TO: LCMR Fozka, T | Subj: Project Nuthuza Update Log

BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO LCDR Fozka T.

FROM CMDR Tulon
SUBJ Project Nuthuza Update Log
4OB3P0J.png

Lt. Commander Fozka,

Work has begun sequestering space onboard Deep Space 13 in the Science Department for Project Nuthuza. As it is idiotic to not prepare to combat espionage attempts, steps are being taken for biological monitoring of a lower number of active personnel and a constant record of those personnel when onboard those secure levels. The severity of these monitoring measures will be determined soon.

Arguments against this location would be foolish at this point, but I understand your right to do so.

Modular systems are currently being arranged for full housing of acquired salvage as well as metallurgical analysis, with eventual enclosed weapon ranges included in planning for future development.

Staff selection and project planning is still ongoing, but I would be an edjbe't if they were not completed by the next project update.

//SIGNED//
Commander Tulon
Research Scientist, Deep Space 13
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Fozka T.

FROM CMDR Tulon
4OB3P0J.png

Lt. Commander Fozka,

Project Nuthuza research space has been properly prepared on the DS-13 Science Decks, biometric screening for security purposes is in place.

Research Staff has been selected and submitted for final approval. All approved staff must submit for a medical screening before lab access is granted. If you wish to argue any specific staff requirements or additional members, I require you to do so.

Prudence dictates the possible benefits of full staffing for much of the station 24 hour day cycle where applicable. Doing this would require another senior staff researcher.

Analyzing Fleet staff science records reveals a suitably qualified candidate to be Capt. Jezbei Viarehl Ceefax, Commanding Officer of the USS Lauda. Carrying a PhD in Material Science as well as having command experience, clearly they are sufficient.

They are the choice I am standing behind as project lead. I have already opened up dialog to bring them in to the project.

//SIGNED//
Commander Tulon

//Attachments//
ProjNuthRost.ros
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Fozka T.
CC CAPT Ceefax J.
FROM CMDR Tulon
4OB3P0J.png

Lt. Commander Fozka,

Captain Jezbei Viarehl Ceefax has expressed willingness to join Project Nuthuza, as well as being willing to take up an opposite shift schedule as myself. This should result in close to round the clock progress, allowing decent amounts of scrutiny. I have taken the opportunity to CC them into this and any further project updates.

Captain Ceefax will also be authorized to provide future project updates.

Early dialog indicates a different approach to the problem of Alloy Analysis than myself, I expect this to be an acceptable agitator for creative progress.

To those ends, to accommodate possible high energy exposure to Test Subject Material as suggested by the Captain, I am scrapping early expansion designs to the research area to make use of a larger vertical testing range.

Expect the next progress update to include the initial research plan and, time depending, initial results.

//SIGNED//
Commander Tulon

TO LCDR Fozka T.
CC CMDR Tulon, CAPT Ailes B., LCDR Nim V.
FROM CAPT Ceefax J.
SUBJ Initial progress and requisition request
4OB3P0J.png
Dear Lieutenant Commander Fozka

I hope that my involvement with this project will be conductive.
I am currently waiting on test results from several different analytical tests to identify the makeup of Azedi hull alloy, but am hopeful that a purely physical test will enable a determination of the composition of the alloy that will enable the development of a solution that enables existing systems to do significant amounts of work to Azedi hulls.

In the event that this does not prove practical, my current alternate solution is based around the following requisition request:

Requisition request:
1x TR-116 rifle
1x Microtransporter attachment for TR-116
1x Microtransporter control unit
1x pneumatic ram, minimum 900 feet per second, capable of exerting 50kN of force.
15x 10mm 'slices' of Azedi hull alloy, exterior face.

//SIGNED//
Captain Jezbei Ceefax
CO, USS Lauda, attached to Project Nuthuza.
//ATTACHMENT// Requisition.dat
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Fozka T.
CC CAPT Ceefax J.
FROM CMDR Tulon
4OB3P0J.png

Lt. Commander Fozka,

Project Nuthuza is under full operation. All decks sequestered for the project are secure, and all project staff have been vetted.

Prudence dictated a thorough primary analysis to verify previous investigation data as well as field reports. All scans and mass spectrometer tests conducted by myself confirm those reports. EM-spectrum and subspace-based scans are rendered useless due to beam scattering properties of the subject alloy.

It is also confirmed to not be some form of composite but a true alloy, which is in line with previous data.

Captain Ceefax's approach to analysis by using thermodynamic principles and properties of samples when rendered into a gas state should be unique enough to render results. I expect after their tests are finished they will be forwarding their interpretation of initial findings.

I am apparently foolish enough to be inspired to approach the problem of subject material composition unconventionally myself. I suspect needing to make a request of the diplomatic team and perhaps a fleet based science vessel soon. Anymore said at this juncture would be a waste of time.

//SIGNED//
Commander Tulon
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Fozka T.
CC CMDR Tulon
FROM CAPT Ceefax J.
SUBJ Initial progress and requisition request
4OB3P0J.png

Although it has taken time, largely in terms of discovering how to shift it into the gas phase for analysis, we have finally succeeded in identifying the makeup of the Azedi hull alloy as consisting of the following:
54% Neutronium
16% Unknown
10% Tritanium
13% Chrondite
7% Nitrium

The unknown compound bears a strong resemblance to Trellium, although it is not any recorded Trellium variant. I proprose naming this substance Trellium-Azedite, until we have a better name for it. It does not appear to have any effects on Vulcans, although Vulcan personnel working with it are treated according to the revised Phlox Protocol after each shift as a precaution.
As you know, Starfleet hull alloys do not contain more than a few percentage points of Neutronium, due to the relatively scarcity of the material and the current impossibility of replicating it, or creating it artificially. The combination of these two materials appears to be the primary source of the combined resilience of the hull to directed energy weapons fire and subspace sensors. Although I will continue experimentation, I do not believe that it will be straightforward to develop a method of defeating this armour using directed energy weapons, owning to the high Neutronium content.

I have a two current requisition requests:
1x 21st Century Terran 'Rheinmetall Rh-130 L/60' tank gun, which I can't replicate in the lab as I do not have a replicator capable of producing items in excess of five metres, while the full assembly is 9 metres.
500kg of Neutronium alloy, Starfleet hull applique grade, formed into pointed rods with the following dimensions: 30mm diameter, 1500mm length

//SIGNED//
Captain Jezbei Ceefax
CO, USS Lauda, attached to Project Nuthuza.
//ATTACHMENT// Requisition.dat
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO LCDR Sakkhet
CC CAPT J. Ceefax; CMDR Tulon
FROM LCDR T. Fozka
SUBJ FW: Initial progress and requisition request
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander,

Please view the above requisition request; I will leave the final decision on the requisition order to your judgement.

Strength and Valour,

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Throk Fozka
Science Department Chief, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet "Argo"
1 Like
4OB3P0J.png

TO CMDR M. Austin
CC LCDR T. Fozka
FROM LCDR Sakkhet

Commander, Given the nature of these supplies and the request, I thought it would be best to seek your approval before granting my personal authorization.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander Sakkhet
Chief of Operations/Deep Space 13
4OB3P0J.png

TO LCDR Sakkhet
CC LCDR T. Fozka
FROM CMDR Austin, M.

Lieutenant Commander,
Would you kindly outline what you need approval for? This email chain is longer than a ship’s anchor and twice as heavy.

//SIGNED//
Commander Maxwell S. Austin
Executive Officer, Deep Space 13
4OB3P0J.png

TO CMDR M. Austin
CC LCDR T. Fozka
FROM LCDR Sakkhet
SUBJ RE:FW: Initial progress and requisition request

My apologies Commander, the point I wish to seek approval for are the following;

1. 1x 21st Century Terran 'Rheinmetall Rh-130 L/60' Smoothbore anti-armor mobile cannon weapon
  2. 500kg of Neutronium alloy, Starfleet hull applique grade, formed into pointed rods with the following dimensions: 30mm diameter, 1500mm length

The destructive power of the smoothbore could put myself at risk for any liability suits should harm befall anyone as the result of these experiments, not to mention the cost for any destroyed property.

//SIGNED//
1 Like
4OB3P0J.png

TO LCDR Sakkhet
CC LCDR T. Fozka
FROM CMDR Austin, M.

Lieutenant Commander,
I have many thoughts regarding your request, one of them being that the Soviet Union is no longer a threat, so how that specific weapon would be useful eludes me.

Following that initial thought is that your intention is to use kinetic energy to apply a round of ammunition straight up the Azedi’s keister. While I think that approach has value consider the following:

1) You could achieve better results with a magnetic launcher, which has the advantage of avoiding the power burns; Tactical should be able to give you specifics

2) Any new munitions you design should attempt to conform to existing Starfleet standards as mounting 500 year-old guns to a ship’s hull would involve some pretty steep refits. In other words: a weapon is useless if we can’t deploy it to the field

Have you run any holodeck simulations—preferably with the safeties on full?

//SIGNED//
4OB3P0J.png

TO CMDR M. Austin
CC LCDR T. Fozka
FROM LCDR Sakkhet
SUBJ RE:FW: Initial progress and requisition request

My apologies Commander for the confusion, I was only just made aware of this project when the requisition request was passed to me by Commander Fozka.

For your questions, you will have to contact Captain Ceefax of the Lauda as she is the one behind the request.

//SIGNED//
4OB3P0J.png

TO LCDR Sakkhet
CC LCDR T. Fozka
FROM CMDR Austin, M.

Lieutenant Commander,
We'll fulfill this request if, and only if, Fleet Command approves of a weapons test activity. Fleet Command is in a better position to identify testing location, use of fleet assets, and whether this is worth the hill of beans it's built on.

Even then, Deep Space 13 will only give them the gun. Whether they blow their foot up in the process is their business.

//SIGNED//
BH1Pd8X.png

TO LCDR Fozka T.
CC CMDR Tulon
FROM CAPT Ceefax J.
SUBJ Kinetic Hardware Testing and Conclusions
4OB3P0J.png

The old-fashioned technology portion of Project Nuthaza has concluded with the following results:
1. Kinetic weapons are capable of delivering damaging impact forces to Azedi hull alloy.
2. This damage is minimal, and typically requires multiple strikes to the same segment of hull to have significant effects. More concentrated Neutronium might resolve this issue. However, getting penetrators made from pure N0 is likely to be extremely complicated and result in very awkward questions from SFHQ about use of resources.
3. Significant technological complications occurred when attempting to get the 'Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilised Discarding Sabot' rounds to behave themselves. As these were being tested in a suitable environment, the resulting mishaps did not cause any damage to the station or laboratory, or endanger lab personnel.
4. Larger scale rounds were less well behaved them smaller ones. Although they have significant potential, the holodeck testing revealed that scaling up the projectiles would result in unpredictable behaviours, even when fired using the magnetic launchers suggested by Cmdr. Austin.

Conclusion: Although they have potential, kinetic-kill weapons are not suitable for application to the Azedi problems Nuthaza is attempting to resolve.

Further research directions:
The next stage is to attempt to optimise the ability of standard Starfleet phaser hardware to transfer energy into Azedi hull alloy. The experimental phase will require a hand phaser, thermal camera, a oscilloscope, and other tools as required to map and test the absorption properties of the material, and the ability of standard hardware to transfer energy into the material to maximise thermal shock and resulting fracturing of the material.

//SIGNED//
Captain Jebzei Ceefax
Commanding Officer, USS Lauda
Starfleet 38th Fleet.
2 Likes