U.S.S. Atlantis on Assignment to DS9

((This thread is meant to contain communications related to the deployment of the U.S.S. Atlantis, and her crew drawn from Deep Space 13, in the 38th Fleet task force despatched to Deep Space 9, beginning Stardate 94516.1, 8-22 July 2018.))

BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94515.2
Security Level 1: Open
TO CAPT Thiessen
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. U.S.S. Atlantis Service
4OB3P0J.png

Captain Thiessen,

In accordance with your orders, I have selected key personnel for service aboard Atlantis. As agreed, I have transferred Commanders Strand and Pohl to serve as second and third officers respectively, and the heads of their respective departments. In addition, after some consideration, I have selected Lieutenant Commander Kermit as Executive Officer and Chief of Operations. All three transfers are effective at the start of Alpha shift, Stardate 94516.1.

I will be selecting a Chief Engineer and Chief Science Officer in due course. As I deem these to be lower-priority assignments given the expected nature of our mission, I will choose two non-chief department personnel from the DS-13 roster. I will be soliciting Lieutenant Commander Kermit's advice prior to making my selection. Giving him the option to have input into the crew selection is an important command skill with which he should become increasingly familiar.

Whilst I am on assignment, Commander Sivath will be your acting executive officer. I have no doubt that, as a Vulcan, he will serve you with the same efficiency that I have done. And I may add, sir, that this opportunity to work together will probably prove beneficial for both you and for Commander Sivath.

If you require anything before I depart, I will likely be found about Atlantis, seeing to the final preparations for departure.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
Executive Officer, Deep Space 13
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94515.2
TO LCDR J.Kermit
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Selection of U.S.S. Atlantis Chief Officers
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander Kermit,

Because you will be serving as the Executive Officer of Atlantis during our deployment, it would be well for you to have a degree of input regarding the remaining chief officer positions. The personnel selected should be non-chief officers from Deep Space 13. Volunteers are of especial interest.

If you have any recommendations for the posts of Chief Engineer and Chief Science Officer, you should present them at your earliest convenience. I will be assigning the rest of the crew and officer complement, unless you have further recommendations, and will finalise the assignment roster prior to our departure.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94515.2
TO CMDR Caspius
CC --
FROM CAPT Thiessen
SUBJ. Re: U.S.S. Atlantis Service
4OB3P0J.png

Commander,

Thank you for the notice. Please keep me updated when it comes to your departure.

Good luck out there.

//SIGNED//
Captain Tau Thiessen
Commanding Officer, Deep Space Thirteen
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Caspius
CC --
FROM LCDR Kermit

SUBJ Selection of U.S.S. Atlantis Chief Officers
4OB3P0J.png

Commander,

While I didn't get a chance to put out a call for volunteers, I did take a short look through the dossiers of senior officers in both departments. I'd like to recommend Lieutenants Lang and Seral for engineering and science respectively. Both are relatively recent transfers and both are thoroughly technically qualified, though neither appears to have held significant leadership positions previously. I believe this may be a good opportunity to provide them with that experience while also ensuring that our vessel is staffed by capable officers.

With that said, I'm not personally acquainted with either officer, nor most in their departments. If you have a greater insight into more appropriate candidates I'd, of course, prefer to favor your judgment.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander James Kermit
Acting Chief of Operations, DS13
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94515.3
TO LCDR J.Kermit
CC CAPT Thiessen
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Selection of U.S.S. Atlantis Chief Officers
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander,

Last-minute changes forced by necessity are also a feature of command, as you are undoubtedly aware. Given the several ongoing investigations on station, and Commander Strand's comparitive inexperience with starship tactical manoeuvres, I have decided to cancel his transfer. I will select a new Chief of Security/Tactical presently.

Lieutenants Lang and Seral seem to me to be acceptable selections for the position of Chief Engineer and Chief Science Officer, respectively. I will notify them of their transfer. Please meet with them (and the other senior staff) at your earliest convenience to discuss the schedule and roster of the Atlantis watch rotations and to address any concerns they may have.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94515.3
TO LT Lang, LT S'Nat
CC CAPT Thiessen
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Assignment to U.S.S. Atlantis
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenants Lang and S'Nat,

Pursuant to orders received on Stardate 94514.3, you are ordered to report for service aboard U.S.S. Atlantis, Commander Caspius, commanding, at the start of Alpha shift, Stardate 94516.1, for deployment with the 38th Fleet task force to Deep Space 9.

Your assignments are as follows:

Lieutenant Lang: Chief Engineer.
Lieutenant S'Nat: Chief Science Officer.

If you have any outstanding business on Deep Space 13, you should make use of this time to notify your department chief so that they may reassign your duties for the duration of your task force assignment.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94516.1
TO LCDR Kermit, LCDR Sul, CMDR Pohl, LT Lang, LT S'Nat
CC CAPT Thiessen
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Departure Notice
4OB3P0J.png

Senior officers assigned to the U.S.S. Atlantis,

Departure will commence presently. Please ensure that you have finalised all station-side business in advance of our departure. Your transfer requests have been processed, and you have been assigned the relevant security protocols aboard Atlantis.

Our senior staff is as follows:
Commander Caspius, commanding
Lt. Commander Kermit, executive officer
Lt. Commander Sul, Chief Tactical/Security Officer and second officer
Commander Pohl, Chief Medical Officer and third officer
Lieutenant Lang, Chief Engineer and fourth officer
Lieutenant S'Nat, Chief Science Officer and fifth officer

En route to Deep Space 9, we will be visiting Talos Junction to drop off some construction supplies. First Officer Kermit will provide you with any details, should they be required. This slight detour will not delay our arrival at Deep Space 9.

I anticipate a positive working relationship with all of you. Contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
U.S.S. Atlantis, Commanding

//ATTACHMENTS//
U.S.S. Atlantis Crew Roster
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94517.4
Security Level 2 - Confidential

TO CMDR. Caspius
CC --
FROM RDML Konieczko, D.

SUBJ Engineer and Medical teams needed
AKas0II.png

Commander Caspius,

If you haven't disembarked the Atlantis yet you may still have noticed the scale of damage lasting to Deep Space 9. We've been requested to provide engineers to assist with repairs to much of DS9. Luckily vital systems have already been brought back online however docking rings, upper pylons and many other systems and maintenance still will need to be performed. Available engineers should report to Starfleet Engineering aboard Deep Space 9.

Additionally medical teams are being requested to perform triage on Bajor, any of the medical officers the Atlantis can spare should contact Starfleet Medical aboard Deep Space 9.

//SIGNED//
Rear Admiral Dmitri Konieczko
Executive Officer
38th Fleet 'Argo'
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
TO RDML Konieczko
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Engineer and Medical teams needed
4OB3P0J.png

Commodore Konieczko,

I was surprised to see that the damage to Deep Space 9 was greater than anticipated from the reports. I will notify Lieutenant Lang of the need for engineers on DS9, and I will have Commander Pohl contact Bajor to arrange triage teams for immediate deployment.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94517.9
TO CMDR Pohl, LT Lang
CC LCDR Kermit
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Medical and Engineering Aid
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Pohl,

I have been notified by Fleet Command that Bajor is in need of triage teams. Assisting with their request is now our first priority. Contact the head of emergency medical services on Bajor, and coordinate what assistance we can provide.

Lieutenant Lang,

Our second priority is to assist Deep Space 9 with emergency repairs: although vital systems have already been brought back online, repairs are still needed on the docking rings, upper pylons, and many other systems. Contact Starfleet Engineering aboard Deep Space 9 and coordinate our engineering crew to help facilitate the repairs.

If either of you require assistance in carrying out these orders, contact Lieutenant Commander Kermit or myself.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94522.9
TO Administrator Elkaar, Ashalla Medical Complex
CC CMDR Caspius
FROM CMDR Pohl
SUBJ. Triage Assistance
4OB3P0J.png

Administrator Elkaar:

I have been notified that Bajor is in need of triage teams. My staff and I are prepared to assist you with initial triage and subsequent treatment when Atlantis is within transporter range. If you will provide coordinates my teams can transport directly to your treatment facilities and begin work immediately. Additionally, Atlantis is fully staffed and equipped to treat patients in our sickbay; if you have any critical cases that need close attention or complex care, please advise and we will arrange to beam them aboard.

//SIGNED//
M. Pohl
CMO/Deep Space 13
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94525.5
TO CMDR Caspius
CC USS Atlantis Senior Officers
FROM LT Seral
SUBJ. Sciences Contribution
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Caspius,

Since coming on board I have been rallying the small sciences staff available. Our first task to prepare for possible contact with the Hur'q. Our department has been run through the emergency drills, damage control and boarding defense drills. I am satisfied that we will be able to aid and not be a hindrance should this come to pass.

Meanwhile, I have made it a priority to develop as much context with the available information as possible.

Data transfer requests have been made to the Alliance, DS9 and currently deployed forces for any historical data, including DNA mapping, virtualized modeling, sensor data from contact, and anecdotal evidence of their Hur'q encounters. Initial analysis work groups are focused upon two fronts.

1) Starship and Swarm patterns in conjunction with signals intelligence and sensor data. I am leading a work group attempting to establish patterns in their movements and actions in relation with the signals intercepted. As of this time, we believe there is a component missing, and are attempting to effort the necessary sensor requirements that will be needed to capture the missing component of their communications.

It is my intent to request a series of modified Class VI Probes to be pressed into service to first aid in acquiring the Hur'q signals, and then in jamming them. A swarm disrupted in this manner, if truly insectoid of mind, would be significantly less effective and easily dispatched. I am aware our supply of these probes is limited, I request that the specifications be transmitted to the fleet in order to multiply our resources in this task.

2) Any data or biological sampling of living or deceased Hur'q. I have requested full record of research data of living Hur'q biological entities captured previously. I have a work group attempting to virtualize models based upon the DNA of the several different known entity types in order to analyze weaknesses and strengths of the species.

Intent is to share data across the Alliance as it becomes available, and offer tactical more precise information for dealing with the threats. Perhaps when engineering is freed from emergency repair duties, they will be inspired by our findings as well.

A third research front is under development but I require some assistance. I requested data concerning any additional tools, weapons, or defensive systems such as armor or personal shielding the Hur'q biological entities have been witnessed using. I have two of the most promising analysts of our team focused upon their weaponry in order to help us find a way to neutralize or mitigate damage potentials should we face them in the flesh. I am requesting an engineer be assigned to their work group when available in effort to yield the best results possible in the time allotted.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Seral Val S'Nat
Acting Chief Science Officer, USS Atlantis
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94525.6
TO LT Seral, VDML Konieczko
CC LCDR J.Kermit
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Sciences Contribution
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant,

Your work on analysing Hur'q tactical movements, biological data, and defensive capabilities is noted.

I have included Commodore Konieczko in this communication because he would be the appropriate officer to make decisions about evaluating and distributing your Class VI Probe modifcations to the entire fleet.

With regard to further analyses, I include Lieutenant Commander Kermit in this exchange. As First Officer, he can adjust the duty roster to provide you with the option of one extra engineer during each duty shift.

If your data provides any more useful information, do not hesitate to contact myself and LCDR Kermit.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94533.25
TO CMDR Caspius
CC LCDR Kermit
FROM LT Seral
SUBJ. Hur'q Communications
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Caspius,

I am reporting directly as ordered, CC to LCDR Kermit as a courtesy due your XO.

I am concerned by the further analysis of the Hur'q communications. While I believe that the probe network should alert us to the subspace and real space electromagnetic emanations produced by the Hur'q, there is still an underlying component that is not yet discovered. Providing correlation, Ant swarms communicate one to one with a scent marker and vibrations of the antenna. In order to obtain food the colony sends out scouts in all directions. When the ant finds appropriate sustenance it begins to signal the colony with a unique scent marker. It will make it's way back to the colony leaving the trail of that scent marker from the point of discovered food until it returns to the colony. Should the scout be destroyed, the scent marker would remain. I am not suggesting that such a marker in scent exists, but this is a species with evolved biological tools and ships capable of warp travel.

What I am suggesting, is that it is possible that a scout has already been where they are going to go, and may be transmitting a homing beacon to feeding grounds while traveling back to the hive to draw them to sustenance. There may be a marker, beacon or a scout that is drawing them to their feeding grounds. I suggest that major population centers, especially those who have already been targets of the Hur'q be scanned for the already identified subspace, and realspace em signals of the Hur'q. With any positive results being given a great deal of focus to locate the scout and eliminate the signal. While this may not stop the Hur'q from swarming through the galaxy, it may avoid directed attacks on major population centers.

Such scans should be done on the Bajor system as well. While we are somewhat certain DS9 will be in the way of anything coming out of the wormhole, we should verify that there is not still a flame for these insectiods to be drawn to in Bajor space. There are too many refugees in harms way to allow any possible avenue of inquiry to be left unexplored.

//SIGNED//
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94534.5
TO RDML Konieczko, LT Seral
CC LCDR J.Kermit
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Fwd. Hur'q Communications
4OB3P0J.png

Commodore Konieczko,

I attach LT Seral's forwarded message regarding Hur'q communications. Her comments, while in some ways general, may nevertheless provide other ships in the task force with avenues of enquiry. The more science crews working on this problem, the better the chance of discovering whether or not there is an unknown communications element, and its nature.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94536.1
TO CMDR Caspius
CC LCDR Kermit
FROM LT Seral
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Caspius,

Please see attached link to data file made available last evening concerning the Masan System discoveries. Preliminary perusal indicates this is exactly the type of information the Atlantis Sciences department requested from the Gamma Quadrant 'allies'.

While I have not not had time to do a deep analysis, I have diverted attention of some key personel of my group to study and analyze the data. We should be able to confirm hypotheses or discount them in just a few hours. One thing that stands out to my first reading was the analysis of the metalic shell material they use, "Germanium". This is an element we are familiar with, and the modifications to sensor protocols are being readied for transmission upon your order. ** See Modifications file with reduced sensor band based on germanium crystal vibration wavelenths.**

With this data in hand, I can confidently state that we should be specifically looking for a signal guiding the swarms originating at their targets. If the species is in a frenzied state, they may not even be aware of their destinations or targets. However, until the signals are found and removed, there will be a danger of additional swarm groups.

I have instructed group 3 to refocus upon fine tuning phaser systems to more effective results against the Germanium based hulls. Expect report and specifications to be on your desk within 8 hours.

//SIGNED//
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94542.65
Security Level 2: Confidential
TO CMDR Caspius
CC LCDR Kermit
FROM LT Seral
SUBJ. Hur'q Action Plans
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Caspius,

Please see attached data report to be filed including all relevant data, analysis and conclusions. This is including multiple updates and fine tuning of previous conclusions and tactical suggestions.
-
-
Spoiler: Multidisciplinary Consultation on Atlantis Sciences Dept Research and Analysis of the Hur’qShow

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 94542.7
FILED BY:
LT Seral Val S’Nat
SECURITY:
Level 2 - Confidential

MISSION: Multidisciplinary Consultation on Atlantis Sciences Dept Research and Analysis of the Hur’q

OUTCOME: Data Analysis forwarded to relevant departments: concerning Tactical Solutions, Sensor Adjustments, and future work products. AAR Sciences Analysis

KEY PERSONNEL:
RADL D. Konieczko (Task Force Command)
CDR Caspius (USS Atlantis C.O.)
Atlantis Sciences Group - See Mission Roster
Multidisciplinary Group -

NARRATIVE: Analysis of the Hur’q battle remains from multiple battlefields, sensor records, as well as biological samples taken, data recovered from Dominion science installation was all studied and correlated. The discovery of the base material to be the metallic substance of Germanium and analysis of the process of it’s incorporation lead to the working adjustment of Starfleet weapons to increase effectiveness. The multidisciplinary team was able to take the initial conclusions of the sciences department and build a working solution to be simulated and tested by consulting team members. The recovery of a large sample of the husk of a capital ship threatening Betazed was re-analyzed, and used to confirm findings as well as test hypothesis and build simulations. The resulting harmonics range is established to cover the variations of Hur’q materials produced over thousands of years, with degradations of production coinciding with degradation of the mental state of the Hur’q.

Sensor data from the Hur’q recorded and collected by the probe network has been further analyzed. A program of alternating signals disruption to echo, repeat and cancel out in random patterns the communications within the swarms is being presented as a signals defense.

Medical and Biological data recorded from multiple battlefields, studies of samples and records of Dominion experiments have been correlated in order to aid Starfleet medical in a biological effort to pacify the Hur’q. What little psychological evidence and observations could be collated have been presented for assistance of counselors in the Starfleet Medical efforts.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Recommendations forwarded through Commander Caspian’s office.
a) Targeting Solutions Range - *** Harmonics Range Data ***
b) Sensor Resolution Correction - *** Hur'q Signals Disruption Program ***
c) Medical/Biological Analysis Correlation - *** Necessary Data Files, Notated ***

OOC: This was chapter Four of the Argo DS9 Defense Campaign
-
-
//SIGNED//
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94544.4
TO LT Seral
CC LCDR Kermit
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Hur'q Action Plans
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant,

Submission acknowledged. Your team's work on this matter has been satisfactory.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94552.25
Security Level 2: Confidential
TO CMDR Caspius
CC LCDR Kermit
FROM LT Seral
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Caspius,

Please see attached data file containing a holographic recreation of the the conflict episode with the Hur'q nearing the Trill System. This is intended for study and training simulations, the original intent was to distribute to fleet commanders with permission of yourself and the Admiral. I no longer see the urgency in such; however, I provide the program data for your decision.

Also, while unfortunate the timing considering that hostilities have been officially ceased, the computer was finally able to decode the data streams of the Hur'q.

To suffice, much of the transmissions were unintelligible ramblings and rantings. There were however rudimentary directional guidance signals, homing in on scout beacons as I had surmised. The larger craft were sending out guidance and course correction data, indicating that the swarm ships were incapable of extreme range reception, or were lacking navigational, computational or rational data processing.

Analysis indicates a natural dominance of the larger vessels over the smaller. Not a size dominance, but a hierarchy of standing which happens to locate the greater power and ranking within the larger vessels.

The majority of the communication signals coming from the swarm were exclamatory, about hunger, need, and fury. The controlling signals did not give orders, just direction and a single imperative set; "Destroy and consume" There was several indicated differences when communication signals indicated a ship of the Federation fleet, these were designated both as competition and food. The assumption was to heighten the frenzy, and speed destruction.

The pilot/controllers of the swarm ships were undoubtedly less in control of their faculties. The controllers of the capital sized craft were more in control but only slightly, able to coordinate and use others as tools, but no less ravened.

In the ultimate analysis, the Hur'q communication signals are proof of the mental state in which we expected to find them after discovering the data from the dominion facility. This may not be of much use now that command has ordered a cease and desist of hostilities. However, I am including a series of instructions to modify the signals interference program to more productive use.

//SIGNED//
Attached: - *** Simulation Trill-H94550 - 4D Holo-mapping of encounter, and battle.
Attached: - *** Hur'q Coms Program 1 - Translation Matrix with simplified language structure.
Attached: - *** Hur'q Coms Program 2 - Command override instruction / target re-designation.
1 Like
BH1Pd8X.png
TO RDML Konieczko
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. FWD Hur'q Communications
4OB3P0J.png

Commodore,

Please see the forwarded message from LT Seral, including several attachments, regarding Hur'q Communications. I would suggest that this may be worth sharing with our xenobiology personnel as well.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
1 Like