qq Enjin

A temporary 'shoutbox' for all our qqing needs, because I suspect there is going to be a lot of it in the upcoming days while we work out what we'll be doing.
Enjin support wrote:
Kris (Enjin Support)
Jun 18 05:19 PM

Hi Katriel,

Google Adsense suspended Enjin's account due to the shoutbox and HTML modules found on Free plan pages (They do not allow chat related modules with ads). We had no choice but to remove it. The HTML module was also heavily abused by scammers and was a security risk on the Free plan.

The Free plan is maintained via advertising revenue, therefore we must abide by Google's Adsense policy to keep the Free plan viable. We will review other features and potentially enable some extra modules to compensate for the loss of the shoutbox and HTML module.

Best regards,
Kris

http://www.enjin.com/forums/page/1/m/10826/viewthread/13383492-shoutbox-html-no-longer-free
Errr.... I'm not internet-smart enough to know exactly what this all means.

I'm getting that the shout boxes are gone. What are "HTML modules"?

So, does this mean we won't have these features back, ever... for the free plan?

Also, what is "Google Adsense"?

If I were using firefox, would I have this problem?

Lastly, is this Google or Enjin being jerkholes? Just like to know where to direct my.... frustration.

Thanks for the info Kat.
:( The roster...
wrote:

Lastly, is this Google or Enjin being jerkholes? Just like to know where to direct my.... frustration.

Not actually sure on the other gubbins, but a website I follow had some trouble with Adsense a little while back so I know a bit on that topic.

Basically, Adsense is a Google service where they run ads on a website, and the site owner gets money for every view/click the ad gets, with a cut going to google. Adsense ads are going to show up for you regardless of your browser, unless you've got some kind of adblocker (not that I would endorse that sort of thing hint hint wink hint). Putting adsense on your site means that you have to abide by certain regulations of your content, since advertisers probably don't want certain things on the internet to be associated with their brand, although I'm not really sure what their issue with HTML is. I'm guessing in the current situation, Enjin has to have the ad revenue come in to keep free sites afloat, pulling the ads means losing what is probably a decent portion of their income, so their choosing to abide by Google's strange policy and kneecapping the functionality of the free sites rather than having to drop them altogether. So, Google, I guess, is who you need to be frustrated at.
Thanks google...
I would totally donate money to a 'Keep TFA's Website Kickass' fund.
::puts on her nerd glasses and cracks her knuckles once::

Spoiler: Spoilerboxed because I'm good at ranting about internet techShow
>> I'm getting that the shout boxes are gone. What are "HTML modules"?

HTML modules are basically every little box you see on the Enjin site that isn't directly related to the forums or the homepage "news" stuff. So if you'll look, the box in the lower left used to have the staff listing, affiliates listing, and charity box... that's now gone.

We also had basic fleet rules (linked at the top) in an HTML module, as well as the roster, so if you go to those pages, you'll see the same messaging. The stuff on the RESOURCES page also USED to be modules, but obviously are not currently.

[edit] Started to do some replacements... fleet rules are now in a different type of module, so they're showing up as normal. Will continue doing this for the simpler content boxes where possible, but things like Roster and Timeline will require a slightly more sophisticated ... hack.

>> So, does this mean we won't have these features back, ever... for the free plan?

So... it's important to recognize that there were two changes that happened, even if it looks like only one: (1) Shoutboxes, (2) HTML modules. Based on the language, I think it's fairly safe to say that we definitely won't be getting shoutboxes back. But the reason for disabling HTML modules is far muddier and for a lot of sites, they serve some fairly critical purposes. (look how much got disabled for us, ignoring shoutboxes.) There's a chance that there might be sufficient customer backlash for this decision to get reversed or at the very least, another tech solution might be presented to replace the functionality of the HTML modules. But shoutboxes are almost definitely gone.

>> Also, what is "Google Adsense"?
>> If I were using firefox, would I have this problem?
>> Lastly, is this Google or Enjin being jerkholes? Just like to know where to direct my.... frustration.

Elstrom pretty much nailed all these. But here's an additional caveat or two for people to chew on, if you enjoy internet commerce lessons.

The way through which free websites and services earn money through ads is by providing the ad-providers with viewers, which are counted in one of two ways, possibly both: (1) how often are the ads clicked, (2) how long are the ads being viewed for.

Thanks to general ad-blindness in the internet population, option one just doesn't cut it anymore and new tracking capabilities make it more effective to use two anyway. So you can think of it this way: the longer you are on a webpage with an ad on it, the more money the website is making, even if you're not clicking the ad or actually paying any attention to it.

Now the problem here specifically is with the shoutbox. We don't generally use it as a chat and, arguably, it's not designed to be used as such. But because it's a nice little feature that posts quickly and easily, certainly, we've all fallen into that trap of sending a few messages in a row and holding mini-conversations with other people.

Google's adsense policy likely states that Enjin may not run ads on a page that has a chat, because when people are in a chatroom, that involves LONG periods of sitting on a webpage, even though those users are ALMOST DEFINITELY not paying attention to the ads. The space is LESS VALUABLE, even though users spend so much time on it.

It's possible that Enjin may have either not known about this particular adsense policy and implemented shoutboxes for free sites and then Google was like "wut, stop that" (= get mad at Enjin). It's possible that Google was originally okay with shoutboxes while they were being used ... as shoutboxes, but then realized they were often being used more like chatrooms and then they had to be like, noooes. (= get mad at Google). In either one of these cases, it comes down to money and how Enjin needs (or just wants) it and Google has a rule about it, so Enjin has to abide by it.

(i suppose there's a chance that Google wouldn't mind letting Enjin have ads+shoutboxes, but Google would pay less per ad run as a result. that would be = get mad at Enjin.)

Again, though, the HTML modules are different. In the mail, the dev says they were being exploited. The reason for disabling them was not because of money or profit, but because Enjin developers wanted to quickly fix the issue of people creating HTML modules that they maybe aren't supposed to create. In other words, ENJIN IS BEING LAZY. Which they are entitled to do, since it's a 'free service', but of course that means it's SUPER = get mad at Enjin time.
Went had a looky on dat dare main enjin forum post aboot it. Looks like a lota people may migrate to other places if nothing good is done.

wow such google many pains.

Most importantly though, wut about the glorious roster D:
THE ROSTER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I mean fine.....shoutbox is gone, we can just create a thread to replace it. But Kat worked so hard on that Roster and it was like so awesome!

I'm willing to go to War for this.
Wait.....the Exodus Road stuff is gone too?!?!
wrote:
wrote:

Not actually sure on the other gubbins, but a website I follow had some trouble with Adsense a little while back so I know a bit on that topic.

Basically, Adsense is a Google service where they run ads on a website, and the site owner gets money for every view/click the ad gets, with a cut going to google. Adsense ads are going to show up for you regardless of your browser, unless you've got some kind of adblocker (not that I would endorse that sort of thing hint hint wink hint). Putting adsense on your site means that you have to abide by certain regulations of your content, since advertisers probably don't want certain things on the internet to be associated with their brand, although I'm not really sure what their issue with HTML is. I'm guessing in the current situation, Enjin has to have the ad revenue come in to keep free sites afloat, pulling the ads means losing what is probably a decent portion of their income, so their choosing to abide by Google's strange policy and kneecapping the functionality of the free sites rather than having to drop them altogether. So, Google, I guess, is who you need to be frustrated at.

Shakes fist at Google

google-fist-shake-baby.jpg

Of note, I am normally a big fan of Google.
RIP little boxes on the sides. :dead:
Have this. Seeing as we don't have a shout box. http://imgur.com/gallery/GuD6O
Why does the beard disappear? Lol :thumb:
Sweet Mary, Mother of God, that tattoo.