Stardate 95142.2
Security Level 3: Restricted
TO VADM Amiri
CC RDML Konieczko
FROM CAPT Caspius
SUBJ. DS-13 Personnel Numbers
4OB3P0J.png

Sir,

Per your request, I have prepared a series of figures related to civilian and personnel on Deep Space 13.

Prior to the Azedi attack upon Deep Space 13, our total population of permanent residents was 54,730. Our current population of permanent residents is 4,744. This represents a change of -49,986 (-91.33%). Note that the station's maximum capacity (with standard habitation assignments) is 76,950, and the station's emergency capacity (with emergency habitation assignments) is 256,500. The changes in personnel levels are further detailed below:

ASSIGNED PERSONNEL: prior 35,000 / now 4,313 / change -30,687 (-87.68%)
Breakdown by Department:
Command: prior 200 / now 150 / change -50 (-25%)
Operations: prior 10,000 / now 412 / change -9,588 (-95.88%)
Tactical: prior 600 / now 88 / change -512 (-85.33%)
Security: prior 2,000 / now 485 / change -1,515 (-75.75%)
Intelligence: prior 40 / now 35 / change -5 (-12.5%)
Engineering: prior 15,260 / now 2,000 / change -13,260 (-86.89%)
Science: prior 4,000 / now 183 / change -3,817 (-95.43%)
Medical: prior 2,700 / now 800 / change -1,900 (-70.37%)
Counseling: prior 200 / now 160 / change -40 (-20%)

RESIDENTS AND EMPLOYEES: prior 19,730 / now 431 / change -19,299 (-97.82%)
Breakdown by Type:
Residents (Civilians and Non-Starbase Fleet Personnel): prior 17,243 / now 431 / change -16,812 (-97.50%)
Employees (Independent Civilian Contractors): prior 2,487 / now 0 / change -2,487 (-100%)

Conclusions: Deep Space 13 is built to comfortably support up to 76,950 inhabitants as needed. Prior to the attack, the station was at 71% of that figure. It is currently down to merely 6% despite the fact that the military situation in the sector has made Deep Space 13's operational value more, not less, important. That the staffing situation is unworkable beyond the immediate short-term ought not require additional explanation. The stark figures above speak for themselves.

Consequently, whilst staffing levels remain at the extremely low figures of this present time, I do not see how the station can possibly operate securely if the intention is to reopen the station fully to civilians, especially if the civilian populace approaches anything like its previous numbers. Unless I instruct the Security Department to form press gangs to round up and impress able-bodied civilians into compulsory Starfleet service, I will not have the numbers of personnel needed to address the manifold issues related to a high civilian population in addition to the bare minimum operational expectations of the starbase with regard to providing support for a standing fleet of nearly one hundred active starships (to say nothing of service for Starfleet ships beyond those in this fleet).

With that said, my projections are that, after an initial surge in returns comprised mainly of business-dealing civilians and independent contractors (an estimated 3,000-3,500 people), growth will increase slowly over time, levelling off only as a result of another morale-negative event, such as an attack, or due to a too-high ratio of civilians to starfleet personnel. Projections follow:

Civilian and employee population projections based on Low / Medium / High rates of growth:
Stardate 95413: 3,150 / 4,063 / 5,250
Stardate 95666: 3,370 / 5,119 / 8,006
Stardate 95915: 3,640 / 6,500 / 12,410
Stardate 96161: 4,004 / 8,321 / 19,545

As indicated above, if population tracks according to my high-end projections, the starbase could approach pre-attack civilian and employee levels in as little as one year's time. According to my low-end growth projections, that population figure would be reached in just over three years, instead. These figures do not predict for growth thresholds related to population ratio, or caused by unpredictable events such as yearly disruptions to starbase life or habitability.

In order to track ahead of the civilian population to avoid reaching the aforementioned threshholds (which would quickly become necessarily institutional and formalised, likely in the form of a restriction on new arrivals, or a waiting list for residency), starbase personnel population should grow at least 5% ahead of median expected civilian and emplyee growth per quarter, with such projections continually updated and modeled according to current data on hand. At present, because the initial surge and growth levels have a high margin of error due to minimal data, the projections above may magnify those margins, and may track far above or below the levels actually experienced by stardate 96161. However, by stardate 95413, enough data should be available to significantly reduce the expected margin of error above (subject to the same caveats related to unexpected events and population threshholds).

Recommendations: Staffing levels should be immediately increased, with priority targetting of departments which are below the previous ratio of personnel to command: i.e. those which have experienced the greatest reductions beyond -25% of their personnel (Command-level being used as the 'baseline' reduction), with prioritisation within cohorts of new arrivals favouring personnel critical to station Operations and Security. Upon completion of this process, starbase personnel will be at 75% of pre-attack levels, with each department having been reduced by 25%. Based on the high-end population growth figures above, it is recommended at this time that the target personnel levels be reached by stardate 95915, such recommendation subject to emendation as new projections become available commensurate with new data.

Logistical details, such as the exact number of personnel and frequency of their arrivals, would require considerable investment of time and resources to calculate, and is contingent upon approval of this proposal; therefore, they are deferred until such time as the above recommendations receive approval, at which time logistical proposals can be formulated with the consultation of the station's Operations department, and submitted to Fleet Command for consultation and review.

If you wish to discuss these matters further, you need not hesitate to inform me.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
Starbase Commander, Deep Space 13
11 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO CAPT Caspius
CC --
FROM CMDR Kermit

SUBJ DS13 Crew Complement
4OB3P0J.png

Captain,

As we discussed, I've prepared a report on my recommended crew breakdown for a total complement of 10,500. It is my estimation that this is the minimum number of personnel with which we can sustain normal operations, support fleet logistics, and open for civilian traffic.

DEPARTMENT
TARGET
% OF
TOTAL
% OF
PREVIOUS
Command
1.4%
50%
Operations
Tactical
23.8%
3.3%
25%
58%
Security
9.5%
50%
Intelligence
0.4%
100%
Engineering
33.3%
23%
Science
14.3%
38%
Medical
12.4%
48%
Counseling
1.5%
80%

By establishing these target numbers, we can allow departments to ramp up to their short-term capacity at variable rates depending on personnel availability and expediency of transfers aboard. By releasing these figures immediately, we will be giving our new department heads the opportunity to plan their organizational and short-term goals around the level of staffing they can expect to have available within a matter of weeks.

//SIGNED//
Commander James Kermit
Executive Officer, DS13
7 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95157.6
TO CMDR Kermit
CC RANK Name
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Commander,

This is fine work; I concur with your recommendations in whole. I note with particular satisfaction the increase in Science personnel numbers, the which I consider essential to the central purpose of our mission.

I remain concerned about the stress on Operations, especially if civilian repopulation tracks along the upper end of projections. However, should that transpire, we can shift the balance of incoming personnel to target Operations and Security. As a rule, I try to plan such that I avoid being put into situations where my only option is to react, but in this situation it may not be possible to prepare for every eventuality.

I will despatch these figures to the Admiral at once so that he can begin making whatever requests are necessary in order to requisition the necessary personnel.

When LCDR Sakkhet and the skeleton crew for Atlantis have been notified of (and when they have completed preparations for) their upcoming mission, please see that I am notified.

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Stardate 95157.6
TO VADM Amiri
CC RDML Konieczko
FROM CAPT Caspius
4OB3P0J.png

Admiral,

See attached the communique from CMDR Kermit, regarding the personnel numbers that he has put together based upon our request for a total of 10,500 personnel including those 4,316 already on base (that is, to reach 30% of pre-evacuation levels).

//SIGNED//
Captain Caspius

//ATTACHMENTS//
CMDR Kermit, James. "DS-13 Personnel Numbers." Stardate 95157.5.
3 Likes
BH1Pd8X.png
Security Level 3 - Restricted

TO CAPT Caspius
CC RDML Konieczko
FROM VADM Amiri

SUBJ Personnel Numbers

Captain,

I've spoken with Starfleet Headquarters on the topic and have positive news to report back. As discussed intelligence and security will be the first to reach the numbers outlined by Commander Kermit. That will be occurring by weeks end. Further, two large vessels were due to be decommissioned in several months. That process is being accelerated to two and three weeks respectively. Normally the crew of these ships would be dispersed, but we're transferring them whole to Deep Space 13. The crew of those ships is being reduced in steps starting now. This coupled with priority transfers mean we will meet our target in three weeks time, no later than stardate 95214.8. Atlantis will need to make several trips to Sol to ferry the new crew to Deep Space 13. I've attached orders that yourself or your XO can pass to the ship's CO.

Once we reach the numbers outlined in the table you are free to proceed to whatever staffing levels you deem appropriate to ensure smooth and continued operation of the base. We'll have a steady stream of transfers for every department, but the process will still take months, if not several years.

//SIGNED//
Vice Admiral Enzian Amiri
Commanding Officer, 38th Fleet

//ATTACHMENT// Atlantis Orders
4 Likes