AAR: And Things That Go Bump In The Night

Stardate:
Filed By:
SUBLT Anravek
Clearance:

LOCATION HLR-8429b, Aldebaran Sector

MISSION Investigate derelict vessel flagged by civilian freighter

OUTCOME Derelict vessel towed to DS13 shipyard. Illegal scavenger detained. Annatar drone vessel impounded.

KEY PERSONNEL

• CMDR Callahan-Kermit, Elizabeth
  • LCDR Mercer, Olivia
  • SUBLT Anravek
  • LTJG Naum (NPC)

NARRATIVE Dispatched to investigate a report of a derelict vessel adrift near the Aldebaran trade lane, U.S.S. Valkyrie arrived on scene to discover both the derelict and the Federation salvage claim beacon missing from their last known coordinates. Local area search commenced, locating the derelict 4.29 Gm away, on the periphery of HLR-8429b’s asteroid field. Salvage beacon remained unaccounted for thus far.

Scans were unable to identify derelict vessel origin, but suggested deep space science vessel. Additionally, preliminary material analysis of hull indicated vessel had been adrift for at least 8 centuries. Sensors could not detect life signs or active major power systems.

Away team lead by myself boarded the derelict vessel to search for remains and ascertain cause of desolation. However, troubling psychic emissions prompted me to abort the mission. Over my objections and warnings that vessel was haunted, CMDR Callahan-Kermit and LCDR Mercer opted to mount a second expedition to the derelict.

Providing remote support over comms, I assisted away team in reactivation of vessel’s main power. Doing so appeared to cause a thoron radiation leak somewhere on the vessel; levels were nonlethal but disruptive to communications and transporter lock. During communication blackout, U.S.S. Valkyrie received urgent distress call from civilian vessel on Aldebaran trade lane, 9LY from current location. Officer in charge on bridge decided to respond, deeming risk to away team personnel acceptable, despite my objection. Before departing, I boosted transmission strength hoping to break through interference and advise away team of U.S.S. Valkyrie’s plan.

Details of rescue operation are available in AAR Valkyrie 99818.1. Upon completion of critical repairs, U.S.S. Valkyrie made best possible speed back to last known coordinates of derelict vessel. Another search was undertaken, for the vessel was not found on its anticipated trajectory. Instead, the derelict was found in combat with hitherto unidentified Annatar drone craft deeper within asteroid field.

Initially Annatar craft appeared to be victim of derelict aggression, and contact with human operator Sebastien Sault indicated derelict was under control of malignant software which had killed members of the Valkyrie away team. Re-establishment of contact with team on derelict clarified all members alive, but Sault had kidnapped Mercer and attempted to escape aboard drone craft. U.S.S. Valkyrie apprehended Sault and recovered all away team members safely.

Despite activity during combat, derelict vessel appeared to power down after U.S.S. Valkyrie arrival on scene. Critical components of derelict systems were found onboard Annatar drone craft, illegally scavenged by Sault. (Federation salvage claim beacon, disabled and partially disassembled, also found aboard.) Repairs and restoration of removed components to derelict vessel did not appear to reactivate intelligence(s) sensed aboard vessel by CMDR Callahan-Kermit, LTJG Naum, or myself.

U.S.S. Valkyrie is underway to Deep Space 13 with derelict vessel and Annatar drone craft in tow.

RECOMMENDATION Destroy derelict vessel – it anchors cursed spirits and any attempts to salvage or repair it will only prolong suffering. Prosecute Sebastien Sault for illegal salvage operation and kidnapping of Starfleet officer.

RECOGNITION I told you not to mess with that ship.

OOC Better late than never? Transcript of event here.

8 Likes