AAR: A Thief in Need

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96525.3
FILED BY:
LCDR Sedai, K.
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Communicate with Katori IX guard vessel and discourage further pursuit of Hauden vessel/citizens.

OUTCOME: Offered to detain Hauden citizens and host Katori trial aboard the starbase. Captain Lissa agreed (begrudgingly) to leave Hauden citizens in DS13's care until offer could be considered by appropriate Katori authorities.

There are currently 142 Hauden adults and 52 children 'guests' aboard station. From the attack, there were fifteen casualties and two dead.

KEY PERSONNEL:
LCDR H'ajah
LCDR Sedai, Katriel
LT Morgan, Edward
LTJG Niraj, Alexandria

SUBLT Shiarrael (RR)

Kalris (DV)

NARRATIVE: I responded to a call for my presence in the promenade conference room shortly after Yellow Alert began, which had evidently been initiated due to the proximity of a ship vs ship combat between two foreign entities. Lieutenant Morgan caught me up on the circumstances: an unknown ship had emitted a distress signal after being repeatedly fired upon by a Katori guard vessel and D.V. Founder's Wisdom was the first to respond, managing to delay the assault while the Atlantis was sent to tow the damaged ship into dock.

The Katori vessel's commander, Captain Lissa, promptly hailed the station and demanded the return of her 'prisoners' within the hour, or else she would return to her planet for reinforcements. In further discussion with her, she claimed the people we were protecting had 'attacked' a Katori colony, killing two of their citizens, destroying a 'harvesting habitat' and making off with crop cargo.

We took some time to compile a status report of the situation. The damaged vessel was identified as belonging to the Hauden, a species that simply lived aboard their ship, after their colony failed three years ago. All the Hauden individuals, from the youngest to the oldest, were afflicted by what is most likely a neurogenerative wasting disease and aboard their vessel, they had stolen large quantities of an unreplicable plant matter that is utilized in the synthesis of treatment medication. The Hauden first officer, Lem, admitted to having stolen the plant material, but insisted they had thought the field was empty before landing.

I made the decision to deny returning the Hauden citizens over to Captain Lissa, who then demanded only the Hauden's Captain. As said individual was in medical surgery at the time, this was likewise not an option. I made a counterproposal and offered for DS13 to act as the Hauden's detainment center until the Katori could send a council to carry out their trial on station instead, rather than take the Hauden back to their planet. Captain Lissa responded that she would take the offer back to her superiors for consideration and that we would certainly receive a response.

I did also attempt to formally purchase or trade for the plant matter, so that we could legally utilize it to synthesize treatment doses, but this was not finalized. Regardless, I gave medical the authorization to begin using the stock.

DS13 stood down from yellow alert after the Katori vessel was confirmed to have left the region.

RECOMMENDATION: The Hauden will need to be made as comfortable as possible for the duration of their stay on Deep Space 13 and medical should be working with their physicians on treatment plans, including researching or synthesizing potential alternatives for the disease they are afflicted with.

We will also need to be prepared for the eventuality that we may need to detain the Hauden against their wills, after their vessel is repaired, should the Katori actually accept our offer of hosting a trial for them. Ideally we can provide enough value for them to find their potentially prolonged stay here as welcome as possible.

OOC: GMed by Calyx, thanks!
5 Likes