Sam's RL Archaeology Pics

wrote:
It could be Anglo Saxon - the problem is because it's out of context we can't know for sure :( Oh well, such is the plight of us archaeologists!

Yeah, I know. That's why I said I'm sorry for that. What a pity.
1 Like
Really really cool stuff!
2 Likes
Thank you for sharing this science with us. It is really cool! Congrats to you and the team for getting to do such amazing work.

Curious a bit, what will be done with the human remains?
1 Like
wrote:
Thank you for sharing this science with us. It is really cool! Congrats to you and the team for getting to do such amazing work.

Curious a bit, what will be done with the human remains?

No worries, it is fun; tough, but fun and it's been a good opportunity to get closer to people you've shared a course with all year and never spoken too!

I'm not actually sure what will happen to the skeletons, they have managed to take both out of the ground now. I'll ask for you next week but my guess at the moment is that it will be taken to a lab for forensic studying and preservation because as you can imagine, the bones are very fragile and degraded. After studies, I think they might reinter the bodies because of respect for the bodies, or they may just keep them in a secure location for later analysis. No doubt there will be ethical decisions to be made along the way (It's hard to imagine that those are actual Romans who had their own lives, beliefs and dreams!) but I know the remains will be treated with respect no matter what they do with them!
4 Likes
Also, on Friday, my friend managed to unearth something that is very rare in archaeological digs...
Spoiler: Show
NwqYjAT.jpg
To find an entire pot, unbroken by the winds (or soils to be more exact) of time, is a huge miracle!
6 Likes
Wonderful!
That could be a very precious piece of evidence! Now it would be possible to track down some good trade route for your settlement...I'm already start wondering about it.
3 Likes
wrote:
Wonderful!
That could be a very precious piece of evidence! Now it would be possible to track down some good trade route for your settlement...I'm already start wondering about it.

Well Timo, let's see if you guessed right; because of the stuff we've found already, we already have two direct links to trade:
1. The nice pieces of amphora definitely weren't made here, they were carefully mass produced in Gaul which is why they are superior to the other pieces of pot.
2. Roman glass is amazing, and you don't find that quality of glass again until the 18th century. The reason for this is because they used natron salt from Egypt and the Levant to make glass blocks which they then shipped here, melted and then made into vessels. From this, we can assume there's some trade link to Egypt, if not direct, then indirectly up here. :)
2 Likes
Then it all depends now on stratigraphic data. If those pots and the glass have been found in some V-VI century layers, that could be really an important discovery. However, something leads me to say that they come from more ancient strata, don't they?
1 Like
Now that, Timo, I'm not sure about, when we do more analysis, I think we'll be able to give exact dates!
1 Like
Also, slightly linked, just got my results back from Durham; I passed my exams!
2 Likes
Congratulations!
1 Like
In the excitement of summer holidays, I forgot to post my greatest find that I uncovered on the second to last day, plus an added surprise!
Spoiler: Mother of Dragons?Show
Well... I wish!
79dDxqt.jpg
I found what looked remarkably like a dragon's egg from Game of Thrones; it wasn't a dragon egg, it was more of a stone pinecone which had perhaps fallen off a pedestal (note the flattened bottom that possibly indicates it was on top of something) from one of the mausoleums and had rolled down the hill to where I found it.

So no dragons, but, as I uncovered it, we looked up and saw this person standing by the fence!
BvtMdFv.jpg

Fortunately, we hadn't summoned a centurion (or is that unfortunate?); it was a guy who dresses up as a Roman and walks through the streets as a job (career goals?)!

It was kind of spooky though to find such an amazing object and then see a Roman centurion appear out of nowhere!
7 Likes
Also, I woke up this morning, showered and got ready to leave when I got an email saying that gravestone recording was cancelled; love last minute changes! >_>

I still went to the cemetery to take some pictures and do a bit more recording anyway because I wasn't about to climb back into bed (although it was tempting)
Spoiler: Warning, pictures of graves withinShow
8Z2b7Y0.jpg
7xtDFB4.jpg
The above two are both Commonwealth War Graves and are a standard design for any war graves; the only personalisation allowed is the small message at the bottom which both of these graves have. I'll be doing some research for my project on these two so I can give you some more information about their lives (hopefully) soon!

The grave below is a normal family grave, belonging to a couple. They must have buried a seed in the grave because as you can see, there's a huge tree sticking out of the grave and the roots have disturbed the grave.
UhC4GMu.jpg
GdvbeAC.jpg
JqKKTqj.jpg

The slightly poetic thing about this grave is how the tree branches off into two trunks; Edward and Annie's spirits live on, together, even in death, by nature.

Life's victory won now cometh rest
8 Likes
This is a Roman/Medieval site, right? That dragon egg looks a lot like those pinecone-things that's found on Assyrian reliefs...
2 Likes
Yeah it was a Roman site; that's interesting about the dragon egg/pinecone; the thought is it came off a mausoleum. Given that this is a Roman military fort first, the mausoleum could have been from a Near Eastern officer; the Roman army became less "Roman" as the Empire dragged on and so it is possible for a Near Eastern soldier to be buried in Britain. Thus, the design could have been taken from his native culture.

Alternatively, the Romans were masters of appropriating items from other cultures so it could be a Roman who just thought the design was nice!
2 Likes
That's what I was thinking too! The Romans were eveeeerywhere so they could've gotten it from Mesopotamia (or like you said, gotten people from there).

Or it could be an egg from a mythical creature long-thought to be dead. Just keep it away from fire for now...
4 Likes
The allusion to Mesopotamia is fascinating, but perhaps it isn't necessary to go so far. I mean, I already saw similar objects in classical sites, so perhaps it was simply a shape already well known. I bet it came from Hellenistic art, however, and thus from the East.

By the way, amazing pictures Sam!
2 Likes
So I just googled Pinecones and Romans and I found this link from the BBC A History of the World. Note the object was found in Carlisle, so in Northern England!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/nOVRHz05SL6pTnbbVdTvJw
2 Likes

On from Romans and onto Egyptians! Hereā€™s some Egyptian artefacts that are at the Oriental Museum at Durham University!

Spoiler: Egyptian PicturesShow
Spoiler: HieroglyphicsShow
If I can, Iā€™ll try and translate some of the text for you! As a note, you read hieroglyphics from top to bottom if they are written vertically, and if they are horizontal, you read towards the direction of the way any person or animal is facing (for example if this was a snake o, you would read the text from right to left, but if the snake was facing like this o, youā€™d read it from left to right! These can change mid text so itā€™s important to always be on the lookout!)

5j1L4Jd.jpg

On the first line of this, we can see the snake on the left-hand side facing towards the right, so we would read the first line from right to left. The image is slightly unclear but I think the second line is also read from right to left, but the third line, the bird is facing left, so you would read this from left to right! (This is done to attribute the correct line to the correct image, so the third line goes with the smaller image whilst Iā€™m guessing the top two lines are talking about the big image!

The only word I can translate right now is the first four symbols on the first line (reading from left to right) and this translates as ā€œa funeral offeringā€ so, I think, the first two lines are talking about a man (the one in the big image) offering something to the gods (who I think is Ra)!

zsoFcAa.jpg

The second line of this at the top (second from the left) translates to ā€œfuneral offering to Osirisā€. This and the first line (from the left) are facing in one direction, so they are related to the picture of Osiris on the left, whilst the rest of the top (third from the left onwards) are read from right to left and are linked to the two people below"

wlTuIA4.jpg

BBTV8Sd.jpg
Spoiler: ArtefactsShow
Lvx5gsy.jpg

oGdjrt6.jpg

Two sides of the same boxā€¦but notice how one side the people are coloured black and on the other side they are drawn normally? We have no idea why. Normally, it could be picturing shadows or darkness but maybe it could be that the person did not existā€¦but if they didnā€™t why go to the trouble of drawing them?

B8UqraH.jpg

kXdxPtA.jpg

A small model of a slave girl, the picture does not do justice to how detailed the model is (sorry for the crappy photo, Iā€™ll try and get a better one next time!)

bqESMq4.jpg

B29TEBm.jpg
Alright Sam, show us the stuff we all really want to seeā€¦you knowā€¦hallmark Ancient Egyptian treasure? Okay, you asked for it!

DISCLAIMER: Pictures of mummies and death in the spoiler, please donā€™t click if that isnā€™t your thing!

Mummies
Spoiler: MummiesShow
zAKX2oP.jpg
Canopic Jars for the storage of organs
2t7rVoz.jpg
SGXXVbF.jpg
(Yes you read that correctly, mummified snakes, X-ray image below)
GQ2escB.jpg
Since we're all cat lovers, here's one for you all! Cat coffin for your mummified cats!
yOidjnv.jpg

Alright, I've stuck another spoiler in just in case, below are two human mummies so once again, you've been warned
Spoiler: Human MummiesShow
iMJaTKt.jpg
jncvqLg.jpg
oQ7dDkD.jpg
fkDNvB7.jpg
Mummy of a young boy (14-15 years old)
It raises an interesting question...should we put mummies on display like this, to be stared at and taken pictures of? The are dead people after all, should we not show them the same respect that we would for any dead? Ethics, ethics...

Also here are some not Egyptian stuff but I thought you all would appreciate them!

Spoiler: Not EgyptianShow
60bgPjk.jpg

Family prayer alter (I canā€™t remember if it was a Buddhist or Japanese one (I know there was Buddhism in Japan but I donā€™t want to give false information!))

3CM5EKx.jpg

IPofDB9.jpg

kX4Wsgd.jpg

VFbZoO6.jpg

Nutsv3N.jpg

5 Likes
Uh, nice photos :d
2 Likes