A Compendium on Technology.

rsz_1rsz_starfleer-engineer-corps.png
"Mutando Conservamus"

“Nature may reach the same result in many ways. Like a wave in the physical world, in the infinite ocean of the medium which pervades all, so in the world of organisms, in life, an impulse started proceeds onward, at times, may be, with the speed of light, at times, again, so slowly that for ages and ages it seems to stay, passing through processes of a complexity inconceivable to men, but in all its forms, in all its stages, its energy ever and ever integrally present. A single ray of light from a distant star falling upon the eye of a tyrant in bygone times may have altered the course of his life, may have changed the destiny of nations, may have transformed the surface of the globe, so intricate, so inconceivably complex are the processes in Nature. In no way can we get such an overwhelming idea of the grandeur of Nature than when we consider, that in accordance with the law of the conservation of energy, throughout the Infinite, the forces are in a perfect balance, and hence the energy of a single thought may determine the motion of a universe.” - Nikola Tesla

Together with a colleague of mine, I have been working on a compendium of technological prowess. Starfleet is not only a protector, but an innovator. Men and women work on advancing our technological prowess on a daily basis. While not all are right for this kind of work, many of them however work with the technology we think of on a daily basis. I have dedicated my life to advance our ships, bases and facilities. Helping them stay in shape and making sure every comfort is being cared for. My work has paid off, in a sense. When looking at ships, I can see the technology I worked on from time to time. While it takes years for the fleet to widely accept the changes and developments we achieve, it is the prototypes that give me the most joy.

Yet, when I look at my fellow officers, I often see a lack in understanding of the daily technology we use. Think about the Phaser, Deflector or as simple as a replicator. Therefor, I have decided to work on a compendium. A database, if you will, on everything that there is to know about the technology behind our Federation. Everything might seem a bit extreme, but it is something I am rather fond of. With the help of Lieutenant Commander R.A.J. Kuiper, C.O. of the U.S.S. Regal, I intend to explore technology far and wide. We are both affiliated with Advanced Technologies branch, so I believe we are qualified for this.

If you require any information, have any thoughts on the project or feel I have made an error, please contact me on base on my personal frequency. If not available, you are able to leave a message in my communications inbox. I thank you for your interest. I am so very excited to share this with you all.

Commander Rix Brot'la
Engineering Department
Deep Space 13

Lieutenant Commander R.A.J. Kuiper
Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Regal - Task Force Avalon
Attached to Starbase 381 - "Praetorian"

((Disclaimer: I have not come up with these things myself, this is a collection compiled of the notes that are found in canon sources. All of this is information is merely an In Character Summation of the information I found on certain subjects. I hope you will find it usefull))
3 Likes
"Mutando Conservamus"

Entry #1 - Phasers part 1

Phasers, we all use them from time to time, if it is to stun your adversaries or to blow a piece of a wall away to escape from a burning room. Now, that might be an extreme example, but it is a good suggestion. Keep it in mind. What most officers and crewmen do not know is how these little hand held weapons work. The inner pieces of a Phaser and especially the type - II Phaser. An officer weapon of choice. Iconic battles have been fought with these weapons and so I thought it would be a good point to start. Think about it, how many times have you clutched the little weapon in your hand, thinking about how life was so short. Now how that is a macabre thought, it is the main weapon for us all. Our last line of defense is a crew member with a Phaser. Even if you have amazing disruptors and Quantum torpedoes on your ship. If it gets boarded, you only have your hands to fight with. Since many of us aren't the size of a Klingon, we have these weapons. Single handed Type - I Phasers are the most common. Yet, many officers have had training in Type 2.

Phaser types

Many Phaser types exist in this day and age. The most known to officers are:

• Type I - Single handed Phaser, backup to the common type 2.
  • Type II - Standard issue single handed Phaser Pistol.
  • Type III - Standard issue two handed Phaser Rifle.

Starting from this point, however, most Phasers will be ship or shuttle mounted. Think about the Phaser type - IV that is standard shuttle issue. we will leave that for another time.

The workings of a Phaser

The word Phaser is actually an acronym. The complete terminology is 'PHAsed Energy Rectification'. This coming from the way how it turns stored energy into an energy beam. Some of the scientists and engineers I spoke with use another acronym. PHASEd array emitteR. Both come down to the same weapon we have to come to know, yet perhaps not love. The basic workings are rather easy. Energetic plasma is send into a prefire chamber, this chamber is mostly made out of lithium-copper. This lithium-copper has been used, because it has superconducting features. After this transmission of energetic plasma into the prefire chamber, it undergoes a rapid Nadion effect. A Nadion is an artificially created particle, mostly used in Phasers and Disruptors.

This rapid Nadion effect of the Energetic plasma leads to a strong nuclear output, mostly nadion radiation. After this has occurred, a protonic charge is formed, which is being released into an emitter made out of the crystal, again, Lithium-Copper. In the before mentioned hand type (1, 2 and 3) Phasers the charge of energetic plasma is stored into Sarium-Krellide. See ti as an advanced battery. Except instead of 12 volts, this battery does quite a lot more. This material is also used, because it can not accidentally discharge its energy into the prefire chamber.

Some other parts of a Phaser.

Beam control Assembly: Put on the tip of most Phasers. This is simply used to control the output of the beam, its width, mostly.

Discharge Crystal: Before mentioned crystal at the middle of the Phaser, made out of Lithium-Copper. It is superconducting. Most of these crystals have an efficiency 90 percent these days, our Romulan allies have far greater technology on this. We do not understand why yet, but we at the Engineering corps are trying to understand.

Emission aperture: Again at the tip of the Phaser, just before the Beam Control Assembly. See it as a gateway to send harness the energy and lead it through the tip of the Phaser. Hence, creating a raw beam that will be controlled by the Beam Assembly.

Energy cell: A cell made out of Sarium-Krellide, used to store energy. If configured in the correct way it could be rechargeable.

Safety Interlock: Logically every Phaser has a safety mode, the safety interlock makes sure there is no accidental energy discharge into the Lithium-Copper discharge crystal. It can be switched on or off on the top of most Phasers.

Sight: Not easily spotted as it is linked to the operator. Many of these sights are used to make the operator able to shoot more accurate or see further in the distance. Easy and Accurate acquiring of a target is necessary in warfare.
type2.gif
"An artist depiction of the common Type II Phaser of recent years. Many officer will know this one."

Phaser Type I

The Type - I Phaser is most commonly carried by security and intelligence officers, in extreme cases diplomatic personnel. As with most Phasers, they are restricted to personnel that require usage of them on a daily basis. Yet, they are less common then the Type - II. The main reason for this is that they generally have slightly lesser power output. A Type - I has 8 settings, ranging from stun to heat and the ultimate setting, disintegration. While it is advised to be familiar with this type, it is an uncommon weapon for most officers.

The usage of the Type - I is mostly in cases that require a certain subterfuge. Think about concealment. As they capable of being fired by merely two fingers, they require next to no space. A pocket sized weapons, you could say. A favorite weapon among diplomats due to that reason. Even though they officially would not carry a weapon. As with most Phasers you are able to decide the beam width. This means you can create an energy output over a larger area, if needed, this however will take away from its strength.

Phaser Type - II

The Type - II Phaser is commonly stored in armories on board ships, stations and other facilities. All of you will have fired one in your career, even if it was just for training. It is still the size of a single handed weapon, but it has greater power output than the former Type - I. It has been standard issue since the 2260's, most likely being known for the countless times it has helped Admiral Kirk of the United Star Ship Enterprise. These weapons are the back bone of star fleet security. Yet, it is not only an offensive and defensive device. It can be used for cutting through certain metals, storing energy and if set to the correct settings it could be an explosive device.

This side arm has sixteen settings. A couple notable ones will follow.

Setting One - Light stun: Standard setting for a Phaser, when being stored always return the Phaser to this setting. It will be able to stun standard humanoids for about five minutes, depending on size of the body. The bane of ceramic enemies like pots. A certain Lieutenant Junior Grade Link was very fond of doing this during his academy days.

Setting Seven - Metallurgic usages: Able to disintegrate several alloys that most armor is made with, most notable Noranium carbide and other carbon based alloys.

Setting Ten - Kill setting: Starting with setting ten, we go into an area that is despised by many officers, yet necessary. This setting is the most used during extreme cases of aggression with life threatening outcomes. Most biological species will instantly stop living when hit by a Phaser on setting ten.

Setting Sixteen - Vaporization: The energy output of this setting is so great, that it can vaporize slight areas or personnel upon impact, complete disintegration of a body is possible, yet highly unadvised. It has been known to be used to create crevices in rocky environments.

As an added feature the Phaser can be set to a wider or narrower beam setting. As with the prior Type - I a wider Phaser beam will have less power upon impact, there for a setting 10 wide beam might only function as a setting 9 or in some cases setting 8. To compliment those features, the weapon can also be set to different frequencies. Creating a weapon capable of working better against some shields or our dreaded adversaries the Borg.

Phaser Type - III

The Type - III Phaser is carried by security officers or combatants whenever required. A MACO favorite, it is carried by Starfleet personnel around the galaxy. The federation insists however that this is an extreme measure. With an output of 3.4 x 10 to the 8 mega joule per power cell, this weapon packs a punch. Most of these rifle type Phasers are outfitted with twin hot-swappable power cells. It also had an extra customization, a split emitter resonator designed to tune the outgoing beam. It can create many effects. Single beam, burst fire or even simulate the array of an Earth Shotgun from the 21st century. It is a dangerous weapon.

If modified this weapon could fire focused beams combined with sight it would come close to the definition of a sniper weapons. Extreme power and extreme accuracy. Add a shoulder strap and you will become far more mobile with this weapon. Add an under barrel grip for more stability or if you are particularly vicious, use it as a bat.

A modification used these days is the compressed Phaser rifle. This gives far greater output then a normal Type - III. The weapon is not very different, yet the energy cells are improved and the crystal emitter efficiency is greatly improved.

Next issue

Everyone that put in their information on the Phaser is hereby thanked. We are always open for critique or further customization of the article. Again, this is merely what we know. If you think any information is incorrect, we invite you to send us a message through the holonet. Or speak to us personally. Thank you for your interest.

Commander Rix Brot'la
Engineering Department
Deep Space 13

((Disclaimer: I have not come up with these things myself, this is a collection compiled of the notes that are found in canon sources. All of this is information is merely an In Character Summation of the information I found on certain subjects. I hope you will find it usefull))
7 Likes
"Mutando Conservamus"

Entry #2 - CMU 2.0 Aka. Sphinx Workpod

7d48cc8d-6720-4384-886f-3aa68746528e.jpg
"LCAR of the standard Star Fleet CMU 2.0 - Sphinx Workpod"

The Sphinx Workpod is the standard work ship of the federation. A follow up on the older model CMU, lovingly called a Workbee. Instead of self operating units, the federation chose to keep the crewmen in charge of repairing and building facilities. Advanced Technologies put trust in the eyes of an officer or crewman in charge of a project, hence these upgrade work bees are still a standard within the federation. These pods however had several important upgrades that towered them above the old CMU units. A detailed explanation of the several parts follows. The Sphinx Workpods are also known as CMU 2.0.

Specifications of the Sphinx Workpod

Length: 6.2 Meters
Width: 3.7 Meters
Height: 2.1 Meters
Mass: 1.74 metric tonnes
Crew: 1 personnel member
Cargo Capacity: 2,000 metric tonnes

Technical Parts of the Sphinx Workpod

Reaction Control System Thrusters: Sixteen RCS Thrusters are outfitted on a CMU 2.0. These thrusters make the craft maneuverable and quick. Yet, if needed the craft couple be very precise. Due to the different sizes in thrusters the pilot of this CMU 2.0 was able to get to most nooks and crannies without bumping into anyone else. Due to the RCS system the craft could keep geometrical translation and a constant altitude. These features made the sixteen thruster CMU 2.0 a great part of any repair, build or renovation team.

Cargo bay: The cargo bay on a CMU 2.0 was small, mostly meant for tools for the pilot in case of an emergency. For instance the CMU 2.0 would spring a leak, the pilot would carry a standard environmental suit. Yet, the pilot would be able to fix or jury rig his ship. This making it a perfect compartment for emergency wear. Other items included in the cargo bay could be medical equipment, tactical equipment or engineering tools. Standard plasma cutters, Neutorium alloy drill, Lithium-Copper wires et cetera.

Fusion thrusters: Due to the Magneto-Inertial Fusion Driven Rocket project that started in the twenty first century by the NASA (North American Space Agency), we now have fusion thrusters. Fusion thrusters create a high speed for travel, not capable of warp speed, but they do go at a high velocity. The thrusters are attached to the CMU 2.0, they are only used for speed. The workbees are precise when working on RCS, but if it needed to travel a longer distance it would use the fusion thrusters.

Life-support Module: A standard module for life support systems that can be found in fighters and shuttles. Due to several modification it is less efficient, but it is merely used for the pilot to be able to pilot the CMU 2.0 without an EV-suit. Yet, since it is customary for a CMU 2.0 pilot to carry a standard EV-Suit, these systems are only for emergency suit failure. If however the systems fail, the suit would be able to take up the duties of the Suit.

Hatch: The entrance for the pilot. Pressurized so that the environment within the CMU 2.0 can be vented of air when the pilot needs to leave the unit or pumped full of Earth standard air supply. This air contains by volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. The air also has traces of water vapor, about 1.0 %. The hull of this ship is made by standard type - 12 shuttle craft metal.

Proximity Sensors: A proximity sensor is able to take notice of nearby object without physical contact. In the twenty first century this was mostly done through infrared light, yet due to the developments we now use particle arrays that work similar. These particles can best be described electromagnetic radiation. This creates a field which allows for measurements. These measurements are send to the core processing unit within the CMU 2.0. Once they are processed an accurate depiction of altitude, speed and proximity can be given to the pilot on the screen in the unit.

Control panels: Two panels on the left and the right of the pilot of the CMU 2.0. These panels contain an array of buttons to open the various locks, power the individual thrusters and change the way the forks or proximity sensors behave. Besides all of these buttons the left side has a stick throttle for quick maneuvering of the ship during high speeds, while the right stick is linked to the RCS thrusters to maneuver the ship precisely. When the ship is in position however, a simple food paddle will change the stick function to moving the arms in a precise manner. Therefor allowing the MCU 2.0 to build, rebuild or renovate starships, starbase or other facilities.

Monitor: The main monitor of the MCU 2.0 shows an vast array of feature, graphs and numbers. Indicating speed, proximity and material usage. As the sensors of the unit can even estimate the damage to another vessel, these monitors show the pilot the exact position where a possible weld is needed, or a piece is required. The constant up-link to the main vessel makes communication through voice and video contact possible. Basically and constant hailing frequency.

Antigrav Forks: These forks use their antigrav to quickly move around in space, making them movable in three joints, there for allowing them to reach behind corners. Several attachments can be outfitted onto these forks. A few, but not limited to, are the Plasma Torch, Drill heads, Grasping claws, Standard Locking Mechanism and a carrying attachment. These attachments make the CMU 2.0 rather versatile.

Attachments: Not only the forks can be augmented, the Sphinx has the ability to carry around several modules on it's read end. Think of Cargo pods, Crew pods and Equipment pods. As of the delivery to the U.S.S. Regal, Lieutenant Commander Kuiper is working on an easy way to get his repair teams from area to area. This includes an external link to a MCU 2.0 attachment that is currently being created. The plans are for the repair team to hook onto a beam or pod, so that they can easily be flown around by these little MCU 2.0's. Yet, this is all in the experimental stage.

Next issue

We want to thank you for your continued interest. We are happy to announce that our next subject will be open for your suggestion. Therefor, please notify me with your requests. We will do our best to explain in detail what ever little piece of a piece of technology does. Myself and Mister Kuiper have enjoyed writing these articles thus far.

Commander Rix Brot'la
Engineering Department
Deep Space 13

3 Likes
We want to thank you for your continued interest. We are happy to announce that our next subject will be open for your suggestion. Therefor, please notify me with your requests. We will do our best to explain in detail what ever little piece of a piece of technology does. Myself and Mister Kuiper have enjoyed writing these articles thus far.

((Transporter!))
3 Likes
"Mutando Conservamus"

Entry #3 - Stationary Transporters

2ea4210d-37d3-44a2-8f25-633087f43542.jpg
"Schematics of the standard Star Fleet Transporter"

Every station, ship and shuttle has one. You may have one in your house as well. A transporter. Now these magic devices, as some of you might see them, are great for everything you might want to get some other place then it is now. Got some food and want to send it to your lovely Captain, beam it down. Got a couple of refugees on a planet? Beam them up! Got a couple of purple giraffes that are eating ice cream in the middle of an orange juice ocean, beam them up and then visit the psych department. Yet, you know where I am going with this. Today I wish to include the expertise of our fleets resident transporter lady.

General facts about the transporter system

The transporter system in early usage of Starfleet was invented by a human named Emory Erickson a most brilliant engineer and inventor that was not only its inventor, but also the first human to ever use the device. Interesting fact, Emory Quin Prior to this most equipment and people had to be transported via shuttle or even by airplane. How primitive. Yet, in the days prior to the first humans being transported via this apparatus, huge riots broke out. Protests covering the streets of Earth. The humans felt that if the person would be transported, they had basically died and was not the same person when arising on the other side. Our resident Romulan Subspace particle expert says that this is the reason that the transporters developed slowly until the Federation was set up.

In these early days of transporter use, there was quite a lot of issues with social morality and the techniques themselves. The first two Starfleet ships that carried a transporter were the NX-01 Enterprise and the NX-02 Columbia. A rather coincidental fact about these transporters is that the captain of the NX-01 Enterprise is also a good friend of Emory Quint. The NX-01 was a marvel of its time anyhow, but we shall talk about that later. We will jump in with the parts right away. You can always ask me or Subcommander t'Illiahlae things in person.

Parts of the transporter system

Annular Confinement Beam: The annular confinement beam is an essential component of the transporter system. Generated by the primary energizing coils, the annular confinement beam confined the transporter matter stream when it was on its way to the target destination. This beam in unable to penetrate deflector shields, due to the scientific breakthroughs of earlier years this also worked at warp speeds.

Bio filter: A bio filter is a scanning device that analyzes an incoming transporter matter stream for known biological anomalies. A lot of viruses, parasites and other biological objects that are not to be shared with the receivers of the transportation are filtered out. These are also used in replicators.

The gravitational compensator: This is a part that stabilizes the person or object that is transported to the similar gravitational pull as the destination. If this is not stabilized, sudden organ failure can be created or bone fractures.

Heisenberg compensator: Works just fine, thank you. If one wishes to check if the compensator works fine, the transporter pad has to be raised. The compensator ensured the matter stream remained coherent during transportation and no data was lost. Hence creating the identical copy of one that is transported.

Molecular Imagining Scanner: This is located above each transporter pad and is used to scan the object to be transported and convert it to a matter stream, because of the crucial function, if the imaging scanner was off by even one thousandth of a percent, the transport would fail. Every transporter pad is equipped with at least four redundant imaging scanners.

Pattern Buffer: The buffer is used to temporarily store the matter stream following dematerialization, but prior to sending the stream to its target. This is done because of the relative motion of transporter and target. By temporarily storing the matter stream, the Doppler compensators had enough time to adjust the targeting scanners. If the matter however is not send it will degrade in the buffer, the data will corrupt. Upon materializing this corrupted data, a lifeless body of a piece of this will be materialized instead of the living person.

Phase transition coil: This is the component in the transporter device that converted a person or object from matter to energy and back again. If these were not triangulated properly, a person could accidentally be mixed up with another, upon discharge this would create a person that had been genetically spliced with another. This happened merely once on a Federation Vessel in the delta quadrant.

Energizing coil: This is a vital component used in the transporter system, which serves as one of the final components to handle a transport pattern prior to materialization.

Site-to-site transport interlock: This was when beaming to another transporter pad, it basically created a heavier data stream, making sure that the transport was successful. One of the reasons transporter to the surface of a planet is still moderately dangerous.

Targeting scanner : This is used to quickly localize and lock on to the person or object that is to be transporters. Heavy magnetic or electrical storms can disrupt this and make locking on to the target that is to be transported impossible. This often happens during combat, the electrical discharges make it hard for the scanner to get a lock.

Transporter console: Not so much a component as the main operating system to initialize and work with the transporter. What an officer might recognize is the slider touch panels that initialize the demateralization of objects and person.

Next issue

We want to thank you for your continued interest. We are happy to announce that our next subject will be open for your suggestion. Therefor, please notify me with your requests. We will do our best to explain in detail what ever little piece of a piece of technology does.

Commander Rix Brot'la
Chief Engineer
Deep Space 13

3 Likes
[Place holder] Rix requires new ideas. Please PM me said Ideas and add a reason why you would like to know more about said peice of technology.
1 Like
We want to thank you for your continued interest. We are happy to announce that our next subject will be open for your suggestion. Therefor, please notify me with your requests. We will do our best to explain in detail what ever little piece of a piece of technology does. Myself and Subcommander t'Iliahlae have enjoyed writing these articles thus far. Next issue will be on the larger type phasers and their classifications.

Would love to see this continue. So I lay down the next challenge in this technical gauntlet: holodecks!
2 Likes