The Personal Log of S'Hauen Jarok

Definitely Human

Personal log, Stardate: Classified

I've never played a doubles match of velocity up until two days ago, we lost the final round. The team captain assures me that next time we'll "whip them." Next week we're scheduled to face off against Beta shift.

After the match me and Lt.O'neal stayed behind to talk. We caught up on certain subjects, ships business and superficial matters. Before I could exit the holodeck she held me by the arm and kissed me. I was completely caught off guard, I must have fumbled my words like an adolescent who had just been kissed for the first time when she looked at me and informed me that it was not a court marshal offense since we were off duty. All I did was nod and say "ah."

After giving it much thought, she's too bold to be Romulan, she is definitely Human.

*A voice is heard in the background: "I haven't relieved you yet Admiral..."

Definitely Human.
Boarding party

Things have been quiet lately up until an hour ago, we've come across a Federation transport vessel which is adrift. Life signs are sporadic and in all likelihood the occupants of the ship have all been assimilated. I've ordered an away team to investigate, locate any survivors and beam back aboard the ship so that we can destroy the vessel.

I've decided to personally lead the away team, I feel I could use sometime off this ship.

*sips his tea and shuffles some padds around*

Today is the Admirals Banquet, I believe it was going to be held on Betazed this year, I'm disappointed that I will not be in attendance. I enjoy the expression on some of the older Admirals at the sight of a Romulan in a Starfleet uniform.

*Ships intercom: "Admiral, the away team is ready and assembling in transporter room three."*
*Responds, "Understood, on my way."*
Cardassians

The boarding was disappointedly uneventful, the crew was gone and the ship was left adrift. The cargo it was hauling was intact so it wasn't the work of pirates. In all likelihood they were boarded by the Borg. We downloaded the ships logs, beamed back aboard and destroyed the ship. We'll notify the families once we return to Federation space.

Lt.O'neal has been acting strange since our encounter a few nights ago perhaps I am mistaken but it seems that she's getting a little too familiar with me, Elements forbid that she calls me by my first name in front of others; I must keep an eye on her. Perhaps...

*Ships intercom: "Admiral, incoming distress signal, it's a Cardassian ship sending out a emergency message across all channels, they're being chased by the Borg."

*Mutters to himself..."Cardassians out here?"*
*Responds, "Understood, change course to intercept, maximum warp"*

(OOC: Elements)

Personal Log, Supplemental

The Cardassian vessel had been destroyed by a Sphere when we arrived but a Hideki-class shuttle was able to escape prior to the explosion, we dealt with the Sphere and tractored the shuttle into shuttle bay two. Only two were inside, but one died in route to sickbay.

Personal Log, Supplemental

The Cardassian vessel had been destroyed by a Sphere when we arrived but a Hideki-class shuttle was able to escape prior to the explosion, we dealt with the Sphere and tractored the shuttle into shuttle bay two. Only two were inside, but one died in route to sickbay.

I've asked our new guest to dine with me and my first officer tonight. I'm eager to know what a Cardassian ship was doing out here.

*Picks up the padd and looks up Jellico's Biography and thinks to himself: Cardassians....Cardassians...ah..here they are.*
Enter the shrew

What an insolent woman! So arrogant and self righteous. Thankfully this is a large ship and I will not have to run into her the corridors very much. We spent most of the night arguing about various subjects from science to politics, fortunately my first officer was able to maintain a calm and steady demeanor, for an Andorian she did a good job of maintaining her posture.

We're exiting the system today and proceeding to the next at warp five, I have to meet First and Second later today for a new list of targets. Those two have become almost indispensable to me and the crew, I think I might come to trust those two sooner than I had expected. The crew has become accustomed to them as well, so says the councilor. I thought that perhaps because of their appearance the crew might have some resentment or hostility to towards them, but she assures me that the most common phrase the crew uses is, "they're one of us" and "they're different." Just the other day I saw First discussing security procedures with some enlisted and they didn't seem to mind at all.

*sips some tea and continues dictating the log*

Tonight the senior staff velocity team will be facing the Beta shift team, they've lost their last two matches so I'm hopeful we'll regain our confidence after our loss to Delta shift the week before.

*Finishes his tea*
*"Computer, end log."*
Hit and run

Well, the senior staff finally won one at velocity, they are currently celebrating in ten-forward but I've decided to forgo the celebrations and spend the rest of my evening in my quarters.

After reviewing First and Second's report on targets for this sector, we're proceeding to an asteroid belt in this sector. We have reason to believe this is a possible departure point for Borg ships moving into the Sirius sector, I'm sure they won't be expecting us. We'll only decloak briefly enough to cause a disruption and then to resume cloak and warp out; so far the Borg hasn't adapted to this tactic yet and for our sake, they won't anytime soon.

Our new guest seems to be making herself at home here aboard the ship from what I've heard. She's already made several petitions to use the ships botany bay to continue her research at the expense of my science officers patience.
Doing ones duty

After 72 hours, the Borg threat aboard the ship has been neutralized. The hit and run was successful but as we went back to cloak, our shields were temporarily down and it was at this moment that the Borg beamed over a small detachment of drones and began to assimilate the ship.

We lost eight crewmen to assimilation and five more in the fight to retake the three decks that the Borg had taken.

After the ship was secured, I went to inspect the damage to the ship at which point Dr. Nsech saw me and ran and hugged me crying. All she would say was "its happening again" and "why me?" I promptly wrestled her off and instructed to remain calm, she slapped me and called me a cold blooded Romulan then apologized for her outburst. I thought that perhaps by allowing her full access to the botany bay, that her work would help her feel better. I informed her of my decision and she just nodded and walked away.

*sips his tea*

I've instructed the ships councilor to extend he consultation hours in case some members of the crew wish to speak. I've instructed my first officer to give the eulogy, I'm not good at speaking for these kind of occasions. They died doing their duty, what more is there to say? If this were a Romulan ship, there there would be no better way to die than to die doing ones duty.
Blue alert

I've had to confront Lt.O'Neal today about her recent behaviors towards me and my interactions with the crew, particularly female members of the crew. Although she insisted that nothing is wrong and that she is just doing her duty as ships security, I know she is lying. I've seen the looks she gives other female crew members when they speak to me. Quite frankly I feel uncomfortable that one night of passion has inflamed her sentiments and has made her become jealous.

*briefly looks up, glances at a near by mirror and smirks*
*The ship suddenly enters into blue alert*

What in Bettatan'ru is going on?!

*"Computer, end log."*

(OOC:Bettatan)
Spores and fungus

The ship went into blue alert a fewdays ago thanks in part to Dr. Nsech experiments in the botany bay. Some spores she was working on escaped and flooded a small section of the deck where the bay is located. Fortunately it was non dangerous and the spores were easily removed due to the rapid containment.

I've allowed her to resume her work but only under supervision, naturally she began to argue with me as is her custom but eventually she reluctantly agreed. She's quite passionate about her work, I'll give her that much, I wonder if all Cardassian women are like her. What's the human term...shrews!

*yawns*

We'll be arriving at our destination in a few hours, I should get some rest.
The playoffs

*Replicates dinner*
"Computer, begin recording log."

Another successful mission...We're proceeding to an known asteroid belt in this sector where we plan to hide for a three days while we run some diagnostic tests and catch up on repairs. I think the crew could use a break from the constant threat of the Borg.

*starts to eat his dinner*

The velocity playoffs start tomorrow, we have a match versus Alpha shift. Although we expect to win, Alpha shift made a come from behind win to knock out Beta shift from competing tomorrow. The senior staff and organizers of the events have agreed to give the winning team a day off from their duties. If the senior staff team wins the tournament we'll be having a small dinner in 10 forward.

*sips some tea and the door bell chimes*

Who can that be?
"Computer, pause log."

Personal log, Supplemental

Dr. Nsech came by a while ago to give me a plant she just recently grew and to apologize for her behavior lately. She went on to say that she is a guest aboard the ship and that sometimes she forgets this fact. I told her she was correct in her reasoning. Apparently she did not like me telling her this and then began to argue with me again about how I misconstrued her apology as a sign of weakness of character.

I don't understand women sometimes, I was only agreeing with her statement and in turn she takes it as an assault on her character. Perhaps it was my tone of voice?

*looks at the plant on his desk and scratches his head*

I suppose I'll leave the plant on my desk for now until I find another spot for it. It does have a nice shade of green to it. When I asked her if she wanted her plant back she stormed off and said something in her tongue which judging by the tone of her voice, probably wasn't friendly.
First contact

The senior staff velocity team lost to Delta shift for the velocity championship. Naturally Delta shift were graceful winners, at least until we left the holodeck. I'm sure the whole ship is talking about how they defeated us.

*sips some tea and stretches*

With the maintenance and repairs almost complete, we'll be exiting the asteroid belt and proceeding to a near by M class planet. The last time Starfleet had contact with the inhabitants of this planet, they were alive and well. I hope this is their situation still as we could benefit from a resupply of any kind.

Lt.O'neal seems to be acting normal again after our previous conversation, at least it seemed that way during the match. I thought about speaking to her after the game but then decided against it, I already said what needed to be said.

*looks up at a near by mirror and turns his head, side to side slowly*

I think it's time to visit the barber.
Chapter 30 : Botany 101

We've received several supplies from the planet and in return gave the inhabitants some phaser rifles for their defense against the Borg. Those rifles won't save those people if the Borg choose to assimilate their planet, but they have the right to defend their homes so I allowed the exchange to take place without preaching to the colonists about why they should leave.

I asked Dr. Nsech if she wished to remain on the planet surface and perhaps arrange some transport back to Cardassian space but she refused, she stated that she felt that the Nechayev was her new home, plus the colony did not have all the facilities in which she could conduct her studies. She then went on to instruct me on the proper care of the plant she gave me and hoped that I was taking care of it. I was honest with her and told her that it recently sprouted red leaves and was quite pleased. She informed me, in a very stern voice, that it was not getting enough light if the leaves turned red and demanded to see the plant. My first reaction was to say no but reasoned that if I let her see the plant and did whatever it was that needed to be done, I would have to see less of her, so I agreed.

The doctor will be coming shortly.
Reputable Ferengi?

*sips his tea*

What a long day...we attacked a small group of probes being led by a sphere, we made short work of them and continued to travel across this sector. Afterwards we encountered a disable Packled ship. According to the captain they were trading with a Ferengi vessel when they were attacked by the Borg. Although both ships were able to fend off the attack, the Packled ship was disabled. The Ferengi, upon seeing this, decided that they would not pay the Packleds what they were owed and warped out. I ordered an engineering team to beam over and asses the situation and see if there was anything we could do for them. After several hours both our ships got underway, I presume that the Packleds went to search for those less than reputable Ferengi.

I thought about taking the midnight shift tonight but I decided I could use the rest, I think I pulled a muscle in my left arm, probably from the velocity championship. I'll have to see the doctor about it.

*sips some team and rubs his arm slightly*

The Cardassian woman stopped by today. She did whatever it is a botanist does to a plant and informed me on the proper care of the plant. As she handed me the plant, our hands touched for a moment and we just looked at each other, it was awkward to say the least but it seemed for a moment that it didn't matter. A very brief moment! *smirks* In her usual manner, she scolded me in a polite manner and told me that I better take good care of the plant she gave me then gave me another long look before leaving.

The crew is looking forward to the end of the week, Second has announced that she will be giving a ballet performance. I look forward to seeing this myself.
Truly something...

I was unable to attend the ballet performance but I've heard from those present that they've never seen a (former) Borg drone move so gracefully, her partner, Ensign Salem was also highly praised for his performance. Perhaps once we return to Federation space, Second will leave Starfleet and take up performing.

Things have been quiet in this sector the past few days, if this keeps up will move on to another. Fighting the Borg has become second nature to the crew, I believe they are at their peak efficiency.

*stands up and replicates some chocolate covered cheese cake, then sits back down*

This cake is truly something...

*looks over some padds*

There has been an increase in Klingon activity to compensate for the decrease in Borg activity. I'm debating on whether we should attack any Klingon targets of opportunity....we are at war with them but part of me feels we've trained and fought the Borg and are good at it and I'm not sure I want to spend our resources on Klingons. I'm going to call a general staff meeting tomorrow and discuss this new development.

*finishes the cake*
The other war

The senior staff has decided that we will take our personal war to the Klingons. Long range sensors have picked up what could be some Klingon ships, we're heading in their direction and will arrive in an hour.

Personal log, Supplemental

We've destroyed one bird of prey and disabled another. I sent a boarding crew over and after a tense three hours, we took the ship. The away teams injuries were not life threating thankfully and they were able to take some prisoners....

I gave the order to seize any intelligence that could be obtained and to destroy the ship. Now I face the question of what to do with these prisoners. I can't just leave them in the brig for however long we might be out here and I don't like the security risk they pose in having seven Klingons in my brig.
Vulnerable

It's been two months since we captured those seven Klingons and it's been that long since I've made a log entry.

The ship and crew have had it difficult these past two months, the Borg have finally adapted the ships cloak and now where just as vulnerable as any other Federation ship. Our guerrilla tactics have had to change drastically since then and we've been very careful about where we go and what we attack. Unfortunately these new tactics haven't come without their price; we've had several casualties over those two months, including Lt.O'Neal.

During one attack the ships power temporarily went out and we had to rely on our auxiliary backups, unfortunately the Klingons took advantage of the momentary loss of power and attempted to seize a shuttle craft to escape. Fortunately we were able to stop them in time before they could escape. My security officer reasoned with them *sips his tea* and made them realize that staying aboard the ship was their best chance at survival.

Their leader, Commander Shi'ada reluctantly agreed and her and her men laid down what captured arms they seized. The ships counselor has suggested I let them have limited access to the ship so as they can feel useful I immediately disagreed but after a few close calls and the loss of more crew members I've realized that we could use the extra manpower...even if they do smell.

I only allow two at a time to have limited access and followed by two guards at all times. One of them is an engineer and has proved useful in helping with some repairs.

I don't trust them or their Commander but out here in the middle of a Borg infested space, I cannot be choosy.
Seven Warriors

We're currently in orbit over a previously uncolonized Class L planet. We've discovered some disturbing news from it's new inhabitants; the Borg are attempting to assimilate Defera.

I invited their leader, Gisak, aboard the ship to discuss the situation and was informed that the invasion of Defera began a month ago and both Federation and KDF forces are attempting to repel the invaders. Since that time, many Deferi have fled the planet to other nearby planets and in the case of these Deferi, they've left to start anew.

*stands up and continues to dictate his personal log while he goes to water his plant*

I've developed a curious situation, the Deferi leader has requested protection either in the form of men or arms, I can spare neither but what I can spare are Klingons. We have some captured Klingon weapons which we have no use for and I'm more than willing to part with our hygienically challenged captives. I had my first officer discuss the situation with Commander Shi'ada and I've suggested the idea to Gisak and both are in agreement. The seven Klingons will be beaming down to the planet surface within a few hours followed by a second beam down of the few captured weapons we have. My first officer informed me that the Klingons are looking forward to "glorious battle" and to earn their place in "Stovukar" or however they call it, so they can redeem themselves in light of their capture by us.

*finishes watering the plant and then takes a pair of scissors and trims it slightly*
Memories

*Steps out the sonic shower and walks around to put on his robe*
"Computer, begin log"

Earlier today I was thinking about my sister and this impossible search I'm tasked with. If I return without my man, my sisters career might as well be over. I'm starting to wonder if there are other powers at work here and if there is someone behind this who wants me to fail or see the career of my sister end.

*stares at his bed sheets for a moment*

Those were the same sheets I had when Lt.O'Neal spent the night in my quarters. She shouldn't of had to of gone the way she did but she died doing her duty and even though she was not Romulan, dieing doing ones duty is an honorable death.

*runs his hand along the sheets and reminisces*

"Computer, end log and dim lights to 10%"
It must be a game

Earlier today I saw my Chief of Security playing an odd board game with our Cardassian ethnobotanist in ten forward. I didn't stay long since I had more important duties to attend to but I did see their game finish with my officer noticeably frustrated and the doctor with a smug look on her face; it must be a Cardassian game.

I had a strange dream last night; I dreamed I was back at the Academy as a cadet and I was in Prof.Willson's Early Starfleet History class, when suddenly a group of Borg drones entered the class room yet no one was phased by this occurrence. Even stranger was when they sat down in some empty seats and began to listen to the lecture. Perhaps I should not be indulging in snacks after midnight. *Pats his stomach a little* Hmm....

*Ships comm beeps: "Admiral, incoming priority one message from Starfleet Intelligence sir."*

*Responds:"put it through to my terminal in my personal quarters."*
Internal affairs

The Elements have failed me on this one....a few days ago I received a message from an unlikely source from an unlikely person. Admiral Batanides wished to discuss with me a most distressing situation; there is an informant in Starfleet JAG and that she wants me speak with my contact and attempt to extract information.

Does this mean I am a double agent of some sort? I do not like being someones pawn.

I've accepted the Admirals request but under certain conditions, when she refused to negotiate with me, I cut the channel. A few minutes later she sent another message, she was willing to talk. *smirks*
Family matters

I just finished dictating a letter to my mother, I haven't spoken to her since I left the Academy. My sister was the one that would keep me up to date on the ongoings of the family but since she is in Starfleet along with me, our mother is home alone.

I would attempt to bring her to a Federation colony maybe even Earth, but her Mnhei'sahe would prevent her from leaving her home and our people. I don't blame her, I would feel the same if I knew I had a future in the Empire. Perhaps one day I'll be able to return and help my people either as a Starfleet officer or in another capacity.

When we return to Federation space I'll be able to send it, I know the crew is eager to see the transmission silence end and be able to send and receive messages from home.

Earlier today we escorted briefly another Deferi colony ship, their captain informed us that things are pretty bad on Defera and hopes that the joined Federation-Klingon taskforce will be able to dislodge the Borg from the planet.