Azedi Trajector Defense Project Update

To: LTJG Zital, Serris (@Serris)
CC: LCDR Hanyo Irdu
Subj: AZEDI TRAJECTOR DEFENSE PROJECT UPDATE

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT MINIONS, I URGENTLY REQUIRE A SUMMARY ON THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE AZEDI TRACTOR DEFENSE PROJECT. I AM AWARE IT HAS LAIN DORMANT FOR SOME TIME, THANKS TO THE ALARMIST RESPONSE OF THE COWARDLY COMMANDER AUSTIN. BUT NOW IT SEEMS THAT WE HAVE SOMEHOW CAUGHT THE ATTENTION OF THE ADMIRALTY, AND WE MUST NOT LET THIS OPPORTUNITY PASS US BY.

DESCRIBE IN DETAIL THE FINAL DISPOSITION OF THE PROJECT, AND WHAT WORK REMAINS TO MAKE THIS TECHNOLOGY FIELD-DEPLOYABLE. GLORY MAY YET BE OURS.

//SIGNED//
tuq cargh qaStaHvIS ghIm h’ajah, shal puqbe’
Lt. Cmdr. H’ajah, daughter of Shal, of House Cargh in exile
Chief Engineer, Engineering Dept., Deep Space 13

4 Likes

To: LCDR H’ajah
CC: LCDR Hanyo Irdu
Subj: Re: AZEDI TRACTOR DEFENSE PROJECT UPDATE

Hello, Commander.

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, the Mariner project has been taking a lot of my time. Per the last report before the project was indefinitely paused, the proof of concept deployment of test modules functioned as anticipated. The design specifications are still on file on my shared drive, section AAD-01. We should theoretically be able to deploy a full network around the station within two weeks.

I do caution you, as discussed before, this area denial system presents some serious tactical disadvantages of its own. Subspace elasticity would be virtually nonexistent. All faster-than-light travel would cease to function within a spherical diameter of 1 AU around the station’s perimeter, and all incoming and outgoing communications would have to be relayed by laser to a subspace transciever at the edge of the field. This would disable real-time communications and delay any transmissions by eight minutes, which could jeopardize the station if we needed to send a distress call, though we do gain a 32-minute lead time to rally defenses against incoming hostiles.

There’s also the matter of the subspace disruption making it impossible to conceal the station from sensors. The Borg are naturally attracted to large-scale subspace fields, as they’re constantly trying to assimilate anything that may enhance their technology. Any nearby ships would likely be routed by the Collective to investigate.

Still, risks aside, this is viable, tested, and frankly, the only working solution we have to the tactical disadvantage presented by the Azedi’s vastly superior propulsion systems.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant J.G. Serris Zital
Propulsion Theorist
Deep Space 13

3 Likes