AAR: Patrol of Tholian Border

Stardate:
Filed By:
CAPT Zarath, Tellara
Clearance:

LOCATION Federation-Tholian border, lower Ba’aja Sector

MISSION Investigate unusual gravitational readings detected in Tholian space from long range reports from USS Retribution and report to command.

OUTCOME INCONCLUSIVE Mission prematurely aborted due to discovery of stricken vessel and unusual structure in deep subspace. Omega Directive activation. Cassini will conclude original mission before returning to DS13.

KEY PERSONNEL

• CAPT Zarath, T.
  • CMDR Odom, A.
  • LCMDR Suvik
  • LTJG Zeraav, Z.
  • ENS Felenn, R.
  • ENS Mara

NARRATIVE Cassini departed from DS13 at Beta shift, with pre-approved flight plan to the Federation-Tholian border, galactic south of DS13. A small selection of DS13 officers made themselves available to fill in positions while the Cassini crew rotation remains underway.

Transit was uneventful, and we arrived at the border by Beta+1. I ordered for a probe to be launched, to act as a relay between Cassini and the Federation Subspace Network. Upon reviewing the mission logs, I am now discovering that my Science officer, Commander Arribs, had altered the probe to also scan for Tholian energy signatures as well as acting as a relay station. While it is unlikely these modifications would have caused any issues with either our original mission, or caused any significant effect on the later discovered gateway, I will remind the Commander that she should confirm changes to mission parameters with the command staff.

Shortly after the probe was launched and activated, Cassini experienced a number of malfunctions to subspace sensitive systems, including the computer cores, warp core and sensor systems. I ordered a yellow alert, while Ensign Felenn was able to use the available data to work an internal consistency algorithm, allowing us to establish a working baseline.

Lieutenant Commander Suvik reported that the probe had drifted off course, along with an antiproton signature with an undetermined origin, growing in intensity. Commander Arribs reported that subspace sensors were detecting a large subspace distortion, similar to a medium strength warp field, but moving at an incredibly slow pace. Neutrino scans and density collated with a large structure in subspace, slowing beginning to affect normal space.

Computer simulation of gateway, based on Subspace sensor input

At this point, I took the decision to take Cassini into subspace using our static warp field generators, and we were immediately presented with a large object, a circular aperture, with antiproton lances arcing from a lattice like structure across the aperture. On the outer edge appeared to be a vessel, stuck into the aperture itself, partially phasing back into normal space and anchoring to the probe in normal space. As a result the ship was slowly breaking up against the lattice. Commander Suvik confirmed there were no life signs aboard the vessel and I opted to pull the ship free with a tractor beam, storing the vessel in Cassini’s shuttlebay for later examination.

Upon removal of the vessel from the lattice, the Omega Directive was activated, likely indicating the presence of Omega particles behind the aperture.

No Tholian contact was made during this mission.

RECOMMENDATION Due to the now known nature of Omega particles, in particular in relation to Iconian technology, I believe further investigation of the gateway should be carried out, up to and including transit beyond the aperture if a safe method of travel is identified.

Because of the presumed damage to the exterior of the gateway, and the antiproton lances, it is unknown how stable the transit path may be. Cassini will continue monitoring of the gateway and conduct full sensor scans to determine a safe path, dispatching probes and close range shuttlecraft.

Cassini’s original mission will be carried out in normal space, with long range sensor scans being made across the border.

RECOGNITION All crew performed admirably.

OOC Transcript available here: Log: Looking Through The Fence (Thank you Sam, as ever!)
Thank you for attending!

8 Likes
Stardate:
Filed By:
LT Vehl, Naderi
Clearance:

ADDENDUM This addendum serves to catalog the findings of the U.S.S. Cassini’s long range sensor sweep in the aftermath of the above incident, in an attempt to fulfill the original mission parameters of probing for and locating anything of note across Tholian space. Preliminary scans revealed an anomaly in the Janus sector, on the far side of Tholian space. At first, the anomaly presented as a dip in activity surrounded by evenly distributed activity. Initial assessments stated that the lack of signatures could potentially be a large black hole.

Officers on the bridge at the time then attempted to confirm this hypothesis by cross-referencing older star charts to analyze the movement of stars around the area, in an attempt to discern a pattern that would be consistent with the presence of a black hole. Additionally, officers conducted readings for plasma flares, scanned the next sector, and accessed Nukara Task Force databases to check for anything related to the Janus Sector.

While follow-on scans could not confirm nor deny the presence of a black hole, it did confirm that there was not a single Tholian vessel in the Janus Sector, with captured knowledge by the Nukara Task Force revealing that there was a parsec-radius exclusion zone put in place by the Tholians since the late 2200s.

Future courses of action: Orient the Amargosa Subspace Telescope Array to the Janus Sector, or train optical sensors on the Janus Sector from any position 150 light-years away. For the time being, there is no confirmation of what lies in the Janus Sector.

1 Like