AAR: The Forest of Silence

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96304.1
FILED BY:
CMDR A. Samaras
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Astronomical survey of the system.

OUTCOME: Preliminary survey completed. System mapped.

KEY PERSONNEL:
CMDR A. Samaras
LCDR K. Sojung
ENS S. Miyawaki
ENS R. Mitsuki

NARRATIVE: Upon arrival to the system, the above officers were tasked in mapping the system for survey and for future study. The system contains four major celestial bodies; a pulsar, a brown dwarf star, and two planets. Due to the pulsar, the system has high levels of radiation, decreasing as you approach the system rim. This is where the planets are located. Shields are able to negate most of the radiation on the outer rim. Deeper study of the system would require adapted shields to withstand the high levels of radiation.

​The system has an unusual phenomenon in the form of strange radiation "currents" that swirl around the system, moving inwards towards the brown dwarf star. Though these currents are periodical, they have the potential, to completely rip apart any ship that is caught up in them. Once again, these currents are stronger moving towards the centre of the system; as long as a ship steers clear of them and does not venture deep into the system, the ship could remain in the system almost indefinitely.

However, there is another danger the system has; every fifteen hours, three minutes, and seven seconds, the pulsar completes a full rotation and emits a high beam of radiation. This beam is very dangerous to any object that is caught in the blast, including those in the outer rim. The movement of this beam causes the aforementioned radiation currents, so the currents are able to be mapped and plotted to a high degree of accuracy. The planets, however, seem to interact with the radiation in a peculiar way; they seem to absorb the radiation creating a radiation-free pocket on the outer facing side of the second planet in the system. Provided a ship was able to reach this pocket in time, it would be able to survive the radiation beam and wait until the radiation levels drop back to manageable levels before leaving it. This provides us with a good vantage point to survey the system without having to leave every fifteen hours.

RECOMMENDATION: The data acquired by the initial survey revealed many safety precautions when surveying this system. The engineering team should work on shield modulation to filter out the radiation, whilst the medical team should remain on standby with anti-radiation sprays just in case. Ensigns Bonzi and Mitsuki are currently leading a piloting simulation for all the helm officers to become acquainted with the hazards in the simulation and how to move around them.​

OOC: Don't worry, you didn't miss the event! This was a closed Endeavour event to set the scene for the main event. I just wanted it all in one place.

EDIT: Sector moved.
2 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96304.1
FILED BY:
LCDR C. Ki'tet
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Sample Collection

OUTCOME: Inhabitants discovered

KEY PERSONNEL:
CAPT A. Nimitz
LCDR C. Ki'tet
ENS R. Mitsuki
CAPT G. Valencia

NARRATIVE: We arrived on the planet, our objective was to collect soil, water, and air samples. Soon enough each of us started experiencing different phenomenon. From encroaching buzzing, a hoard of flies, sharp smells, amongst an assortment of other sensations and feelings. Later we found that the trees had a telepathic element to them, which Captain Alistair Nimitz had guessed upon earlier. A disagreement arose about whether we should find shelter or look for a high area to which we could signal for rescue, the decision was soon made to ideally come across both. We began making our way up the nearest stream of water, in hopes of high ground. With night rapidly falling, I was placed in lead due to my nocturnal sight. Prior to, the trees sought to restrain the group, using their roots to entangle both Captain Nimitz and Ensign Mitsuki. On the journey, Ensign Rumi Mitsuki began to get lightheaded as a result of the sharp smells, to which Captain Valencia went back to aide the ensign. We soon arrived in an open field, surrounded by the trees. In the sky, the atmospheric phenomenon commonly known as an aurora, emerged. After moments of banter, we were alerted to the sound of an impulse drive, signalling that a shuttle was near. In attempt to notify the shuttle of our presence we fired flares into the sky, which surely enough brought us to their attention. With the arrival of the shuttle, we were beamed off planet and returned to the Endeavor. As for the samples, the ensign and Captain Valencia were successful in collecting water and air samples, whereas the only dirt samples were on my right hand glove.

RECOMMENDATION: For a scientific application to the happenings in the report I'll have to direct you to Captain Valencia, as for the planet, I suggest to forbid travel, as the full capabilities of these 'telepathic trees' are unknown and could pose a danger to those of Starfleet.
2 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96308.3
FILED BY:
CPT G. Valencia
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Sample Collection.

OUTCOME: Samples collected, discovery of potentially sapient trees.

KEY PERSONNEL:
CAPT A. Nimitz
LCDR C. Ki'tet
ENS R. Mitsuki

CPT G. Valencia

NARRATIVE: This officer was tasked along with the other three officers to collect samples on the planet; air, water, plant, and soil. We were one of three teams deployed to different regions on the planet. As the next radiation beam in the system was to happen in eight hours time, we had to have returned to the ship in this time so that the U.S.S. Endeavour had time to move away to the safe pocket behind the second planet in the system.

At first, the collection of samples was easy. However, between the team, we noticed strange happenings such as trees seemingly moving, a sudden horde of insects attacking the team, and the water in the stream turning red. We then lost comms contact with the other teams, and the U.S.S. Endeavour. This officer stated that we should head towards higher ground in order to find a way to contact the ship and so that we were easier to spot by any search party, imperative given that we knew that the Endeavour would have to depart at a fixed time. In addition to this, Ensign Mitsuki knew when the U.S.S. Endeavour would appear over a given spot of sky, but in order for her to get an accurate reading, she needed to observe the sky. However, Captain Nimitz opted that we instead search for shelter in order to wait out the radiation if it hit. Whilst this officer disagreed about their rates of survival if they stayed on the planet, the team followed the Captain's seniority and authority as mission lead, partly due to the fact we postulated that a cave would be more likely to occur in mountainous regions, which would naturally have to be on higher ground. Using a stream as a guide, we began to walk upstream.

The trek through the forest was long and tedious, with the forest seeking to hinder us at every step. The canopy seemed to close in on us as we ventured further into the forest, making Ensign Mitsuki's method of tracking the Endeavour useless and having to rely on guesswork from the previous readings. In addition to this, the path we took seemed to become more and more overgrown as we walked through, requiring us to cut down the foliage to advance. Roots and stones seemed to rise from nowhere to trip and ensnare us; at one point, the entire team had been snagged by the vines and roots of a tree. As the light faded, we began to notice a strange smell coming from the trees, which seemed to affect both myself and the Ensign the most, making us feel lightheaded and faint. With Lieutenant Commander Ki'tet taking point due to his acute night vision, we managed to come across a small hillock, free from trees. From here, a cave could be sighted, but with the light fading, and the time it took for us to make our way through the forest, it became very clear that we would not make it to the caves in time; around fifty minutes remained before the radiation beam was due to hit, and we had missed the last flyover of the U.S.S. Endeavour in orbit. With time running out, this officer tried to modulate our com badges in order to try to contact the U.S.S. Endeavour, but was unable to do so.

With ten minutes before the radiation hit, we heard the sound of impulse engines in the distance; the U.S.S. Bark was conducting Search and Rescue operations over the planet. After modifying the phasers to fire flare like beams, we were able to attract the attention of the ship and were rescued.

RECOMMENDATION: Whilst I believe Captain Nimitz's decision to prioritise shelter over clear ground was a poor decision, given what we knew of the situation, no fault can be levied on him, as it was a sensible course of action to take, and had we not have been hindered by the trees, we could have made it to the caves. However, I highly doubt that we would have been able to survive the radiation blast even if we had taken shelter in the caves.

In addition to this, whilst I admire the Lieutenant Commander's faith in my scientific skills, I would leave the scientific analysis to the science department onboard the ship. I also believe that travel to this planet be limited for humanoids, both on account of the trees and the fact that any time on the tropical paradise would be limited to a few hours at the most due to the radiation beam from the pulsar.

OOC: Brie's AAR for the event "Forest of Silence". Event logs available on request.
2 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96308.3
FILED BY:
CMDR A. Samaras
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

NARRATIVE: Analysis from the planet shows that the forest uses a remarkable technique to offset the radiation from the pulsar. When there is an increase of radiation in the atmosphere, the trees release a chemical into the air to absorb and neutralise the radiation effect. The byproduct of this process renders the planet almost inhospitable to life, a delicate balance evolving there. The trees act as guardians almost, to preserve the ecosystem that has been set. To do this, the trees communicate using their root network, passing information from tree to tree. If there is any change in the ecosystem detected by one tree, this information can be transmitted across trees, with a message being able to travel around the planet in approximately thirteen hours.

When the away teams were sent to the planet, the trees treated them as a hostile presence and automatically tried to remove them to preserve their own ecosystem. The trees were moving on instinct and evolution, instead of carefully reasoned actions.

RECOMMENDATION: If this was Federation territory, I would recommend this system to be listed as a protected reserve, with scientists studying the fascinating ecosystem from afar. However, given the circumstances, I would recommend that a probe be deployed to not only continue to monitor the system, but to also inform others of the risks that come with sending poeople down to the planet.

OOC: Amy's summary and closing recommendations of the event "Forest of Silence".
1 Like