 (Tuesday)

The USS Sutherland is underway to Andoria. Its a short trip and we expect to arrive
tomorrow evening in the system. With our main efforts complete at Casperia, the
crew seems to me to be in a quiet and almost reflective time as we go about our
tasks. I know Ensign Latarola, of medical, was especially touched by the events,
as she volunteered at a make-shift medical services center on the planet. Actual
treatment of injured individuals took much less time than the identification of remains
process, which she spent the majority of her time doing. Dr Kriv has recommended
her for shore leave in the Sierra sector block when we arrive. I have approved his
request.

We are currently traveling without engineering Chief Coopage as I have extended his
leave on Casperia Prime.

Once we are done on Andoria, we will be returning to Casperia Prime to pick up
Lt Sedai and then it will be back to Task Force Argo.

As worthwhile as this mission as been, to include taking the fallen Andorians home,
I feel the crew is ready to return to our duties, taking the lessons they learned here
with them. They will all be a better officers and crew for it.

1 Like
Captains Log, Stardate: 89447.9 (Wednesday)

We arrived at Andoria a few short hours ago. The Andorians have already begun the unloading of their fallen. They have indicated that they plan to work all night and should be finished in the early morning.

Ensign Latarola, of medical, has started a 14 day leave to include a stop back at her home system of Sol before joining us again out on Argo Starbase.

The crew has appeared especially sullen during this mission to Andoria. My time in 4-forward has led me to believe that some of the younger officers. Its not that they cannot handle the gravity of what they have experienced, but rather its going to take some of them some time to process it all. Perhaps some help from someone who is not stationed on our small vessel would be of help?

I plan to get underway almost immediately tomorrow morning to return to Casperia. It is time to finish our last bit of work for this operation then return to our regular duties.

1 Like
Captains Log, Stardate: 89450.7 (Thursday)

We are in orbit above Casperia Prime again. We will be under way within a few hours and our night shift will be starting our flight home. I anticipate we will arrive back at Argo starbase tomorrow night.

We have picked up Lt Sedai from Casperia Prime. I had the chance to talk with her this evening. She did both psychological and medical work on the planet. I'm sure her training was especially suited for the environment. Although I have no intent to abuse her presence on the ship, I did ask her to take any opportunities she saw fitting to engage my crew members about their experiences on this mission. I have seen several crew members who I think the experiences have been especially burdening. I am not significantly concerned about long-term effects, but the chance to talk to some, such as Lt Sedai, who is not in the Sutherland's chain of command could definitely help them.

1 Like
Captains Log, Stardate: 89453.5 (Friday)

Today we returned to Starbase ARGO. I noticed a significant shift in the crew as we docked at the station. They're happy to be back here, and proud for the mission they have accomplished.

Chief Coopage is still on Casperia Prime, with the family friends and Ensign Latarola is still on leave in the Sol system. Dr Kriv reportedly talked to her and she is doing much better, now.

Refit here at Argo for a few days then its back to the front. To our original mission, made stronger and wiser by the experiences we've had over the past week and a half.

Its not always pleasant, or comfortable, but this is how people grow. They grow to appreciate the frailty of life, and to cherish what they have today. They grow as Starfleet officers in capability in themselves, and as a team. They grow in compassion for their fellow beings. And as a society they grow to be more than what they were. Which, in the long run, is why the Federation and Starfleet is for. To grow.

1 Like