A Friendly Inquiry for Crewman Avlin

To: CRW Avlin, S.
CC:
Subj: A friendly inquiry

Dearest Crewman Avlin,

Pleasant salutations. My name is Lady Lauren Varley, and please allow me to be the first (of many, I am sure) to congratulate you on an auction well won! I admit to some surprise on my part at your tenacity on the bidding floor, indeed I was not aware you were such a passionate purveyor of mythical Vulcan relics.

Perhaps, though, you feel certain misgivings and uncertainties. There is no shame in that; we are all guilty of being caught in the excitement of a lively bid only to commit in a way that perhaps we come to regret, perhaps even beyond our realistic ability to uphold. I would not think to judge you hastily, yet I couldn’t help but notice the abject terror that seemed to take hold of you when the bidding was concluded. If you will allow me to be immodestly direct, I believe that you have placed yourself in a precarious, even unwise, position- and I believe you have realised as much yourself.

This brings us to the subject of my inquiry: I would like to extend an offer. As may be surmised by my presence at the auction, I am interested and motivated in the acquisition of this most perilous item, as will be many others once your name is published as its recipient. If you choose to provide it to me I will not only equal the price you paid for it, but also offer you protection from any similarily motivated but less diplomatically inclined purveyors.

Please consider this offer and respond promptly, as your life is in imminent danger.

Humbly yours,

//SIGNED//
Lady Lauren Varley,
Commanding Officer,
ISS Yamato

4 Likes

To: CAPT Varley

Subj: Re: A friendly inquiry

Lady Varley,

I am honored that you know who I am, but unfortunately I believe you have been misinformed. I’m afraid I did not attend any auction, and I’d certainly remember if I’d obtained a mythical Vulcan relic.

I would hate for this communication to have been a complete waste of your time, however. It would, of course, be my sacred patriotic duty to provide you with any information I can uncover about this relic and who may have obtained it.

Long live the Empire.

//SIGNED//
Crewman Seres Avlin
Battle Station 13

5 Likes