Distress Call - Starbase 24

To: Task Force Argo Command, Starfleet Command, Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
From: Captain Ben Webster, U.S.S. Vanguard, Task Force Argo
Subject: Starbase 24 Distress Call

Sirs, on Stardate 89485.3, Outpost Argo received a Distress call that emanated from a Type 8 Shuttlecraft. This shuttlecraft contained Commodore Weston, Commanding Officer of Starbase 24. A large Klingon fleet had approached the Starbase and attacked. Commodore Weston stated that the defending Capital ships were the first to fall, including the U.S.S. Monitor and the U.S.S. Crazy Horse. I immediately ordered the Vanguard to prepare to depart Outpost Argo and head to Starbase 24. At this point, I would like to make clear that I am aware that there are several other outposts in the area that could respond, but I felt it was my duty as a Starfleet Officer to respond. I will submit to any disciplinary action Commodore Ashworth, CO Task Force Argo, deems appropriate. The Vanguard cleared her moorings and departed approximately 27 minutes after Commodore Weston was brought aboard.
screenshot_2013-06-26-15-01-14_zps2697a012.jpg
U.S.S. Vanguard, during the first phase of the battle

As[ the Vanguard approached Starbase 24, long range communications were jammed. Vanguard dropped out of warp near the staging point for the counter-attack. Vanguard was put in a squadron containing U.S.S. Valiant-A, R.R.W. Li'Tekl, R.R.W. Ha'Nom and the U.S.S. Merrimac. Vanguard was to act as command ship for the squadron. I ordered all ships to clear a path to the Starbase. Vanguard suffered major damage to her port nacelle pylon and decks 4 through 9 suffered Class 1 hull breaches. At this point, twenty (20) Negh'Var battlegroups dropped out of warp. At this point, only thirteen (13) Federation and Federation Allied ships were combat worthy. I ordered four (4) engineering teams aboard Starbase 24 in an attempt to get the Starbase weapons online.
screenshot_2013-06-26-15-01-42_zpsd1684be8.jpg
U.S.S. Vanguard, during the Klingon push, engaging a Negh'Var battlegroup

Approximately 2 hours later, three (3) Federation Starships were disabled. At this time, several phaser shots from Starbase 24's Phaser lance fired, penetrating the shields of a Negh'Var that was preparing to fire a torpedo salvo at the Vanguard's bridge. At this time, the remaining Klingon ships disengaged and fled the combat area. Vanguard has remained on station to undergo repairs and act as a security.

I request reinforcements from either Task Force Argo or Starfleet Command. I will remain in system until relieved or the situation becomes untenable.

Captain Ben Webster
U.S.S. Vanguard
NCC-92033