AAR: Now You See Me

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 95917.9
FILED BY:
LTJG Khet, Mossic
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Assist Lt. Mondet in testing his prototype Transphasic Imaging Projector

OUTCOME: Prototype requires some further refinement to address phase displacement issues

KEY PERSONNEL:
LT Mercer, Olivia
LTJG Mondet
LTJG Khet, Mossic

NARRATIVE: On or about Stardate 95912, I received a communique from Lt. J.G. Mondet, who invited me to help him conduct a "momentous experiment". At the conclusion of my duty shift on the bridge, I proceeded to Science Lab 20, encountering Lt. Mercer en route to the same destination. We met Mondet, who explained that he had built a device called a "Transphasic Imaging Projector" and wanted our help testing it. I later learned that an earlier prototype for this same device caused the mishap in Lab 23, but the details were not known to me at the time of my participation in the Lab 20 experiment.

Lt. Mondet requested that I regulate the power flow to the device while Lt. Mercer gathered sensor data throughout the experiment. Shortly before the experiment was to commence, Lt. Mondet remembered that he had forgotten some equipment and left to retrieve it. He assured Lt. Mercer and myself that he would only be away for a moment and insisted that nobody halt the countdown on his behalf.

The experiment proceeded in Lt. Mondet's absence, with the device creating a phase displacement field encompassing me, Lt. Mercer, and the device itself. We began to observe visual phenomena such as a greenshift effect and observed reflective spheroid objects floating within the field's area of effect. Lt. Mercer made contact with one of the spheres to confirm that their presence was physical, not merely imagery projection as we had been told to expect. When Lt. Mondet returned, I attempted to communicate with him, but quickly realized that he could neither see nor hear us.

Realizing that the Transphasic Projector had been displaced into this phase with us, Lt. Mercer and I got to work figuring out how to make it put us back. While I focused on the inner workings of the device, Lt. Mercer interfaced with its computer controls and found a way to reverse the phase displacement.

Upon our return to our home phase, the device shifted several spheres of foreign matter into realspace with us. Lt. Mercer quickly ordered a level 3 forcefield to quarantine the area until we were able to verify that the spheres presented no threat.

RECOMMENDATION: Thoroughly review all sensor logs from Science Lab 20 and Lt. Mercer's tricorder to provide experimental data for use in further development of the Mondet Transphasic Imaging Projector. Revise and iterate upon the design as needed. Also compare and analyze discrepancies between this data and the Systems Integration Simulator test construct built for this experiment; we might be able to improve the Simulator's accuracy at modeling phase displacement effects based on what we learned here.

OOC: Thanks to Derenzis for planning and running this event!
3 Likes