BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO <DS13 Department Heads>
CC CMDR Caspius
FROM CAPT Thiessen

SUBJ The Return of Staff Meetings
4OB3P0J.png

Hello all,

Since I've taken over as your commanding officer following the tragic loss of our friend and superior officer Andre Freeman, DS13 has been - in many areas and by no doing of our own - playing a game of catch up. While we're still in the process of returning to normal operations in one or two departments, we're at a place where we should all look forward. One way I'd like to do that is my re-instituting inclusive and open Starbase staff meetings monthly.

While I've participated in and run such things in previous command vessel postings (and we have all met individually many times for reports and meetings), before my arrival here as XO I have heard Captain Freeman ran things a certain way, as I'm sure the other commanders did before him.

What I'd like to ask you all to do, when you have time, is reply to me directly with which sort of meeting style you'd prefer. What did you like best in the past, or what you felt was most effective. It would be a great help to have your direct input; it's important that we move forward with what most of you feel might be best for yourselves and your departments.

Many thanks!

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
Commanding Officer, Deep Space Thirteen
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93614.7
Security Level 1
TO CAPT Thiessen
CC <DS-13 Department Heads>
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. The Return of Staff Meetings
4OB3P0J.png

Sir,

Having only been an officer on the DS-13 for just over a year and a half (that is, approximately one year, seven months, two days), my experience with different staff meetings is, admittedly, limited. However, I found that Commander Freeman's style of conducting meetings--asking for individual department heads to report, after which he would ask relevant questions--to be effective.

However, although Captain Freeman's methods were successful and effective for his purposes, I would urge you to consider carefully before adopting a similar, or indeed any, approach if you believe that another method would be more useful for you. And, whilst I acknowledge the thought that you have put into constructing these meetings so as to be copacetic with the desires of myself and the Department Heads, I would not be exercising my duty as Executive Officer if I did not remind you with respect that, although these meetings are a useful means of discussing and sharing information betwixt and between the senior staff, their primary purpose is to give the starbase command the necessary information to provide a ground for actions contemplated presently and in future.

Consequently, the meeting style best suited to that goal--that is, the type of meeting that you believe will present information in such a way that you can evaluate it and react to it most successfully--should be the style that you employ. I suspect that I do not speak for myself alone when I say that I am more than capable of adapting to any reasonable structure you put in place; and, moreover, that I should feel more certain that my reports are being understood and considered if the meeting structure is one chosen by the officer in command, in whom the safety and success of our personnel and missions ultimately rest.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
Executive Officer, Deep Space 13
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Caspius
CC <DS13 Department Heads>
FROM CAPT Thiessen

SUBJ Re: The Return of Staff Meetings
4OB3P0J.png

Commander, thank you for your swift reply.

You're quite right that it's important that the meetings are set up in a way which I can most effectively gain access to all necessary information, help you all coordinate with one another and keep this starbase running smoothly. That, ultimately, this process is my decision for a reason.

Allow me to clarify.

Any suggestions I get here will be implemented into the consideration of a new meeting setup which will work for the betterment of all involved. While I won't simply be accepting suggestions and implementing them, I will be taking potential needs and ensuring they're met if possible. While I'm accepting suggestions from all of you, I don't want you to feel obligated or as if the re-implementation of this process relies on any of you replying; meetings will be returning. I simply want to give you the ability to share what you may have thought worked best if you wish to or feel the need to.

Thanks for being diligent as always, Commander.

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
Commanding Officer, Deep Space Thirteen
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93614.8
Security Level 1
TO CAPT Thiessen
CC <DS-13 Department Heads>
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. The Return of Staff Meetings
4OB3P0J.png

Sir,

The clarification you have provided is helpful.

For my part, in my tenure as Chief of Operations, I found that the departmental reports were useful. Obviously it is vital for Operations to be apprised of upcoming actions taken by any department, because it is Operations which is primarily involved in providing additional resources in terms of facilities, material, and personnel, so this may seem obvious. But with that said, I nevertheless believe that other departments might have benefitted in like manner. I add that in some of our meetings, department heads were able to address common issues by developing cross-departmental solutions--this, too, I found useful.

Therefore, I suggest two meaningful inclusions in a potential meeting structure:
1. Departmental reports listing the results of major actions have been undertaken since the last meeting, and explaining upcoming major actions to take place prior to the next meeting; and,
2. A brief period (either after each report, or at the conclusion of the meeting) where department heads can themselves ask questions and discuss cross-departmental solutions to any challenges facing individual departments, with such a discourse to be moderated by yourself.

Hopefully you will find these suggestions equally useful to your decision-making process.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
Executive Officer, Deep Space 13
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93616.7

zpglS1t.png
TO CAPT Thiessen, Tau
FROM CMDR Sivath
SUBJ Re: The Return of Staff Meetings
4OB3P0J.png

Pursuant to execution of duty as Chief Engineer, senior staff meetings should:

1. provide command with progress update on active projects
  2. exchange interdepartmental requirements in forthcoming interval
  3. advocate for Engineering Dept. priorities in forthcoming interval
  4. request necessary resources for said priorities

Meeting format should ideally accomplish these objectives with minimal wasted time and attention.

//SIGNED//
Commander Sivath
Engineering Dept., Deep Space 13
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT Thiessen
CC <DS13 Department Heads>
FROM CMDR Kozath

SUBJ RE: The Return of Staff Meetings
4OB3P0J.png

Captain.

While there are mertis to meeting individually with each Department Head, I believe that having a combined meeting would be much more efficient.
While each department specializes in certain areas by design, it would be advantageous for all department heads to be aware of pressing issues affecting the entire station.
Less confusion will result if directives are given by one individual to the whole, and meeting on a monthly basis would ensure consistent progress updates.
Each department head can raise concerns and needs so that other departments can support each other if needed.
Such are my suggestions, sir, in regards to this matter.

//SIGNED//
Commander Kozath
Chief of Security, Deep Space Thirteen
5 Likes