AAR: First, Do No Harm

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96506.5
FILED BY:
LCDR Nim, Vera
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Recover lost Starfleet technology with minimal disruption to pre-warp civilization

OUTCOME: Item recovered

KEY PERSONNEL:
CAPT Nimitz, Alistair
CAPT Timoreev, Andrej
CMDR T'nar, J'Atho'Anor Sam're
LCDR Nim, Vera
LCDR Sedai, Katriel
LT Blake, Kara
LT Valore, Sera
SUBLT t'Lhoell, Shiarrael

NARRATIVE: Deep Space 13 received a request for assistance from an FCD pre-contact observation team embedded on Qia II, which reported having lost some gear. According to the briefing, political unrest on the planet prompted an assassination attempt on the life of Director Dhaeyen of the global coordination framework, a figure of significant importance to this civilization's efforts to unify and expand into space. In the chaos following this attack, a doctor belonging to the observation team decided to stop observing and intercede, using Starfleet medical tech to stabilize the director until Qian emergency responders could arrive. However, the doctor got spooked by the arrival of said responders and in her haste to leave the scene, she left behind a protoplaser. By the time the team noticed the loss and returned to recover the tool, it was missing. They later tracked the technology to the home of the Director, a secure facility.

Upon our arrival on Qia II in disguise, the group dispatched from DS13 was met by the observation team and transported by wheeled conveyance to the Director's home. En route, the observation team provided us with some security keycards they had procured and non-lethal weapons appropriate for the technology level of the planet. Our plan was to split into two groups, one of which would take control of the security control room while the other recovered the lost item. This plan proved more challenging to execute than anticipated. While Capt. Nimitz's overwatch team successfully secured the control room, Lt. Cmdr. Sedai's recovery team (to which I belonged) ran into a guard patrol en route to the target location. Given my experience and training, Lt. Cmdr. Sedai had delegated authority to me for the stealth approach. However, I failed to properly coordinate our concealment, and as a result we were left with no alternative but to subdue the guard patrol. This altercation was graceless and sloppy, but the threat was neutralized quietly, at least.

After this, the recovery team proceeded to the location of the protoplaser without further incident. We detected the presence of a Qian in the vicinity of the item: Director Dhaeyen. I was able to sense the Director's thoughts before entry, and knew that the Director was aware of our intrusion. She assumed that we were more assassins coming to finish the job. All of this information would have been known to the recovery team leader, Lt. Cmdr. Sedai, when she made the call to show ourselves to the Director rather than risk further violence and all the potential ramifications that could have. Without divulging our origins or observational agenda, Lt. Cmdr. Sedai successfully persuaded the Director to turn over the protoplaser to us. While she may have harbored suspicions about the source of the advanced tech she was carrying, I feel confident that our recovery efforts, at least, did not provide any additional contaminating information. With the lost item in our possession, both the recovery and overwatch teams rendezvoused with the observation team for exfiltration.

RECOMMENDATION: Close review of all recent FCD observation team logs for further incidents. Consider reassigning the doctor who interceded to save the life of the Director; this officer may have permanently altered the course of this planet's history. While her actions were motivated by altruism, her objectivity and commitment to the mission of the First Contact Division warrant intense scrutiny after this incident.

OOC: Ok, so we did a little harm.
7 Likes