A question for joined Trill

I would like an opinion from people regarding the skills of a joint Trill in their "current lifetime" vs what they had before.

One of Rhal's hosts was an artist. I was thinking of having Helena Rhal (Helena being the current host) take up art again.

But I was thinking of the episode where Jadzia talks to the other hosts and there are things she doesn't know about them. For example, she discovers that her mannerism where she places her hands behind her back comes from one of the previous hosts.

Also I am ignoring the host's memories that were deliberately suppressed as that is a different kettle of fish.

So would Helena Rhal need to take lessons? I recon she would have a predisposition to art (painting and writing in this case) but how much would she already know?

What are people's thoughts on this?
1 Like
I always thought that, despite the possession of part of the past experience of previous hosts, most skills remain limited. Specifically, Likely the current host knows how act and do in specific fields of the past joined, but, probably and it's my assumption, you must, in some way, "re-activate" the skills, studying or exercising. And it is still possible that the current Trill will not be so good like the old hosts.
2 Likes
I think of past-host knowledge as "book knowledge." They know of it, they've done a lot of reading, but their muscle memory/hands don't have it. I mean, I know exactly how my last surgery was done, why it was needed and how it was accomplished, but I'd never trust myself to do one on somebody else -- I'm not a trained surgeon! :)
3 Likes
I think you are both right and the surgeon example is appropriate. I think my Trill could possibly take a liking and might have the right mindset, but she would still need to excercise that skill, relearn the physiciality of it, like how do you hold the brush to get that specific effect?

And possibly her style, if she does get up to speed, would be different as influenced by the current host.
1 Like
Check out the episode in DS9 where Ezri Dax uses the murderer-former-host-dude to help her catch a murderer. He makes a comment about "I'm glad you've kept up your music" or something like that, where he was the musician host. (DS9: Field of Fire)
2 Likes
I forgot about that one, good spot.
1 Like
wrote:
I think you are both right and the surgeon example is appropriate. I think my Trill could possibly take a liking and might have the right mindset, but she would still need to excercise that skill, relearn the physiciality of it, like how do you hold the brush to get that specific effect?

And possibly her style, if she does get up to speed, would be different as influenced by the current host.

That also seems to be what happened with Kurzon and Jadzia. Jadzia loves Klingon fighting techniques but there's no real indication that was the case before the merging, because initially, she's still getting ahold of Kurzon's personality surfacing so much because of the closeness to Sisko. We can assume - by her personality and her look - before joining she probably wasn't hugely into Klingon combat techniques.

She does get very good at it though, especially for a slender woman without enhanced physical strength which probably implies what Aurelia is saying and all the 'book-learning' remains - it's training the body to follow it that's the important part.By the time Worf shows up she's gotten really good and even outpaces him at a rate that probably isn't natural. She's got like 50 years of Klingon experience behind her training.
2 Likes
I've always thought it was simply a matter of the passage of time. They have all the memories and skills and traits of their previous hosts, but that doesn't mean they can recall it on command. Think of your own memory. Is there anything you ever learned how to do that you don't quite remember? And that's one lifetime. If a few hundred years have passed since the symbiont did/practiced/thought about something, they may need to relearn it. They may not even be entirely sure which host it was that originally learned it, if it wasn't a prominent memory.
4 Likes
wrote:
Think of your own memory. Is there anything you ever learned how to do that you don't quite remember? And that's one lifetime.

Quite. I did consider that, it's a good point.
1 Like
Check out the episode in DS9 where Ezri Dax uses the murderer-former-host-dude to help her catch a murderer. He makes a comment about "I'm glad you've kept up your music" or something like that, where he was the musician host. (DS9: Field of Fire)

I just finished to watch that again and it seems clear to me that Trills seem to process memories differently. I mean, they need to practice and all that was said up to now applies, but in the episode you see Ezri gets influenced by the previous host to the point that she almost kills someone. It's a bit like what Tue said regarding Jadzia and Klingon martial arts and how she gets influenced by Kurzon (but still needs to relearn).

Ezri says she knows exactly how it feels to have the need to kill someone and even feels guilty, and the fact that the previous hosts can manifest as separate entities seems to indicate that Trills do have good memory (at least the symbionts do). But there are things they do not remember (example I made of the mannerism, and what Kermit said).

Anyway, as I said anything that was discussed still applies, but it is interesting to be reminded of the Trills' ability to process memories in ways that as humans we might not think about.
2 Likes
I've definitely thought about this, and a good analogy is a library and its card catalog system. You're the librarian, and while you roam the halls every day grabbing books of various descriptions and categories you're definitely not going to remember every vivid detail. Taking what was already said above I suppose it can still be handled like selective memories that are reactivated with various stimuli. So if you're playing a piano like a previous host, you can recall that said host was into a particular piece or something.

For your case, if a previous host has inspired your character to refocus on something then you should have memories and certain mannerisms for said action. You won't be able to replicate their performance exactly, but it's totally viable for your char to say "hey, I remember when X used to do this, and I've started to take an interest in X again". Hope that helps, or maybe this is just a bunch of incoherent midnight ramblings :p

That's how I play Nirali at least. She's taken an interest in photography, but she doesn't try to replicate her artsy precursor in the slightest. She takes way too many photos and all in varying styles and quality. Previous host, for example, probably was very specific, taking few photos or none at all. Nirali will remember this and go in her own route, because that's her.
3 Likes
This is a great thread, both in what's asked and how others have answered. Made me think.

The one contribution I have at this time is "okay, you remember - sort of - how to paint / play the piano / etc with Two's hands. Now learn how to do it with Five's."
(And because Five's hands aren't used to it, they're probably gonna be real sore at first.)

EDIT: Ha, and groping for a general way to refer to (past) Trill hosts has given me one new, possible way of thinking about/playing them: Doctors.
("Yes, but you see, that's when I was him.")
2 Likes
..Every time I see this thread, it bugs me. I feel compelled to ask:
You know it's 'joined' trill, not 'joint' trill, right?
1 Like
..Every time I see this thread, it bugs me. I feel compelled to ask:
You know it's 'joined' trill, not 'joint' trill, right?

Changed, I hope you can sleep at night now. ;) Just remember not everyone here speaks English as their first language.
4 Likes
That's a totally fair point.