AAR: Software Upgrade in Aux Engineering Lab 1

Stardate:
Filed By:
ENS Felenn, Renaah
Clearance:

LOCATION Starbase Deep Space 13, Engineering Deck.

ASSIGNMENT Trial upgrades of general operating system from UFPuntu 2419.06 Cautious Caitian to UFPuntu 2422.08 Devious Denobulan in Aux Engineering Lab 1, to test and facilitate further software support of cross-Alliance technologies.

OUTCOME New operating system successfully installed. One algorithmic segment, identified as Alpha-4-41-Gamma, is not completely compatible with the existing starbase computer framework. Work around was done manually. Further software trials already underway.

KEY PERSONNEL

• CDR Hannah O’Dara, DS13 Operations Dept.
  • LTJG Thyzee, DS13 Science Dept.
  • ENS Renaah Felenn, DS13 Operations Dept.(*)

NARRATIVE On Stardate 99706, shortly after the beginning of the Beta shift, I was joined by the officers listed above in the Auxiliary Engineering Lab 1 (AEL-1). Even though the installation of the new system was a “one-person-job”, Commander O’Hara expressed her interest in supervising the trial process given that this software will become a wide-spread standard in the following months. LTJG Thyzee offered assistance.

The installation of firmware/software proceeded in three stages:

1. Disconnecting AEL-1 from the main computer framework of the starbase. This was authorised by Commander O’Hara at my recommendation. No issues occurred in this stage.

2. Installation of UFPuntu 2422.08 consisted of several steps. First, I cleared the back-up cache from which the current operating system is reset in case of major breakdowns. Second, we continued with decompression and installation of the software package into the back-up cache followed by the installation of the software into AEL-1 computer framework. While the basic functions (such as user interface, data input, output and transfer command, etc.) proceeded without an issue, a compatibility issue occurred at the level of advanced functions. As LTJG Thyzee informed me at the time, an algorithmic segment Alpha-4-41-Gamma did not conform to the new system conditions. By consulting a manual, we discovered this segment was related to the fuel consumption optimisations (calculated individually for each vessel, based on its current mission profile, geometric and crew size, etc.) for the vessels of Romulan Republic Navy. As Commander O’Hara pointed out, the software did not account for the individual needs of the Romulan vessels serving in the exchange programme with the 38th Fleet. The seeming incompatibility was circumvented by temporarily disabling the aforementioned algorithmic segment. Fortunately, the new operating system has several “legacy module” options which were activated. The computer was able to construct a replacement algorithm based upon massive amount of fuel consumption data accumulated over the past decade. Initial efficiency of the replacement was at 87.6%, but after writing an additional code, I was able increase it to 91%.

3. After master reset of the AEL-1 computer systems, the lab was reconnected to the starbase computer framework without issues.

At this point, I would like to note that compatibility issues were expected as the new operating system is still (partially) in field testing phase and it requires case-by-case fine tuning.

Between the described procedure and the time of this report submission, I contacted the Allied Cooperative Starship Development Board (ACSDB) computer department and reported the issue which we encountered. Within 48 standard hours, they were able to provide with so-called “hot fix” which should allow a full utilisation of the algorithm Alpha-4-41-Gamma. I will admit that their explanation, while understandable, is not completely to my satisfaction.

The current version of UFPuntu was initially targeted at the three ship classes which ACSDB developed from technological crossover (Khitomer, Temer, Jarok). While the latter two were heavily influenced by Romulan engineering, both still use the matter/anti-matter based FTL propulsion, as opposed to artificial quantum signularity one (based on Penrose process, as LTJG Thyzee pointed out). Therefore, the newest UFPuntu, at least the general-wise version, did not account for the need of Penrose equations in fuel consumption estimations. There is a derivative work (known in jargon as Rihanntu) which accounts for artificial quantum singularity FTL propulsion, but that was tailored for Republic Navy requirements only.

The ACSDB’s intention that newest operating system would be spread from the three classes of vessels to a wider community is commendable, but this oversight of not including essential difference in FTL propulsions suggests that the coordinating bodies within ACSDB are still working as separate entities, rather than a unified force.

The version of operating system with provided “hot fix” was installed in AEL-2 systems without any serious issues at the time.

RECOMMENDATION The three auxiliary engineering labs were intended as “testing grounds” of the newest software and fine-tuning it to our needs. From the reported issues, however, it is clear that, beside fine-tuning, we will have to work on upgrading and even building some software segments by ourselves as well.

My recommendation would be not continue with software system replacement until we determine how it affects the functioning of our assignments (not just fuel consumption optimisations, but in general). Currently, there is one system running in each of three auxiliary engineering labs: AEL-1 system runs with new software using “legacy” components further expanded by my additional coding (work in progress). AEL-2 system runs with new software and “hot fix” provided directly from ACSDB (no further modifications have been done). AEL-3 system is working with a earlier version of software.

The idea would be to run comparative observations of the three systems by feeding them with the same datasets which our computer systems usually use for fuel optimisations. Then, we can compare the outputs of AEL-1 and 2 with AEL-3, which would serve as a “control sample”. Based on deviations in AEL-1, I would develop further subalgorithms while deviations in AEL-2 would be reported directly to ACSDB, along with my own independent work in AEL-1.

Estimated time before the first applicable results is 60 Earth days, while the full resolution and implementation can be expected in further 180 to 240 Earth days.
​
RECOGNITION I would like to thank Commander O’Hara and LTJG Thyzee for the assistance and easy-going atmosphere during my very first independent assignment aboard DS13.

OOC Link to event log: here
Thanks to @ElvenLord and @Stoofer for showing up. :smiley:

4 Likes