TO: Deputy Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs Alex Mansard| SUBJ: Annatar Information

2Y2KlIn.png
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO Alex Mansard, Deputy Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs
CC n/a
FROM Attaché Lev bim Bozgid

SUBJ Annatar Information
4OB3P0J.png

Deputy Undersecretary,

Alex, my old friend! How are you doing these days? I hope after all the mess with the Azedi you managed to fit in some vacation time. I'm sure filling out paperwork and getting other people to do things for you is just as exhausting as having your office blown up, I can hardly imagine.

But enough about you, let's talk about me. I've been going through my files and happened across our records of the Annatari, who I'm sure you remember were short-time Federation members. I wasn't super familiar with them and I had nothing better to do at the time so I started doing a little research and crunching some numbers, and the unfortunate takeaway seems to be that Annatar is suffering, both economically and socially. Trade is down, their position in the sector is diminished, and they're having trouble training for skilled positions. This might be a critical time for the Federation to step in and initiate new talks on membership.

My first impulse was to hop over there and talk to them myself, but I'm a simple Attaché; from what I can tell, their government has been pretty stubborn about entertaining the possibility of rejoining. It might take someone a little higher than me on the food chain to do any convincing. And, if my projections are right, their economy is circling the drain. I'd consider it a personal favor (of which I believe you owe me a few, old friend) if this issue could be expedited.

Let me know what you think!

//SIGNED//
Lev bim Bozgid
Attaché
Federation Diplomatic Corps
Deep Space 13
2 Likes
2Y2KlIn.png

TO Attaché Lev bim Bozgid
FROM A. Mansard

SUBJ Re: Annatar Information
8sjg2If.png

What ho, Lev. Good to hear from you.

This is a fairly unusual circumstance, I have to admit. On the one hand, the Federation generally has principles of non-interference that we need to be mindful of. On the other, Annatar isn't just any neutral planet, but a former member of the Federation and it doesn't seem too out of place to just want to visit for a goodwill tour. Where it goes from there would be up to the delegate we send.

I had a few of my people look into your claims, but unfortunately we don't have a lot in terms of reporting. There does appear to be a decline in trade between Annatar and the Federation, but not to the degree that you seem to suggest. Can you send us your research and your sources? It'd be useful to review what you already have, to supplement our case.

//SIGNED//
Alex Mansard
Deputy Undersecretary
Foreign Affairs
2 Likes
2Y2KlIn.png

CC n/a

4OB3P0J.png

Alex,

Alright so I double checked my math and the situation isn't nearly as dire as I previously predicted. So sue me! I've attached my results and sources here. Note that most of it is publicly accessible information, which does include some professional economic analysis, but not official government reporting, which is obviously not within my rights to access.

However, I think there is still a serious issue that I managed to stumble upon, which is that while the decline in their economy is in line with a small depression, there is talk that it may result in the end of their post-scarcity condition, which would mean the loss of basic guaranteed rights.

You are right to point out our policy of non-interference. It is, in truth, an internal matter. The withdrawal was voted upon by Annatar's people, in a referendum created by it's government. But no one is suggesting forcing Annatar to have another vote, or infiltrating their voting system to achieve a desired result. It's simply a matter of talking to Annatar's government, and emphasizing that the benefits of Federation membership outweigh its drawbacks. That doesn't strike me as any kind of interference to me, especially when basic personal rights are at stake.

//SIGNED//
Lev bim Bozgid
Attaché
Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT// Annatar.dat
2 Likes
2Y2KlIn.png

TO Attaché Lev bim Bozgid
FROM A. Mansard

SUBJ Re: Re: Annatar Information
8sjg2If.png

I will confess, if we had solid evidence of that theory regarding Annatar being unable to support post-scarcity, that feels to me like something worth attempting to head off. It'd be nice to prevent a catastrophe for once, rather than reacting to them after the damage has been done. But without Annatar reaching out or any clear fallout to indicate they're going that way, it's a hard subject to broach with them.

So here's what we're going to do. DS13 hasn't had a region Ambassador since Saya of Vulcan resigned and I'll be the first to admit that maybe it's just been bad luck, but it kind of shows. We'll go through our options here and send someone to post there permanently and you can get with them to discuss this Annatar thing, convince whoever it is that it needs to happen.

That's the best I can do.

//SIGNED//
Alex Mansard
Deputy Undersecretary
Foreign Affairs
4 Likes
ghHm3yn.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO Attaché Bozgid
CC --
FROM Ambassador Perim

SUBJ Federation Ambassador
2Y2KlIn.png

Mr. Bozgid!

I wanted to be the first to inform you of my ambassadorial appointment. In fact, I'm told you had something to do with the reopening of the position for our area, so whatever you did, I owe you a drink! In case it's not obvious, I want to be clear that my arrival is not in any way a negative reflection on your performance in your position. In fact, I believe you are long overdue for more responsibility and intend to avail myself of your assistance as soon as my office is up and running.

I'll be coming aboard later today, so drop by whenever you're free to sit down and talk!

//SIGNED//
Neema Perim
Federation Ambassador
6 Likes
2Y2KlIn.png

CC n/a

4OB3P0J.png

Alex,

Well, you could have just promoted me to Ambassador-at-Large, but I suppose two heads here on station would be better than one anyway, and fortunately I'm already acquainted with my new boss.

Though a promotion to Consul wouldn't be unappreciated too.

//SIGNED//
Lev bim Bozgid
Attaché
Deep Space 13
3 Likes