AAR: Zelvan-Tiyanki Peace Conference

-- Delete this line if you don't want one
Stardate:
Filed By:
LTJG Stern, Ulrich
Clearance:

After Action Report

LOCATION Zelvan-Tiyanki DMZ.

MISSION Continue diplomatic efforts towards establishing lasting peace between the Zelvan and Tiyanki.

OUTCOME Both representatives agreed to concessions and further talks, including a phased stand down of naval forces over a two week period.

KEY PERSONNEL

• CAPT Tungsten, Drake
  • CAPT Mirazuni, Ayesha
  • CAPT Alistair, Nimitz
  • CAPT Hanson, Rose
  • LTJG Stern, Ulrich
  • ENS Sovum, Veneela

NARRATIVE This round of talks started off in a similar fashion to previous instances. Both delegates considered the other an unfriendly, if not hostile, presence. Decelerations of good intent were secured prior to any diplomatic discussions. Reports from previous talks indicated fleet movements and non-diplomatic activity occurring, so it was critical that such activities be limited while negotiations were taking place.

It remains to be seen what, if any, effect these declarations had, as it seemed that there were back-channel conversations occurring between non-diplomatic Federation personnel and both species. Regardless, after the usual blustering by both parties talks were started. It was immediately clear that one issue was at the forefront of both parties: securing civilian trade routes. Despite the agreement on this being a mutual concern, neither representative was willing to make a concession or offer a solution. Talks progressed to other issues, but this topic will likely arise in future negotiations.

Of note, the only topic the delegates were able to agree on was a mutual distaste towards allowing the Federation or another third party to take an active role in protecting trade or investigating terrorist activity as a neutral party. One would think this shared distrust of outsiders would build some common ground, but that was not the case.

After close to two hours of both parties claiming to want a settlement while sabotaging every such effort to affect that, a more direct diplomatic strategy was pursued with success. This direct strategy focused the representatives towards making actual concessions. One major success was the agreement of both species to stand down their navies over a two week period, drastically reducing the chance of a conflict in the immediate future. An additional concession was the Tiyanki recognizing a Zelvan investigation of terrorist activities and a prisoner swap. Both of these will require follow-up at the next meeting.

RECOMMENDATION Continue diplomatic efforts with higher level talks. While senior, both the Tiyanki and and Zelvan delegates reported being unable to commit to any significant concessions without additional governmental approval. Real progress will require diplomatic negotiations with respective heads of government.

OOC GM for this one is Valore!

7 Likes
-- Delete this line if you don't want one
Stardate:
Filed By:
CAPT Hanson, Rose
Clearance:

LOCATION Zelvan-Tiyanki DMZ.

MISSION Monitor Zelvan and Tiyanki fleets at the DMZ during talks.

OUTCOME Had both fleets agree to stand down from heightened status to a more peaceful state to ensure the talks were a success.

KEY PERSONNEL
CAPT Rose Hanson
CAPT Ayesha Mirazuni
ENS Veneela Sovum

NARRATIVE During the peaces Myself and Captain Mirazuni voulenteered to keep in touch with and monitor the Zelvan & Tiyanki fleets and anything else to keep the talks secure. As the Talks began the Dragon bridge crew alerted us to an unusual reading they were picking up. Myself and Captain Mirazuni headed to the Bridge. Ensign Sovum stayed behind to keep an eye on the delegates body language and to report anything to Captain Mirazuni.

While on the bridge, the crew alerted to me that the Tiyanki fleets weapons were charged. In order to keep the peace myself and Captain Mirazuni got into contact with the Tiyanki fleet. Where I attempted to calm Fis, Holy Commandant of the Holy Tiyanki. I made multiple attempts to gain his trust. I also noticed once we got on to the subject of weapons he became very nervous and was constantly looking off screen, obviously to someone in a higher position of power. The Tiyanki were very scared of the Zelvan fleet and wanted to be prepared in case things went wrong. We eventually came to the agreement that they would stand down their weapons if we convinced the Zelvan to remove their fighter craft from the edge of the DMZ.

I then contacted the Zelvan and spoke with Admiral Pilfus Tolarum. He seemed much more friendly and chatty and not as nervous as the Tiyanki (though they did have more fire power). We then told him of our agreement with Tiyanki and put forward what they wanted to power down their weapons. While the Admiral would have preferred to have been involved in the conversation from the start he did not want to start a war and agreed to have the fighters recalled and I offered to have the Sunrise patrol temporarily in their absence.

RECOMMENDATION In future to establish contact with fleet commanders from the start to avoid heightened tensions between the two fleets.

RECOGNITION Captain Mirazuni was excellent help and assited me well with the two fleets. Ensign Sovum kept us well informed about the ongoing peace talks.

OOC This is what Myself, Sam & Ven were up to during the peace talks! If you have missed anything please let me know.

5 Likes