Argo Book Club!

(Okay, maybe not an actual book club)

Anyway, in light of recent events and looking at ways to keep sane, I've taken to doing a rereading of my personal favorite book series 'Honor Harrington' by David Weber, I'm also considering diving into Dune again to try and actually get past God-Emperor of Dune this time around.

Of course I'm always happy to hear what other people like to read on their own time for recommendations. Feel free to mention your own favorite books and authors down below! I'll find the time to post a full list of my own favorites later.
3 Likes
First, I love you for starting this thread.

So, I just finished Brave New World which was a pretty easy read (though heavy subject matter). Dystopian sci-fi future in the vein of 1984, with a lot of behavioral science/conditioning themes like Walden Two.

I'm currently trudging through The Once and Future King. I'm hoping it picks up when The Ward grows.

Before that, I read Shanttaram, which was the fascinating story of an Australian man who fled prison and joined the Bombay Mafia in the 1970s-80s. It's based on the author's real-life experiences, including fighting with the mujahideen in Afghanistan.

My favorite books include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, the Ender's Game series (especially the latter books), and Harry Potter.

I've wanted to read Dune for a while, but I heard it's really long.
1 Like
The Count of Monte Cristo is a pretty great read. Would also recommend Crime and Punishment. There are a few analytical nonfiction books I have on historical trends and events, but I'm not sure people would be interested in those.
2 Likes
is still trudging through War and Peace
1 Like
I also have a book of poetry. I got it from a library book sale and it’s full of some of my favorites, like Ozymandias, Yarn of the Nancy Bell, and Thomas Moore’s masterpiece, The Potato.
1 Like
So, as I mentioned in my first post, 'Honor Harrington' by David Weber is one of my top favorite books series. Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books are also an old favorite that I grew up reading.

I have also greatly enjoyed reading the following Star Trek books
Destiny Trilogy
The Fall (Five book series)
Myriad Universes collections
The Enterprise continuation, covers the Earth-Romulan War as well as the early years of the Federation (Trip lives!)
The Millennium trilogy

I also enjoyed The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, and the two follow ups (Gods and Generals & The Last Full Measure) written by his son Jeffrey Shaara.

I was also a fan of the Hunger Games books

I have enjoyed the first three books of the Ender's Game series, but I can't seem to get though the fourth book
wrote:
I've wanted to read Dune for a while, but I heard it's really long.

It isn't a short book for sure, but I wouldn't say it's that noticeable? I got really sucked into the story and breezed though it, but that was just me.
I can't forget to mention Ernest Cline's Ready Player One and Armada
I have to admit, I tend to avoid Star Trek books because I don't want to taint my canon knowledge--and the few I read didn't really stick with me.

I enjoyed Hunger Games (mostly, but am honestly really over the "will they/won't they love triangle" angle that came out of the Twilight series).

I have mixed feelings about Ready Player One. I thought there were a lot of interesting concepts and I enjoyed some of the nostalgia. I thought the movie adaptation was pretty good.
You know what book I read recently that I hated? Altered Carbon

It was such a horrible example of male-gaze, "men writing women", masculine-revenge-fantasy-garbage I cannot express how much I hated that book, which is a shame because there where some cool concepts and ideas: how does society look when a person's memories and consciousness can be easily moved between bodies?

But the protagonist is such an unlikable dude-bro of limited personality, I actively wanted him to die so the book would end or we could switch to a more interesting character.
1 Like
wrote:
I enjoyed Hunger Games (mostly, but am honestly really over the "will they/won't they love triangle" angle that came out of the Twilight series).

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I won't give specific details, but I will put a general opinion in spoilers.
Spoiler: Hunger Games SpoilersShow
I was pretty upset at the ending, as I felt like the characters didn't learn anything. At the same time, it's fairly accurate as a reflexive of the immense pessimism and reaction that appears in post-totalitarian societies, so that sort of thinking that restarts the cycle of terror isn't particularly new.

So yeah.
wrote:
You know what book I read recently that I hated? Altered Carbon

It was such a horrible example of male-gaze, "men writing women", masculine-revenge-fantasy-garbage I cannot express how much I hated that book, which is a shame because there where some cool concepts and ideas: how does society look when a person's memories and consciousness can be easily moved between bodies?

But the protagonist is such an unlikable dude-bro of limited personality, I actively wanted him to die so the book would end or we could switch to a more interesting character.

b6765866-a8ac-4606-8155-6a66e0bf2f7b_text.gif
1 Like
wrote:
wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I won't give specific details, but I will put a general opinion in spoilers.
Spoiler: Hunger Games SpoilersShow
I was pretty upset at the ending, as I felt like the characters didn't learn anything. At the same time, it's fairly accurate as a reflexive of the immense pessimism and reaction that appears in post-totalitarian societies, so that sort of thinking that restarts the cycle of terror isn't particularly new.

Spoiler: More Hunger Games TalkShow
It's hard to know what the outcome of the revolution was. We know Kat goes on to have kids with Petra, but I don't think we know how the world looks exactly. A whole new reign of terror is definitely possible, even within Kat's lifetime. I think it would be interesting to revisit that society some years later and see what's going on.

What's also interesting about the Hunger Games is how there's no real discussion of what's going on outside the US; what do other countries look like? Could it be that the US is the only country like that and the rest of the world is going merrily along without the US?
Spoiler: Some More Hunger Games SpoilersShow
The immense apathy of the character at the end of the trilogy didn't help with the 'what happens now' situation. Seems like they withdrew after the conflict and decided to leave it to others. After they assassinated the new head of state.
Spoiler: Hunger GamesShow
To me, withdrawing fit the character well. She never wanted to be involved in the first place, but was forced when her sister was chosen in the first book.

Why the revolution didn't kill her for assassinating their chosen head of state is kind of curious. Maybe the cult of personality built around Katness was too big?
wrote:
Spoiler: Hunger GamesShow
To me, withdrawing fit the character well. She never wanted to be involved in the first place, but was forced when her sister was chosen in the first book.

Why the revolution didn't kill her for assassinating their chosen head of state is kind of curious. Maybe the cult of personality built around Katness was too big?
Spoiler: HGShow
Yeah... if it was anyone else, i think they would have made an example of her, but because she was the hero of the resistance and such, they gave her a get out of jail free card
Spoiler: I'm running out of adjectives spoilersShow
It's hard to say. I recall that the new HoS was a friend of hers, so maybe that's what happened. At the same time, it wouldn't be too difficult to make someone 'disappear'.

However, I think the status quo was perhaps the most viable. The optimal path was to remove her from the political sphere and going into isolation is a solution to that which fits everyone's desires. I wouldn't be surprised if the boyfriend character wasn't warned to keep Katness out of politics or else.