To: Commander Zh'Lindresko, Commander Keth Sub: Possible Athropod infestation.

TO:Commander Zh'Lindresko, Commander Zeth.
CC: Commander Liam Dantes, Commander Kozath, Commander Hellstone, Captain Perim
SUBJECT: Possible Athropod infestation

Sirs,

With this message I want to immediately request a quarantine of the U.S.S. Jeanne D'arc, the I.F.S. Brooke and instill a bio hazard warning for the station. While I understand this is a drastic measure, I have reasonable suspicions that there might be dangerous arthropods on the station coming from the Wyndir System.

During shift in the station Emergency room, a Lieutenant under name of Alicia Andersson came with a severe allergic reaction to a bug bite she had received during patrol. During the patrol the I.F.S. Brooke was evading the Starfleet vessel and failing to comply. Upon rendering the ship ready for inspection, through unknown means to me, several officers of the Jeanne D'Arc went to personally check the freight. Upon arrival on the vessel, the officers found illegal grains, contraband. The Lieutenant was then bitten.

The freighter has been towed back to the station by the Jeanne D'arc. Due to the allergic reaction, Lieutenant Andersson (As well as her crew) went to the emergency room, yet forgot, in her panic, to go through quarantine. This is fully to thank to the reaction she had from the bug bite, it created confusion, swelling, sweating. Rendering the officer unable to function properly.

The arthropods on their turn might have traveled with the officer on board of the station or on board of the Jeanne D'arc with her returning crew. As we do not know which of the arthropods from the Wyndir system are the cause of this reaction, this might create problem for station health and security. My recommendation is to have biohazard team sweep the station to eradicate the foreign insects.

The blood work for the Lieutenant shows a toxin that affects the intestinal bacteria cultures, destroying the patients natural ability to absorb nutrients from food. Slowly killing the patient without proper care. I also suggest any person on board the station with stomach issues, fatigue or pain in the bowels to immediately report to the nearest medical professional. As of now, I have been unable to create an anti-venom, since the Arthropods in the Wyndir system have been largely uncategorized.

Signed,

Lieutenant Elkin Cenom M.D.
Emergency Medicine Doctor
Deep Space 13 - 38th Fleet 'Argo'
8 Likes

TO: Fleet Captain Perim
CC: DS13 Operations; DS13 Security; DS13 Medical
SUBJECT: RE: Possible Athropod infestation

Captain,

With Operations' go ahead, the quarantine of the U.S.S. Jeanne D'arc will be put underway immediately. I am skeptical of Lieutenant Cenom's request for a hazzard team to sweep the station as this apparently seems to be, currently, an isolated case to Lieutenant Andersson of the Jeanne D'arc. I'd prefer to understand the allergic reaction more fully before the resources are put to use. However, I am fully aware of the risk this possibly poses to the station and that the utmost importance of safety rivals nothing, so would like to forward the Lieutenant's request for the team to begin preparations for a sweep of the station as soon as they are able. It would presumably be beneficial to humanely capture these arthropods, should they have actually come aboard, so we will be able to study them and form some sort of treatment should the reactions become common. Presumably we can decide whether to destroy them or return them to a suitable habitat at a later time.

A general health bulletin will be put out concluding this report regarding symptoms and instructions to report to medical for examination. Once I've investigated this concern personally Commander Keth and I will begin closely monitoring the situation and will be preparing an isolation ward in response to possible reactions. If you have any questions or concerns, I'm of course available to field them as best as I am able to.

Doctor Soalina zh'Lindresko
Chief Medical Officer
Deep Space Thirteen

5 Likes
TO CMDR zh'Lindresko
CC <DS13\Operations>
RE Possible Arthropod Infestation

Quarantines of the Jeanne D'Arc and the freighter in question are authorized. Regarding DS13, please take whatever steps you deem appropriate, and keep me apprised of the situation.

//SIGNED//
Fleet Captain Neema Perim
Commanding, Deep Space 13
4 Likes
TO Lieutenant Cenom
CC DS13 Medical, DS13 Sciences
SUBJECT RE: Possible Arthropod Infestation
FROM Commander Keth

From what I can tell it looks like the arthropods were on the freighter. Since the Jeanne D'Arc is in quarantine there is no reason those arthropods would be on DS13. If they were to get on the station they would've had to attached to, or laid eggs on, an officer from the ship that then would've transported to DS13. The officer then would've had to not noticed the arthropod and would've had to carry aboard two of them with different genders (unless the species is asexual or reproduces through parthenogenesis). If there were eggs the officer would've had to have stayed on the station long enough for them to hatch. Since this occurred very recently and the freighter is under quarantine this would likely not have happened. I therefore, with all due respect, find the idea of having them on board the station preposterous.

As for the antivenin in case there are any on the Jeanne D'Arc or on DS13 (which is again highly unlikely) it would be a simple matter if a team is sent to the Wyndir system to gather venom from one of these creatures. If it is possible to still isolate blood from the Lieutenant with the venom in it I could work on developing an antivenin. I have included sciences in this message in case there are officers with expertise in the area of venom, or officers that know about the collection and study of arthropods.

Commander Keth
Assistant Chief Medical Officer
Deep Space Thirteen
38th Fleet Argo
7 Likes
TO:Commander Zh'Lindresko, Commander Zeth.
CC: -
SUBJECT: RE: Possible Arthropod Infestation

Commander,

With all due respect, we do not know what the creatures are, they could have a very different means of reproduction, they could also have hopped of the officer in question and went into a duct or Jeffries tube. Creating a nest in such a situation could form a health risk and a catastrophe for personnel and civilian alike. The Jeanne D'arc only received quarantine upon requesting it by myself and the agreement of Fleet Captain Perim. Numerous amounts of personnel had moved between the two ships before that or came from the I.F.S. Brooke onto the station.

Currently the officer, Alicia Andersson, is admitted to the intensive care unit with severe swelling of her hand, where the bite mark occurred, a fever and loss of intestinal bacterial cultures. She is unable to eat or drink. I believe her symptoms are serious enough to warrant my measures. I'd like to file for a meeting with the chief to discuss this further. I could learn a great deal from this all.

Signed,

Lieutenant Elkin Cenom M.D.
Emergency Medicine Doctor
Deep Space 13 - 38th Fleet 'Argo'
5 Likes
TO: Commander Zh'Lindresko, Commander Zeth.
CC: Commander Liam Dantes, Commander Kozath, Commander Hellstone, Captain Perim, Captain DuPont
SUBJECT: Possible Arthropod Infestation

Sirs,

Captain DuPont asked me to update you all on the current situation in the absence of Lieutenant Andersson.

Quarantine

Following orders given by Lieutenant Andersson Immediately following the bite incident the I.F.S. Brooke was locked down under biohazard quarantine and remains subject to the relevant protocols. All crewmembers from the U.S.S. Jeanne D'Arc who were aboard were scanned, checked and underwent decontamination. At that juncture it would seem unlikely that any pests were able to leave the freighter.

Pests

After an update from Captain DuPont on Lieutenant Andersson's condition that decision was made to attempt to recover one of the pests from the shipment of contraband plant matter. I am happy to report our mission was successful and we acquired one example this which is in suspended animation pending synthesis of anti-toxin by the appropriate medical staff. It is worth noting that this creature does possess wings and as such it is possible if unlikely that a quarantine breach did occur. A prudent course of action may be a full bio sweep of deep space 13 using the attached new criteria. These creatures are unknown to our systems currently and after an analysis the bio scanners were unable to differentiate them from plants on which they feed.

Lieutenasnt Andersson

Alicia remains in the ICU aboard DS13, her team will be visiting her later today.

With best regards,

Ensign Ng Wei,
Assistant Botanist
U.S.S. Jeanne D'Arc
2 Likes
TO Ensign Ng Wei
CC DS13 Medical
SUBJECT RE: Possible Arthropod Infestation
FROM Commander Keth

Excellent work on capturing that specimen, I will come aboard your ship soon to retrieve it so that we may study the toxins and create an antivenin with the rest of the medical staff. It would be best if you could take images of this creature as soon as possible and send them to DS13 Operations to be posted around the starbase, so that people are aware of it's appearance. Just in case any got on board.

Commander Keth
Assistant Chief Medical Officer
Deep Space Thirteen
38th Fleet Argo
3 Likes