BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95076.2
Security Level 1: Open

TO <38th\Command>
CC LCDR Verlin, Keri; CAPT Desimone, Sara; CAPT Caspius
FROM CMDR Mandra, Alina
SUBJ. Misunderstanding in Assignment Intent
4OB3P0J.png

Sirs, I'm afraid there has been something of a rather large misunderstanding that took place almost two months ago just following the evacuation from DS13 regarding my assignment that I have only learned about today. Then-Admiral Perim assigned me to take over the U.S.S. Asimov and fill it with a selection of Science personnel. That was all the detail given at that time. I proceeded to pick personnel for this from the Science Department which at that point in time didn't have any projects to work on as they were all on DS13. I essentially turned the Asimov into a mobile science lab to carry on some projects from the station that could be done in the confines of that ship. The ship was moved into Aries squadron, under Captain Desimone, who I've CC'd for that reason as she is technically my CO now. I was never given any further orders from her to suggest permanence nor anything that conflicted my ongoing operation of the ship differently than a typical ship captain. In fact I was given no follow up orders after the assignment from anyone.

Though admittedly it wasn't explicitly stated I'd be returning to my spot as head of the station's Science Department once DS13 was returned to operating status, I was never given any indication that I was to be permanently removed from the station, let alone the chief position. Yet now I am just learning, for the first time, that my assignment to command a ship is intended to be permanent. In fact I asked the current Acting Chief of Science, my former Assistant Chief, LCDR Keri Verlin about how she interpreted the order (which also made her the Acting Chief at the same time) and she admits she also thought this was a temporary measure in a time of need. I've copied her here to confirm this if you require that of her.

I understand that orders are orders sirs, but these were not properly spelled out and I never wanted to take a ship command position.. regardless of my technical ability to do that job (itself a result of prior shipboard assignments and not an interest in ship command). I am fully aware an officer typically doesn't get to choose against undesired assignments. If I had known this was intended to be a permanent move, I would have questioned Admiral Perim about it when it happened. I was not aware I would not return to DS13 Science. I came to fleet to work in a station science department where I felt my skills were most useful. I did accept positions in charge of that department, but still within. I will be honest, I do not want to command a starship, even if it is a science ship. I have every intent to formally request to step down from this position.

I understand due to this situation I likely can not have my former position of Science Chief back. I can understand that, but I would very much still like to work in DS13's science department. I mean no disrespect sirs, I simply want to serve Starfleet and this command in the best way possible, in a way I know my skills are best utilized. The command chair of a ship is not the place for me. I do not know why Admiral Perim chose to put me there or if she really intended it to be permanent or not, I cannot ask her that now, but I sincerely hope you see the wisdom in letting me work for you in a way I have demonstrated interest and consistent capability prior to the attack on the starbase.

If you feel for any reason I don't deserve to serve the fleet in the role I previously proved myself most capable, I ask you be honest and tell me, as it will help me decide where to go from here. I most certainly still want to serve this fleet in the best way I feel I am capable, even if it is just a non-staff Science Department position.

Thank you for your time.

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
38th Fleet

((OOC: So I'm trying to roll with this ICly to not be disruptive... but the fact here is.. it isn't just Alina that has the wrong idea about this. I did, OOCly. I was never given a clear explanation that it was intended for her to be removed from Science permanently. I did not want that. I know we try to play Starfleet as realistically as it might be in RL, and that is fair, people don't always get to choose stuff like this in a crisis. I get that... but in terms of my the player doing the RP for fun.. I wanted to play this character as a science officer on a starbase. This isn't my ship command character. I have someone else for that. Also yes many of us also discussed some other confusion I had about Alina's rank implying she tested that she was capable of command. I admit I simply didn't consider things like that in the past and had a view that you could be higher ranks without having to take ship command positions. I admit I might have been wrong about that, but I don't think that's really an issue here. I'm not fighting that she can't be command of a ship, I don't want her to be in command of a ship.

Put simply, I was happy playing the character in DS13 Science. I will not be happy playing Alina as a ship captain. I honestly have no idea if Kermit was intending Perim to reassign her permanently or not. I didn't think so until I was told that, ICly, tonight. I really really do not want to have to do anything drastic to change this like having to have her consider resigning or something. I seriously don't want to play this like that. So I hope this isn't seen as something that has to be strictly adhered to and can be altered. I accept it means she probably won't be Science Chief anymore. I am ok with that. I was actually privately considering having her step down to become a regular science officer again anyway for other reasons anyway. I still want her to be a science officer if possible. I wouldn't be writing all this if I didn't see it as an actual issue I was worried about. So I hope you all understand, because I certainly had a serious misinterpretation of things for the past two months. Sorry for the trouble.))

EDIT: ((I checked the original post with the assignment orders, I still feel the intent is vague and wasn't clear on permanence, but wanted to point out Kermit's OOC note:
Perim wrote:
((PC starbase characters will obviously be among those selected to remain. If you'd prefer to be ship-based for the time being, get in touch with Tau or Alina and post to your character registry threads so we can update those assignments! Let me know if you have any questions.))
Now I never asked questions cause I didn't feel I needed to. I should have asked why Alina was being assigned thusly, especially as she was a PC starbase character which was stated to be selected to remain. So I am even more unclear what the intent was supposed to be. I saw no IC reason Alina had to be changed.))
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Mandra
CC 38th/Command
FROM VADM Amiri

SUBJ RE: Assignments

Commander,

Effective immediately you are to stand down the crew of the Asimov. All officers currently serving on-board will be rotated back into their respective departments on station. Liaise with Captain Caspius to establish a caretaker crew. When that task is finished your transfer to the Science Department on Deep Space 13 is approved. This is not a transfer back to a department leadership position. Those positions are at the discretion of Captain Caspius. I understand there are several changes in upper level department rosters coming in the near future.

Please ensure all further messages to Command are trimmed of extraneous information. Communication needs to be clear and concise.

//SIGNED//
Vice Admiral Enzian Amiri
Commanding Officer, 38th Fleet
8 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95076.5
Security Level 1: Open

TO VADM Amiri, Enzian
CC 38th/Command
FROM CMDR Mandra, Alina
SUBJ. RE: Assignments
4OB3P0J.png

Admiral, I sincerely thank you for being understanding at this time. If this was always planned, I was given a different impression earlier. If not then I am appreciative of you listening.

I apologize for the length, I simply hoped to avoid anymore confusion than had already been caused previously. I will proceed as you have indicated.

Also, since I've yet to formally meet you, welcome to the 38th Admiral.

//SIGNED//
Commander Alina Mandra
Science Department, Deep Space 13
4 Likes