Personal Log: Sedai, Katriel

xi. 33%

In her mindnumbing exhaustion, Katriel barely noticed the small Grailien figure that stood just outside the conference room door and very nearly bowled over him. Though she tried to jerk back in time, it wasn’t quite enough to prevent the deliverance of a sound thunk to his cranium by her elbow. He stumbled back with a squawk while the counselor starting spouting profuse apologies.

“Administrator! I am so … SO sorry, I should have been watching where I was going more carefully,” Katriel fretted over the potential injury.

Shan took a moment to regain his balance, before puffing up his chest and brushing down his uniform. “My organic central processor is not damaged. Are your optical receptors not functioning tonight?”

“N… no, they’re fine, it’s just…” Katriel expelled a short sigh, buying herself a moment to regain her composure. “It’s been a very long day and I wasn’t expecting anyone to have the reservation after me.”

Shan looked down at his PADD for a quick moment. “Yes, I have noticed your usage of this holoconferencing room over the past 13.7 days. You constitute 33.3% of its reserved time. Are the rooms in your staff area insufficient? Is Captain Ailes not effectively managing power distribution to all sectors of the base? I should be informed of such deficiencies in command’s duties.”

Katriel pursed her lips. “No, no… nothing like that. I was … invited to sit on a planning and advisory committee for a new neurotherapy research and education department that is forming up at Starfleet Medical. But since the primary stakeholders are based in Sol, much of my participation has been through holoconferencing. The equipment in the counseling conference rooms is far more limited, so I felt it would be better to use the higher resolution rooms.”

Shan nodded a few times, considering her answer. “My calculations indicate that your use of this conference room constitutes 7.7 hours daily.” He looked down at his PADD again, tapping away as his eyes quickly scanned the text on the device. “Analysis of doorway entry logs indicates that you are present in your department office for another 6.4 hours average per day. Accessing your personal quarters’ illumination level records indicates you are averaging 6.7 hours of sleep.”

“Uh…”

The little administrator just kept going. “It appears your sonic shower is activated for .25 hours each day, and your food replicator twice a day. Assuming humanoid averages of .8 hours for hygienic requirements and .55 hours for consumption of biomass for fuel, this leaves you only 1.6 hours for mental and emotional requirements and care of your vulpinura rimorae specimen.”

Katriel was a bit disconcerted. “… something like that,” she murmured.

In true Jal’Shan style, there was no disapproval in his reaction, only matter-of-factness. “These metrics do not meet Starfleet work-life balance recommendations for your species’s profile. Did you strike me because you wished to combine social interaction and recreation time?”

The betazoid coughed on her response. “No, I’m … that was not my intention. I… did take a full day when my partner came to visit for my birthday a week ago?”

Unsurprisingly, Shan did not look impressed by this informational offering. “Your date of birth on a sol solar cycle was 16.7 days previous. That is not sufficient and I suspect you will continue to strike people. Others may not be as physically and emotionally resilient as I am.” He nodded firmly in his assumption that she obviously already knew this. “I will be requisitioning the winter holiday holoprogram for use in holodeck A to encourage your participation in a more acceptable method of stress relief.”

The counselor was, in a word, dumbfounded. “… but… Administrator… it’s … spring time?”

Shan raised a hand to stop her protests as he started to walk away. “Do not make me forge the Admiral’s approval seal on documentation mandating your attendance!” The little administrator had barely finished the sentence when he disappeared around the corner and out of view. Katriel stood there, staring at the empty space Jal’Shan had left behind.

“… okay then.”

8 Likes

:notes:

6 Likes

“I am starting to think that my arms workout yesterday was a bad idea.”

Katriel pulled her glance away from their surroundings, training her eyes instead on Matt and surveying his frame. “Why’s that?”

“Because I have to stand in line today and hold still for god knows how long and I don’t think I can even straighten my arms,” he confessed with a grimace.

The betazoid chuckled quietly in response. She extended out one hand so she could gently rub his upper arm in sympathy. “Poor Matt. Still doesn’t always know his limits, huh?”

Matt scoffed at that. “Sure I do! I just don’t want to listen to them… a lot of the time.”

Katriel smiled vaguely in response. “Good thing too, or we might not be here today.”

They stood in an auditorium that was slowly filling with personnel, many of them in uniform though plenty that weren’t as well. Katriel was conscious that her Starfleet dress whites, though not totally unique at this event, certainly put her in the minority. Matt blended in a bit better with his MACO dress uniform.

“You should get promoted more often,” Katriel remarked as she brushed some invisible lint off one of his shoulders. “I really like this uniform.”

“Yeah?” Matt asked, puffing up his chest a little. “Couple months of killing your arm muscles and you could have one, too!”

Katriel opened her mouth to respond, but a sudden sense of something made her hesitate.

“HEY, SVENSON!”

They both looked in the direction of the quick shout and Katriel thought the human fellow who issued it looked somewhat familiar, but she couldn’t quite place him. Matt had less trouble and he swiftly caught Katriel’s hand so he could tug her along as he went to meet the other man halfway.

“Galinic!” Matt exclaimed, greeting his friend with a firm handshake and pump. “How have you BEEN? You’re up and about!”

That was the clue that Katriel needed to jog her memory. This was Matt’s former teammate, one who had been on Team 34 when they had been sent to the gamma quadrant on an almost year long, comms-silent mission. Though they had all come back alive, Galinic had sustained a severe spinal injury, so he’d been transferred permanently off the team in order to undergo extended medical treatment and physical therapy. It seemed like the hard work had paid off, though, because here he was, standing unassisted and looking quite whole.

“I am! Five months of spinal regeneration and another year and a half of rehab. Still working on getting myself back up to the full range of mobility and maybe I won’t ever get there a hundred percent, but I’m gonna take the fitness test in September to see if I can still qualify for a team.”

Matt couldn’t keep the gratified surprise off his face. “You’re gonna go back into it?”

“If I can.”

“That’s incredible, Galinic, congratulations! Even if you don’t make it, it’s still really impressive, after an injury like yours. Just awesome work,” Matt enthused.

Katriel imagined that Matt would have always been a somewhat generous commander to his subordinates, but by the way Galinic was beaming, it was clear that the praise was still wholly welcome. “Thanks! What about you, sir, what’re you here for? Dressed up like that it can only mean…” his voice trailed as he finally seemed to notice Katriel there and focused his attention on her fully for the first time. “Ah, hello ma’am. Nice to see you again.”

“Hello, Galinic,” Katriel greeted him in return. “Matt’s promotion came in, so we’re here for that. I finally get to return the favor for when he pinned me for reaching Lieutenant Commander.”

This news merited another round of vigorous handshaking, evidently. “Congrats, sir, that’s fantastic! Lieutenant Colonel Svenson, wow!”

It was Matt’s turn to look pleased now. “Thanks, man.”

“Are you staying on as Team 34 commander, though?” Galinic asked. “I know it’s not usually done, but…”

Matt shook his head. “Nope, I’m out of 34. Transferring here to K-7 as Deputy Ops Chief, for MACO Group 3.”

Galinic’s expression was a mix of disappointment, understanding, and then teasing. “Hah. Trading in your combat armor from the field to go into battle with the PADDs and bureaucrats, huh, sir?”

Matt smirked outwardly, but the tiny hint of rue that he felt deep inside did not escape Katriel’s senses. There was no denying that as relieving as it was to move out of the frequently physically stressing world of field work, the promotion would undeniably come with its own set of exasperating headaches and Matt was sure there would be the periodic occasion to miss working primarily with an assault rifle.

“Someone’s got to keep those guys off of your backs while you do the real work, yeah?” was Matt’s rejoinder. “I’m getting slow, so it might as well be me.”

“Pssh, you were always killing everyone else in lap times, sir. I’ll never consider you slow!” Galinic accompanied this exclamation with a friendly punch to Matt’s shoulder and Katriel had to stifle a laugh as Matt valiantly hid his resulting grimace of pain.

Galinic didn’t seem to notice. “Hey, are you two free after the ceremony? We could get dinner, catch up and everything. My treat!”

Matt had caught his breath sufficiently, so Katriel let him answer. “We’re due back to DS13 right after, but I’ll be back here tomorrow afternoon. I’ll drop you a line then. That cool?”

“Yeah, sounds good!”

10 Likes

Katriel tapped the power button on her console to send it to sleep, before leaning back in her chair with a long sigh.

Her gaze traveled around her quiet office, which was normally so neat and organized, but lately had started to grow piles of stacked PADDs on any available flat surface. Between finishing up with a multi-month remote project with Sol and coordinating a separate internal department project that launched simultaneously with the major fleet-wide LCARS upgrade, Katriel felt like she had come to the end of a very long marathon.

(She’d heard a lot of other people having issues with the upgrade, but hadn’t experienced anything particularly detrimental herself. Actually she rather liked how much speedier data access appeared to be.)

So much had happened. And though things had sorted themselves out in the end, she felt a little empty inside from the seemingly total commitment expenditure of energy and spirit.

For someone who has been around as long as Katriel had been, command transitions were nothing new. She’d lost count of how many starbase commanders she’d seen pass through and even been friends with a few of them, if not very good friends, even. But Beylara’s retirement somehow stung worse than the rest. It had been unquestionably therapeutic to see her and Emery’s wedding a couple months ago, but also a bit short-lived.

Stars knew that Katriel was all too familiar with the challenges that came with long distance. And though she was certain the two of them could handle it, that didn’t mean it was going to be fun. She was glad she was dealing with a lot less of that herself, these days.

Seeing Captain Varley’s appointment, though, and even her face in person, had definitely smoothed over a lot of Katriel’s distress. At least she was assured that the station was in extremely competent, experienced, and – most importantly – compassionate hands. Well, most importantly to her, anyway.

The counselor hauled up out of her seat and looked around the mess that comprised her office. The only way out of any wreck or mess is forward, she reminded herself.

Katriel lifted a PADD and peered at its screen, attempting to read its contents for only a few seconds before exasperatedly setting it back down. Instead, she scooped up her uniform jacket, draping it over her arm, and exited out of her office.

Forward could start tomorrow.

7 Likes

“Commander?” That was Caissa’s voice, coming from the comm.

Katriel sat in her office, her focus on a subordinate’s report on a PADD in front of her. She was in the midst of circling a passage to give some feedback when the call came through and without pausing her scribbling, her free hand reached up to tap her badge. “Caissa, hello.”

“Hi. We got this request in from the Security department,” the other counselor started to say. “I’m … forwarding it now, for your review.”

The trepidation in Caissa’s voice didn’t bode well and threw Katriel’s train of thought into disarray. “… Ohhhkay then?” She eyed the last word on the PADD that she had written and struggled to recall the exceptionally brilliant sentence that she could swear she had just come up with before the interruption. She sighed when the effort turned out to be in vain and dropped the stylus on the desk.

Instead, Katriel turned her attention to her desk console and brought up her communications inbox. Caissa’s forwarded message was there and she tapped on the screen to open it. Her eyes skimmed the contents and her expression flattened in dismay.

“What? Do they not realize that they have like ten times the staff that I do?” Katriel’s tone held as much pique as Caissa had ever heard from her. “That’s a bit brazen, especially with the lack of forewarning.”

“Yeeeaaah,” Though Caissa seemed to agree, she moved on quickly, unwilling to dwell on potential departmental failings. “Cedano and I have been looking over the numbers, though we could do with a few more details. It’s not great timing, especially with the leave cycle starting literally tomorrow. We’re going to have even less.”

Katriel fell silent, troubled at the idea that she might need to ask some staff to postpone their leaves. “… I could --”

“NO!” Caissa practically squawked the interjection and the speaker on Katriel’s badge actually crackled slightly with the burst of volume. “Don’t even say it! You’ve got that multi-day reservation for that submarine thing and you haven’t taken any breaks since last year, so don’t you DARE suggest that you’ll stay behind!!”

The betazoid shrank in her chair at the other woman’s rebuke, refusing to acknowledge that she was thinking about doing just that. “Right, okay. I’m sure there’s another way,” Katriel agreed weakly.

They brooded in silence for a moment, thinking over the options. Katriel took a moment to reach for the mug on her desk to check if there was any liquids left in it, but only the sad, soppy tea bag remained. She set the ceramic back down.

“We have to slim down the civilian timeslots,” Katriel finally concluded with some reluctance.

“I agree,” Caissa stated readily. Perhaps she had already reached the same outcome.

“Well, we can go 5% fewer officer slots, 15% fewer civilian,” the betazoid amended, trying to picture the numbers in her head. “And we can put up a few volunteer shift offers, I suppose. Hopefully that’ll cut down on the number of cancellations we’ll have to put out.”

“Yeah, that’s the worst part for sure,” Caissa’s tone turned a bit more cheerful. “We can sustain those levels afterward without too much issue, I think.”

“All right, you have the go ahead, then,” Katriel said after a moment’s more of thought. She silently fretted for a moment that there was something else they hadn’t thought of, but forced herself to let it go when nothing else came to mind. “And when you write the security department back, let them know that we would Really Very Much Appreciate getting more advanced notice next time.”

“Acknowledged! Hey, if I don’t see you before you go tomorrow, have a great trip, okay? Feed Griffin an oyster for me.”

Katriel smirked slightly as she picked up her stylus, returning to her review. “Thanks, Ensign. I will.”

7 Likes

xv. seeking solace

“So where is your transferring officer going to?”

Katriel barely heard Matt ask the question, as she lay flat on her stomach with her head resting on her crossed forearms. Her partner was currently earning copious amounts of brownie points as he pressed his palms and fingers into the muscles of her back. Matt wasn’t exactly a trained masseuse, but he did have raw strength and Katriel certainly wasn’t going to be able to reach these parts of her own back any time soon herself, so really, what in stars could possibly be better than this? Other than maybe if she also had a pint of Vanilla or Bust’s raspberry ripp–

“Helloooo, Kaaaatriellll?”

“Mmmmm???” she murmured sleepily.

“Don’t fall asleep,” Matt tried to sound stern as he chided her. “If you fall asleep, then how will you compliment me on what a great job I’m doing??”

“You’re doing an incredible job,” Katriel parrotted automatically. “Please don’t stop.”

“Don’t miss my question!” His recommendation was amused.

“Hmmmm, Cedano…” she managed to remember the question from the start. “… received an offer from the Starfleet Embassy on Casperia Prime. Chief of Counseling, no less.”

“Oh, heh! Casperia, your old stomping grounds,” Matt remarked.

The betazoid smiled vaguely. “Yeah.”

“Chief of Counseling, though, good for her.” He took a moment to gather Katriel’s long hair and shifted it off to one side. “You think maybe she got tired of waiting for you to give up the spot here?” he joked as his hands settled back down on her shoulders, only to find that they’d gone suddenly rigid with tension.

“Katriel?” Matt frowned, feeling instantly contrite. “Too sharp? I’m sorry. You know I don’t mean that.”

“I know,” she responded quietly, all vestiges of sleepiness had dissipated. “But who knows? Perhaps you’re right.” Her tone held a thread of forced lightness.

Matt shook his head. “Even if I am, it doesn’t mean you’re wrong to stay where you are. You’re doing good things here and you still can.”

She didn’t respond right away. Matt resumed his work on her back, undoing the accidental damage he had caused with his joke and waiting for her to figure out what she wanted to say. Eventually his patience was rewarded.

“I’m just … I’ve never had much career ambition and I don’t care about my rank. But… I never thought I’d feel so tired of being left behind, every time. It makes me feel like … like I’m falling behind in a race I’m not even supposed to care about. I should be moving on, exploring something new, growing again. Instead it just seems like I’m stuck, holding things together with… with dreams and duct tape.”

Matt pulled his hands back for a moment, popping his wrist joints with a thoughtful expression. “I think… that it is kind of natural for us to be competitive in that way. Beings across the galaxy exist because they want to strive and achieve and part of that is comparing to the ones closest to them. Whether that be colleagues, or family, or rivals.”

As his hands returned to her back, he found a particularly tense muscle on each side of her lower back and dug his thumbs in hard, eliciting a sharp inhale from the betazoid. Given the maneuver’s almost perfect balance between pressure and pain, Katriel was starting to question her assumption that Matt had never taken masseuse lessons before.

“There is nothing wrong with feeling a bit of anxiety from those that are moving on from where we are. The important part is to recognize it as perhaps a con of the choice we have made and balance that with all the pros. And if one feeling or decision ever changes because the pros and cons shift… well, then so be it.” His voice was suggestive, but empathetic. She could tell he wasn’t trying to influence her choices. But… – aha, there was that familiar, if somewhat subdued, perk of incoming mischief.

“So… is this enough? Has your assessment of the cons shifted enough that you finally want to apply for that senior counseling department lead on K-7, hrmmm?” He leaned forward, his head close behind hers as he whispered in her ear. “It’d mean more backrubs.”

Katriel shivered at the insinuation and all thoughts of her earlier distress fled. “Is that actually an open position right now?”

“Just say the word, and I’ll go back and get rid of anyone I have to so that there is!”

She laughed as she twisted around to flip onto her back and drew Matt’s face close to her own. “You’re so thoughtful,” she murmured before pressing her mouth to his.

((Backdated by a day.))

8 Likes

xiv. judgment

Dear Matt,

I’m really getting tired of the color red.

It’s funny. When I was trapped on the Jules Verne, the space we had was so small and confined and nearly claustrophobic. Here there is an endless sky and the freedom to go in any direction I please; and yet if I had to pick which experience would be less painful to repeat, it would certainly be Kelterre.

And the reasons for that have … well, almost nothing to do with the environment here, although that has been significantly more unbearable. I suppose the nights are not entirely awful. At least, they would be almost pleasant if one wasn’t so worried about what might be lurking in the dark. But I digress. What makes this disaster of a trip so much worse is the utterly devastating stress of the situation, which is really ruining all the other officers’ decision-making faculties. (Though maybe I shouldn’t talk, given my choices.)

I’ve just never felt so discontented with the decisions of others before. Normally I am able to be more empathetic. It’s not just superior officers, either, but individuals too, who just can’t seem to figure out what to do with themselves unless they’re explicitly told what to try. I can only assume it’s the crisis at hand that is making them freeze, but even if that’s the case, it’s disappointing. We should be better than this. But I wonder if it’s just the stress that’s making me feel this way, or if it’s something else?

Now, between myself, James, and the Subcommander, the atmosphere is almost calm. I suppose it’s because we have accepted our helplessness, to some degree, and we’re at peace with the understanding that for now at least, we have done everything we can. James might disagree in terms of my capacity, but I am the only one who is allowed to determine what decisions I can live with and which ones I can’t. I know I have chosen the one that will let me sleep at night.

… It’s really way, way too hot out here, but I guess at least that means I am making good use of the tank tops you packed me. Speaking of which, thanks for the ration bars, too.

I hope that you don’t worry too much, when you learn about our shuttle’s fate. Stay optimistic for the both of us. Hope to hug you again soon, even if I am covered in a full sunburn.

9 Likes

xvi. excuses

Katriel was honestly surprised at just how much she did not feel any different. She had finally passed her command exams, and yet she still felt as unqualified as ever. Even after the holodeck program had halted and Captain Varley had come over with congratulations, Katriel’s fingers had itched to start the simulation over to try something else, anything that would give her a better result than what she’d ended with.

“Congratulations, Commander. It’s a pass.”

It wasn’t enough just to pass. She had to … she …

The betazoid sullenly stuck her spoon into the ice cream carton, scooping out a chilly, coffee-flavored bite. Her gaze scanned the starfield outside her quarters’ window, barely seeing the little points of light.

“I’m a good runner, ma’am, and every minute the
maintenance team is getting further into the conduit.”

At that moment, a small needle of truth lanced out of her subconsciousness, as cold as her dessert. It was far from the only reason Katriel might have avoided command opportunities, but she could acknowledge now that it must have been a factor. In the future, as a commander, her mistakes and her record would be heavily scrutinized. The betazoid was already her own worst critic, but she couldn’t imagine how much worse it might get should other officers be granted the opportunity to judge.

This latest escapade on BN01-A was no reassurance, either. Certainly leadership shared responsibility in the various small disasters that had occurred, but Katriel had observed a total lack of personal responsibility, too. Some officers were just too ready to lump all the blame on command, as if they had no individual obligation to morale, unit cohesion, or duty.

"You’re sending that man to his death, sir.
He’ll never make it there and back in time.

Katriel wasn’t ready for her mistakes to become the jurisdiction of everyone else around her. She wasn’t ready to be the one that people pointed a finger at when things went wrong, the one everyone watched and waited for orders from, the one that others would try to walk all over when their opinions clashed, the one who chose to condemn a handful of familiar names and faces in order to save a thousand strangers.

“Nitrogen saturation is at 88%. The Fortunate Fox crew will not
be capable of operating the spacecraft for much longer.”

“Is anyone ever ready for that?” she chided herself aloud for the notion.

No more excuses, she resolved silently. Katriel thought that she might not feel ready, but it was time nonetheless. She imagined that in a few months, or a year or two or three, she might look back to this time and realize that she was never going to be perfectly prepared, but perhaps a little more ready than she believed. That would have to be enough.

Katriel leaned over to pick up the closest PADD and started dialing comms.

Time to spread the happy news.

((Thank you Lauren, Calyx, Sophist, Kermit!))

8 Likes

With a mild sigh of frustration, Katriel tossed yet another glossy pamphlet onto the discard pile next to her armchair.

The evergrowing mountain of pages contained advertisements for all manner of Risa tourist destinations, whether it was the most popular, the most unforgettable, the cheapest – in price, not quality, of course – or the most obscure ‘hidden gems’ of the planet. And yet, despite all the tantalizing possibilities spread out before her, Katriel couldn’t find a single grand adventure she was enthusiastic about for this shore leave.

And that feeling was gnawing at her.

Kind of like how Griffin was gnawing on his jerky stick at the base of her seat. Katriel leaned way forward, bending in a downward stretch so she could stroke the pale foxbird’s neck while he cheerfully chewed on his snack.

It wasn’t that she was growing bored of Risa, far from it. Her anticipation for the annual trip was as high as ever and she was impatient to totally submerse herself in those spirit-cleansing waves. But after she’d had her fill of sparkling beaches and endless seafood spreads, what then? What unknown sights were there left to discover, on a planet she’d visited every year for approaching a decade?

Her mind turned over the summers, recalling fondly the adventures she’d had on the planet before, often with Matt, but sometimes alone. From cave spelunking to picnics on the beach, interpretive dance shows, powerboarding lessons, beach bonfires, or a vintage lighthouse tour. Of course, who could forget the summer where they’d woken up at 0100 to watch Risian sea turtle hatchlings crawl their way out of their nests and into the safety of the waves? Or that time they’d booked a treasure hunting ‘pirate’ tour and sailed about a Risian archipelago in an adorable rented sloop?

The smile that had reflexively appeared when the betazoid had started contemplating these memories started to fade when she realized that such exploratory adventures and the joy they brought seemed to be harder and harder to come by these days. And what was it that made the unknown, the novelty of the first time experience, so desirable in the first place anyway?

The dopamine hit, Katriel answered her own question with silent irony.

By now, Griffin had finished his evening treat and had started nosing through the pile of pamphlet pages, indiscriminately scattering pages and sheets everywhere. Ordinarily Katriel would’ve cared more, but it was all going into the replicator recyler after this anyway.

It was a strange and frustrating paradox of sentient nature, especially when one has a more risk averse and conservative personality. Katriel was, generally speaking, a creature of habit and routine and it could take her such a long time to get to a place of total comfort and confidence, with new activities or even people. She would not truly want to trade a single aspect of her fairly stable lifestyle for anything that tried to promise to be more exciting or adventurous, but that didn’t prevent her from periodically feeling like she was stagnating and missing out on those jitters or that satisfaction that only comes from discovering something new for the first time.

“What’s a girl to do, huh?” she asked Griffin, rhetorically. The foxbird tilted his head and gave a ‘yip’, then abruptly burrowed into the pile of pages and snagged a pamphlet at random. He proudly brought it to Katriel to investigate.

“SKYDIVE RISA – THE UNLIMITED HOLIDAY FUN,” she read aloud, with an amused snort. “Pffft.”

She crumpled up the pamphlet in her hands. “Yeah, I’m not that bored.”

9 Likes

mirror, mirror

She found herself walking down a corridor that was both familiar and not. The bulkhead configuration seemed close enough, but the lights were dimmed and if it weren’t for their steadiness, she would’ve assumed there was something wrong with the power levels.

She was walking towards some destination when she became aware of the Ensign prattling next to her.

“He’s definitely done it now,” she said, and Katriel was mildly surprised to note the spiteful edge of the other woman’s tone. “I tell you, he really stopped being useful since the last of the labor rebellions were put down four months ago, I really don’t know why you didn’t get rid of him then.”

“Perhaps I was feeling lazy,” Katriel found herself answering, despite having no idea who ‘he’ was or why he had to be handled.

Caissa barked out an outraged “Ha!” at that, evidently finding the comment patently ridiculous. “Imagine that, the Ice Queen of Discipline feeling lazy.”

“Is that what they call me?” the betazoid asked and Caissa merely shrugged.

“You know they do. Anyway, there’s a couple options for moving him, mostly because Commander Kermit owes you a favor for your additions to the transneural surveillance array. Personally I favor putting him in Agonizer Biomonitoring, because I know he hates the screaming, but maybe he’d be better suited to medbay custodial staff instead?”

“How the mighty have fallen,” Katriel murmured thoughtfully as they continued to make their way down the hall. “I truly thought we might develop a mutually beneficial working relationship, I had such respect for his efficiency and work ethic and I am so very rarely impressed. But alas, he was --”

“Weak? Selfish? Stupid?” Caissa offered the descriptors up with relish.

“Stubborn,” Katriel decided at the end. “And, perhaps, fearful and defensive. All poor bedfellows for good decisions, really.”

The two of them had finally reached the end of the corridor and Katriel waited as Caissa keyed her identification into the side panel, permitting them access a small room that was even more dimly lit. Caissa waited outside as Katriel entered. Inside there was nothing but a hard chair and a man, his hands tied behind the seat back as he slouched heavily. His round, blue head was streaked with sweat and dried tracks of blood: remnants of whatever punishment he’d been enduring.

“Isohlah,” the betazoid greeted the bolian with a neutral, almost disinterested tone.

He didn’t answer at first and Katriel wondered only fleetingly if he had died. But then he stirred and made a sluggish attempt to straighten his posture, with only partial success.

“Sedai,” he finally responded, his voice hoarse and expression wretched. “How good of you to visit your former department chair. Come to gloat, have you?”

“You know that is not my way,” Katriel intoned.

The captive bolian coughed loudly and Katriel noted that his throat must be uncomfortably dry. “No, not you,” he agreed, before his expression twisted into an ugly sneer. “You are merely manipulative and vengeful,” he concluded, derisively.

“Fine words coming from a petty thief,” was Katriel’s unenthusiastic response. Something felt … off, but she couldn’t put her finger on what, exactly. The agitation forced her to pace and circle the small chamber, so even as she addressed Isohlah, she never faced him. “Petty and reckless, which is honestly so unlike you. Now we have incontrovertible evidence that you have been skimming inventory and you’ll never hold rank again. Is that what you wanted?”

Isohlah swallowed painfully. “My days were numbered as it is. Only an idiot wouldn’t follow through to make sure I could never regain influence and take my role back.”

“Why, Isohlah. Did you just compliment my intelligence?”

The bolian’s smile was ugly. “You are clearly very sharp, but you’re terrible with people. Even with your ungodly psionic gifts, you cannot fathom how to cajole and persuade others to do your bidding, you can only bully and intimidate. Given enough time, I could easily have regained the others’ loyalty and ousted you for good.”

He slumped in the chair once more, the conversation taking more out of him than he would ever admit. “My only consolation is that I’m sure your unpopularity will be your downfall soon enough. Inevitably someone will hate you enough to do what you did to me.”

Something inside Katriel snapped and she turned around sharply to loom over her prisoner. “YOU THINK I WANTED THIS??” she shrieked into his face. “You think I don’t know – that I cannot FEEL – how much they DETEST ME?? You think I WANT TO STAY HERE, day in and day out, enduring the malicious gossip and neverending accusations??”

The wild moment passed and the betazoid made a concerted effort to get her fraying control back, breathing deep to steady her nerves and tone. “But there is nowhere to run,” she said finally, turning away again from Isohlah. “Would that you had been willing to work with me instead of against, we could have made a formidable team.”

“Lies,” he wheezed. “You would have only stabbed me in the back sooner.”

Katriel’s posture slumped for a moment then. “No matter what I say,” she murmured, almost to herself, “you hear only what you want to.”

She surveyed the small featureless chamber again briefly, before heading towards the exit. “Goodbye, Isohlah.”

He made no reply.

As the door swished shut behind her, Caissa looked expectantly towards Katriel, as if awaiting a decision.

“Transfer him to custodial,” Katriel said eventually as they started walking back down the corridor. The Ensign looked crestfallen for a moment, but recovered quickly, punching the information into her handheld device. In the meantime, something flashed in Katriel’s periphery and she turned her head to see a tall mirror and her own reflection within. The uniform of the Terran Empire sat immaculately on her frame and as she moved her hand to the knife pommel at her side, she –

– abruptly gasped awake when a wet tongue licked her cheek.

“Griffin,” she murmured, as her surroundings sunk in. Her neck was stiff and sore from her poor sleeping position as she raised her head off the desk. She grimaced as she looked down at her textbook and scrunched the end of her sleeve to wipe off the small trail of foxbird drool that had pooled over the chapter title: THE ETHICS OF PSY OPS.

“Stupid Terran incursion,” she muttered harshly as she shut the textbook and headed, properly this time, to bed.

6 Likes

“Dear stars, this is the most amazing shop I have ever been in and I never want to leave.”

“That’s unfortunate,” Katriel deadpanned as she delicately paged through a gilt-lettered manuscript that was way more pretty than practical. “I really didn’t feel like sitting through a scene of the proprietors kicking you out at closing time, today.”

The other betazoid wasn’t the least bit put off by Katriel’s response and he went on quite glibly. “Well, you can either put up with a scene of me pouting about leaving at closing, or you can bail me out of detention after I try to steal half the books off this shelf. See how generous I am to let you pick?”

“Yes, yes,” she replied as she cautiously shut her book and set it back into its place on the shelf. “I am overwhelmed by your considerateness. Ooo, an original Yammalton Playbill!”

The two Sedai siblings had been prowling through the aisles and corridors of Sonic Emporium for almost half an hour now. The shop had opened on the station shortly after Brian had transferred to the USS Ponderosa, so he’d never had the opportunity to see it before now and both of them were more or less flabbergasted by the available inventory.

Though Katriel hadn’t yet seen anything she wanted to purchase and own for herself, she was naturally keeping quiet tabs of anything Brian exclaimed over. She’d already picked out his gift for this holiday season, but if there was something particularly exceptional, surely it could wait until his birthday instead.

But their outspoken mission today was searching for a gift to donate to the Livesong Toy Drive, for which Katriel’s assigned orphan professed interests in –

“Classical music, camping, swordfighting, and lizards,” Brian had read aloud.
He sounded skeptical. “Classical music for a ten year old?”

Katriel merely shrugged. “I’m not going to question it. Anyway, that’s the one
I want to focus on, because I like classical music, too.”

“Technically you like swordfighting and you don’t entirely hate camping, either?”
Brian mused as he closed down the assignment file on her desk console.

“Sure, but I don’t want to gift a saber to a ten year old.”

“Touche.”

So here they were, frequently getting sidetracked whenever they saw something interesting to look at. Brian had been a bit of a theater junkie prior to enrolling at the Academy and Katriel’s appreciation for classical music had grown significantly after her stint in DS13 Chamber Ensemble, so the time was passing most pleasantly as they poured through music sheets both familiar and foreign.

“HEEEYYyyy, remember this??”

Brian’s excitement levels had been elevated ever since their arrival, but his most recent find pushed him to yet another degree more and when Katriel glanced over to see what he held in his hands, she understood why. Her expression twisted into some blend of horror and amusement.

“Lyizana,” she read the title. “Yes, how could I forget how you dragged me in to run around and sing and pretend to be a street urchin?”

“You were almost too tall for it, too,” he held the music score in his palm and let the pages fall open to a random spot. “But the director liked you the best of all the other kids, cause you were so quiet and on task.” He grinned over at her. “I wish I had gotten to see more of you on stage, I was only able to make time once and almost missed my own entrance because of it.”

“I don’t think you were missing much,” Katriel said, self-deprecatingly, momentarily suffused with the memories of participating in the youth production of a Betazoid opera, both her own and her brother’s. “And I’m not sure if the director would have liked me so much if he’d known what I was thinking once, halfway through the season.”

“Oh? What was that?”

The counselor replaced the item she had been looking at – an artbook on the original Risian production of Lady Butterfly – before turning to look at Brian, her expression contemplative.

"It’s silly, but there was one time… you remember, me and the other girl I was with, we were posted at the very top of the scene scaffolding? So whenever we were waiting to go on, we had this view of the audience from way high above and I could see some of their faces, enjoying the show and generally expecting a smooth run.

“And… we were standing on this sparse metal catwalk, with barely any railing, so I had the thought that it wasn’t completely out of the realm of possibility that someone could have an accident or, even on purpose, hypothetically… fall all the way down and … you know, SPLAT on the stage.”

Brian’s eyebrows came up just a little bit. “Uh-huh. One of those really random morbid thoughts, I guess?”

“Idle minds go in weird directions,” Katriel hid her mild embarrassment behind a shrug. “Anyway, in that moment, when I was contemplating the absolute catastrophe that I could cause, I realized how much…” she paused as she tried to sort her thoughts in order. “It… was a moment where it finally crystallized for me how much agency I actually have, as a person. How all my choices are really my choices and my actions would have consequences and I could do things as people expected, or I could go counter to that and really ruin everything, at least for a little while.”

Her brother took a long several moments to digest what she was saying. “Well,” he finally said after a moment, “I’m glad you never decided to actually act on that agency in such a non-retractable way.”

“Pfft,” Katriel turned to continue down the aisle. “That was never a real possibility. Too quiet and on task, remember? Although I have to admit, I haven’t had a ton of moments since then that were like that.”

“Moments where… you felt like you were absolutely in control of your choices?” he wanted to clarify.

“Yeah. Mostly these days, I feel like…” she shrugged helplessly. “Like I am ever eternally following someone else’s script and how it’s hard or impossible to go off it.”

Brian methodically returned the Lyizana score to its place on the shelf. “I’m not sure that’s really the right way to look at it,” he said slowly. “Your path probably has had a lot more choices than you think. Just that when it comes time to make one, you’ve already determined what the right course of action is to get the result you want, so you go that way without even realizing there was a fork in the road.”

Katriel was silent for a long moment. She appeared to be scanning the shelves for interesting titles, but Brian could sense her mind turning over what he said. “Huh,” was all she said finally, in response. She didn’t sound convinced, but neither was she completely disbelieving.

The older Sedai sibling would take that for now. “Anyway, a cool find, but probably not the most appropriate opera for a ten year old.”

“No, but… this might be?” Katriel had alighted onto a new find and pulled a slightly thicker tome from the shelf. On the hardbound cover, the words Die Zauberflöte were printed in shiny silver calligraphy.

“Ohh, nice. Looks a little thick for a score, though?” Brian asked.

“I think it’s…” Katriel gently pried open the cover. They were both surprised when the inside pages were full of boldly-colored pictures to accompany what appeared to be the opera’s script and various stage directions. “An illustrated libretto,” Katriel marvelled. “See, introduces the characters, has all the major musical movements… and…” she turned to the back cover of the book, opening it from that end instead.

The final half an inch’s worth of pages were apparently not pages at all, but instead a hard shell containing a molded compartment, which housed a small portable audio player and data rod.

“It includes a full audio recording of the opera, so she could follow along,” Katriel realized outloud, feeling quite giddy at the find. “This is it, right?” she looked up at Brian for confirmation, that it wasn’t just her that found the libretto astonishing.

“Yeah, this is definitely it,” he agreed, but then went right on to revive a debate they must have been having before they came to the Emporium. “But you should still get her a stuffed lizard, too. I mean, c’mon. Who doesn’t love a plushie?”

Katriel was too enthralled with the libretto that she didn’t even roll her eyes. “Fine, fine, we’ll get her a lizard plushie, too.”

He was clearly on a roll. “… And then we should stop by Kabloom after that to get a Christmas tree!”

“Wh… what! Brian…”

“I’m just saying…

5 Likes

xxxix. out of time

I feel a little ridiculous, writing this with paper and pen. I am so unused to handwriting, too, that the very act feels a bit foreign. But I am feeling restless in a way that nothing else seems to solve, so here I am, trying Chassy’s advice.

I suppose we’ll see if it helps.

I am neither too busy nor too idle and there have been no major disasters or catastrophes to complicate things. Life is normal. Which is probably part of why this month seems to be just barely crawling by.

It feels a bit silly that I should be so melacholy. On an objective scale, we spend most of our time apart already and the tangible impact that your newest assignment has on me is unequivocally small. And yet, somehow, I feel the increased distance almost daily, like a weight on my shoulders.

… Anyway.

I received this gift from a fleet acquaintance. A ‘box of joys’, she called it, a tradition of her culture. Normally I think it’s a sentiment I could appreciate, but I am neither feeling very joyful currently, nor do I feel inclined to enumerate the fleeting sources of my happiness in this way. Still, it’s a nice gesture and a nicer container, so I feel compelled to utilize it, even if it’s not in the way the gifter intended.

Chassy suggested that I should write letters of what I wish I could say to you, so I will split the difference and fill the box with these instead.

Don’t mind that they are folded into boats. I had a strange dream and since then… well. I’ll explain it when … WHEN you come back.

Miss you dearly.

Nethali Aster snores like a woolly mammoth that has swallowed a warp core.

I ask myself why I keep inconveniencing myself for this woman, who often botches my counsel when she doesn’t outright scorn it, who disdains the way I see the universe and thinks my way of life is enormously boring. But what choice do I have, really? How can I walk away from someone who is so inordinately ill-equipped to take care of herself, especially when she has another life depending on her now?

I told Captain Konieczko that Nethali is a trap, that her charisma draws people in and once baited, they never escape. What I didn’t say was that I know this from my own experience. My reasons for being unable to escape Aster’s gravity well might be different from his, but they are no less hopeless. My profession demands that I help people and I have helped people with similar problems before. But she’d rather resist and flout, going for the instant gratification of a single marshmallow instead of waiting for the payoff of two.

I should know better by now, after years of dealing with this woman. Yet here she is again… in my living room.

Sometimes I think this is why I don’t usually get close to people, because if I had a lot of friends, I would feel compelled to help all of them, all the time. I am not good at looking out for myself, so I imagine I would wear myself thin helping others. I know not everyone needs help from me, but I can’t quite stop myself from going out of the way for those who do. Or seem like they do. Maybe it’s better to not get close enough to find out how I can help at all.

Good night, Matt. I miss you.

#??

::the folding on this paper boat seems significantly less professional than the others and has many more creases. the handwriting for the letter is also different from the rest::

Hey, Matt.

So I finally figured out what these paper boats and this box thing is for. Katriel wouldn’t tell me, but you can only watch her do it so many times without hazarding a guess or three. And now like any good, interfering older brother, upon discovering a direct line to my little sister’s boyfriend, I can’t quite resist the impulse to write something myself, even if it is going to be supremely time delayed.

I’m probably supposed to say something here about threatening your safety if you ever hurt her. (Stars know I used to get plenty of practice back at the Academy.) But this tactic is clearly going to be futile for a few reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you’re a fully trained MACO and I’m a humble agroscientist. So I’m just going to not go that way, if it’s all the same to you, and anyway I’m already well aware that you’re generally pretty good at making her happy. At least, when you’re not on a comms-silent mission from hell.

She’s had a couple rough weeks with your absence recently, but I think things are finally starting to turn around a bit. She’s joined that chamber ensemble and the rehearsals occupy her fairly well, so between that and work and me, she doesn’t have too much time on her own to mope. We also went to dinner for her birthday at a newish Ktarian restaurant on starbase, us two plus Neema. Not as cool as the jazz club we went to for MY birthday, but the food was fantastic and a real xenoethnic experience. Highly recommended when you get back.

::the letter continues on the back::

Can’t think of anything else that could be relevant and my hand is starting to cramp anyway. Looking forward to your safe return, if for no other reason than it making Katriel’s life (and therefore mine) a lot easier. If the Sirocco is still working out in Waydis at the time, I’ll be excited to finally meet you face to face, too. Maybe we can catch a game of pool or something? No firearms or sabres, just totally neutral ground. Honest.

Signing off,
Brian

::this letter has been written on the back of some extremely fine decorative paper::

I had an unsettling dream today.

Neema and I went to the sandbar. You remember which one, I imagine? Got some swimming in and then reading on shore. But I suppose I drifted off for a while. (I really need to find something else to read.)

You were on the shuttle Sioux and it was like I was watching you from afar. You were in the gamma quadrant, alone, and flying straight for the Bajoran wormhole. The Sioux was passing through an asteroid field and you had to use your (considerable) flying skills to avoid every obstacle, because the autopilot was broken. And you also had to swerve to avoid a small moon, then a Borg sphere and some starship wreckage. And another obstacle was a giant Risian powerboard which, of course, makes no sense, but it was a dream so it didn’t seem unusual at the time. (I suppose that was just an artifact of where I am, currently.)

I don’t know what you were running from, other than that it was bad. And the Sioux came up to the wormhole and was almost through when the opening of the wormhole suddenly shut, like a door closed on the tunnel passage, and the Sioux just flew straight into the closed door and dissolved into a million little pieces on impact. The next thing I know, I’ve gasped awake and Neema is staring over at me like I’ve grown a second head.

I know it’s just a dream. But I’ve never wanted to know so badly that you’re okay.

Please be okay.

You’re back.

I’m so relieved.

3 Likes

In the humming quiet of the Event Horizon lounge she sat, in her seat, at her table.

Katriel hadn’t been visiting the lounge very much as of late; her duties kept her mostly contained in the counseling block and she didn’t like to leave Griffin alone in her quarters too much. So these days, the Event Horizon primarily served as the place to meet Matt when he arrived on station each week. Though it was hard to abandon the workaholic habit completely, for the most part, the actions of crossing the threshold at the top of the ramp and taking a seat became synonymous with ‘clocking out’ for the night and along with that came permission to relax.

Tonight should have been no different. But instead her body felt like it was buzzing with agitated energy. She sat hunched forward in the chair, brooding over her lukewarm mug of tea, unconsciously bouncing her right knee up and down rapidly. Then she winced when she realized she was doing it and firmly set her feet flat on the floor, to prevent it.

The worst part was that Katriel was at a loss to explain what the cause of her restlessness even was. Her workload was starting to pile up some, with more tasks added than completed each day, but that was typical enough. She’d also had to deal with several difficult personnel, with some failures and some successes each, but again, no interaction seemed particularly beyond average. Then she had been in multiple critical meetings for most of the day, so had missed out on her typical workout/exercise window. That certainly couldn’t have helped, but it seemed unlikely to be the sole reason.

Katriel exhaled a small breath. Perhaps it was just the collected little stresses of all of the above, taking their toll? At least Matt would be here soon, he was always pretty effective at making everything else –

She nearly jumped as the man himself dropped heavily into the seat opposite her. So preoccupied with analyzing her own mental state that she’d missed him coming in and when she looked up to greet him, the words practically died on her lips.

“Hey you,” she said simply, staring at him, uncertain of what to say. Stormy was the word she would choose, to describe his mood.

“Hey,” he fought to present her with a smile, reflecting that reflexive instinct of not wanting her to worry. “I made it.”

“You did,” she agreed, giving him a tentative smile in return. “How… are you?”

It was a pointless question and they both knew it. Katriel could read the frustration roiling off him, the tightly corked multitude of emotions that he was trying to both express and contain. He opened and closed his mouth a couple times as he tried to come up with something to say, but nothing seemed adequate. Katriel waited, her brow furrowed minutely as she watched him.

“This is just one of those days where I really don’t like my job,” he said finally. He didn’t elaborate and Katriel didn’t ask him to. She looked around the lounge for a moment before deciding and getting to her feet.

“Come on. I have an idea.”

They went to the pool.

Katriel had learned a long time ago that Matt’s coping mechanisms were substantially different from her own and as much as she’d love to sit him down on a therapist’s couch and dissect every nuance of emotion, it wasn’t going to happen and it wouldn’t be productive besides. So she tried to do what she felt would be the next best thing: help him burn off his energy and just be quietly present.

The slightly chill water was nothing short of a godsend and when Katriel fully immersed herself in the chlorinated depths, she felt a sharp relief from her earlier agitated energy. It seemed to have a similar effect on her partner, though he didn’t indulge in it long before he started focusing on laps. She gave him ample physical space and freedom to set his own pace and let him get most of the way across the pool, before starting into her own meditative strokes.

Perhaps it was the pseudo-sensory deprivation-like sensation of being underwater. Or the rhythmic sound of the swimmers as they splashed and cut their way through the water. Or even the primal need to tightly monitor and control her oxygen intake. Whatever the reason, Katriel felt more able to think about nothing here, more grounded in the moment. Both more capable and more stripped bare.

In between her breaths for air, she took measure of what little she could of Matt’s maelstrom of emotions, but he simultaneously felt so many that the betazoid suspected that he, like her, had no single reason for the day’s boiling over. There was frustration for sure, at people, at things, at circumstances. There was anger at all the things beyond his control, hopelessness that they might always be that way, and guilt for not being more grateful for what he already had.

As it turns out, even for Katriel, there were still a few kinds of feelings that were just too big to contain with words and she ached a little at the realization that she couldn’t do more, here and now, for her favorite person. So the two of them just kept swimming, just kept swimming, just kept swimming, their strokes resolving to keep them afloat and if they were lucky, to scour clean their stresses away in the water behind them.

xviii. love

6 Likes

There were any number of other things she should be doing, but she went to the holodeck anyway.

There were any number of programs she could have loaded, but she chose the one that held no particular meaning and, up until now, held no particular comfort.

There were any number of feelings she could have indulged, but this was the one that demanded release now.

The synthesized rain came down in heavy sheets and would have drenched her entirely if it weren’t for the fabricated raincoat that had been replicated over her clothes. It somehow made things a little better, to have the exterior environment match the one she felt inside. She could hear the thin hum of hovercars in the distance and then almost scowled when she became cognizant of the thrumming trance beat of the game program’s background soundtrack.

“Computer, cut music,” she ordered and the holodeck quickly complied, leaving nothing but the ambient noise of rain and hovercar engines streaking by.

She stood like that for countless breathless moments, soaking in the numbing sensation of the rain on her frame. Her raincoat came with a hood, but it did precious little to keep her face dry. This, too, somehow made things a little better, though there was no one around to witness her crying regardless.

She made herself move after a while, briefly consulting the map on her wrist device. As per usual, the game had spawned her into the world not too far from where her HOVA was parked. Before she knew it, she was approaching the silver-painted vehicle and felt her eyes prick with discomfort when a metallic canine figure excitedly put its front paws up on the rear window from inside.

Her heart clenched, but she opened the door to the HOVA anyway, and out sprang the cybernetic greyhound, panting cheerfully at her, and rearing up to put its front paws on her chest in greeting. She let herself kneel on the wet ground, the creature coming down with, and she hugged the artificial beast tightly, as if it were her best friend.

And they stayed that way for a long, long while.

xix. tears

8 Likes

Even after more than a decade of living on the station, the ex-counselor had yet to visit every one of its 260 habitable decks.

And now it seemed like she might no longer get the chance. But there was one stop she felt compelled to make before the Reyga disembarked for its first assignment. It wasn’t as if she would never be back. But it would be different, it would feel different. Maybe not at first, maybe not even the first several times. But soon enough. Too soon enough.

In an effort to soften the blow, she’d made her way here to Deep Space 13’s “official” gift shop. Many times colleagues had mentioned it in passing, but Katriel had never deigned to visit. After all, she’d never known a need to before, as a resident who’d seen the station through eleven commanding admirals, seven base commanders, three changes in ownership of the promenade lounge, and one total personnel evacuation.

But now she did know. She had just never stopped to think about how there’d be a day where she would be … only a visitor.

There was no getting around it; the large shop was more than a little tacky. Still, it had the greatest (?) collection of random Deep Space 13 paraphernalia anywhere, so she stayed, prowling through the aisles and shelves, her idle gaze flowing over every item and detail. But more than once, her attention would catch on something and a memory or three would trigger.

A variety of gilded picture frames, with the station’s name and relief decorating the edges.

Could you... could you hold onto this for me?
I can't take it to... my appointment. I know, it's weird.

Rows of fountain pens, their barrels ranging in a multitude of colors, but all with the station’s name marked in cursive along their sides.

"Have, ah, you considered writing him- and I mean writing,
by hand- letters, about your daily goings on, for his return?
It will help, I think, to both, ah, pass the time,
and serve as a thorough recount of events."
"I'm rooting for you, counselor."

Transparent and spherical holiday tree ornaments, even though the current calendar date was nowhere near the holidays that would be typical for their display. Some contained the shape of the starbase, others the Starfleet delta insignia, and any number of other symbolic permutations.

"That your counseling technique is buttery smooth,
and if you'd ever care to be posted as Ship's Counselor to
2500 of Starfleet's best, you're welcome to join the Bold."

A set of souvenir drink glasses, visual matches for the ones used in the Event Horizon and some even bearing the name.

"Yeah.... you never answered my question earlier.
Dinner and Irish chocolate drinks for two."

Tall beer glasses bearing a much older logo that probably very few recognized at this point, for some venue called the Starlight Cantina.

"All I've wanted is some sort of equal companionship.
Along with some... purpose among things. I came... to you
in the first place in hopes I could... become a better person.
I wanted to try and become good or... at least something more."

Here was a tall stack of leatherbound journals, in assorted dark colors with stamped 38th Fleet or DS13 facility seals on the front. Notetaking this way was truly out of fashion, but Katriel thought she’d seen a few of these around in artists’ hands.

"Never said you weren't. Just always noted a tightly
reserved nature, was interesting to see it pushed aside."

On the books, Katriel was officially working in her new capacity as executive officer, her appointment with counseling formally ended and office depressingly vacant. But outside of the piles of personnel files, readiness and supply checklists, and other bureaucratic fixations, she remained in transition. She hadn’t quite finished moving out of her quarters yet, but she’d emptied out enough of her keepsakes and necessities that it barely resembled the space she had made her home, and she felt keenly untethered. Like she didn’t belong anywhere.

There was a row of small baskets on the table here, each filled with piles of knickknacks. In this one sat several dozen permanently corked glass vials. Each one was no larger than a thumb and contained a paltry amount of real dilithium crystal flakes. Too small a quantity to be of any use, but enough to be a tangible memento of the starbase’s beating matter/antimatter heart, where the tags claimed the contents were from.

"There are a lot of words other languages have
that ours don't. But yes, love is one of them, t'eh."

In the basket one over, a hodgepodge collection of souvenir coins: some with reliefs of the starbase, others with 38th Fleet seals.

"Force is necessary, whenever you want to....
Make something at rest move, or make
something moving change its movement.
We all apply force to almost anything we do."

A novelty gavel, crafted out of cheap plywood, paired with a matching sound block whose surface was embossed with the JAG Corps seal.

"I make it a point to pay attention to individuals who have
the authority to ground me from my ship should they so see it fit."

Inside a long glass display sat a large array of daggers, although on closer inspection, they appeared to just be letter openers, designed to look like Romulan dathe’anofv-sen.

"I can see what you're trying to do, Kat. It's admirable,
but I can't forgive that little troll what he's done."

And then there were some openers shaped like Klingon d’k tahgs, too.

"This has been… liberating. I was not sure that anyone
would understand… anyone who was not Klingon, I mean,
and I could not possibly speak so freely to another Klingon.
I should have come to you sooner, but I am glad that I came at all."

One table was just completely covered in fragrant candles, in a whole plethora of scents and even more shapes, including a cheeky wax imitation of the embassy level’s infamous real fireplace.

"But...but shadow bunnies would be great for counseling!"
"One day, we had a bit of a...disagreement. ...a certain Captain's desk
may or may not have been vaporized, and, well, I changed career paths."
"I appreciate hearing your opinion. And I'd continue to
in the future ... I really do value what you have to say."

She had agreed with Captain Kermit’s mad proposition, but she never realized it’d be so painful to actually go through with. Even though James had been right to suggest she wouldn’t have put her name down on a list for a change if she wasn’t ready for one, it didn’t lessen the feeling that it had all been a mistake now. What does one do when the right decision incurs so much suffering that it feels like the wrong one?

The truth was that she’d been suffering quietly for much longer, just in less noticeable degrees. She’d neglected her own personal growth and development in favor of what was comfortable and known. She had minded only her current responsibilities and obligations, rather than seek out new challenges. And she let herself be bound by nostalgia, with her surroundings saturated with so many pre-existing routines and memories that there was no room left to make new ones.

Several racks of plushies beamed cheerfully from the corner. Foxbirds, epohhs (dressed in uniforms, no less), caracals and dinosaurs.

"Rawr." "Rawr rawr?" "Raaaaaawr."
"Rawr rawr rawr rawr." "Raaaaawr rawrrawr."

An elegant tabletop mirror, whose silver and purple frame was molded and styled in the fashion of a ground version Iconian Gateway.

"For a civilization to achieve that level of power, they had to have learned
so much in the process. And when I learn about the universe, it fills me with
a deep respect for it. So, I think the only way a people could know so much
and still want to destroy those lesser than them, something like a
miscommunication must have occurred, yes."

This next aisle was exclusively wearable souvenirs. Katriel couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to actually purchase those oversized cowboy hats, DS13 seal or no.

"This isn't fair, it's like she can read my mind or something!"
"She is a betazoid, you lobeless lummox!"

Or any of these department logo novelty socks.

"I will see if I can attend this month's.
Even if it means I have to applaud a Vulcan.
But then, a bit of praise for one's potential nemesis
is important, no? ... Yes, that was a slight joke."

She really wasn’t sure who these black leather boxing gloves would appeal to, with the security department’s seal printed in red on the backhand surface.

"This has just been what's been dominating my thoughts for the
recent while. It's caused strife internally and externally with friends ...
I responded and she thinks I don't trust her. I firmly believe
I was just doing my duty. It's led to this whole thing. "

But Katriel grudgingly admitted the rack of solid-colored Odyssey uniform jackets, harkening back to an older Argo uniform design, were pretty neat. That had always been her favorite design. They even had a green one, even though that color had long been retired.

"As one of the first few whom I was lucky enough to converse with on joining
the Task Force, it's hard to find a negative thing in the Lieutenant's career."
"Everything okay, Katriel? I... I'm still a little unsure
why we're here, exactly. My office isn't all that special."
"Very few things would make me happier. It would be
beyond a pleasure to do so, especially for such a friend."

For her, there may be no way to know if taking this new position on the Reyga was the right choice, in the end. But at least it held the promise of something different. It was a blank slate to be drawn on. And maybe what she’d produce would be terrible, but at least there would be something new on the page.

When she turned the corner into the next aisle, she almost squeaked in surprise as she came face to face with a familiar likeness. Commander Caspius’s frowning visage printed on cardboard packaging, the contents of which appeared to be … a baton?

"During that time you have distinguished yourself in performing
your duty in a way which has attracted the favourable attention
of several commanders. If I may avoid being accused of doing
your job for you, a lack of confidence in yourself appears,
after such accomplishments, to be misdirected."

Below this display sat a large wicker basket appeared to contain nothing but toy versions of various Starfleet equipment: plastic phasers, chirping tricorders, stress ball-like squishy hyperspanners, et cetera.

"Unlikely. My discomfort does not arise from any judgment
your ethics as an individual. I analyze systems, and in the system
we have been exploring, I observe an incentive to behave unethically.
You yourself may resist it. Others might succumb to temptation.
So long as the incentive remains, I will be ill at ease."

Sticking out from the top of a large ground vase was a collection of mid-sized flags, stitched with a variety of brands, from squadron logos to the Argo seal to broader designations of Starfleet branches, like the UFP laurels and stars.

"I spoke with Commander Isohlah earlier today, but I understand that you're
quite a bit more involved with other aspects of the station and our Task Force."
"Resolutions in boring, willing powder.
Fifteen targs, transporting nervous drops."
"I didn't agree to wind up looking like a cotton-candy lollipop!"

Here was a large table with more expensive models, collector’s pieces that were each individually locked in a glass case. She’d never be interested in affording one of these, but they were beautiful to look at, like this replica of an old Grecian longship, along the side of which was etched ‘THE ARGO’ in gold calligraphy.

"I have to confess that I've never had much affection for counselors. It never
seemed to me any of them could tell me something I didn't know. It's different
with you. I can't tell *you* anything you don't know about what I'm thinking, can I?"

Or that elaborate desktop model of a DS13 peregrine fighter.

"..yeh, tha's what I figured. A'right, cuttin' t' th' chase,
then. I need jer 'elp forging up some medical records."

Prism paperweights made of glass, crafted and shaped in just such a way that the letters ‘DS13’ could be read in silhouette as pale rainbows reflected on the wall.

"Yeah, for sure. It's hard for me to describe though. I... see something like a
color, I guess? It doesn't last long either, but it's happening more and more
often. At first just my parents, but now it's quite a bit more people. Normally a
darker color means they are angry, or something like that. It's not exact."

It was near here that her eyes finally alighted on the prize she’d take with her. Ranged out on a shelf was a row of snow globes and one stood out beyond all the rest.

The base was obsidian and a detailed little model of Deep Space 13 sat suspended in the transparent liquid with no visible assistance. The tiny windows on the structure pulsed intermittently with warm light and two holographic starships orbited like electrons around and around the nucleic station. When the globe was shaken, specks of glittering silver fluttered and spun, enveloping the lonely starbase in an evershifting space-scape of stars.

The sight almost made her tear up and she shook her head rapidly with a sniff to clear the sentimental cobwebs out of her mind. How long had she been in this stars-forsaken store!? She didn’t quite feel ready to leave, but that would always be true, wouldn’t it?

As she waited in line at the register, one final display of items caught her attention and she had to do her best to stifle a chuckle at the bobbleheads on display.

"Stop when one of their flock expires...Brain 17% smaller percentage
than body mass compared to other birds on my planet. Still...
stop to mourn. Intriguing. Decided, must be important."

Katriel’s mirth faded a little as she considered the memory and the wisdom once dispensed by a little lieutenant administrative coordinator. Mourning is right. Though her story and her adventures might continue on elsewhere, her story aboard the station would be ending here.

She bought two.

DS13 Gift Shop.
8 Likes

It’s a little surreal to be so much closer to the action.

The station, of course, has always been on the edge of the frontier and has had its share of, we’ll say, excessively exciting moments. But starship life is … different. Less remote. We can get tasked quite suddenly and then we’re there, contributing our resources, equipment, personnel. Or should that be ‘risking’ our personnel?

It’s going to take some adjusting to.

In the meantime, James and I are continuing to chug away at the mammoth task of trying to turn this frankenstein of a roster into a functional patchwork quilt. You would think years of experience at running teambuilding efforts on station would be more useful here, but our first attempt at a holo-sim drill turned out to be extraordinarily anticlimactic. I do feel a bit disappointed, but that’s only to be expected. After spending so many weeks putting everything together, I suppose I was hoping to finally see some of that work in action. Though when I put it like that, maybe I did see it after all.

There are a few familiar faces, but most are new to me. Our chief of engineering has had an uneventful career thus far, but he’s collected a few commendations, so he was one of the easier selections. Unexpectedly, when I met him finally, he might be a shade more in tune with his emotions than the typical Vulcan, maybe?

Trade this off with our chief of security. ::she falls silent, like she just has no idea what she wants to say. finally she continues:: James has asked me to watch her a bit more carefully, given what we know and what we’ve seen so far. Not that I had to be asked, but it’s certainly a situation where what we read in the records didn’t really … uh, do the real thing justice, so to speak.

Chief medical officer Castillo also has a bit of a spotty record, of course, but he’s had ample service time in the fleet since then and, as far as I’m concerned, has built a confident amount of distance between him and that checkered history. I recall evaluating him once, towards the beginning of his arrival, but not much more than that. This as opposed to our senior ops officer who was on duty when we had our calibration accident, and whom I recognized for his notoriously skittish behavior during the very last evaluation I performed on station. Fortunately he’s significantly more in command of himself when it comes to duty, so that’s a small relief.

And then there’s a handful of officers I’ve observed or seen in passing, but not enough to formulate much of an opinion. The flight control officer who was a bit nervous coming on for her first shift, but handled herself well enough when she needed to fly in some rather close quarters. The rigelian engineer who … is … … well, she’ll be a handful, I suppose. And Ensign Ban who had barely any materials for us to review seems competent enough, but … perhaps sometimes shows a little too much initiative in some instances. Which is saying something, because I generally admire those who don’t hesitate.

::she exhales a pursed sigh:: It’s … a lot to deal with. As if learning the job isn’t enough, I have to basically pretend I’m not an introvert all the time and get to know all these new faces, too. I had years to get adjusted to all the personalities on station and changes were gradual in all that time. And now… it’s like… no, it is essentially starting from scratch.

… Which reminds me, I’ve been so busy making sure all the other departments on the ship have what they need to run smoothly that I haven’t yet had time to meet all my science officers yet. That’s my next project, I guess.

You better be winning in your training exercise! This long an absence is inexcusable otherwise.

10 Likes

Their farewell ritual had adapted to starship life easily enough.

When Katriel had still lived aboard the station, the walk to the shuttle docking bays was typically too far to be really practical, so they usually said goodbye in her quarters (if she didn’t have to head into work yet) or in the turbolift just before she got off.

Now on the Reyga, she could typically accompany Matt all the way to the main shuttle bay and they’d stand on the upper catwalk overlooking the hangar, exchanging a (proper) goodbye hug and a fond (but admittedly sometimes absent) kiss on the cheek. When she had a little more time on her hands, like she did this morning, she could linger there and watch him board his shuttle.

She’d never fully shaken the wistful feeling that always accompanied these departures, but long gone were the days where the impending physical separation was actually almost painful. Years of practice and their legally-cemented status had habituated the comfort and assurance of ‘next time’ into her bones. With him formally out of the field, too, his assignments generally no longer rated for any high or even moderate level expected risk, and he would most likely never need to deploy again.

Life was – is – good, as they say. But was it the end of the story?

For two people who were so much on the same page about most things that mattered, it remained a little remarkable to consider how separate their lives still were. When Matt took on his relatively permanent administrative posting on K-7, they’d been able meet up more often than ever, but some of the other typical entanglements of married life had yet to materialize. For the most part this was deliberate, of course; they had both agreed that neither of them were interested in dividing their attention between roving Starfleet/MACO careers and family life, so until they were both ready to give up the former, they would not pursue expanding the latter.

Katriel exhaled a small sigh as the shuttle zipped through the bay’s forcefield and vanished beyond the turn of the ship, where she could no longer see. She turned towards the catwalk exit.

Life was full of such trade-offs, she reflected ruefully. If there was any reason to regret accepting the career advancement, it was this, and though she really wasn’t in any hurry to become a parent, she did feel a shred of disappointment that they wouldn’t get to embark on a new emotional journey together just yet.

It wasn’t that she was dissatisfied with the depth or security of their current connection; she just didn’t want to start taking it for granted. Though this new Reyga assignment was sure to push her to her utmost limits, it was mostly her challenge to deal with, on the face of it. And Katriel kind of wanted something that was … theirs?

Ideally something that’d last a bit longer than a pillow fort made of moving boxes. Not that that hadn’t been a whole bucket of stars’ worth of fun.

It merited some thought, she felt as she stepped into the turbolift. But first she had to get through this planetary survey. Then maybe shore leave would inspire her with some ideas.

xxv. breaking away

6 Likes
"Okay, set the scene for me. Go!"
"Well... I'm heading towards the over-water dwellings, the ones in the back of the resort. The sun's just started to set. There's a strong breeze bringing the overall temperature down by a few degrees, which means that if I am being really nitpicky, it's a tiny bit too chilly for me, but probably perfect for you."
"I do like an ocean breeze!"
"I ... have a drink. Number four off the drink menu. It's called an 'Island Nocturne' and has ... umm, rum and some kind of fruit puree and.... elderflower ... liqueur? and some other stuff. I forget already. But it's pretty good, actually. Fruity, but not overly so."
::he gives off a jealous groan::
"Remind me to try that next year."
"I'm walking along the shore, right where the water's edge is foaming up on the sand, so my feet are getting sandy. Oh, and I got my toenails painted."
"Oh yeah? What color?"
"Mmm... kind of... a bunch of pastels. All blended together, like watercolors. I'll take a picture for you later."
"Can't wait. How ya been passing the days?
Spending much time with the fleet?"
"A little. I met up with Neema a couple times, of course, but she's been spending most of her time with Coby, so I'm trying not to third wheel there too much. I've seen some familiar faces and ... some not so familiar faces at fleet functions. And even some of the other Reyga crew. But I guess I'm mostly doing things on my own. A lot of swimming and diving, of course."
"Of course."
"And sleeping. I actually..." ::her tone takes on an embarrassed cast:: "I actually overslept one of my reservations and missed it entirely. Was going to try a kayaking tour of the mangrove river, but ... yeah. Oops."
"Aww, that sounds like it could have been cool.
You stayed up too late staring at the stars, huh?"
"Something like that, I suppose. Oh, but I found this new sushi place built right on the water! It's such a cute locale and the lead chef is... well, a Gorn. And they have this ... ocean-to-table tour, thing? Where they invite tourists to help harvest seafood, or even harpoon fishing if you're feeling confident --"
"Whaaaat! I want to do that next year, too!"
"-- and then they show you how it's prepared and served in the restaurant. I collected some abalone and kelp and made some ... really sad looking rolls, but I did make them."
"I bet they were great! And they'll be
even better when *I* catch the fish for them!"
::dryly:: "You fish, I prep. The perfect team."
::he laughs:: "Always. I'm sorry I couldn't
come with you this summer."
"Me too. It's no fun without ... well, not no fun, but substantially less fun without you."
"Well this conference is definitely no fun without you,
and even with you, it'd be barely --"
::a sharp, surprised inhale of breath::
"Katriel? Everything okay?"
"I found a sea turtle. On the beach."
"Oh, wow! A ... live one? You gasped so maybe it's ..."
"No, definitely alive. She's stuck on her back."
"Ohhh. Push her over!"
"I... I'll try."
"... Hey there, big girl. Oop, watch that flipper. Yeah... you're so tired, huh? I'm going to try to help, okay? Okay." ::a pause, before her audible grunts of effort can be heard:: "Oh stars, you are heavy. I can barely budge her. A portable tractor beam would really be handy right now."
"They do get pretty big. Anything you can lever her with?"
"No... but... I have a towel. Maybe I can get it under her and just ... drag her to the water?"
"Worth a shot!"
"Please don't hit me, turtle, ma'am. Okay, I'm tucking the towel underneath her on one side and coming around to the other and --" ::hnngggg:: "Yes! Yes, I can edge her onto it bit by bit, I think."
"Nice!"
"Phew, if I hadn't already been swimming everyday, this would've counted for my workout the entire leave, I think. Okay, I have her on. Let me see if I can ..."
"... Is it working?"
::hnnggg:: "It is! Yes, we're getting down to the water. Almost to the tide line." ::there's a few seconds of silence and then abruptly the sound of something heavy being dragged along wet sand. her words are punctuated by tired panting:: "Almost ... there ..."
"You got this!"
"This towel is going to be worthless after this."
"You are sacrificing it for the greater good, for sure."
"Okay. It got a lot easier to pull, now that we're in the water. I have to go in way more to get deep enough to submerge her, though. Glad I'm wearing a suit."
"Katriel, the champion of turtles!"
::she laughs:: "Maybe just... the turtle mover. There!" ::the sound of flippers smacking the water as, ostensibly, the creature awkwardly manages to flip her massive weight over, with the help of water's reduced gravity:: "She's done it! Now she's swimming out. No worse for the wear, it seems. I'm relieved."
"Lucky for her that you were there!"
"Lucky for me, too! I've done a lot of fun things on this leave, but this beats all of them by far." ::a joyful laugh bubbles free from her:: "And I even got to share it with you!"
"Lucky for all three of us, then!"

((Backdated by few days.))

7 Likes

The gift was wholly unexpected.

Katriel sat back in her seat, her mind full with a whirlwind of thought, memory, and emotion. After receiving her gift from the fleet holiday exchange, she had quite honestly rushed her way back to her quarters on the Reyga to dig through her old communications. The painting was unmistakable and the betazoid had recognized it right away, but never expected to find it in her own hands one day.

On the other hand, intended or not, it made the identity of her ‘Santa’ easy to track down, assuming the painting hadn’t exchanged hands since it was won. There in her communications archive, she found the memorandum that had been circulated to all the auction participants.

Katriel shook her head with some bewilderment. Why part with a painting that the then-Lieutenant-now-Commander had – ahem – fought so hard for? Had she grown dissatisfied with it? Or did she simply think that the former-counselor would appreciate it more? The mystery of why was almost as interesting a gift as the painting itself.

She studied the brush strokes of the painting as it lay on her desk. The truth was that this piece, when it was made, had not spoken to her. But now as she contemplated the colors and the shapes, she felt a small suffusion of gratitude. For that first charity auction, Katriel had been personally involved with volunteers to generate the neural art that had been put up for sale. So whether or not the Commander had intended it, the art piece represented some of Katriel’s work on the station, and it had been work that she had loved.

So it may have taken three years of age and distance, but she now, too, loved this painting.

(Even if Matt was going to call it crazy abstract nonsense. Maybe she could convince him that it was of a fish?)

This is definitely going in my office, she decided. She turned to her console again to start shopping for a worthy picture frame.

10 Likes

// New Yukon Moon, Werwick System
// Northern Resort C
// Pod A-12
// AI OPERATIONAL LOG

48.0000:00 ~/ Sol Day 48 backup initiated.

48.0000:02 ~/ Sol Day 48 backup completed.

48.1523:43 ~/ Mainframe Access: New occupants registered.
Svenson, Matthew - Client Number: 77362
Sedai, Katriel - Client Number: 84412

48.1532:12 ~/ Door access detected: “Welcome Svenson, Matthew. Please enter your door access code in the panel below.”

48.1532:28 ~/ ****** ERROR: “Incorrect code.”

48.1532:36 ~/ ****** ERROR: “Incorrect code.”

48.1532:59 ~/ Door access detected: “Welcome Sedai, Katriel. Please enter your door access code in the panel below.”

48.1533:31 ~/ ****** Door lock disengaged. “Access granted. Welcome to your personal retreat pod, A-12. Ambient room temperature is 20.5 degrees celsius. Sunset is at 5:43 PM local time. Current aurora forecast for tonight is ‘HIGH’. Please enjoy your stay at New Yukon Retreats!”

48.1541:04 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Changing client 84412 personal response name from ‘Sedai, Katriel’ to ‘Katriel’. Welcome Katriel. We hope you find our accommodations enjoyable and refreshing during your stay.”

48.1542:42 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Changing client 77362 personal response name from ‘Svenson, Matthew’ to ‘That most awesome cool dude’. Welcome That most awesome cool dude. We hope you find our accommodations enjoyable and refreshing during your stay.”

48.1543:03 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Changing client 77362 personal response name from ‘That most awesome cool dude’ to ‘Matt the dork’. Welcome Matt the dork. We hope you find our accommodations enjoyable and refreshing during your stay.”

48.1543:29 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Changing client 77362 personal response name from ‘Matt the dork’ to ‘Matt’. Welcome Matt. We hope you find our accommodations enjoyable and refreshing during your stay.”

48.1558:16 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Dome opacity set to 50%.”

48.1619:43 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 1.”

48.1620:28 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 2.”

48.1620:59 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 3.”

48.1621:02 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 2.”

48.1622:16 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Entree selection: Steak and potatoes, with side salad, selected. Ranch dressing on the side, added.”

48.1622:10 ~/ Replicator A-12: synthesizing menu item 83921 mod 2.

48.1622:13 ~/ “Your meal is ready in the replicator tray. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

48.1624:22 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Entree selection: Filet mignon with greens on rice pilaf.”

48.1624:22 ~/ Replicator A-12: synthesizing menu item 49001.

48.1622:23 ~/ “Your meal is ready in the replicator tray. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

48.1719:45 ~/ Replicator A-12; auto-detect. De-synthesizing initiated.

48.1719:46 ~/ Replicator A-12; de-synthesizing completed.

48.1941:01 ~/ Shower protocols initiated. Internal humidity level: 71%. Washroom dehumidification procedures initiated.

48.2001:40 ~/ Internal humidity level: 53%. Washroom dehumidification procedures ceased.

48.2043:21 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Setting internal ambient lighting to 35%. Initiating playlist: ‘Romantic Instrumental Vibes, volume 4.’”

48.2108:17 ~/ “Aurora viewing alert. Current aurora viewing is at 100% for your pod location. Aurora forecast is expected viewing level of ‘GOOD’ for the next 4 hours. We hope your stay at New Yukon Retreats offers you unparalleled views of this atmospheric phenomenon.”

48.2108:29 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Dome opacity set to 0%. Internal ambient lighting set to 0%.”

48.2138:23 ~/ Ambient detection of elevated heart rate from client 84412 and 77362. “Caution. Our system has detected unexpected elevated heart rate levels in occupants. Would you like our staff to alert medical serv–”

48.2138:25 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Personal health monitoring has been discontinued. Monitoring will resume in 4 hours.”

48.2138.31 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Personal health monitoring has been discontinued for the remainder of your stay. We hope you enjoy your stay at New Yukon Retreats.”

49.0000:00 ~/ Sol Day 49 backup initiated.

49.0000:02 ~/ Sol Day 49 backup completed.

49.0700:00 ~/ Wake-up procedures initiated. Internal ambient lighting set to 75%. ‘Soothing Forestscape’ ambient music started. “Good morning Katriel and Matt. We hope you --”

49.0700:04 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Snooze mode engaged. We will postpone wake-up procedures for another 30 minutes. Enjoy your extra sleep.”

49.0700:04 ~/ Internal ambient lighting set to 0%. Ambient music ceased.

49.0730:00 ~/ Wake-up procedures initiated. Internal ambient lighting set to 75%. ‘Soothing Forestscape’ ambient music started. “Good morning Katriel and Matt. We hope you enjoyed your restful night’s sleep at New Yukon Retreats.”

49.0734:54 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Dome opacity set to 50%.”

49.0739:29 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Displaying replicator breakfast menu page 1.”

49.0740:01 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Entree selection: Blueberry pancakes, one egg over hard, 4 strips of bacon. Coffee with extra cream.”

49.0740:01 ~/ Replicator A-12: synthesizing menu items 59137, 73362, 00159, 00015.

49.0740:02 ~/ “Your meal is ready in the replicator tray. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

49.0743:09 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Displaying replicator breakfast menu page 1.”

49.0744:21 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Displaying replicator breakfast menu page 2.”

49.0744:57 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Entree selection: Orange french toast, mixed fruit cup.”

49.0744:57 ~/ Replicator A-12: synthesizing menu items 59137, 33710.

49.0744:58 ~/ “Your meal is ready in the replicator tray. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

49.0756:15 ~/ Replicator A-12; auto-detect. De-synthesizing initiated.

49.0756:16 ~/ Replicator A-12; de-synthesizing completed.

49.0757:54 ~/ Inquiry acknowledged 84412: “Your first scheduled event is a couple’s massage at the steam house at 09:15 AM local time. Your second event is lunch at the glacier park between 12:00-1:00 PM local time, followed by a yagga-hound sled ride at 1:00 PM local time.”

49.0758:29 ~/ Inquiry acknowledged 84412: “The anticipated high temperature today is 7 degrees celsius at 2:00 PM local time.”

49.0837:29 ~/ Door access detected: “Farewell Matt. Please enter your door access code in the panel below to lock the door.”

49.0838:31 ~/ ****** ERROR: “Incorrect code.”

49.0838:37 ~/ ****** Door lock engaged: “Your pod is secured. We hope you enjoy your stay at New Yukon Retreats.”

49.1200:00 ~/ Sol Day 49 internal room cleaning protocols initiated.

49.1223:47 ~/ Sol Day 49 internal room cleaning protocols completed.

49.1303:05 ~/ Holo-message received for 84412.

49.1712:54 ~/ Door access detected: “Welcome Katriel. Please enter your door access code in the panel below.”

49.1713:01 ~/ ****** Door lock disengaged. “Access granted. Welcome back. Ambient room temperature is 20.5 degrees celsius. Sunset is at 5:44 PM local time. Current aurora forecast for tonight is ‘MEDIUM’ with potential cloud cover. You have one unread message from CAPT Kermit, James. Please enjoy your stay at New Yukon Retreats!”

49.1714:15 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Transferring holo-message to bedroom display.”

49.1721:01 ~/ Command acknowledged 77364: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 1.”

49.1721:03 ~/ Command acknowledged 77364: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 2.”

49.1721:06 ~/ Command acknowledged 77364: “Displaying replicator dinner menu page 3.”

49.1721:10 ~/ Command acknowledged 77364: “Error: No more pages. Would you like to hear about the New Yukon Retreats dinner special featuring local cuisine and ingredients?”

49.1721:22 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Tonight’s three course special starts with a hearty pakuelk stew simmered with root vegetables, followed by the New Yukon seafood medley, with lemon-garlic linguine and steamed green beans. For dessert, a choice of Baked Yukon Surprise or Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee.”

49.1722:41 ~/ Command acknowledged 77364: “Order confirmed for the dinner special with Baked Yukon Surprise. It will take approximately ten minutes to be delivered from the main lodge kitchen. Would you like to play the New Yukon Retreats Official Trivia game while you wait?”

49.1724:16 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Question 1: New Yukon Retreats specializes in unforgettable accommodations for visitors to observe our frequent aurora events. What causes the stunning colors of the aurora borealis?”

49.1725:47 ~/ “Correct! Matt has earned 1 point. Question 2: New Yukon Retreats’ lodging pods were designed by which award-winning Andorian architect? A) Kyran ch’Aqillath, B) Aranev th’Qohlorh, C) Hanari th’Teloss?”

49.1730:22 ~/ “Correct! Katriel has earned 1 point. Question 3: What famous United Federation of Planets politician came to stay at New Yukon Retreats for a full week in 2410?”

49.1732:59 ~/ Door access detected: “Your dinner special has arrived. Please approach the door to initiate dinner delivery procedures.”

49.1736:23 ~/ “Dinner special delivery has been completed. You may use your pod’s replicator to dispose of dishes when you are done. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

49.1856:35 ~/ Replicator A-12; auto-detect. De-synthesizing initiated.

49.1856:36 ~/ Replicator A-12; de-synthesizing completed.

49.1934:01 ~/ Shower protocols initiated. Internal humidity level: 59%. Washroom dehumidification procedures initiated.

49.1935:10 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Initiating steam bath application. Washroom dehumidification protocol paused.”

49.2032:12 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Ending steam bath application. We hope you enjoyed the in-room steam bath amenities, the luxury comfort service exclusive to New Yukon Retreats lodging pods (patent pending).”

49.2032:44 ~/ Internal humidity level: 94%. Washroom dehumidification procedures initiated.

49.2102:22 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Setting internal ambient lighting to 35%.”

49.2107:18 ~/ Internal humidity level: 53%. Washroom dehumidification procedures ceased.

49.2158:25 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Dome opacity set to 0%. Internal ambient lighting set to 0%.”

50.0000:00 ~/ Sol Day 49 backup initiated

50.0000:01 ~/ Sol Day 49 backup completed

50.0800:00 ~/ Wake-up procedures initiated. Internal ambient lighting set to 75%. ‘Soothing Forestscape’ ambient music started. “Good morning Katriel and Matt. Standard checkout time is 10:30 AM local time at the latest; however, your shuttle departure from Aeroplaza D is scheduled for 10:00 AM local time. It is recommended you leave the pod by 9:40 AM local time to make your flight. We hope you enjoyed your restful night’s sleep at New Yukon Retreats.”

50.0801:04 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Dome opacity set to 50%.”

50.0859:09 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Displaying replicator breakfast menu page 1.”

50.0902:32 ~/ Command acknowledged 84412: “Entree selection: Crumpets with butter and mixed fruit cup.”

50.0902:32 ~/ Replicator A-12: synthesizing menu items 96572, 33710.

50.0902:33 ~/ “Your meal is ready in the replicator tray. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

50.0902:15 ~/ Command acknowledged 77362: “Entree selection: English muffin with butter and mixed fruit cup.”

50.0902:51 ~/ Replicator A-12: synthesizing menu items 91943, 33710.

50.0902:52 ~/ “Your meal is ready in the replicator tray. We hope you enjoy your selection.”

50.0926:25 ~/ Replicator A-12; auto-detect. De-synthesizing initiated.

50.0926:26 ~/ Replicator A-12; de-synthesizing completed.

50.0931:31 ~/ Door access detected: “Farewell Matt. Please enter your door access code in the panel below to lock the door.”

50.0931:39 ~/ ****** Door lock engaged: “Pod A-12 is secured. Your reservation’s access codes have been revoked. Thank you for vacationing with New Yukon Retreats. We hope you enjoyed your stay.”

50.1200:00 ~/ Sol Day 50 internal room cleaning protocols initiated.

50.1200:01 ~/ BlitzProtocol-(%&$@,-hyp’erlink*.^$). . link…. OSS Queen’s Take )%#<! established… … data transmission commencing… )%@#+|!>?!% … transmission complete…+!:#&… Initiating log scrub. $^#$ERROR:CODE1836$*@#$&… log scrub failure.

50.1231:57 ~/ Sol Day 50 internal room cleaning protocols completed.

((mostly written by Matt the dork Matt’s player. thank you!!))

4 Likes