1 Mar: Underworld, part 2

During the visit to the trade hub of Underworld, KDF and allies meet an old friend...

--

When: Sunday, Mar 1, Alpha-1

Audience: Klingon and allies

Event type: Social RP

Starting point: Mission map

OOC point of contact: @crystyll
1 Like
Spoiler: Mission LogShow
Lexi@crystyll | Previously: Sadia & Co. joined Lorri for a trip to the distant trade hub of Underworld. Run by a species called the Carrans who are notoriously rigid with a contract-based society, and the +

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: + firepower to reinforce it without prejudice. While Lorri proceeded to explore more... personal indulgences on the surface, Sadia and the other went straight for an arms merchant where they quickly+

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: + learned the dangers of dealing in this place. An slimy Yrdian attempted to elicit a contract thumb print from Sadia before an old friend... dropped in, to cut him off. After a brief reunion, the +

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: + group relocates to a nearby cantina to get the lay of the land...

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Small seedy bars...feels like homecoming to me."

Lexi@crystyll laughs while grabbing herself a drink of something green-looking, "I still can't believe you guys found your way all the way out here. What brings you to this charming little neighborhood anyway?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *looks around* Well, OSN organized this little venture, rest of us here as support mostly.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: I don't think you know captain Ku'jho? *motions to big gorn*

[Local] Warhunter Ku'jho@Domarg: <looks to Lexi> Greetingsss Lexi.

Lexi@crystyll smiles, bowing her head to the greeting before she continues

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "OSN huh? Wonder how they even came to know about this place. Aren't any of them with our mission that I'm aware of"

Lexi@crystyll looks up... and up, "The new me, huh?" she smirks, "I would make a quip about having big shoes to fill but..." looks him up and down again, "...something tells me that isn't a problem for you!"

Istar@anncarise laughs at Lexi's comment.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "But jokes aside, this crew only take the best. So if you're good by them, you're good by me"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *grins as she checks the list of drinks, if available*

Warhunter Ku'jho@Domarg grins a bit and nods.

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Dunno the specifics of how we learned about this place myself, but the Carrans get around. Seem a few of 'em before, though I didn't know they were from here."

Lexi@crystyll | There are replicator menus for a wider variety of more familiar beverages, the non-replicated stock is a little more unfamiliar

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Apparently we heard there's a Scryer cell here, maybe even one of the friendly ones."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "A friendly cell? That'll be the day..."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Well, it would be a good change of pace. If at least neutral. *to Lexi* How did you get here?

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Still..." she hrms, "...Scryer Network's presence here could explain a few things in my own investigation"

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Well, friendly as in we both want the current Scryer gone...already had help from a few of their operatives in our last operation."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *to Ku'jho* This here is captain Lexi, she was part of our task force for a while - and she's sorely missed.

Lexi@crystyll looks to Sadia, "We discovered this place a few weeks back with the Valley Forge. One of their young officers found a Klingon relic here that she gave me after recognizing it as the house insignia +

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: + adorning the wings of the QanwI'. We had pressed on however and now they're all tied up some political BS with the locals further rimward, so I came back here to get some answers"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Remember the reason I was pushed towards this mission, boss?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: It's been a while, but I know you are looking to restore the House and help the survivors.

Lexi@crystyll nods, "Those responsible were trying to hunt me down. My intel 'encouraged' me to pursue this assignment both to find answers, and to evade their assassins"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "It did not work. We were set upon by a bounty hunting Nuhar construct - sentient ancient starships with a serious chip on their shoulders"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *isn't interested in experimenting, so she grabs replicated orange juice*

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Nuhar? Never heard about those until now.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "No reason why you would. Even all the way out here we are barely at the border of their old territory"

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Ancient sentient starships as in a ship that's got AI and commandeered by bounty hunters, or?"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Not quite. As in a ship that is one big AI construct. Just so happens that this one took to the life of a bounty hunter"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Point is; that it's final transmission led me back here. So I have reason to believe that the source of the contract on me is here, or at least brokered through here. The Scryer's presence - given +

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: + our colourful history - is the best lead so far"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *sips drink* So you are also looking for the Scryer network.

Lexi@crystyll nods, "I am. Now that I know they are here, anyway"

Egzo@HF_Mudd continues to sit quietly, letting the ladies get caught up.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Is there more of these Nuhar looking for you?

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Unknown. It is possible that the same bounty hunter is still out there, as it's final transmission could have been a backup. But I doubt even a Nuhar construct would attack here"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "If not, there's every chance that another hunter could take up the contract instead. Not likely another construct through, we've met a few of these Nuhar vessels and the rest have been more friendly"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *nods* We arrived here using the Carran courier, no ships unfortunately to help out.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "The QanwI' is in orbit. But it will be of little to no use here. If we are going to find anything, it will be on the ground"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: We prectically stepped off the boat when you found us, so we had no time for investigation. Did you manage to find any leads?

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "I know that this district is an epicentre for bounty contracts. I would surmise that the Scryer Network has a presence nearby"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Likely quite an open and corporate one, given how everything runs here. A public facade to the Network, as it were"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Hm, gun merchant mentioned Feyriad Arms have their shop set up on the local plaza.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: They are bulk weapon trader, might be what we are looking for.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "At the very least, that plaza sounds like quite a focal point for the district. If we're going to find anything, there seems most likely"

Egzo@HF_Mudd grunts in agreement.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: I guess that's our next stop.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *finishes her drink*

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Let's get going, folks!

Istar@anncarise follows the group on, keeping alert for nearby dangers.

Istar@anncarise FX | The group makes their way into the Feyriad Arms building, finding themselves in a corporate lobby. There are only two visible security guards, both of the unrecognized, possibly reptilian -

Istar@anncarise - species with spikes on their faces. Two other members of the species, one of them lacking facial spikes, stand at a reception desk further into the lobby.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *to Istar* Any suggestions on how to apporach this? Do we know anything about these people?

Istar@anncarise shakes her head, "I don't recognize 'em. Guessing they're probably from a species we've not met yet whose setting up shop here in Underworld."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *to Lexi* Any previous encounters with them in this area of space?

Lexi@crystyll shakes her head as well, "Many of the species here look a little more familiar to me now. But mostly just from time spent here, I don't really know anything about them"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Very well, let's play this by the ear.

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Well they look reptilian from my experience o' species...maybe they'll like the Gorn?"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Could be"

Warhunter Ku'jho@Domarg sniffs the air.."Don't sssmell like gorn."

Istar@anncarise | One of the receptionists, the one without facial spikes, turns to the approaching group, "Greetings. How may we help you today?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *approaches the reception desk* Strength and Honor. I'm Captain Cynis of the Klingon defense force. I was directed to you as the biggest local weapon supplier.

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "Yes, Feyriad Arms is a proud distributer of Eltreiah make weapons, some of the finest from Underworld to Colonial space. Are you looking for single item purchases, large orders -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - or a long-term supply contract?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: I'm looking to expand my arsenal, both for personal and ship-sized weaponry. I was looking for a possible presentation of your goods.

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "I'm afraid we cannot do live fire demonstrations here on Carr, but we do have holographic demonstrations and specification data on our weapons."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Understandable, when can we schedule a holodeck demonstration, and to whom can I talk about a possible larger deal?

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "I can schedule a demonstration and a meeting with one of our representatives now."

Istar@anncarise | The Receptionist takes out a datapad and hands it over to Sadia, "Here are our available timeslots. I'm afraid there will be a little bit of a wait, as our representatives are very busy."

[Team] Istar@anncarise: AKA will probably be done offscreen afterwards so we don't spend forever negotiating a trade deal! hehe

[Team] Istar@anncarise: This isn't the sort of trade negotiations where the other party tries to gas you and then send combat droids to assassinate you

[Team] Egzo@HF_Mudd: awww ;)

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Good. Also, do you know any security or mercenary organizations you could recommend?

[Team] Sadia@gulremal: sure, I'm just trying to figure out how to proceed :)

[Team] Sadia@gulremal: others can freely chip in, plox

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "Certainly. Underworld is a prime location for the hiring of mercenaries."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: So I was told. Anyone of note that handles such contracts?

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "The Carrans are known for their brokering talents. The Carran Free Armies Association handles most mercenary brokering here, while the Carran Bounty Association provides -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - bounty services on specific targets. If you want something more discreet, the Scryer Network usually handles that nowadays."

Egzo@HF_Mudd grunts, "Scryer Network?" like the dumb muscle he's supposed to be.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Does this Network have a way to contact them?

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "The Scryer Network primarily handles information brokering, but they have taken over the brokering of discreet hits on individuals from the old Carran Assassin Services over -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - seven centuries ago. Their building is in the next plaza over, if you are interested in their services."

Lexi@crystyll silently mouths 'seven centuries...?'

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Aren't they usually more...discreet themselves?"

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "In other regions, perhaps. But here on Underworld, the services they provide are entirely within their contractual rights. They have no reason to hide."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *blinks, then nods* Thank you for all the information. I will return later to meet with your representative.

Istar@anncarise | Receptionist: "I'll see you then."

[Team] Istar@anncarise: Yeah...it was as easy as asking! hehe

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: All right, that was interesting, but not surprising.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "It seems the Scryer has been active for a lot longer than I ever anticipated"

Egzo@HF_Mudd nods grimly.

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Yeah, we only heard about that recently too. Everybody thought the Network was formed by the Scryer after the Dominion War, but apparently that's just the latest version of the Network."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: They operate openly here, so there's no problem in contacting them.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Sounds as simple as just walking in there and sking to speak with them. That will certainly be refreshing"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Maybe they just recently expanded in our space?

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Stands to reason"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: I guess we should pay them a visit then.

Lexi@crystyll smiles, "Lead on then!"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *heads off to the location of the Scryer network building*

Istar@anncarise | The team moves to the next plaza, which is strangely much quieter than the one they came from. There are people here, but they mostly seem to speak in hushed voices. The skyscraper that -

Istar@anncarise - dominates this area is unmarked with any corporate logos, one of very few such towers on Carr.

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "Well, guess they operate openly but still don't advertise..."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Lack of logos might be an advert all in itself...

Istar@anncarise nods, "Could be."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Lack of... everything. This plaza is a ghost town..."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: So, we have Lexi that wants to figure out who put a price on her head. *to Istar* What's our angle?

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "We wanna figure out first if this cell's really against the current Scryer or not. If we do turn out to have the same enemy, then maybe they can help us."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Okay, let's see if we are even welcome...

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "And if this cell isn't rogue. Well, perhaps today is a good day to die after all"

Istar@anncarise | Stepping inside, they find themselves in another corporate looking lobby, this time with a single receptionist, an alien female with what seems to be dreadlocks.

Egzo@HF_Mudd looks around the lobby, not trusting that an office of this organization is as innocent as it appears.

Istar@anncarise | Upon getting closer, they can see that the alien's hair is not hair at all, but snake-like tendrils that move independently of each other. They point to the approaching group.

Istar@anncarise | Network Receptionist: "Hello. I presume you are here for the Eye of this cell?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *walks towards the receptionist* Well met. Indeed, we would like to discuss certain matters.

Lexi@crystyll mutters, "Even easier than strolling in and asking. Just... strolling in..."

Istar@anncarise | The receptionist smiles, "He is expecting you, Captain Cynis. Though he was also expecting you separately, Captain Vix."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *blinks* Why am I not surprised? Well, we are here.

Lexi@crystyll 's brows raise, "If he is so well informed, I suppose I should be glad to at least usurp expectations by not arriving alone then"

Istar@anncarise | Network Receptionist: "I am sure it will not be an inconvenience. Please, take an elevator in the next room up to the top floor."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Thank You.

Lexi@crystyll follows, a suspcious gaze lingering on the receptionst. Or maybe just the living hair/tendrils...

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Top floor.

Istar@anncarise FX | The lift doors close and elevator music plays as they ascend.

Egzo@HF_Mudd mutters, "If they want us in a box, this is it."

Egzo@HF_Mudd fingers the grip of his tegolar.

Istar@anncarise | The lift opens to a hallway. There is no ambush, only a single guard of the spike-headed reptilian species. He points them the way ahead.

Warhunter Ku'jho@Domarg licks his lips as he passes by the fish.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *nods to Egzo* Not today it would seem. *nods to the guard and moves ahead*

[Team] Lexi@crystyll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnv85Z8LldI <-- the elevator music

[Team] Lexi@crystyll: took me a while to dig up the video again...

[Team] Istar@anncarise: I used the old link but it didn't work anymore! *cries*

[Team] Istar@anncarise: Ty for finding it again!

[Team] Lexi@crystyll: yeah, this was the closest i could find!

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *is on alert, but stays formal*

Istar@anncarise | They pass by two more reptilian guards into a large operations centre, comparable to the scale of the ops room of a large station. In the centre, a figure sits in an elevated chair which turns -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - to reveal a neatly dressed Carran.

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "First Starfleet, now the Klingon Empire. It seems our little trade hub is starting to get quite the attention, isn't it?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: I'd call it everything but little.

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "We've established ourselves quite well, but it's only one planet in the grand scale of the universe. One civilization among countless spread through time."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Well, I am grateful for you agreeing to meet with us peacefully. It is not a standard situation we had so far.

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "You come to seek me, did you not? What is your purpose here?"

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "If our presence was anticipated, I would think you already have that answer"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Of course. But I would like to hear it from you."

Lexi@crystyll eyerolls at the obvious line"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Me and my OSN allies would like to know what is your connection to the Scryer operations in our territories?

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "We are information brokers. The cells in your territories collect data, and we sell it if any of our clients here are interested. The data our cell collects here is also available to -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - the other cells. Or that is how it is supposed to work, at least."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Well, Network has been in open conflict with us for quite a while, sporting some heavy hitters. This has been going on for a while.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: There's been a lot of blood shed on both sides. I was wondering if you knew of this and whether you approve of such approach.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "And I get the feeling that is not how it is supposed to work, from what you're saying..."

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "I am well aware of it. The current Scryer has lost his way. The Network has survived for so long because we are neutral, and we provide an essential service. This Scryer is fueled by -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - his old prejudices and seeks to play kingmaker in your territory."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Do you plan to act on that, or he has too much muscle for you to handle?

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "I am still a part of the Network. I cannot act against him without risking my people's position within it."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Hmmm, so you can't move directly, even if he's endangering the Network's neutrality?

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "We here in the Carran cell are still information brokers first. We do not possess the resources to oppose the Scryer directly."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: But we do. Can you provide us the information we could use to deal with him?

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Information is my greatest weapon, but even I do not know the location of the Scryer. You are trying to seek him out, are you not?"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Yes, but it's taking some time, Scyrer is very hard person to find, especially if he's hiding. And he has V'Ku thugs to strike at us without risking himself.

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Any information you can provide can prove useful.

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "There may be one way. I was not expecting you to arrive with Captain Vix, but she may present a different way to track the Scryer."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: *nods to Lexi* It's up to her.

Egzo@HF_Mudd looks to Lexi.

Lexi@crystyll looks at everyone else looking at her, then back to the Carran, "No pressure..."

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "I understand you come to track the Relentless Hunter."

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "And the Relentless Hunter is tracking you."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Assuming it still lives, yes. I am more interested in those responsible for setting on me in the first place"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "I did not broker that bounty, but I am almost certain the Scryer is involved to some extent. Relentless Hunter broadcasts its backup through Network controlled relays, but its new body -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - is constructed at the Scryer's base, much like the Scryer himself and these clone bodies he now employs."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Are you saying that the Scryer is building new Nuhar constructs?"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Yes. Or at least, new bodies for this construct. That is why it serves him now. I do not think he can replicate the AI, but he can create new bodies for versions of the existing one."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "I suppose then, the question is; are the new bodies of the same type as the old one. Or is Relentless Hunter just as likely to walk around the corner now?"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "I think they make improvements on the design, but keep the same base form. After all, you would appreciate an augmentation to your strength, but it would be disorientating if you woke -

[Local] Istar@anncarise: - in the body of a Tzenkethi."

Lexi@crystyll shudders at the thought

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: If this Nuhar is hunting Lexi, we can lure it out, force it to backup his data and track that broadcast to Scryer base?

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Precisely. Though Relentless Hunter is a powerful ally, it is also a potential weakness."

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "You tried to track the Scryer through his clones but failed to find his precise location. Now he is more careful. But the Relentless Hunter is still after Captain Vix."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "So if this Hunter is after me, does that mean the Scryer is directly involved in the betrayal of my House?"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "That I cannot say. As I stated, I suspect he is involved. How directly or indirectly is information I do not yet possess."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Fair enough. Well, seems we have a continued vested interest in working together"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Yes. Lure the Nuhar construct to QanwI', destroy it near here, and I will be able to trace the backup signal through relays in my cell."

Egzo@HF_Mudd 's eyebrows go up.

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "But once I do this, the Scryer will know I have betrayed him, and that his location may be exposed. You must strike as soon as possible."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Exactly how near to Underworld will we need to be? I can't imagine Relentless Hunter being lapse enough to attack us in orbit..."

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Within the distance you were at when you destroyed it the first time. We are the furthest cell rimward in this direction. Everything further transfers into our relays here."

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Well that shouldn't be too difficult then. Assuming of course that it is straight back on the trail from where we left off"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Luring it will be your task. Make yourself seen. I am sure it will come to you."

Lexi@crystyll grins, "This will be fun"

[Local] Istar@anncarise: "If we have to deal with it out here, we won't have anybody else for support. Just the QanwI'."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: We can hire some mercs.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "I've already destroyed this thing once without support. And if needed, we have our Federation friends nearby. I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to return the favour for once"

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "Relentless Hunter may not strike if it sees the odds are too great against it."

Istar@anncarise | Carran: "It will return stronger than before. Destroying it again may be more difficult. Take heed, Captain Vix."

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Scratch my idea then. I guess we can prepare for action on our side of the fence once you track Scryer's base.

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Can always join me on the QanwI'. I do hate to think of you guys missing out on all the fun"

[Local] Sadia@gulremal: Hmmm, yes, that is a fine idea!

[Local] Lexi@crystyll: "Qapla! And don't worry, I promise to keep my dagger firmly stowed" she grins

Istar@anncarise --END SCENE--
1 Like