Trouble starting STO, any suggestions?

It seems like the new drivers by AMD have kinda messed up. I am having issues in two games now, STO being the second.

I am running and AMD Radeon 7850, Windows 10, I seemed to log into STO fine until I updated my drivers, now the game just crashes after I press Engage on the launcher. I tried installing new beta drivers, still same issue, I tried verifying the game files, no luck.

I can start the game in Safe Mode, which suggests it IS a graphics driver issue, as when I start raising the sliders the game crashes again.

I guess the next thing I can try and do is gradually raise each graphic setting (not the sliders), see which one crashes the game.

But other than doing that or reinstalling the game client entirely, does anyone have a suggestion?

P.S.: I am running the game on DirectX 11, so I guess that will be another thing to check, I get the option for DirectX 9.
Okay for anyone having similar issues in the future, these are the settings that seem to break it:

Anti-aliasing (*crai*) at anything higher than "None".
Postprocessing with bloom set to high (works with bloom at low).

This is running DirectX 11.
3 Likes
Shading is also a bit... worrisome
wrote:
Shading is also a bit... worrisome

Yes, it usually is the number one culprit in games!
I had crashing and freezing issues trying to run the game on DirectX 11. I switched the setting back to DirectX 9 (which you can thankfully do in the graphics settings) and have had zero issues since. Probably worth a try. Only helps if you can actually get in the game though.
wrote:
I had crashing and freezing issues trying to run the game on DirectX 11. I switched the setting back to DirectX 9 (which you can thankfully do in the graphics settings) and have had zero issues since. Probably worth a try. Only helps if you can actually get in the game though.

If I turn off those two settings I mentioned I can get in with DirectX 11. How much difference do you spot with DirectX 9?
STO, for me, freezes on load unless shadows aren't loaded
The difference between DirexctX 9 and 11 in STO is pretty much not noticeable, other than on a few reflection things such as the 7 of 9 suit and the like. But even there the difference is minimal.
1 Like
wrote:
The difference between DirexctX 9 and 11 in STO is pretty much not noticeable, other than on a few reflection things such as the 7 of 9 suit and the like. But even there the difference is minimal.

Righty, that's good to know, might give it a go. Thank you :)

EDIT: DirectX 9 doesn't fix it, it seems I have to stick to keeping bloom to low and anti-aliasing off. It's the tribbles, I tell you.
wrote:
STO, for me, freezes on load unless shadows aren't loaded

Yes, I understand. Luckily they don't misbehave with me, but shadows do tend to be some of the most taxing settings in many games, so I am not surprised that's happening with your game.
It's odd. I can activate them once in-game, but it won't go past the "New Dawn" splash