To: RDML Konieczko | Subj: Betreka Nebula

BH1Pd8X.png

TO RDML Konieczko
CC CMDR Caspius
FROM CAPT Thiessen
SUBJ Betreka Nebula
4OB3P0J.png

Admiral,

I'd like your input regarding a situation before proceeding further. This is time sensitive, so I'm responding to you quickly on receipt of the tracking information.

Yesterday I was called down to sickbay by a pair of medical officers with concerns regarding an Irreo who had boarded DS13 with injuries. He has come seeking our medical assistance many times in the past, and he had done so this time as well. With the assistance of the translation devices they were able to determine why it was important that he leave quickly, as he seemed in a rush. The doctors are certain that he signed that he was being sold.

Given the very real possibility that we're looking at a slave market being conducted and given the past incidents with the Irreo I am of the opinion we need to promptly investigate this. I ordered operations to place a tracker on the Irreo's shuttle - we were able to trace the shuttle to the Betreka Nebula, where we lost it at the entrance to the Nebula due to interference.

With the past concerns of diplomatic repercussions on the sensitive subject of the Irreo (Ashkeph) I have held off sending one of the starbase vessels in order to ask fleet command's opinion and approval. Thank you for understanding the time sensitive nature.

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
Commanding Officer, Deep Space Thirteen
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94749.5
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT. Thiessen, T.
CC CMDR. Caspius
FROM RDML. Konieczko, D.

SUBJ RE: Betreka Nebula
AKas0II.png

Captain Thiessen,

If the 'Discard Trade' has made it's way to Deep Space 13 in some form then it arguably becomes your responsibility as the Starbase's Commanding officer to investigate. You are authorized to dispatch one of the starbase defense vessels in this case as you see fit.

I should point out before you do however that unless it was a mistake you noted the irreo in question was in a hurry to be sold into slavery himself. That seems odd to me that he would be in a hurry for his own sale into slavery. Is it possible that the translation devices malfunctioned in their translation?

//SIGNED//
Rear Admiral Dmitri Konieczko
Executive Officer
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94749.6
TO RDML Konieczko
CC CMDR Caspius
FROM CAPT Thiessen
SUBJ Re: Betreka Nebula
4OB3P0J.png

Admiral,

Thank you for the clearance. U.S.S. Asimov will be departing shortly with intent to research these potential operations and put a stop to any such operations if they're operating in our region.

In reference to your translation concern, that was my concern too. Both Holliday and Costas seemed positive that was the translation. There is, in history, some precedence for that kind of behavior among the abused. I don't want to assume completely that's what we're dealing with, but it's worth considering.

We'll be in contact on this matter.

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94766.3
TO RDML Konieczko
CC CMDR Caspius
FROM CAPT Thiessen
4OB3P0J.png

Rear Admiral,

Our expedition to the Nebula wasn't entirely eventful but I'm contacting you to let you know my concerns.

Reviewing information in prior files, the Betreka Nebula is listed as having been an area for pirates to hide in 2416 reports. We're lacking much reporting on the area since 2416, and I'm not certain who has been in that region recently. Given that and the odd behavior noted in the report above, I suggested in the AAR we consider perhaps setting up some sensor platforms keyed to the nebula's special settings - perhaps some stealth platforms - to monitor the area.

With unchecked but noted activity of pirates previously and spoken of but uncaught 'slave' activity it's my belief that even if this one individual was mistaken (and I don't think this was a mistake) this nebula should be monitored.

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94777.4
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT. Thiessen, T.
CC CMDR. Caspius
FROM RDML. Konieczko, D.

AKas0II.png

Captain Thiessen,

I have read your report and your recommendation. You are correct in that there are several reports citing pirate activity, however based on your report of your recent expedition the Asimov found nothing save one suspicious shuttle.

While the recommendation for assorted platforms to be deployed would make sense on the surface, the Betreka Nebula is not in Federation space. The solution may be to attempt to incorporate the nebula into some of our patrol routes. An increased and visible presence of Starfleet ships would very likely ward off any undesirables.

//SIGNED//
Executive Officer
38th Fleet 'Argo'
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94777.7
TO RDML Konieczko
CC CMDR Caspius
FROM CAPT Thiessen
4OB3P0J.png

Admiral,

It is correct that Asimov's expedition found nothing outwardly suspicious aside from the shuttle and the speed from which said shuttle was able to leave our sensors. While I am aware that on that mission it left us with no evidence to back up the concerns related to slaving, I still do believe that what my medical staff were signed by the Irreo was correct and that our locating the removed tracking device - as well as that nebula's history of piracy - indicate that slaving operations have occurred in the area.

Implementation of patrols over sensor platforms is of course your call Sir, on moral grounds I have outlined my concerns below. It is by no means an attempt to criticize your idea but to expand upon it.

My concern would be that if we work with our allies in the Cardassian Union and reroute ship patrols through the nebula as possible, that the goal should potentially not be to ward off undesirables but to focus on documenting and eliminating piracy operations in those areas if the situation arises, if they are indeed trading in the Irreo "discard trade" like our constant starbase guest had indicated.

While 2492 has command focus in addition to many other matters, thank you for considering folding this in to the schedule.

Thank you,

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94778.8
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CAPT. Thiessen, T.
CC --
FROM RDML. Konieczko, D.

AKas0II.png

Tau,

Come on by my office later, we'll discuss this recommendation.

//SIGNED//
Executive Officer
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes