DS-13 Chamber Players Listserv

((This is a thread for the DS-13 Chamber Players listserv, which handles communication between members and prospective members. It was formed as the continuation of an older e-mail exchange.))
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93573.4
Security Level 1
TO LCDR Sedai, LT Capello, CRW Bozai
CC CPT Hill
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. DS-13 Chamber Players
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Following the cancellation of last month's edition of our monthly concert (due to the injuries suffered by LCDR Sedai), I planned a slightly less demanding programme for the upcoming concert. To assist us with our next performance, CRW Bozai has stepped in to assist us as a cellist following ENS Bixtal's resignation of his commission. In addition, I have added CPT Hill, of the MACO detatchment, to this listserv as an invitation to audition as a pianist.

The original plan, as some of you know, was for a short selection of duet works to be performed by me and LCDR Sedai, along with a piano quartet by Boellman. However, since that plan was devised in June, a series of unfortunate events have befallen the station and the fleet, and I believe some modification is necessary.

Therefore, I have tentatively programmed the following selections (if CPT Hill is not successful in her audition, her selections below will be assigned to LCDR Sedai, who will be practising them as alternate in any case):

1. Faure's Pavane, Op. 50 in F#m, to be performed by LCDR Sedai
2. Blake's String Trio, Op. 199 performed by myself, LT Capello, and CRW Bozai
3. An arrangement of Blake's "Walking in the Air" from The Snowman, performed CRW Bozai and CPT Hill*
4. An arrangement of Shenandoah for piano and violin, to be performed by myself and LCDR Sedai.

As always, our performance will take place on the first Friday of the month at 20:00, in the station auditorium. Please contact me directly if you know of any other people interested in joining our ensemble.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
Executive Officer, Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENTS//
Blake, Howard - String Trio, Op. 199
Blake, Howard - Walking in the Air from The Snowman (arr. for Cello and Piano)
Faure, Gabriel - Pavane, Op. 50 in F#m
Traditional - Shenandoah (arr. for Violin and Piano by M. Nesbitt)
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93588.9
Security Level 1
CC CPT Hill
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players

Because the programme given above has been running a trifle short in our practise sessions, I have added another piece between the 3rd and 4th programmed selections. I will perform a short, solo rendition of the traditional song Scarborough Fair, on the thirty-string Ancient Vulcan Violin. If you are unfamiliar with the Ancient Vulcan Violin, it is widely regarded to be the most logical (and easiest) musical instrument in the galaxy.

I will see you at tomorrow's 20:00 performance. Please remember to observe the dress code this time (no high-heeled shoes).

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
Traditional - Scarborough Fair (arr. for solo Ancient Vulcan Violin)
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93601.0
Security Level 1
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Although it is not customary for me to begin a communique with praise, I ccould not fail to note that the response given to last week's concert measureably conveyed more approbation than is typical at the conclusion of our monthly performances. Nor do I believe that the increase in applause volume and duration was due solely to the return of LCDR Sedai and to the resumption of our concert series following the previous cancellation, but rather was additionally in response to a performance which was satisfactory. Indeed, I go so far as to add that it was very satisfactory.

In advance of our upcoming practise session, I have attached the scores for the selections in our next concert programme.

1. We will open the performance with the solo piece. That solo falls to CRW Bozai, who will perform Sibelius' Theme and Variations for Cello. This is a standard piece of repertoire and should afford CRW Bozai the opportunity to demonstrate his mastery of his instrument.

2. Ending the first half of our programme is the Brahms A-minor trio. The viola occupies pride of place in this work, which is amongst those I myself prefer from the viola repertoire. Consequently, I will be giving special attention to LT Capello's performance, as he will no doubt appreciate.

3. When we return from our brief intermission, I will have been the only person not to have performed thus far. Therefore, we will open the second half with two violin and piano duets by Rachmaninoff--his Morceaux de Salon Op. 6 Nos. 1 and 2--both pieces which share thematic connexions to the preceding Brahms selection.

4. We will conclude with our ensemble work: Dvorak's Piano Quartet No. 2 in Eb, which you will recognise as a technically demanding piece with sections varying between the lyrical and the frenetic. Given recent events, and the varying emotions with which many of our personnel have striven on a daily basis (something I certainly do observe, even if I am a Vulcan), I suggest that this piece may serve a reflective purpose for the listeners, through which they may observe the sundry emotional forces which have variously acted upon them. The piece is also in a major key, and therefore offers a balance with the three minor key pieces that precede it in the programme, thus delivering on our theme for this month: post nubila phoebus.

I believe that ending the ensemble piece with finesse should bring the audience to their feet with appreciation. It has a compelling final movement and a finale that invites ovation.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
Brahms - Clarinet Trio in Am, Op. 114 (arr. for Viola)
Dvorak, Antonin - Piano Quartet No. 2 in Eb, Op. 87
Rachmaninoff, Sergei - Morceaux de salon, Op. 6, No. 1 "Romance"
Rachmaninoff, Sergei - Morceaux de salon, Op. 6, No. 2 "Hungarian Dance"
Sibelius, Jean - Theme and Variations in Dm for Cello, JS 196
6 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93702.0
Security Level 1
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Following the generally satisfactory reception to last month's performance, I have two comments:

1. Practise levels seem adequate. However we should strive to improve our overall performance level, so all members should consider increasing practise time by a nominal 10%.

2. Although the intention was undoubtedly appreciated, the use of 'music-enhancing pheremones' by any members of the DS-13 Chamber Players is hereafter prohibited.

Next month's performance will be comprised of four solo selections. For these, you may indulge yourselves in the selection, although the choice should be between five and fifteen minutes in length. The second half will be a single ensemble performance, Franz Xaver Mozart's Piano Quartet in Gm (Op. 1), the score for which is attached.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
Mozart, Franz Xaver Wolfgang - Piano Quartet in Gm, Op. 1
3 Likes
TO CMDR Caspius
FROM LCDR Sedai
SUBJ October concert

Hello, Commander. I am sending you my selections for approval, as well as for your reference in preparing program sequence.

Selections from Debussy's "Children's Corner" suite:
- Serenade for the Doll (2:54)
- Golliwog's Cakewalk (2:59)

Please let me know if these are inadequate.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Sedai, Katriel
DS13 Counseling

//ATTACHMENT//
Debussy, Claude - Serenade for the Doll
Debussy, Claude - Gollywog's Cakewalk
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93748.7
Security Level 1
TO LCDR Sedai
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Solo and Duet Works for 'Halloween'
4OB3P0J.png

LCDR Sedai,

I have been favourably impressed with your performance at our recent practise sessions. Given the traumatic nature of the injuries you suffered several months ago, your recovery is a remarkable--no doubt a testament to a willpower and diligence which appears to extend beyond your musical practise.

As a result of the expertise you have displayed, I have decided to invite you to participate in a smaller-scale ensemble, and in a more informal setting, than that typical of our monthly performances. In light of the upcoming 'Halloween' morale activities, I propose the performance of some suitable piano selections and piano arrangements for the piano suitable to the festivities on the day of 'Halloween' itself: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas No. 8 in Cm "Pathetique" and 14 in C#m "Moonlight", piano transcriptions of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm (BWV 565) and Boellmann's Suite Gothique. I myself will be playing some selected works arranged for solo violin, including Tartini's Violin Sonata in Gm "The Devil's Trill", and some select themes from Schubert's String Quartet No. 14 "Death and the Maiden". The piece de resistance would be an arrangement for Piano and Violin duet of Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

I add that you may select additional pieces as you like, in addition to or as a replacement for those suggested above.

For the purposes of this endeavour, I intend to have a piano located on the promenade, so that the music can be provided to all passers-by. I understand also that a 'costume' or 'disguise' of some sort is traditional, and you are welcome to so indulge provided it will not hamper your performance.

It is desireable that this should help to boost station morale and lend a Euterpean grace to the 'Halloween' activities as they happen. If you concur, I shall make the necessary arrangements.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
Bach, Johann Sebastian - Toccata and Fugue in Dm, BWV 565
Beethoven, Ludwig van - Piano Sonata No. 8 in Cm "Pathetique"
Beethoven, Ludwig van - Piano Sonata No. 14 in C#m "Moonlight"
Boellman, Leon - Suite Gothique
Saint-Saëns, Camille de - Danse Macabre
Schubert, Franz - String Quartet No. 14 "Death and the Maiden"
Tartini, Giuseppe - Violin Sonata in Gm "Devil's Trill"
6 Likes
TO CMDR Caspius
FROM LCDR Sedai
SUBJ Re: Solo and Duet Works for 'Halloween'

Good afternoon, Commander.

I appreciate your kind words, sir. Your suggestion of a Halloween holiday concert on the day of sounds like a worthwhile venture to me, so I'm glad to participate. I will take some time to consider if there are any selections that I would prefer to replace or add, but on that subject, I did want to inquire: would you be averse to adding significantly more contemporary selections to the list?

Likewise, I would like to know if you personally plan to be in costume for the duration of the concert. While I would like to partake in the tradition myself, I think for the sake of not being an undue distraction, I will not dress up if you choose not to. Please let me know so I may plan accordingly.

//SIGNED//
LCDR Sedai, Katriel
DS13 Counseling
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93756.8
Security Level 1
TO LCDR Sedai
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. Solo and Duet Works for 'Halloween'
4OB3P0J.png

LCDR Sedai,

You may choose to add pieces that you believe suitable to the mood: that is, they should possess a sense of the funereal, the macabre, or even the faintly daemonic. The relative dates of their compositions is immaterial and you may therefore indulge yourself as you see fit. The selections I offered are representative of my own experiences on Earth, under my father's musical tutelage, which was formative in the construction of my interests. My parents share a passion for ancient Earth music.

I have been researching traditional costumes and have selected one which I intend to wear. However, I will need to replicate a 'magical implement' in order to complete the ensemble.

Finally, lest it be thought that I have been emotionally compromised, I assure you that my words were a fair evaluation of your musical accomplishments, and not intended as an emotional kindness.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93857.9
Security Level 1
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
SUBJ. DS-13 Chamber Players Programme (Dec. 2416)
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Our 'Halloween'-themed special performance and November programme were satisfactory--I go so far as to say very satisfactory. With the approach of another Terran holiday ('Christmas') much appreciated by the station commander, I have decided once again to select some appropriately-themed and festive selections to round out our programme.

Consequent to this, I have been forced to drop our abridgement of The Ascent of Reason by T'nara of Vulcan. I understand that this may prove disappointing to the ensemble, but we will revisit the piece at a later date, hopefully at a time when we can perform it in its entirety (with the assistance of several spaciously-placed intermissions).

The entire first half of our programme will be comprised of an arrangement of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, which I have adapted from the String Quartet edition. You will note that several of our arrangements in this performance have likewise been adapted from String Quartet to Piano Quartet. The Nutcracker Suite fell out of favour soon after its publication, but gained considerable interest in the mid-twentieth century. It remains popularly associated with the 'Christmas' period of time on Earth.

The second half of our program is a selection of shorter pieces designed to mirror the structure of the Nutcracker Suite's short movements. A pair of duets for piano and cello will see LCDR Sedai and CRW Bozai on stage for a traditional 'Christmas' hymn (O Holy Night) followed by, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", a song of friendship and generous well-wishing (two attitudes associated closely with the holiday).

When the quartet returns in full to the stage, a piece of light music (Sleigh Ride) will be followed by a more solemn hymn (O Holy Night). Then, LCDR Sedai will remain on stage in a non-performing role whilst the strings perform an energetic trio version of the Ukranian Bell Carol. We will then be ready to conclude the performance with our final piece.

Appearing once again on the programme is Howard Blake's "Walking in the Air" from The Snowman. A return of this piece has been requested several times by audience members in the intervening months since we last performed it. We can now oblige those requests with a piano quartet arrangement that I have created for our ensemble. Moreover, I have made arrangements to have the relevant scene from The Snowman projected onto the wall behind the ensemble as we perform the piece. This spectacle will close out our performance as it should occasion a considerable degree of approbation from the audience.

It was not easy to select from the vast library of 'Christmas'-related music in the Terran database, especially operating within the time constraints of two thirty-minute segments. However, I encourage all DS-13 Chamber Players members to consider performing individually or in pairs on the promenade or in other approved, communal areas during the holiday season. I will be available should you have any suggestions in this regard.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
'Christmas' Program, 2416
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich - The Nutcracker Suite (arr. for Piano Quartet), Opus 71a:
I. Miniature Overture
II.a March
II.b Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy
II.c Russian Dance
II.d Arabian Dance
II.e Chinese Dance
II.f Reed Flutes
III. Waltz of the Flowers
Intermission
Traditional - Veni, Veni, Emmanual (arr. for Piano and Cello)
Martin, Hugh and Ralph Blane - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (arr. for Piano and Cello)
Anderson, Leroy - Sleigh Ride (arr. for Piano Quartet)
Traditional - O Holy Night (arr. for Piano Quartet)
Traditional - Ukranian Bell Carol (arr. for String Trio)
Blake, Howard - "Walking in the Air" (arr. for Piano Quartet)
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93889.7
Security Level 1: Open
TO LCDR J. Kermit
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander J. Kermit,

You are invited to audition for a position as cellist in the DS-13 Chamber Players ensemble.

Please contact me to schedule your audition, should you choose to accept this invitation.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93975.5
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

I have been given to understand that the 'Christmas' themed concert was well received by the personnel and civilian population of the station, and visitors. In particular, the Human guests at the concert exhibited evidence of particular gratification.

Although the actual 'Christmas' operation has not yet come to pass, we must nevertheless turn our collective attention to our next concert. To this end, I have prepared the following repertoire which returns us to the somewhat lighter, non-holiday themed programmes which preceded operations 'Christmas' and 'Halloween'.

We will open with a duet performed by LCDR Sedai and LT Capello, the Sonata for Violin and Piano in Bb, Op. 36, which establishes our tonal theme for the evening in the key of Bb. This piece comes from the Human Romantic period of musical development, and is emotively resonant. Not only have I selected it because it exhibits some characteristics of the performers (a key factor in my decisions for this programme), but also that it should prove engaging to the audience.

Our solo piece follows--and for this performance the solo duty falls to me. Harmonising into the relative minor for this piece, I will be performing the Baroque-era Violin Sonata No. 1 in Gm, BWV 1001 of J. S. Bach, a most logically agreeable contrapuntal composition (and hence suitable to represent me), but also a demonstration of solo Violin polyphony, and of precision and expertise as much of the composer as the performer.

Returning to our major key, we will conclude with the ensemble piece, the Piano Quartet in Bb, Op. 8 of Carl Maria von Weber, a Classical piece which stands between the two periods aforementioned, and so bridges and unifies them together into one successful whole--something which should represent not only a resolution of the harmonic shift to the minor, but also suggest to the thoughtful listener the success through unity of our own particular personalities and skills.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
Vieuxtemps, Henri - Sonata for Viola and Piano in Bb, Op. 36
Bach, J. S. - Violin Sonata No. 1 in Gm, BWV 1001
Weber, Carl Maria von - Piano Quartet in Bb, Op. 8
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94065.3
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Are reviewing the recording of our last performance, I have concluded that the performance itself was satisfactory, despite the reduction in audience attendance following the performance prior to that. I believe the change in attendance numbers has more to do with the festival setting of that earlier performance--largely comprised of music selected in the spirit of Operation: Christmas--than any deficiency on the part of the performers or in the selections of the latter.

Although it will be several months until we prepare another festival-style selection (that in April for the upcoming Operation: Easter, about which you may expect details in a future communique), I have tried to take into account audience interest in light music, so that this and all future programmes will include at least one such selection. It is reasonable to consider the interests of a diverse listening population insofar as those efforts do not divert the actual function and purpose of the ensemble's own direction and focus.

The programme will begin by revisiting my performance of Scarborough Fair from several months ago. It was a well-received piece, and I will this time perform it on the Violin proper, with the assistance of LCDR Sedai on the piano. This is our 'light music' for the programme, and will hopefully warm the audience to the pieces which follow, including LT Capello's feature, this month, of Glinka's Viola Sonata in D-minor. The work is unfinished, and therefore limited to the first two completed movements, but it is of exceptional quality, nevertheless. Following his solo, there will be a short intermission.

When we return, LT Capello and CRW Bozai will reengage the attention of the audience with a haunting performance of Shostakovich's Prelude, Op. 97d, originally for two violins but, in this arrangement, for viola and cello. The rest of the ensemble will then return to the stage and perform our full ensemble piece: Charles Villiers Stanford's Piano Quartet No. 2 in C-minor, a work of considerable passion and intensity, I think you will agree. It should bring the audience to their feet and, presumably, result in a desire to return for future performances.

I will see you at our practise session on Friday. A reminder to CRW Bozai: practise begins on the hour, not at some undetermined time shortly thereafter.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
Scarborough Fair (arr. C.Adomeit).
Glinka, Mikhail. Viola Sonata in Dm, G.iv3
Shostakovich, Dmitri. Prelude for Two Violins and Piano, Op. 97d (arr. for Viola and Cello).
Stanford, Charles Villiers. Piano Quartet No. 2 in Cm, Op. 133
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94098.0
CC M.Yamashita (U.S.S. Solkar)
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

You may been aware that the Terran-Vulcan Symphony Orchestra will be travelling through the vicinity this month as part of their 2418 season tour of several nearby systems. If so, then you are likely familiar with the history of the TVSO: one of the first and most successful cooperative Terran-Vulcan enterprises, its membership is no longer exclusively confined to Terrans and Vulcans, although those remain the primary races involved. The name persists because their repertoire specifically includes Terran and Vulcan symphonic and chamber works.

I have a degree of sway with the director, Michiru Yamashita, and have persuaded her to stop briefly on the station and to offer a performance for the benefit of this sector. Because of the limited planning time, the performance will be more of a community event than the formal affairs typical of the TVSO in performance. I will be making arrangements necessary to ensure that this visit is widely publicised. In fact, I believe it is the first time a professional symphony has performed on this station.

Maestro Yamashita suggested that their schedule might align with our own musical enterprise, planned for Stardate 94166.7. To this end, she has offered to unite our performances so that the burden on the orchestra is not unnecessarily large for a performance at short notice, and to include us--a generous proposition in the extreme--in their programme. I need hardly add that such an inclusion is an historic opportunity, and that it should be recognised as such.

I have agreed to Maestro Yamashita's offer. Note that our ensemble will only perform during the first half of the programme. After the intermission, the TVSO will perform in full. The programme is as follows:

1. Crain, Brian. Four pieces for Violin and Piano: "Dream of Dreams", "Time Forgotten", "Solitary Hill", and "Rain".
2. Faure, Gabriel. Piano Quartet No. 2 in Gm, Op. 45.
Intermission
3. Prokofiev, Sergei. Symphony No. 5 in Bb, Op. 100.

Given the demands of the Faure work, I have chosen a selection of short piano-and-violin duets in lieu of a particular solo this month. I believe that the duets will provide an excellent entry for the listener unfamiliar with symphonic and chamber works, leading into the very approachable Faure quartet. The Prokofiev after the intermission naturally follows with its highly emotive strains in the appropriate key of Bb to logically resolve the inclusion of the Gm Quartet.

It should go without saying that for this performance our very best work will be expected.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Crain, Brian. Works for Piano and Violin Duet.
- Faure, Gabriel. Piano Quartet No. 2 in Gm, op. 45.
- Prokofiev, Sergei. Symphony No. 5 in Bb, Op. 100.
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94189.0
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

I have received today a communication from Maestro Yamashita commending the DS-13 Chamber Players on their performance at last week's concert. This praise does not come lightly. Be therefore satisfied with a performance that exceeded expectations--both hers and mine.

For the forthcoming April performance, I have selected music of a fairly approachable sort, aware as I am that the performance by the Terran-Vulcan Symphony Orchestra has established a recent standard for more challenging works in the repertoire which we are unlikely immediately to surpass. Henceforth, we may consider this next a 'light' performance of a slightly less formal attitude than is otherwise customary. Note that the dress code has not been relaxed.

We will begin with a piece of Terran folk music written by Jay Ungar, the "Ashokan Farewell," arranged for a trio consisting of Violin, Cello, and Piano. Thereafter, CRW Bozai will take the stage and perform the Vaughan Williams studies in English Folk Song. We will then have a short intermission.

After the break, all except for CRW Bozai will return to the stage to perform the Mendelssohn Piano Trio in C-minor. CRW Bozai will rejoin us for a special finale, at the end of which I have inserted a 'surprise' which should satisfy the audience. I have selected a standard quartet arrangement of the traditional piece "Star of the County Down", arranged for our piano quartet. This piece in 3/4 is usually taken at roughtly 90bpm, as we will perform it. However, upon its conclusion, we will deploy the operational 'surprise': I will stand for a vigorous duet arrangement with Counselor Sedai in 6/8 at around 180-200bpm, which should yield a satisfactory result for the audience.

A final note: please be advised that skants do not constitute 'formal wear'.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Ungar, Jay. "Ashokan Farewell" (arr. for Piano Trio).
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph. "Six Studies in English Folk Song" (arr. for Viola and Piano).
- Mendelssohn, Felix. "Piano Trio in Cm (1820)."
- Trad. "Star of the County Down" (arr. for Piano Quartet).
- Trad. "Star of the County Down" (arr. for Violin and Piano).
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94333.0
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

As we prepare for this week's May performance, I am sending you the original quintet score, as discussed during our last rehearsal. Koechlin's original score called for piano and four strings rather than three, but our arrangement (by the 24th-century Vulcan contrapuntalist T'vann) renders the work for performance by a quartet, albeit with reductions in some places and an increase in difficulty for the performers in others.

Peruse the attached original score and consider how it may inform your performance, as this piece alone makes up the entirety of this month's concert.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Koechlin, Charles. "Quintet for Piano and Strings, Op. 80."
2 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 1 - Open

TO CMDR Caspius
CC --
FROM LCDR J. Kermit

SUBJ RE: DS-13 Chamber Players
4OB3P0J.png

Commander Caspius,

I recently overheard a crewman discussing an upcoming concert, and was reminded of a message that was unfortunately lost in my spam folder.

If the invitation is still valid, I'd like to submit my audition for the DS-13 Chamber Players ensemble. I understand that the May performance is less than a week away, so for efficiency's sake, I took the liberty of recording my audition in the holodeck for your review. The attached file is configurable for audio-only playback, as well as full holo-playback. I've also ensured that my track is separate from the holographic accompaniment, so that you can isolate my performance for assessment.

I trust that you'll find my rendition satisfactory, and I hope to hear from you with your approval and the details of the upcoming concert so that I can get started practicing the exact arrangement we'll be performing.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant Commander James Kermit
Assistant Chief of Operations, DS13

//ATTACHMENT// Koechlin, Charles. Quintet No. 1 for Strings and Piano, Op. 80: "L'attente obscure de ce qui sera..."

--

Spoiler: Previous Message on Stardate 93889.7:Show
wrote:
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 93889.7
TO LCDR J. Kermit
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander J. Kermit,

You are invited to audition for a position as cellist in the DS-13 Chamber Players ensemble.

Please contact me to schedule your audition, should you choose to accept this invitation.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94333.3
TO LCDR J.Kermit
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Lieutenant Commander Kermit,

The invitation to audition is still valid. As such, I have evaluated your holorecording and ajudge it satisfactory for participation in the DS-13 Chamber Players.

Our current cellist, Crewman Bozai, is awaiting transfer to the U.S.S. Churchill, so your timing is agreeable.

Although I have not formally made the announcement, next month's performance will include an arrangement for quintet of Arvo Pärt's "Trisagion", which I attach for your preparation.

Note also that monthly performances require formal wear (a tuxedo and white tie) and proper dress etiquette, and that prompt attendance and attention throughout is required at practises.

I expect that you will be a welcome addition to the DS-13 Chamber Players.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Pärt, Arvo. "Trisagion."
5 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94333.3
CC LCDR J.Kermit
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Crewman Bozai's application for transfer to the U.S.S. Churchill has been approved, and he will be departing our membership this weekend. I am certain that his participation will be remembered.

Coincidentally, Lieutenant Commander James Kermit has successfully auditioned for the position of cellist, in response to an invitation sent some time ago. He will therefore be taking Crewman Bozai's chair beginning with our first practise session next week. A full programme will be sent in due course, but we will be performing (amongst other works) an arrangement of Arvo Pärt's "Trisagion", the which is attached for your review.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Pärt, Arvo. "Trisagion."
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94424.8
TO LCDR Sedai, LCDR J.Kermit, LT Capello
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

Following last week's surprisingly adequate performance, I am sending this communique to provide the customary programme for the next month's performance. However, I should like to take a moment to mention some issues that have lately arisen with preparation for our weekly practise sessions.

Failure properly to prepare for the practise sessions (e.g. by arriving on time and being ready to perform to the standard expected) diminishes the entire ensemble's ability effectively to utilise the limited time available in our weekly practise sessions. Moreover, it is disrespectful to the others present to thus command a significant portion of the practise session in addressing individual issues which should be eliminated in the course of ordinary individual practise. Such a situation affords the entire ensemble less time to practise as an ensemble, and less time to address concerns specific to the ensemble performing as a group.

Ultimately, membership of this ensemble is a privilege. Whilst it is not a privilege that I should like to withdraw, that option nevertheless remains open should a member's attitude or performance level fail to reach a level adequate to ensure the continued performance quality of the ensemble or, worse still, actively detract from the ensemble's collective performance.

It is my intention that this statement will resolve this matter, and that I will not need to raise the issue again. Therefore, with regard to our next programme, our theme is 'the forms of passion'.

Solo duty will fall to Lieutenant Commander James Kermit, who will perform the Brahms Cello Sonata No. 1 with Lieutenant Commander Sedai accompanying him. Although this is entitled a Cello sonata, it is (appropriately for our theme) in many ways a duet, with the piano having considerable melodic scope.

Our full ensemble piece will be the Bartok Piano Quartet in C-minor--a piece with immense emotional range. And, we will give Commander Kermit a break with a short trio arrangement of Piazzolla's Oblivion, which should delight the audience, whilst meeting the most conventional expectations of musical 'passion'.

I will see you all for our usual practise session on Friday, at 20:00, in Holodeck 3. Recall that our practise begins at 20:00, so arrive earlier if you require several minutes to prepare.

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Bartok, Bela. "Piano Quartet in Cm, Op. 20, Mvmt. I".
- Bartok, Bela. "Piano Quartet in Cm, Op. 20, Mvmt. II".
- Bartok, Bela. "Piano Quartet in Cm, Op. 20, Mvmt. III".
- Bartok, Bela. "Piano Quartet in Cm, Op. 20, Mvmt. IV".
- Brahms, Johannes. "Cello Sonata No. 1 in Em, Op. 38".
- Piazzolla, Astor. "Oblivion" (arr. for Violin, Viola, and Piano).
4 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 94631.8
TO LCDR Sedai, LCDR J.Kermit, LT Capello
CC --
FROM CMDR Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

DS-13 Chamber Players,

I trust that you have not allowed your practise to go untended during the recent general shore leave. If you have done, now would be a good time to redouble your efforts so as to be ready for next month's performance.

After some consideration, I have selected relatively less demanding, 'lighter' selections for the September performance. Although there is an obvious condescension being made in regards to your ability to practise during the recent leave time, I believe that the intention is also thematically appropriate: with the suspension of Hur'q hostilities and many individuals feeling reluctant to say goodbye to the tropical environment of Risa, a lighter touch seems appropriate.

We will begin with an ensemble performance of Ludovico Einaudi's "Run", an early twenty-first century composition. Although not a technically demanding work, it should help to establish the theme of the performance, at once reflective, delicate, and a trifle wistful (this last I satisfy myself will be emotionally resonant for those who have returned from leave).

LT Capello's solo is the seventh Viola fantasia of Telemann. I believe he may already be familiar with the work as it is an established part of viola repertoire. The Telemann piece should develop the instinctual passions and reflectivity of the first piece, and allow for a period of deeper, more sublime thought inspired by more noble sentiments. This will bring us to intermission.

Following intermission, we will perform as a Trio (LT Capello having earned a rest) with the somewhat more abstract Gunning "Piano Trio". This work is light, but even less concrete than the Telemann, but will set us up for a revisiting of the passions with our final piece.

The ensemble will then conclude with a trio setting of Piazzolla's "Verano porteno" from The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires. The Piazzolla piece from our last performance was extremely well-received, and as we are attempting to capture a summer theme, I believe this selection is a good alternative to the perhaps too-familiar Vivaldi concerto (and easier to perform in a piano quartet withal). It should 'bring down the house'--in this case a colloqual saying, not a literal instruction.

A reminder that although the Piazzolla pieces are condusive to dancing, this should not be taken as an invitation to wear sequined dress. Please adhere to the dress code detailed in your "Welcome to the DS-13 Chamber Players!" packet (see section 3C for the dress code; note also that appendix 2 paragraph 19 covers relevant exceptions).

//SIGNED//
Commander Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
- Einaudi, Ludovico. "Run" from In a Time Lapse.
- Gunning, Christopher. "Piano Trio, Mvmt. I - Au Jardin de Maurice."
- Gunning, Christopher. "Piano Trio, Mvmt. II - Walking with Alan."
- Gunning, Christopher. "Piano Trio, Mvmt. III - Faded Photographs, Poignant Memories."
- Gunning, Christopher. "Piano Trio, Mvmt. IV - A Family Argument."
- Piazzolla, Astor. "Verano porteno (Summer)" from The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires.
- Telemann, Georg Philip. "Fantasia No. 7 for Solo Viola."
4 Likes