AAR: Crawl out through the Fallout

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96280
FILED BY:
CAPT S. Bishop
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

MISSION: Survey planet.

OUTCOME: Planet surveyed. Possible Prime Directive breach.

KEY PERSONNEL:
CAPT S. Bishop
CAPT A. Nimitz
CAPT T. Nimitz
CMDR A. Samaras
LT(JG) T. Shinwa
ENS R. Mitsuki
ENS A. Terik

SCDR E. t'Cyklaas

NARRATIVE: The Endeavour began it's mission to survey the Sustridies IV, last surveyed in 2401 by the Vayt. The planet was incapable of sustaining life so the crew were surprised when we detected biological signs on the surface. An away team consisting of Captains Bishop and Nimitz, Subcommander t'Cyklaas, and Lieutenant Shinwa, beamed to the surface to investigate these biological signs. These biosigns appeared to come from cybernetic robots who were working on the surface, collecting material to place machines to take down underground. It was theorised that the survivors of the Sustridian nuclear war lived underground.

The away team returned to the Endeavour and we formalised a way to potentially contact the Sustridians, if they did live underground. As we were configuring the comms for this, we also detected a signal from the planet that was masked by the radiation before, though it was too degraded to receive. We proceeded to contact the Sustridians, who warned us to not beam down to the planet because of the radiation. It would seem that the signal was a similar warning.

The Sustridians proceeded to ask for a favour done; that we recover the data in their satellite network to give to them, in order for them to begin to try to clean up the damage on the planet. Even though the data was theirs, it was decided that this was a potential Prime Directive breach, so an away team (consisting of all the officers listed above with the exception of Commander Samaras and Ensign Mitsuki), beamed down to the surface in order to gain more information about the Sustridians before any data was exchanged.

It was on the planet that the away team realised, though the Sustridians were advanced technologically, they were still primitive and were even in a war with their neighbours, though this last point was concealed by the Sustridians. Upon realising this, the away team excused themselves and returned to the Endeavour. It was finally decided that there was to be no information exchange, to any parties. We told the Sustridians that we were unable to transmit the data across, and they thanked us for our time. After this, we departed the system.

RECOMMENDATION: Data of the Sustridies System should be updated to include the survey data we gathered. This mission skirted us close to the borders of the Prime Directive, but it is this officer's belief that the Prime Directive was upheld at all stages; the Sustridians did not gain any information that they did not already have, and with the exception of revealing our presence to them, something that this officer believes they already knew from our entering orbit, the Sustridians were not influenced by any of our actions. The away teams took steps to ensure that the Prime Directive was upheld throughout.

OOC: AAR for the events Crawl out through the Fallout, Parts 1 and 2. Logs available on request. Not the ending I planned this event to take, but then again, I always expect everyone to die.
1 Like

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96280.6
FILED BY:
SCDR Eviess i-Ra'tleihfi t'Cyklaas
SECURITY:
Level 3 - Restricted

MISSION: Investigate anomalies on planet. Make contact with local sapients.

OUTCOME: Departed upon discovery of volatile political situation.

KEY PERSONNEL:
CAPT S. Bishop
CAPT A. Nimitz
CAPT T. Nimitz
SCDR Eviess
LTJG T. Shinwa
ENS R. Mitsuki
ENS A. Terik

NARRATIVE: This operation could be divided into two parts. The first was our initial survey of the planet which could be classified as a post-apocalyptic tomb world. We found several buildings and automatons that we later discovered to possess organic brains that were used for the purposes of direct control from the local sapient government.

We beamed down to investigate what looked like prefabricated buildings down in the surface where everything but these structures were ruined. Bishop and one of the Endeavour crew departed to investigate a nearby automaton while Nimitz and I remained at the structure.

We discovered a dumbwaiter that was constructed to prevent radiation from entering, and further scans by myself discovered that the inside could not be detected. Captain Nimitz chose to break open the dumbwaiter and position an exocomp inside. The exocomp proceeded to repair the broken lock but we could not lower it due to what looked like internal alarms and warnings. We hypothesized that the dumbwaiter had to be radiation-free for any success. I recommended that we set up a clean room in the prefabricated building, but we were recalled following the return of Bishop and his people.

The second time we were over the planet, we started to receive communications from the planet below. The sapients contacted us and Nimitz handled the pleasantries. The locals managed to build small communities underground to escape the fallout. I warned the captains in a private setting that they'll likely want something that would break Starfleet's first general order but they seemed unconvinced at first. The sapients requested that the Endeavour provide them the data from the orbital satellites. Upon investigation, we discovered that it also included the locations of unused nuclear warheads.

The away team moved to one of the prefabs where we then went down an elevator to an underground municipality. I confirmed that we still maintained communications and a transporter lock with the Endeavour. We went to meet with the local leader where more first contact was established. Following conversations regarding how their society exists and functions, we learned that the municipality was under attack by a nearby state. This was contradictory to what they told us about them being the only state. Deciding that giving these people the satellite data would give them a weighted advantage over their neighbors, the party proceeded to exfiltrate back to the Endeavour.

RECOMMENDATION: I think the decision to cut off talks of aid were the right decision, given the seemingly volatile nature of the local polities and our lack of knowledge of it. Everybody performed as expected, though I do have some concerns as to what the Captains' plan was regarding diplomacy. It seemed far too eager and I had bad feelings about it the entire time, and Captain T. Nimitz's statements that the first general order had to be bent sometimes did put into question what I should do as an exchange officer and what the cohesive plan was.

OOC: The Grumpy Romulan's take on the mission. The event was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. Maybe Khans kill people without looking them in the face, but I ain't a fink, dig? You've made your last delivery kid. Sorry you got twisted up in this scene. From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18-carat run of bad luck. Truth is...the game was rigged from the start.

3 Likes