Ensign Sovum: Cultural Development

To: CAPT Varley, L. (@Lauren)
CC: CMDR Jarnefelt, C. (@Eunha); ENS Sovum, V. (@Veneela)
BCC: CDR Davin (@Davin)
Subj: Ensign Sovum: Cultural Development

Captain Varley,

Good day.

I had encountered one of your medical ensigns today, an Ensign Veneela Sovum. She had managed to develop a rapport with some of the JSI. A child of Romulan refugees, she is Romulan in species though appears to be more culturally human than anything.

That being said, our allies seemed to have taken a liking to her. After speaking with both them and the ensign, it would appear that the general consensus is that the ensign would benefit from more cultural development. Whilst she herself is quite curious and eager to learn more as I had gleamed in our meeting, I cannot help but notice the diplomatic benefit of our allies willing to assist in this in a good-faith effort. Given how strenuous relationships can sometimes be at the flag level, I believe it may help the fleet considerably to pursue this further.

With your assent, I would care to see the ensign be enrolled in a Romulan language course for beginners at our annex whilst also encouraging our JSI to have cordial relations with her for cultural exposure, along with facilitating future development should it prove to be successful. The ensign seems particularly excited about the prospect when I suggested it and I believe there is considerable potential in her as an officer waiting to be unlocked. In the future, we may have a senior officer that is capable of not only practicing medicine but also doing so in ways that cross historically arduous cultural barriers.

Thank you for your time, sir.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Valore
Adjutant
Office of the Admiralty

5 Likes

To: LCDR Valore, S.; ENS Sovum, V.
CC: CMDR Jarnefelt, C.; CDR Davin, M.
Subj: Re: Ensign Sovum: Cultural Development

Adjutant,

I appreciate your interest in assisting Ensign Sovum connect to her heritage. We’re lucky to be in a position to offer her help in that regard, and I find it to be an excellent use of our relationship with the Joint Squadron Initiative.

Ensign,

I agree with the Adjutant in that a language course from our Annex would be the best first step, but you should determine for yourself how exactly you wish to proceed. If you decide you’d like to attend the class, I’m sure Commander Jarnefelt can adjust your duties appropriately. With only so many hours in a day further obligations to your schedule may have to wait until after you’ve finished the course, but I’ll leave this to your discretion provided you continue to fulfill your duties in the medical bay.

Commander Valore is an excellent resource, and while she keeps busy I advise you fully utilize her help where possible. If, down the road, you find yourself interested in our officer exchange program with the Republic, come to me and we’ll discuss the options at that juncture.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

6 Likes

To: CAPT Varley, L. (@Lauren ) ; LCDR Valore (@Valore )
CC: CMDR Jarnefelt, C.; CDR Davin, M.
Subj: Re: Ensign Sovum: Cultural Development

Adjutant,

I am equally humbled and excited that you have taken an interest in assisting me with my cultural development, as per our conversation yesterday, This opportunity has alluded me for most of my life. This is my official reply to formally accept enrollment in a Romulan language course for beginners and I look forward to potentially taking it further if the opportunity does present itself.

Captain Varley,

I do not wish for my duties to be altered, I am under the belief that I can attend both the language course and continue to carry out normal duties within the medical bay. I understand this will not be an easy undertaking, but I have the firm belief that in order to be successful, sometimes sacrifices must be made, in this case, extra downtime. I know this will not be easy on me but I urge you to allow me to continue furthering the development of my medical knowledge as well. If it does become too much for me down the line, I can re-evaluate my stance and lessen duties should I need to. With your permission of course.

I look forward in continuing to having a continued dialogue with CDR Davin and the others within JSI. His initial efforts to help me have been constructive, welcome and I personally look forward to our conversations when the opportunities arise.

//SIGNED//
Veneela Sovum
Ensign, Medical Officer
Deep Space 13 Medical Bay

5 Likes