15 Aug: True Warriors

In their search for additional muscle, Task Force Hurq Mevik turns to the Mehrae, a lesser known warrior race often overlooked for their lower technological level. However, a simple recruitment mission for mercenaries quickly turns into something more…

Shift Time: Sunday, Aug 15, Alpha -1

Audience: KDF and allies

Event Type: Social RP

Starting Point: Starship bridge

GM: @anncarise

Mission Log

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:sits in her captain’s chair and reads something on the datapadd, deep in thought

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:looks to T’Vek and Aestae Well, this is definitely be an interesting visit…

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris nods, “Our Carran contact should be waiting for us in the system.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:barks in klingon Conn! ETA to Meht?

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Pilot: “Almost there! Three more minutes!”

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Comm Officer: “We’re receiving a hail on a Carran trade frequency.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Good, we’ll need a briefing before we head down- to Comm On screen.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | A typical gaunt Carran visage appears on the viewscreen: “I am Representative Fellen. I understand you wish to arrange a mercenary contract with the Mehrae?”

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris FX | https://i.imgur.com/4a0y2s8.jpg

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:I am captain Sadia Cynis, Klingon Defense Force. Yes, we are looking to hire mercenaries.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen nods, “How many do you wish to hire?”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:We need both spaceships and ground troops. At minimum two dozen starships of at least frigate size, and 5000 ground troops.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:For ground troops, we can offer the necessary modern equipment. For starships, we are willing to negotiate refits as part of the payment.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “You will have to recruit from more than one clan, then. Fortunately, I am up-to-date with the politics of the different clans and can identify a number for you to hire from that will play nice with each other. I shall give you the coordinates of their settlements and information on them.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Excellent. Any advice before we go planet-side?

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “The Mehrae have a very tight-knit, clan-based society. Anger or insult an individual and you may be challenged to a duel, but do not insult an entire clan unless you want them all turning on you.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:nods Transmit the data we need and we’ll be on our way.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen nods, “Sending them over now. I will accompany you to the surface. I suggest visiting the Sedrae clan first, they are the largest among the ones I have suggested. If you broker a deal with them first, it is more likely for the others to accept your arrangement as well.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Get the biggest one and the rest are more liable to follow suit.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “Precisely. Shall I meet you at the Sedrae settlement, then?”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Very well. I will go over the background data and meet you at the designated spot for Sedrae.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “I will see you there, Captain Cynis.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Indeed. Cynis out. she pokes the computer on her chair and as Fellen’s face disappears, the data on Sedrae clan starts rolling Let’s see who are we dealing with…

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | The Sedrae clan is the biggest and most prominent clan in the mercenary world. They’re currently led by Dalviin Sedrae-Taan, who served as a mercenary in his younger days before taking over as Chieftain (Taan). Due to having the most deals with outsiders, they also have the best and most modern equipment, including the most advanced ships (equivalent to mid 24th century).

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:| They’ve also been the most influenced by foreign cultures, in this case the Ferengi, and operate with a system where the Taan appoints a successor as the next Taan, and the advisory Saals have the authority to remove a Taan if they became unsuitable.

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:| Due to their size and Ferengi influence, they have a unique role called the Saan, a Saal appointed as a representative of the Taan, very much based on a Ferengi Grand Proxy. Other clans do not have this role as the Taans prefer to deal with clan business personally.

[Team]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:Okay that was longer than I expected hehe

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:These guys look like our best bet. They will probably be the most expensive too. Let’s see what they’ve been up to…*checks the data for last few big contracts, mostly focused on contract length and employers if such data is available, even customer feedback.

[Team]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:There’s probably way more worldbuilding than I need in there but worldbuilding is fun!

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | There are records of the Sedrae working with multiple prominent groups in the region, both official and criminal. They’ve had recent contracts with Carran business magnates, Ferengi DaiMons and even fought in the Hur’q conflict as mercenaries for the Cardassians.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Older records indicate they’ve worked with the Scryer Network and a once-nearby Syndicate cell that is no longer in existence today.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:rises eyebrow They’ve definitely been around the block

[Local]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:“They will most certainly be expensive and seem to have smaller ongoing contracts at the moment, so they will not be able to hire out the entirely of their forces, However, I agree with Fellen that we should negotiate with them first for the benefit of gaining the approval of the largest clan.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Well, better not keep our rep waiting.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:All right folks. These Mehrae are very similar to klingons in attitude. Stay armed and keep your eyes peeled for trouble. This clan we are visiting most likely has many enemies, and no better way to mess up their rep than to ruin a deal with a major galactic power.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Even worse, they also took a liking for ferengi ways, so double the caution.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Unless anyone has any advice to add, let’s get to the transporter pad

Egzo@HF_Mud nods.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris nods as well.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | The group beams down to a plaza in the middle of a sizable settlement, where their Carran contact Fellen awaits them.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “Come with me. The Taan awaits you.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:she looks around, and heads to Fellen Lead the way.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:We are speaking to the Taan directly?

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “Yes. Most contracts go through the Saan, as you have no doubt gathered from the information I sent you. But I ensure that information flows both ways, and the Taan has heard of the might and importance of the Klingon Empire. He has chosen wisely to conduct this deal himself.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:“Aside from the data you’ve already sent us, any personal insight into the Taan?”

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “I know the Taan from his mercenary days. He is a good leader, much more composed and less prone to bouts of emotion like some other Taans. He has a good mind for business.”

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | As they walk, a Ferengi steps up to the group, “You must be the Klingon representatives I’ve heard about! Would I care to interest you in some-”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:That’s good for us. I tend to keep my own temper in check, too. Do you think his enemies will know of our arrival?

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “Out of the way, Gnarok. These are members of the Klingon Defense Force. They have no need for the petty arms you sell.”

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen looks back to Sadia, “Well, it seems like word has travelled, at least within the settlement. It will not be long before it spreads beyond, if it has not already, but rest assured that the Sedrae have acquired defenses that are technologically superior to the rest of the planet. This city is safe from attack by any other clan.”

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | The group are led into a large chamber, almost like a throne room though far from the scale of audience chambers like the Qo’noS Great Hall. The local Mehrae line the chamber- a bipedal species with tough leathery skin and a horn portruding from their foreheads. They tend to be on the tall side compared to most bipedal species and are all very heavily built with broad shoulders. The males and females have the same distinctions as that of most bipedal mammalian species, though like rhinos the horns of the males appear to be thicker and shorter while the females tend towards long, slender horns.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | All the Mehrae are also wearing armour decorated in a variety of colours, the meanings of which are unclear to the group. The Taan sits in a chair at the end of the chamber, wearing a set of armour painted in blue and black.

[Team]Sadia@gulrema:…wearing a jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon his troubled brow.

[Team]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:Hahaha

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:| A horned helmet in the same colours rests on a stand to his right, while the back of his chair seems to double as a weapon rack, holding a rifle and a scimitar-like blade crossed in an X configuration

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin Sedrae-Taan waves for them to approach, “So you are the representatives from the famous Klingon Empire.”

[Team]T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris:I envison him sitting in a Jarl Balgruuf pose hehe

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:approaches I am captain Sadia Cynis, commander of Klingon Defense Force task group Hurq Mevik. It is honor to meet you.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “I am Dalviin Sedrae-Taan, but I am sure you know that already. ‘Klingon’ is also the name of a species as well as your Empire, is it not?”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Indeed, klingon are the founding species of the Empire, but the Empire now has many other species serving under its banner.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Some serve as loyal subjects, others as allies and mercenaries.

[T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “I see. And you are a loyal subject, I presume from your role as Captain?”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:You presume correctly. motions to each group member Captain Egzo is my right hand and mercenary coordinator. Elt Aestae Vali is the valued ally from Orion Space Navy, and Sales Rep 1st Class T’Vek is a valued data broker - she is the reason I’m here in the first place.

Egzo@HF_Mud nods politely(!) as he’s introduced.

Aestae Vali@crystyl gives a cheery wave when it’s her turn.

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:And I believe you know Representative Fellen

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris gives a nod as she is introduced as well.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “Yes, we are acquainted. Fellen tells me you require both warriors and ships?”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Yes, a conflict is brewing and we need both vessels and warriors to protect our borders.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “I can spare you five ships- one of our great battlecruisers, a simple, older cruiser and three frigates. I would offer more, but the rest of the clan’s vessels are either already on contracts or needed to keep our neighbours in line here. On top of them and their crews I will offer an additional four hundred warriors.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:That is lower than I expected. What troubles You so that You cannot free more warriors for the contract?

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “As I said, some of them are already off on contracts, but there are also clans that have been causing…trouble on Meht. Nothing that threatens the Sedrae yet, but if not kept in check, they may become a problem in the future.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Can we assist in any capacity? I do not doubt your abilities, but if dealing with this problem means you will be able to hire us more warrios and ships, it will help us both

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Fellen: “I would not advise getting involved in the local politics here. You should be able to receive more than enough troops from the various clans we will be making deals with.”

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “If you are willing to help us, I will not say no. Despite their claims of fighting for Mehrae to become self-sufficient, they too have foreign benefactors. But Fellen has a point. It is not usually advised for outsiders to become involved in our clan politics here. If you wish to aid us…trade us your weapons and more advanced equipment, and I can send additional warriors. After all, a better equipped warrior can be worth two or even three others.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:That sounds like a reasonable compromise. I was more than willing to offer our weaponry and ship refitting services, or ship parts.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin: “Excellent. Ship refitting will take more time- perhaps the ones we send with you can return with upgrades as they work with your forces. Personal arms and equipment will see an immediate boost to my troops, to compensate for the additional warriors we will send with you.”

[Local]Sadia@gulrema:Great. My quartermaster will coordinate with T’Vek and Fellen to supply you with ground equipment. I’ll add some starship munitions that your vessels can use as a bonus.

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | Dalviin smiles, “We have a deal, then.”

T’Vek of Vulcan@anncaris | – SCENE END –

1 Like