Fleetswept - (Collection of Short Stories)

GAYlscA.jpg

STARDATE: 91128.7 - ROUGHLY 7 MONTHS AGO

CpPtpXt.jpg

"... And don't even bother asking why, I've no idea myself. To be honest they keep themselves to themselves and clam up around me. But that's the way it is, I suppose." the voice pauses, Coby's demeanour hardly any different from usual, despite his responsibilities. It'd been roughly two weeks since his departure from Deep Space Thirteen. Not an easy one, regardless, but one he'd come to terms with. His current temporary assignment taking him out of his comfort zone, a lot closer towards the front lines... wherever they lay now-a-days. "It wont be long now until I'm due to head back towards K-7, which as you can probably guess..." his voice deadpan "... I really can't wait for."

"They're probably jus' gettin' used t' you." replied the Andorian, her eyes watched the screen carefully, almost studying Morton's features "... s'dun worry too much about 'et. Ah'll make sure to get ye' a few samples from the ground, buy ah' cannae promise they'll be the best floral supplements for ye' collection. One o' tha' downsides of not being able to grab 'em yourself, eh?" her mouth curled into a faint smirk, she knew he'd prefer to be able to collect any samples himself. Though it'd been a while since he'd had to take care of the Argo's plant life, he still kept the hobby as something to pass the time with in the Delta Quadrant.

"Uh'huh. More importantly, see to it the ship survives until it's refit. Allegro didn't keep those engines intact just to have you throttle them out of alignment, Captain."

"O' course sir, she'll live long enough t' get her new wings." she pauses "... an' don't you go swaying around swanky titles like you're the big shot, ah've been Captain o' this ship more than you." her smirk curled into an evil grin, though as she stared at the screen it slowly faded away. She swallowed. "Though we do miss ye'."

They both knew the others limits, and both appreciated the humour in her words, but deep down it still stung him. "I'm sure you do, Athini~! Who wouldn't, I'm great - Just stay safe out there, it concerned me not knowing what to expect when I was your side, I never imagined I'd be more worried sitting on the other end. Morton out."

The display quickly rotated to an almost blank screen - TRANSMISSION TERMINATED being all that remained from the subspace conversation. The Andorian Captain leant back into her chair, a short sigh escaping through her slightly parted lips. The ready room around her was a mess, PADD's laid on as many surfaces as the eye could spot, with the odd jacket and coat sprawled over the recently-emptied plant pots. The only space that remained clear of clutter was a sofa and it's surrounding area. She had to remind herself that she'd only just recently awoken, never mind the fact she'd only just come on duty. With a sudden mental kick-to-the-face, she forced herself up and out of the chair, making steady pace towards the ready rooms entrance and stepping onto the bridge.

"Captain ON DECK~!" called a chirpy young Ensign, sitting excitedly at the helm. Athini was still getting used to the adoption of the Federation's new standard uniform, a little uncomfortable not seeing the October's personal style everywhere. She watched as her Klingon XO stood in the centre of the Odyssey Class's bridge and stared out the Ensign. Athini herself turning to focus on him.

"Laddie... ye' dunnae' have t' do that everytime ah' walk out o' mah' office. Keep ye' energy stored so ye' don't scratch m'ship."

"Right, sorry sir. I didn't mean any harm." The Ensign was a recent transfer from the Okinga, a small transport vessel with a Captain known for his formalities. Athini had met the Captain once in one of the recreational area's aboard K-7, it's known it only took her a few moments to decide she detested the man. A fact she had made clear to him. Bluntly. She'd noted the Lieutenants short hair and his rather tight face, she forced herself from a smirk as she was instantly reminded of the Okinga Captain's face following a soft uppercut. Her reprimands came from somewhere, and were something she'd had to fight against in getting Command to let her take Coby's ship more formally.

"No need to apologise laddie, ah'm jus' sayin' for future reference." sending a wink the Ensigns way, she soon continued across towards the centre of the bridge, taking position beside the Klingon just infront of her chair. "Mr. Klak'ton, status report."

"We're preparing to disembark from dry dock, Captain. We'll be ready for your command in mere moments." The Klingon was, as you can expect, gruff. His shoulders bolder than vintage Earth wrestlers. His goatee being the only thing to bring his butch-ness down in Athini's eyes.

"Understood Commander, ah' want ye' to make sure Mr. Allegro's modifications t' tha' warp reactor are running as expected before we leave the berth."

"Aye, Captain."

"An' for tha' love o' tha' ship, stop shaving, you're a Klingon." she waved a hand over her should as she turned towards her seat, plumping down into it's padded backrest. She waited for a moment as the Klingon walked to the side and contacted engineering. Her focus soon returning to the viewscreen and then onto the yeoman crawling up slowly on her left with several PADD's. She sighed internally, it's going to be a long morning, she thought to herself.

"Good morning, Captain Aeregon. Here's a list of the transfers aboard ship... here's the list of those disembarking at Jupiter Station... the Engineering corps weren't too impressed with your report on the Shield Harmonics, Captain, they've requested you resubmit... and your schedule for today prior to our arrival."

"Thanks..." replied Athini, her tone was perhaps a little too-sarcastic for the Vulcan woman, who merely raised an eyebrow and wandered off in the direction she'd come from.

"We're all set, Captain." The Klingon called from across the bridges side railing.

Athini nodded in return, coming to a sudden stand. "Helm, take us out, quarter impulse."

The Ensign at the helm responded only with a few key taps on the helm. The whale of a ship slowly chugged out of the over-sized dry dock. It wasn't a rare occasion that October would scare the odd worker bee pilot not paying close attention to the docking traffic, but fortunately the slipway seemed clear and the ship prowled forward. "We're... clearing the berth, Captain... and we're out." the Odyssey class ship was clear of the Federation claws, Athini feeling a weight off her shoulders as they entered open space.

"Nice work~! Now then, setta' course for New Romulus... Warp 5, at ye' leisure."

13 Likes
xkqcoLN.jpg

STARDATE: 91877.9
PART ONE

Coby had slowly begun to reacclimatise to Deep Space Thirteen. Since returning, he'd had limited contact with officers of the Fleet - in fact, the majority of his time spent aboard station is usually within the company of the stations Executive Officer, Altais. He wasn't sure what it was, but he felt like a stranger everywhere he was present. Aboard ship he was adjusting to a new crew, one that had already for the most part been through so much together. He understood that feeling, the bond with his previous vessel commands, including DS13, the feeling of comfort and trust. He'd forgotten quite what it was like being a... ... and that was the problem. He didn't know how to phrase it. He knew he'd become too soft over the past few years, but didn't feel right changing his whole demeanour to suit the needs of his new ship. Maybe that was the problem, he didn't quite know where he fit in. Maybe deep down he was just being selfish, improper conduct of an officer in his position. In any case, he held comfort in the fact he still held his job and title - something he most certainly cherished.

Coby's mind continued to buzz around these thoughts, recently they'd begun to get to him just a little, but following some fun within the Fleet Captains office (with one Captain Altais present, as well as some Intelligence chick accomplice he vaguely remembered from an engineering briefing a few months back) he'd thrown everything aside. It wasn't too long before he noticed he'd reached the bottom of the ramp allowing access to the cantina and promenade briefing room. As per usual, he took a few moments to inspect the promenade and to his surprise it seemed quiet, hardly an officer or enlisted crewmen around other than the odd scuttle towards the turbolift. He thought about exhaling a sigh, but couldn't be bothered; instead deciding to resume his path up the ramp and entering the cantina floor. As he approached the bar itself, his hands wizzed around his 38th Fleet overcoat - quickly beginning to unfold his related appendages from the sleeves and chucking the limp piece of fabrics over the counter. He'd much preferred to have been wearing his jacket variant, but often found himself wearing the longer coat when heading staff meetings aboard the Oswestry. It only took a quick glance towards the messily folded coat before he'd already corrected it's position into a much neater and flat resting position. Perhaps it was the sound of the Captains feet, or perhaps just the noise of Coby folding his jacket, that alerted the Ferengi and caused him to appear out from the other side of the bar.

"Ev- uh, mornin' Swift~!" Coby chirped, sending a quick glance around the cantina before adding "... certainly a quiet morning? Is... wait. Ohgodno. Am I meant to be somewhere? I've missed another variety showcase haven't I. Nono, let me guess.... um... I've missed a serious briefing on-" the Captain stopped as the Ferengi merely rolled his eyes, sending a sharp nod towards the chronometer behind the bar and the stations current rotation hour. It didn't match quite as much with Coby's own as he thought it did "... ah. Surely the current rotation should have quite a workload though?"

The Ferengi just shrugged.

"Probably just... a quiet day, eh... can never time things right." as his sentence finished, the Ferengi begun to move towards a pink vial on the middle shelf as well as collecting a small glass. Quietly placing the objects in front of the Captain and then offering a short, and still quite sharp, nod. Disappearing back around the bars central column. Another glance around didn't help, it revealed only an enlisted crewmen stepping over to inspect the nearest replicator and soon walking away.

A half hour soon past, Coby was pouring the last of the pink milk into his glass when one of the ongoing announcements caught his attention.

"U.S.S. Sommerset docking, outgoing personnel are advised to alert the transportation officer of your departing luggage and items. General reminder to all personnel to adhere to strict luggage and transportation protocols." As the particular comm cut out, Coby's eyes had perked towards the viewing portion of the cantina. His eyes scanning for any familiar signs... but nothing caught his attention.

The Captain let the faintest of laughs escape from under his breath, soon adding ".... Ahah.... Miss Collingwood." in a similar volume, then raising his milkshake towards the glass "Hope you're doing okay out there, kiddo'." and then soon downing the fluffy beverage. He realized he was starting to talk to himself, Swifty appearing around the bar and sending him a raised brow, making his smile even wider but not quiet stifling out another chuckle. It'd been almost, if not even more than a year, since Coby had spoke with Lieutenant Commander Susan Collingwood, Chief Engineer of the U.S.S. Sommerset. Within the span of the Iconian War and the rate at which ships had been pumped out, Coby begun to wonder if it was even the same Sommerset. But his smile soon faded, he began to recall the last time he did speak with Collingwood, she'd spoken of no longer being assigned to the ship.

Coby's nose twitched, his eyes moving down to his jacket and his hand soon grabbing the collar. Tucking it under his arm, the Captain began to make his way out of the silent lounge. "Thanks for the drink as always, Swift." he called, from over his shoulder. Coby hadn't even clocked the fact he'd been drinking a replicated substitute.

8 Likes
PgsKxKi.jpg

STARDATE: 91878
PART TWO

S2E1Ysi.jpg

Coby had received just enough time to untangle himself from his duty overcoat following what could only have been an unsuccessful perception check, shoving his right arm into the left sleeve. As he approached the entrance into traffic control, his arms turned limp to avoid the strenuous task of zipping up his coat, both hands being shunted into a snug place in the corresponding pockets in his bottoms. The lethargic Captain's eyes roamed the entire room, not that it was that large, and hoping to see some form of a familiar face. The current officer of the watch stood sternly, eyeing Morton as he continued to stride forward.

"Commander Helstone is currently unavailable, Captain. If you have any concerns you wish to report or simply wish to speak to a senior operations officer, you may feel free so to direct your inquiry to me. Both Commander Helstone and Lieutenant Torvath will of course be forwarded your queries and will no doubt try their best to respond to you as soon as they are able." Spoke the Commander. His voice seemed to merge into one noise, Coby thought. It was a deep drone, but a gravel of age behind it - so he did his best to look respectful to the white shouldered man. Coby's eyes narrowed a fraction before speaking.

"Oh~! Nonono, that's quite alright Commander, it's nothing important. No need to bother Helstone or... well. Anyone really. Your help will be just fine!" Coby's neck craned just slightly, his words coming to a tiny pause "... I'm just wanting to know of the current whereabouts of an Officer of the fleet. I have the clear... ance. I hope. If so, it's not for any maniacal purposes, just wanting to send a gift their way before the season comes to an end, y'know?"

The officer of the watch's flat face brightened, a large smile forming on the gentleman's face before exhaling an almost pleased-sounding chuckle "... Why that's wonderful, Captain. I do wish more officers took the time and day to get the whereabouts of their fleetmates. I know a few have planned to leave parcels for when their recipients return to the station, but it's not quite the same, is it? Hahah! I'll certainly take a look on your behalf, Captain, it'll no doubt just be quicker. No offence."

"None taken." Morton retorted.

The officer of the watch had already turned around before he could spot Coby's carefully timed eye roll, he disagreed with the officers view on the season; knowing well enough that half the fleet take part in the festivities and enjoy giving gifts... but didn't, or couldn't be, bothered to raise the point. It really was just one of those days, he'd not felt right from the second he'd stepped out of his quarters. Hopefully as the day progresses and the station becomes more active things'll turn out for the better, so he hoped. Coby began to wonder whether it was even worth checking the fleet records. The gift wouldn't reach it's destination before the season comes to an end regardless, but the Commander in front of him had already gone to the trouble to bring up the system.

The Commander continued to type away on the holographic display, the Ensign before him had been monitoring station power consumption levels on the promenade replicators, specifically those around the cantina following an incident not too long ago - meaning the Commander had to make sure everything was nominal before continuing with Coby's unimportant request. "... might I ask, Captain, how you're settling in? I understand it it's a new vessel and crew to you."

Small talk. If there was one thing Coby hated, even with close friends, it was small talk. He just didn't see the point in it, it keeps conversations that should've died long ago going needlessly and creates an awkward moment towards the end when neither participant knows what else to say. Coby, at the same time as wanting to completely kill the conversation, felt he owed it to the current officer of the watch to humour him. "Aye', Commander! New shi- well, old ship, but new to me. The crew have been together for some time so I feel a little like I'm coming in and stepping on their toys as the evil stepfather. But other than that things are quiet 'swell." Morton awkwardly rocked forward and back on his heels, his boots squeaking as they rubbed along the floor.

As if a switch had suddenly been flipped, the Commander in front of Coby had reverted to his early state of neutralness. His reply being "Ah, I'm glad Captain." before turning to face Coby once again "... The name of the crewman you wish to locate please, sir."

"Ah! Eh..." Coby paused, but with the officer of the watches demeanour suddenly switched again, he dared not idle too long "... Lieutenant Commander Collingwood. Or... Well, just Susan Collingwood. She may have been promoted since last I spoke with her."

"Any factual information to help navigate to the correct Su-san Colling-wood?"

Coby almost squinted towards the Commander, his mind baffled as to why the man broke up her name, but he let it pass "... previous assignment as Chief Engineer of the U.S.S. Sommerset. Synthetic arm. Or at least some appendage."

"Ah, there's one officer of that description according to her dossier. I'll place a visual representation on the display." The commander tapped a command into his holographic display, the imagine of Susan being displayed on the viewport in front of Coby. Her scarlet hair split into two short pony tails, the holographic representation clad in a now-ancient gold sierra uniform, Coby recalled it fondly. "Does this officer match your description, Captain?"

"Yes, that's her! Thankyou Commander." Morton's mouth fought a hard battle with his facial muscles and let a smile slip onto his face.

"I'm affraid... Captain." began the officer of the watch. Coby's smile instantly dropped, those words never meant much of a good thing. With all that'd happened within the past 6 months his heart began to drop. "... that we don't have an up-to-date version of her file, you see roughly a year ago now she was reassigned from Task Force Argo. It states here it was only a temporary assignment for the first few months, with no return date, but that could have changed for all we'd be aware of. I can most certainly just take a look on the main database and locate her for you Captain? Though you can probably just do that yourself."

"Nono, thankyou Commander. I'll perhaps take a look for myself when I next get a free moment."

"No trouble, Captain. I apologise I couldn't be more help." Coby had opened his mouth to reply, but it appeared a little premature "... was there anything else I could help you with Captain."

"No... no thankyou Commander."

The officer of the watch instantly pivoted around almost exactly 180 degrees, now staring towards a holographic display of the stations internals.

I'll see myself out, then.

7 Likes
q6EIq1Y.jpg

STARDATE: 91878.2
PART THREE

The corridor leading out of traffic control was filled with a litter of three officers, a pleasing sight in Coby's eyes as he began to hope the day would only proceed to get better from here. The promenade still seemed a little quiet, but in his experience it usually was at this time anyway... so wasn't as strange any longer. The current officer of the watch had rapidly sunk to be one of Coby's least favourite people - at least the Commander would sit near the bottom of that list until the end of the day, or until he bought Coby a certain coloured beverage. Coby only ever truly had a dislike for a few certain individuals, none of which being his immediate peers or commanding officers. In fact, during his time within the Task Force/38th he'd rarely come across anyone he disliked with any passion. A certain Iskeran had once tested his patience, but it never developed into anything other than a mocking dislike. It'd become apparent that Coby began to miss the antics of the Captain of the U.S.S. Toronto quite a deal, it seemed to him at least that Captain R-zo'vek would be the last person Coby expected he wouldn't be seeing when he returned to the station.

As far as dislike goes, the only person to actually make it to the bottom of Captain Morton's list was an Admiral that once told him that his career was a complete sham, that it would never amount to anything more than a pity-command and early retirement out of respect - to keep the press happy during a time of war with the Klingons. It had been this woman who gave Coby command of the original U.S.S. October, a Galaxy class vessel refit similarly to Coby's current command which had been retired almost three years ago in preparation for the Odyssey class bearing the name. The Admiral had also then assigned Coby to Task Force Argo and it's attached outpost, something which was a small spec compared to the station that now holds a Deep Space status.

With his hands still firmly inside of his pockets, Coby had made his way towards a turbo lift. Entering the empty chamber and waiting for the doors to clasp shut with quite an audible psssssht as they joined together in the center. "Diplomatic Chambers~" he called up, unsure of the exact deck number at this stage and hoping the computer would translate his request correctly - and thankfully the Captain soon found the doors whirling open to reveal the decorative displays that hung from the walls on the open diplomacy environment. His eyes began to keep a close watch on the science officers working above him on the late rotation, all the while glancing forward to watch his footing so he could avoid any unwanted (and awkwardly embarrassing) collisions. Soon enough he'd already passed by the Admiral's office and was taking a left towards the fishtank, beginning to make his way up the staircase. He got roughly halfway, perhaps a little more, before a voice called from behind him.

"... Captain Morton~?" a Cadet, clad in overalls and a sciences stripe began to jog towards the Captain, quickly meeting him on the stairs. Her face seemed unfamiliar, quite narrow and pointed but had a softness to it that seemed almost contradictory. Her hair short, almost shaven even, making it hard to tell the exact shade of it's colour. Built as fit as most Starfleet Cadets are due to the rigorous training regimes. Coby struggled to recalled if he'd ever made her acquaintance before, her pale skin seeming very unfamiliar. The Captain slowly twisted as far around as he dared at the waist, just about facing the Cadet, the rest of his body however remained frozen with his left leg bracing his weight and desperately wanting Coby to finish his stride. Morton blinked.

"Cadet." he replied, formally.

"I thought I spotted you, sir. I just wanted to take a quick moment while I can to thank you, so so muchly~, for what you did Captain. Sponsering my academic studies earlier this year. You really... have turned my life around, sir. It means so much to me just to be able to be aboard, and it's all down to you Captain." her voice had a chirp to it, a level of what seemed genuine enthusiasm for her studies and a warmth aimed towards Coby, he appreciated that - but it didn't change the fact he'd had no recollection of whom the young woman was that he was conversing with. Regardless of this fact, Coby feigned a warm grin as best he could.

"Bah, please. At best my words would have only made Sector Command have a slight incline to look at your dossier and consider you for assignment in the sector, you're here on your own merit Cadet. Remember that." He began to pray that she wouldn't call his bluff, for all he knew she'd achieved the lowest scores possible, but there it was. A wide smile accompanied with a pair of rosie cheeks. Success.

"I doubt that, truly I do sir, but even that means so much to me." she paused, allowing Coby the time to turn around fully and relieve his left leg of it's strenuous duty at last. "Pardon my tone sir, but... glad to be away from K-7 at last, then?"

She must have been one of the various cadet classes to come through the station, practically the entire staff knew Morton hated being back aboard K-7 during his time standing in as Command Liaison. He originally left his assignment there years ago for a good few reasons, all of which made him hardly want to return to the outdated post. He forced a quiet chuckle "... hahah~! Quite so, Cadet. I'm fairly certain I wont be going back there again." Though he'd said that before.

The Cadet smiled "I'm sure Captain, ha. I just wanted to say thanks, once again... don't wish to keep you from what you're occupying yourself with, sir. I'm already late for bunk hours as it is, but this is the first chance I've had to talk to you in person, so I couldn't miss it!"

"Should never keep your bunk waiting, Cadet." began Coby, sincerely deadpan "... second most important station you can't be late reporting to."

She smiled again, and that was enough for Coby in his current mood. He felt exceptionally bad for not recalling the cadet in any way at all, in full he could only really recall the engineering cadets he mentored for the first semester, and even that was a struggle for him.

"Of course sir!" replying in her best impression of Coby's voice. "I'll report there right away, Captain." and standing to attention sharply. Her eyes even looking towards the wall behind the Captain, he admired her dedication to the gag. His forced smile grew a little more genuine.

"Dismissed~, Cadet." and off she went, smiling. Coby felt his chest cramp a little. Hey. Pull yourself together Morton, what the stars is wrong with you today? Sheesh. He began to turn around once again, continuing his path up the stairs. As he continued the trek, his mind wandered a little; What's up with me, Coby? - What's up with you? What's up with me. His mind continuing to battle itself, his smile remained as he almost laughed at keeping himself amused during the walk. Soon reaching the top of the stairs Coby paused for a moment to grab his bearings, soon entering the science labs.

4 Likes
rlfIYwB.jpg

STARDATE: 91901.2

Coby's eyes traced over the sitting Perim, the dining hall slowly filling up as the lunch hour drifted closer. Before making his final remark, his eyes glanced over towards Rellir and Aurelia, their antics forcing a slight smile to grow on the Captains face. Looking back to Perim, he studied her. Considering the fact he was worried what she thought of him to begin with, that feeling was doubled now as he slowly shrunk, feeling like a child. If all had gone to plan, Eli would've had a conversation with her and Coby would've enjoyed the light lunch of bread he'd ordered from the counter hassle free - instead of having to speak with the Fleet Captain by himself, never mind the awkwardness. He eventually nodded a smirk towards her.

"Enjoy your next shift with Captain Altais, Captain Perim." he spoke with a mockingly formal tone.

As he departed his mood had begun to rapidly drop, it was a good job he'd been confined to the station by Altais (even if it was just a joke) as he didn't believe he'd be able to cope much longer if he was on the bridge of a starship. Was probably just as well that the Oswestry had been sent on a rendezvous assignment, though even if it hadn't, Katriel had advised him to remain close to the station at any rate. He'd take her advice seriously if no one else's. Being placed in the middle of Eli and Neema wasn't helping, he felt a strain tugging on his emotions but at the same time forced himself to continue on behalf of his friend, who was clearly out of their own depth. He didn't know exactly where to find Eli, so didn't set out on a witch hunt, instead turning into a corridor and heading towards the science lobby - though that turned out to be just the spot Eli had genuinely sprinted away too. The Captain looked at his friend hidden away in the corner, slumped on one of the rather comfy-looking furnishings spotted around the deck.

Coby had received and incredible shock when Eli asked him how to approach the Fleet Captain, at first he'd laughed in Eli's face at the thought thinking it was a joke, though he soon offered his support and... out-of-practice advice. That was probably what was slowly getting to him, in this situation at least, the lack of more intimate company for himself. Here he was helping out Eli as best he could, when in actuality it'd been far longer than he'd admit since Coby had-had a serious relationship. Coby had grown to view Neema as a friend, he'd not exactly known her all that well before his reassignment - but coming back he'd grown to know her a little more than just as an acquaintance. In fact it was Eli, and his constant teasing, that'd made Coby think of Perim in a different way but ultimately Coby ceased to think anything more of it. This especially after considering how he admired Captain Quint's integrity. He felt so alone, more so than ever in the past 3 minutes of him walking from the dining hall. His eyes fixed on the stations Executive Officer, Eli throwing something verbal towards him. Something that concerned Coby, though he wasn't sure if it was because he could feel one of his mood swings coming or whether he was genuinely frightened.

"... don't pack your things just yet, old man." he paused, clearly halting any plans to head towards sciences. "You need to speak to her yourself, and... yes. I know you're not good at this thing, but neither are any of us." Eli replied, but Coby's mind appeared to filter a chunk of it out. His head now racing with thoughts of sleep, but then his mind fighting those thoughts and wanting Coby to remain awake. It was happening again. "... look, I can feel one of my moments coming along, I just... I need to head to my quarters, but Eli..." Coby's pauses began to grow in frequency "... I'm here for you, and I'm kinda' stuck around here anyway so just know you can come talk to me." Coby had began to walk away when his body stopped him, sharply turning around "Do NOT start packing." and then allowing him to continue. He began to believe that Altais might actually begin to consider leaving the station. Coby couldn't lose anyone else, not now.

It was't a long walk by any means, but the corridors seemed to go on forever as Morton headed towards the nearest turbolift. He passed numerous crewmen who offered respectful nods, but ultimately all Coby was interested in was being able to keep his balance as he finally reached the turbolift. "Residential; Deck 27... uh, extension 4." hoping to limit his time walking. As soon as he exited the narrow tube, he walked straight towards his quarters - the deck appearing quiet so it wasn't too embarrassing when he almost tripped over his own foot, the door shutting behind him as he collapsed on the quarters desk.

It wasn't long before he pulled his head upwards, opening his eyes before letting out a sigh. His arms hung low enough to ease the hassle of taking off his utility boots. He'd often not been one for wearing the same attire each day, opting for a duty jacket rather than the standard tunic, or as in previous cases his uniform overcoat; this was one of the first times he'd experimented with the newest Odyssey style boots and utility bottoms. His hands already missing the comfortable pockets of his standard trousers. He'd not even managed to take the right leg out of a boot before the desks console began to flash, emitting a quiet vibrating hum with each flashing strobe of the screen.

"... really?" he exhaled.

With incredible hesitation, his hand slid over the console and began to log in. Had it have been marked as important he'd have no doubt answered straight away, but considering it wasn't marked as any kind of importance as was being sent from a familiar looking Andorian name, he wasn't in any rush. "Captain zh'Aeregon. What an unexpected... Pleasure."

"Dunnae' go givin' me lip, Cap'n. Ah'm in tha' middle o' something s'would appreciate tha' gratitude for tha' call." The screen had filled with the live image of short haired Andorian, her straight antennae began to wiggle.

"I'm sorry, Athini, is... is everything alright?" he replied, quietly.

The Andorian's face grew a wide smile, her voice growing instantly higher in pitch and casual-sounding "O'course 'et is, ye' lump. Was jus' checking in with ye'. Ah' jus' heard somethin' a little troubling an' wanted to check it wasn't true."

Internally, Coby had a rush of concern. Had something escaped the confines of the station? The only people who knew were those he'd spoken to today, had one of them gone to someone else? Coby felt betrayal - and that was another problem, he even knew himself that this feeling was most likely just paranoia; forcing himself to continue like nothing had happened. "Oh? What're you going on about 'Aeregon?"

"O', ah' dunno..." she said, her voice suddenly screaming out of the consoles sound system "MAYBE 'ETS THA' FACT YE' WERE COMPLAININ' ABOUT NOT HAVIN' A DAMN ASSIGNMENT AN' NOW AH' HEAR YOU'RE NOT EVEN ABOARD YE' SHIP." the Andorian appeared to slump a little further back in her seat once she'd finished "... 'Oswestry passed tha' October a few hours ago following one o' their prisoner transfers..."

Coby stepped in, almost relieved at the topic "I've just fallen a little ill, I was in sick bay when the ship had to leave, so I gave Commander zh'Ronnao operational command."

"What is 'et an' you with given ye' ships t' Andorian Commanders, Morton." she jested.

Coby didn't know how to reply, again,almost all of him knew she was joking but... he just couldn't fight off the sudden feeling that it was a sharp attack. His face remained neutral as he replied, his voice strained "... It was for the sake of the mission, ship and crew. I wasn't fit for duty and the Commander will do just fine. You have no say on what I do with my command." Coby's hand quickly moving to terminate the display. He'd not spoken with Athini for atleast a month, probably even longer. She was usually the only person he'd ever confide in, and to most extents the closest to a sis- well... Mother would probably be more accurate... that he had. Morton's head had soon sunken into his hands, the urge to call her back was foremost in his mind, but he couldn't will himself to do it. He'd just terminated a subspace call with one of his oldest friends after less than a minute's duration. He began to recall something Katriel had said to him, soon forcing himself upright, making his way over towards one of the comfier chairs and taking a few deep breathes. He needed help, and he knew it, more so than he thought initially. He was no Starfleet Captain in this state - that was something he was sure going to fix.

3qsIgcG.jpg

9 Likes
oCEa0Oo.jpg

STARDATE: 91955.9

Coby's Argo tunic was covered in a soot-like substance, the same substance appeared to cover a small portion of his right cheek, and a little smeared over his forehead - in fact the substance was smeared over the majority of his figure, his forearms from where his sleeves were rol- well, more scrunched up, his hands.... neck... it was even somewhat visible on his already black trousers. Unsurprisingly, the colourful pumps he'd taken back to wearing the past couple of days had a thick layer of grime, masking the bright red colour. He began to head towards the lighter portion of the narrow corridor, it might as well have been a jefferies tube considering it's width and height.

The deck beneath him vibrated as the systems below continuously turned over, heated metal valiantly kept up it's fight with the void outside, creaking as the cold continued to attack. The sound was almost soothing, Coby thought. His Chief Engineer was a little concerned, but Coby had given the structural integrity a thorough inspection when he was first given command, he was happy enough with it's condition.

The bowels of the U.S.S. Oswestry showed it's age. Patchwork from it's life as the U.S.S. Cheshire before it's mothballing was apparent throughout the entire ship, though the serious wounds were more visible the lower you got towards the anti-matter storage pods. The decks were staffed with minimal crew, in fact during Coby's recent command of the ship he'd only ever noticed seven, if even that, life signs emitting from where he stood - which for a ship with over a thousand crew aboard was certainly something, at least that's what he thought. However on this particular occasion, Coby'd given permission to a number of the reserve crew to host a small gathering in a small, disused cargo bay just at the end of the narrow corridor. He wished he was in there, and not crawling around in the muck.

It takes time for anyone to get used to a new Captain, but it takes perhaps even longer for a Captain to get used to a ship and crew. Coby'd served with the same crew the majority of his career, during his command of both the U.S.S. October and the 'October-A the crew were as close to family as he'd ever had. All that was gone now. He was among someone else's family, his first officer the stepmother from hell. He had a way of always getting something of an Andorian executive officer.

"Oh sure, Ensign. I don't mind. How hard will it be?" Coby chirped to himself, a little out of breath. "No-no, really, I don't mind at all, I'll have a look around the lower decks while I'm down there... don't worry, hahaha."

In the past month Captain Morton had come to terms with his current state of mind, he'd seeked help and knew his boundaries. Perhaps it was once again having the responsibility of a small group of vessels, each housing their own unique crews, or perhaps it was just something else. Either way, Coby had taken relief in the fact he had things under control. He still had his rank, his Command and the help of his friends. Minus one.

"... I know you're down there, just come her-" Coby growled, only to be cut off as his foot slipped on a puddle of familiar black silt. As his head collided with the bulkhead, his mouth let out an unruly selection of the Terran language. Luckily, it'd just be a bruise left over, but as Coby lay on the floor staring towards the close ceiling, he found himself concerned with only one thought rushing around his mind. Neema's face as he left Eli's quarters. Though it was her words that stuck him most. He'd asked if she was okay. No, but I will be. Coby had lost friends, crew... he was no stranger to losing people close. It came with the job. Though something about Eli being gone, it left a void in him. Something missing. He didn't know why, perhaps it was just his head playing around with him again, or maybe it was something that Eli had done with... his strange Eli powers. Coby couldn't pin it; "... but will I?" he murmured to himself, almost scared.

In fact, he'd been trying to keep his mind from thinking about it - he didn't want to consider his own feelings with his head the way it is, he wasn't sure if it was just attacking him or if he genuinely felt the way he did. That's why he now found himself trailing a lost cat through the depths of his ship, while the majority of the crew take in the current season. The closer he'd come to terms with things, the harder it became to believe.

"I need a drink."

Meow, replied the call from the opposite end of the corridor.

((Just wanted to apologize to anyone that actually reads these, I hardly think much of them myself anyway as I know they're boring and seem a little dumb, but I've been super duper busy this past week! And even now am still winding down from stuff which was meant to be over with like, last week. So while I had chance thought I'd post a tiny story thing, just so y'all don't think I'm inactive ^_^ KTHX))

6 Likes
SPk1XFd.jpg

STARDATE: 92195.1

He watched with a fairly faint smirk, the Trill and Eli both held a soft smile as they spoke. It was probably supposed to be an enjoyable moment, after all, it'd been a while since Coby had seen the pair like that once again. But something had suddenly tugged on him, pretty heavily at that. No doubt the remnants of whatever had been eating him the past 6 months, he felt in the way now. Eventually he dragged his eyes back towards the Android and the Romulan either side of him, murmuring a short response... well... introduction, if even that. After the Ferengi had handed him his flavoured beverage, he gave a look to the pair once again, and immediately made plans to depart. He'd left it too late, again. But... he hated himself for even thinking about it, considering the circumstances it would have been based around. He shook his head, forcing a wide grin as he set off towards the ramp with haste.

"Hallo~ Doctor!" The Captain only got about 3/4's of the way down the ramp before he chirped a quick greeting towards the familiar looking Half-Andorian Doctor, who'd appeared to be heading into the small operations cabin, for whatever reason. A Hmm'mm from under her breath was the only response he received, but somehow he was able to laugh at that.

He'd come to love his quarters on the station, however temporary they were meant to be initially, and was heading towards the turbolift before he came to a stop, catching a glimpse of his reflection in one of the nearby glossy panels. Glass raised to his mouth, he gulped a fair amount of the flavoured water down, then continuing to watch his reflection a while longer. He seemed satisfied with it, really.

His attention had soon moved from his face towards his shoulders, and then the black and grey jacket-variant he'd taken to recently. He hated the white shoulders, but felt a little left out whenever he was around other Captain's donning their standard, except her. Perhaps subconsciously that's why he'd requisitioned the standard officer scheme, mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, right? He almost burst out a laugh, though a quick glance left and right soon allowed him to recompose himself. No, that was way too ridiculous, so after a quick straighten of his rank insignia, then pocketing his free hand, he moved away from the bulkhead and added a kick to his walk once more - greeting any officers he passed with a smile'd nod. It hardly took him long to reach the turbolift, but he took his time entering and calling out a request, slumping his back against the capsules wall.

The walk to his quarters was fairly uneventful, almost tripping over his own foot while idly deconstructing the artificial flavouring in his water. As soon as he entered the quarters, he went straight for the open wardrobe beside his bed space. His quarters were, frankly, a little more furnished that the one's he had aboard the October. Removing his jacket with a quick slide, he starting tugging through a vast collection of tunics, jackets, vests and over-coats. His eyes were stuck between his 'Argo bomber jacket and his standard length Starfleet Uniform. It didn't take him long to decide, his arms finding their way through the white shoulders and into their sleeves with ease. Coby came to a halt after 'zipping' up his tunic, giving his collar a slight adjustment and then staring towards the doors of his quarters.

"Eh... talking to yourself isn't exactly a new thing, is it, Morton. So why let this get the better of you again?" he mumbled to himself, though even he wasn't quite sure what he was referring to by this.

Within three minutes, he found himself once again passing a now-familiar set of glossy bulkheads without a second glance, his mission was evident with his trajectory heading straight for the ramp, dropping the glass in his hand onto a piece of the lower bulkhead protruding beside the entrance. It was with faint disappointment that once he'd got to the top of the ramp, the Cantina was all but empty. He spotted the Android once again, sat in the corner, and huffed himself back over towards Swifty.

"Milkshake, Swift."

7 Likes
n506Ydh.jpg

STARDATE: 92197.9

"Alright, I ... think that's everything, great." He said, giving a glance to the senior officers around the briefing room's table, landing a firm nod on each as his eyes scooted over. "Dismissed." The Klingon was the first to come to a sharp stand, immediately offering a faint bow and heading towards the bridge in silence. The Andorian and Vulcan took their time to finish what must have been an earlier conversation, coming to a stand and heading slowly towards the exit, offering a respectful 'Cap'n' as they passed his chair. The two similarly built men exited onto the bridge of the 'October which was still mostly barren, though with its first true assignment since refit coming up, more and more crew were getting familiar with the updated systems. The short human chick beamed a smile as she passed, almost skipping back towards the helm. The Trill and Ferengi women stood, but remained in their place as Commander Quonick spoke up, her deeper-than-most-expect voice was a pleasing familliar sound since his return to the ship.

"Actually, Captain. The Doctor and I have one of the holosuites booked from the beginning of Gamma. It's of no coincidence that this fails to clash with your current duty schedule, and we would deem it highly rude of you not to attend with us this evening." Forward, as always. The Ferengi stepped around the back of her seat, while the shorter Trill remained stood with her arms behind her back, silent, absently watching the exchange.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to come across as such a thing, Commander. Please, do expect my presence, though I might be just a little tardy. I... hope to have lunch on the station with a friend this afternoon, I'm... uncertain how long that will derail me from schedule, but I shall certainly try my utmost to arrive as close to your slot as possible." Morton remained seated, for those that know him, it'd be a pretty uncommon sight to see him sitting mostly-formal - even during his time on the station, he was never one for being uncomfortable in those long department meetings.

The Ferengi's nose twitched, though before she could answer, the Trill Chief Medical Officer piped in "It'd be a surprise if you actually showed up ahead of time, for once, Captain." pausing, her face possessing a faint smirk but it soon flattens out "We appreciate your schedules and if you already have plans."

He grew a small smirk of his own "Heh, don't you forget I'm the superior officer here, ladies. That sort of talk can land you in detention. However... " pushing himself and the chair away from the table, he jumps forward with a little spring, smiling "I'll gladly come, Commander, Doctor - but just out of interest, what will we be running this time? Something exciting, I trust. That last one, with the beekeeper, was a little sour. I appreciated the activity, buuuuut the lecture he gave before hand was... urgh." feigning a shiver.

The women shared a glance, soon looking back to the Captain "We think so, Captain." Quonick replied. "We look forward to seeing you there". the Ferengi started, making her way around the table and into the doorway as doors slide open, sending the Captain a stern nod, then a glance in wait for the Trill to follow.

"Enjoy your lunch, Captain." the Doctor following suit, "... the enlightenment talk was not that bad." as she passed his stance, then leaving.

As the doors came to a clasping shut, Coby sent a long look around the briefing room. Well, more of a briefing chamber, considering. Compared to older vessels, the October had always had a pretty large briefing room, after all, it was designed specifically with diplomacy assignments on the Klingon front. But since the refit, the room had received a complete overhaul. Above, gigantic planes of transparent material lay between rather thick, yet elegant, support beams. A large open viewport ran along the facing side of the room, connecting with the singular planes to form one soft and rounded plane. The floor housed numerous decor and fabrics, a large finely woven Federation emblem rug lay under the curved table - it's new configuration easily seating at least 16-20 people, though was often folded shorter with the ability to even be extended. After entering and walking left passed the table, a small dug-out section held a large display screen, with several smaller one's dotted around, with a circular bench seat that was mirrored in the opposite side of the dug out. Coby had joked during his initial command about replacing his general quarters with this room, and now considered the idea more than ever. If only he could.

He took a breath, breakfast had gone a little strangely. The tasteless gummy things were hardly the most filling, though Captain quint and the familiar Betazoid counselor didn't seem to mind them. He'd wanted to go over to the Betazoid and her company sooner, but Altais had other idea's of his own. He ended up leaving the station feeling a little hollow, and not just in the stomach. There was still something tugging at him. After he'd gone to see if he could catch up to Altais who had departed the cantina earlier, he ended up just heading straight to the ship and prepared for the morning brief.

The thing is, he didn't have enough to time start thinking into his personal life yet again, thankfully, a snarling voice came through his communicator "Captain. Morton. ToTheBridge." Coby rolled his eyes, taking purposefully long strides almost like playing a game of don't touch the floor, using his arms as a counter balance and everything. He managed to cross from where he'd been standing to the door in just three steps, smirking to himself as the door opened and sticking his head outside.

"What." he called, in his notaquestion voice, immediately staring a slight frown towards the Klingon, stood just in front of the First Officers chair on the left. Athini was forced to have sat in the left seat, way before she became the ships Captain, based purely on a running joke Morton had surrounding the fact the right chair was reserved for a new counselor. Really, it was just fortunate that rarely a third party was required to sit on the bridge.

The Klingon grinned, and not a nice normal grin, a Klingon grin "Just checking that it works. Captain." inclining his head.

6 Likes
qoOY918.jpg

STARDATE: 92216.8

Open mic hours were always popular with the crew of the October, and late on a Sunday night was generally when the more enthusiastic crew would frequent the sessions. It was one of Coby's favourite things to do in the week, really. He'd done it long before 'Aeregon, and continued to do so during his temporary admiralty command of the ship last year. It was no surprise that the majority of the crew weren't unfamiliar with him at this point. As usual, he entered through the rear doors and couldn't help but smile at the idle chatter and mumbles filling the entire room. This time on a Sunday, you wouldn't quite recognize this as a Federation Ship, bar the uniforms.

"Skipper~!" was immediately called from behind the curved bar near the center of the room, and without a break in the music, the majority of people sent a glance towards the door and offered a wave, nod and some even a "Captain." - Coby smiled as he always did, brutally unzipping his jackets collar, then sent a wave of his mug towards the barkeep. One of the tables at the back, that's where he usually planted himself, had an occupant already so with a brief glance to the Tellarite currently playing his flute-like instrument, Coby headed forward towards the table. A roar of applause came about for the Tellarite as he stepped down from the stage and, in typical fashion, merely regarded the clapping with a some-what less disgruntled nod. The room quickly refilled with loud chatter, laughter and the odd raised voice as disputes over various musical topics went on in good heart. There was usually a couple of minute between each performer, so it gave people plenty of time to get the most of their discussions underway before quietening for the next act - in fairness, the room was never that quiet during the performances anyway, but yet people were still playing full attention to the performers and offering them the respect once their session had come to an end. It was the odd things like that that made Coby really smile.

"Captain!" called the tables occupant, a short Bolian, quickly turning herself in her seat to face towards him and then motioning to the free seat opposite her "I thought you weren't going to make it, you missed a wonderful rendition of Commander Allegro's pipe work. It's a shame he wasn't here to see it himself, I'm awfully curious on how he'd have perceived the cover. I..." her face winces juuuuust a little, perhaps a little guilty "... perhaps thought the cover was a little better performed."

Coby swung himself into the seat, his mug quickly hitting the table as his eyes attention followed around the room "Sorry~ I was just having a drink with a friend, had something to drop off." his gaze returning to the Bolian "... really? I wouldn't tell him that, he'd probably find a way to take it the wrong way." The Captain smirked faintly, then once again turned his attention to around the room.

"Well, true." she paused, soon taking a sip from her short glass and smiling "It wasn't another transfer request, was it? I keep telling you, I don't want to lose my job to that 'Commander Sedai, Coby."

Laughing, he shook his head "... no, but somewhat close. I was dropping her off an old novel I found, actually." tilting his head.

The Bolian snickered quietly in return "Well, alright." then going quiet.

An average built human soon stood from near the front, taking a walk over to a vast collection musical instruments near the raised stage-like platform. The collection held a number of unique looking instruments, an Enaran instrument (which was hardly ever touched) was just one of the various selections the crew could pick up, but Lieutenant Stephens grabbed a rather familiar looking stringed device and took to the center seat on the stage.

Spoiler: Waiting just a couple of seconds to adjust himself, he set off with the capo on the third fret over the laughter in the roomShow

The October's refit had significantly updated the entirety of the ships internal suites. Ten forward was no exception, and along with the numerous other lounges and restaurants aboard ship, the crew frequented the establishment regularly. The wide windows that had already allowed starlight to pass through easily had been replaced with an even larger single pane, small support girders were dotted along it's length only faintly breaking it's singular silhouette, also housing separate emergency bulkheads and forcefield emitters. However perhaps the most important addition currently, was the improved acoustics. Coby was never quite sure why, but he and several crew had often commented previously that the sound in the room was always a little off, unless you sat directly in front of the sound's source.

Coby's attention turned to the Lieutenant at the front, taking a slow sip from his mug as the Bolian leaned across the table, almost sprawling completely over it as she fought to get closer to him. Regardless of the loud chatter already in the room, she decided to force a strong whisper to him.

"... also, Captain~!" taking a breath "... how's your speech coming along?!"

Without looking to her, he just lent a little further into the table. His voice not so much a whisper but still considerably softer than previously "Heh, it's going quite fine. But I mea-"

"Are you sure you don't want me to go through it with you, Captain?" she cut back in.

Coby glanced at her with a smirk, then back to the guitarist "No, you're quite alright, I mean... I'm mostly just going to wing it like I always do, anyway. Always prefer it to be fluent and fresh, I hate scripts." he then takes another sip from the mug, then bobbing his head to the rendition being played "Besides, I'll have more time to talk to people once we're underway for DS9."

The Bolian counselor slowly slid a little more into her seat, she too bobbing her head a little as she raised her glass "Well, alright. You know where I am if you neeeeed me~" then shaking her head with a quiet giggle. "How's your other friend, Coby? Word does seem to travel fast these days, hmm?"

"If you mean Fleet Captain Perim, last I asked, she seemed quite well." he smiled, at that, though regardless of what everyone had kept telling him he still felt he was just being a chore for her. A concern he wouldn't be able to get rid of for the moment, at least, but he really enjoyed her company so never let a chance to speak with her slip.

"Good! I'm glad, really. When Captain zh'Aeregon heard you were... coming back here, she had quite the concern you were going to kill her." the Counselor smiled, wide, and had now fully retracted back into her seat as she returned her volume. "I'm glad you've restrained yourself. Court martial's are hardly what you need on your plate, really!"

The Captain snorted, shaking his head as the mug came back up towards his lips "No, counselor. They're not~" and taking another mouthful of his un-milked tea.

8 Likes
aLcw1te.jpg

STARDATE: 92227.7

It was already late, and Coby had next to no sleep the previous night anyway, so he took one final glance over the ponds waters, then sent a firm nod towards the Federation Captain beside him. "... oh, and, grab me for my breakfast, wont you? That cafe we passed looked pretty cosy, would love to give it a try. Are you staying on Bajor for much longer?"

Eli looked at Morton, a faint shrug "I have some subspace calls to make."

With a mock salute, Coby had already begun making his way away from the pond and headed back through the quiet streets. Well, quiet for Bajor, perhaps. There was still numerous citizens, traders and visitors bustling around, but the majority of the stalls and shops had shut for the day. With a swift motion, Coby's hand withdrew from his pocket and shoved the remaining piece of carrot-like fruit into his mouth, giving it a crunch as the hand soon found it's way back into the warmth.

The narrow street in front of him was still blocked off, members of the Bajoran people had cornered off a section in some form of protest, and it was only barely being contained by the joint efforts of the Bajoran and Starfleet security details surrounding them. Coby came to a stop just beside the commotion, smiling "Everything alright, Major?" he said, not quite glancing to the Bajoran on his right.

"Situation is under control, Captain. Don't worry, there was just a report of excessive volume, just taking precautions and the like." replied the rather large officer, his hands seemed just about as big as Lieutenant Korzath's compared to Coby's. "Here, Captain... let me just..." and without much of a pause the Major stepped towards the crowd, and without a word, was able to part a small passage between the protesters. Turning to Coby, his head gave a subtle nod towards the newly formed gap, and sent the Captain a warm smile.

"Much appreciated, Major~!" setting off and managing to squeeze through the gap, itself quickly disappearing behind him as he passed. On the other side stood a Starfleet enlisted crewman, Bajoran himself, and Coby offered a soft "Sergeant." as he moved away. While a number of the shops were shut, Coby managed to find the odd tourist stall still open, and soon one quickly drew his attention. The stall was fairly bland, it was using the familiar browns and other wooden shades that most of the stalls were made up of, but had a number of rather delicate tapestries handing from either side of its front supports. A Ferengi in a rather odd looking open jacket greeted Coby with a nod, but that wasn't what made Coby come to a stop. His attention had moved to a number of miniature holoprojectors, small trinkets, photograph frames and the like - all laid out neatly on the base of the stall, just well enough so you can quickly scan through the majority of what the stall is offering (but of course no clear prices were made visible).

The Ferengi grinned as she noticed Coby's interest in her wares "Somethiiiiing cught your eye, yeeess?" her voice was fairly sharp, a squeak behind each syllable.

"Do you have anything more... traditional? Like... about this size?" Coby replied, still inspecting the table as he brought his hands together, making a small rectangular shape with his fingers.

"Ahhhh, yes. I think I have some the Captain will like..." the Ferengi woman knelt down behind the stall, and plucked out a couple of wafer thing pieces of plastic "Something similar, yes? While I haaaaaate to give the trade away, the Bajoran market usually carries a muuuuch wider range. Hmmm? I must like you, Captain." While her flattery attempts weren't actually working, Coby eye'd the one small rectangle and bobbed his head with a smile.

"Nono! That one will do perfectly, thanks. Do you... have a stylus or... some writing instrument handy at all?"

"A pen, Captain?"

Coby snorted softly, bobbing his head "If you have one." The Ferengi turned to her chest of draws behind, but as she opened the draw, Coby chirped in once more "Actually, do you think you could filter that in and send it for me, after? I'd appreciate the effort and extra few minutes you'd need to put in."

"Yoooou just make sure you tell your frieeeends about me, yes?" as she hands Coby the writing instrument, it was a fairly large white marker from the looks of it, hardly a precision tool. He didn't take long, merely scribbling a very brief message onto the rectangle with this flat nib - as he finished, he tilted the pen just a little to the left, making use of the straight edge of the ink dispenser - eventually offering it back towards her "Isss that it?" she laughs, then popping the postcard into a tower-like device beside her on her right. She smiles, looking to Coby "That'll be... 20~ credits, I thiiink."

Coby tilted his head just for a moment, eyeing her with a sly smirk before he shook his head "Yeah, alright. You've been fairly helpful." as he reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a small thin device. The Ferengi smiled, taking the credits from his account and handing the device back to him, but then with a slight lean she collected the postcard from the machine.

"And thereeeees your hard coppy, Captain." handing it back to him "I looook forward to ssseing your friends, yes? Hahah!"

"Yeaaaah~, thanks for that! Have a good night, wont you." turning away from the stall.

10 Likes
MJ0zEDu.jpg

STARDATE: 92253.8

Spoiler: The continuous stream of shuttles flying overhead was almost relaxing, as Coby read the dedication hummingShow

The plaque was modest, to say the least. A silver shard of thin metal plate bolted to a corner on the central memorial stand. Across the delta-shape display, the names of several senior officers, two Admirals and a long column of enlisted crew littered the worn marble. The small plaque in the corner was no exception, it too held a list of names. Albeit a rather short list, but it wasn’t really one of those things that quantity made better. Coby’s palm traced over the weathered rock, his finger tips sliding down the rough surface until he reached the engraved writing.

"I'm not sure exactly if you'd like her, or... not." He snorted, shaking his head. His voice was low and a glance left made sure no one was quuiiite in ear range as his hands adjusts the pink flowers now standing at the base "Part of me wants to say you'd love her, but knowing how difficult you ar- were, I'm guessing you'd... hate her, just for the sake of making my life tough." He smiled, straightening up as he took a step back. “... but I quite like her."

USS LOMBARD
LOST WITH ALL HANDS; 2404

"I don't exactly come out this way often, or, not usually. But I'd forgotten how enchanting the garden is. Obviously... doesn't touch how I used to keep it in shape with Professor Warl, but. It still looks good." Coby's voice stopped, his hands heading into his pockets as he acted like he hadn't been talking to the memorial; several officers, two clad with white shoulders and the one with a bright silver trim appeared from around the hedge. He kept his body rigid as the trio passed him, offering a short nod to the three, who returned it without turning too much attention to Morton.

"Of course, ... saying that, I'm not sure she'd like you, actually. Hell, I'm still not sure to this day if even I do." his smirk grew, though soon wavered, swallowing "Until next time, Sarah."

The Golden Gate Bridge lumbered behind, Coby remembered watching footage of the Breen attack from about 4 decades ago and always found it inspiring how quickly the monument was resurrected. Something about that bridge must've hit numerous people hard, let alone officers and cadets stationed here - smart move to get things up and running again. He didn't have much of a connection to Earth, after all, he'd only ever spent a couple of years of his life actually living there. But he'd always make sure that his crew never went without too much needed home R&R. The same went for most species aboard his ship, in fairness. Coby never enjoyed the idea of taking extended periods of shore leave, so often worked things around just a couple of personal days whenever he could fit them in.

He bobbed his head and smiled at whoever passed him as he walked through the academy grounds, mostly other officers. Captain's, a large influx of newly minted Commanding Officers receiving their first orders, from the looks of it. As he entered the main hall, he couldn't do anything but sigh as he spotted the long line of returning cadets for their finals. The queues were pretty long, like, they extended completely around and into the civilian cafe. Something inside him allowed him to commit, however, and he began taking a short few steps towards the sea of blue-and-black uniforms.

"Caaaaaaaaaaaaptain Moooooooorton~!" chirped a voice. A little tough on his ears, perhaps, but it was the following array of voices that really caught his attention. A small group of Cadets, about halfway up the line from where he was, suddenly beckoning him over. Coby smiled, he had to really fight himself from almost grinning as he stepped out of line and walked his body and his white shoulders up the line of Cadets - reaching the familiar group much closer to the front. There stood a tall Bolian, clad in his Academy uniform with a blue science stripe; next to him the Andorian and Human brandished their golden stripe. A favourite colour of Coby's, actually.

"Jenkins, Thal, Yov." he smiled at each, giving a firm nod "Where's ... Robelt?" he asked, glancing around.

The tall Bolian replied, his stature much larger than Coby's, but his face looked young and... just about let Coby feel un-intimidated. "Bathroom, sir~! We're holding his place, or atleast... we say we are. It's completely yours, now! Captain."

Coby laughed, nodding "... it is. yes. I didn't think I'd be seeing you all so soon, actually. How have the rest of the 'October spread settled back in?"

"Well, we were with Bravo last night for a meal, they said their bunks are pretty cosy with the other annex's. But nice enough, sir." replied the Andorian.

"That's good, good. It's hard to believe it's been almost three years since you were even here? The... ship certainly already seems a little empty without you all. You do realize I'm expecting numerous transfer requests following graduation, right?"

The group laughed along with Coby's chuckle, each offering a faint nod and smile. They'd been brought aboard pretty close to the October's commission, originally scheduled for a brief stay on Outpost Argo before the assignment was changed to the October with the cease in hostilities with the Klingon's. They'd gone through Coby, Athini, Klak'ton and had found themselves back with Coby. It's pretty obvious who was there favourite. Athini held poker night, almost every night.

"I thought you weren't going to be visiting Earth, Captain?" the Bolian asked, sheepishly.

"Oh, I ... well." his smile remained, but something in his eyes seemed to dim as he thought about why he was here. "I just had to drop something off with the Administration team, here, paperwork. Great job you're all here, because, I was not waiting in this queue for much longer, from the back there."

"You could always just... walk up to the front, sir. Hah." the Human finally added.

"... well I was going to wait just a little longer, after having just pushed in front of all these..." looking behind him, offering a sly grin towards the two engineering cadets there "... fine cadets. I mean, I'm not Captain Altais... But I don't really have time. C'mon, follow me, I'll just... take you to Lieutenant Petrea, she's got a soft spot for me." he sniffs, then glances over the three "Robelt will have to find his own Captain, eh. Cadets, forward march." Coby Morton, most-competent-soft-Captain in Starfleet.

5 Likes
I4DACgg.jpg

STARDATE: 92293.6

It was already Monday, several hours into it too. He’d spent the Sunday on the bridge of the ship, watching and communicating with the other Captains of the Terix blockade. The Captain had an amusing lunch with Captain’s Cross and Sant, so at least he’d not spent his birthday tucked away in his cabin alone. The October had made it's way back to Deep Space Thirteen, and not a moment too soon, Coby thought. The small lounge was quiet. No barkeep, no crew and most noticeably no music. It was that point in between main rotations, the night staff slowly settling into their duties, already eagerly awaiting to be relieved by the ship's command staff in six hours. It was a rarity, in actuality, that you'd be able to find a lounge aboard the ship as quiet as this. The active roster of officers aboard ship had been shrunk significantly since the end of the war, though the total number was still fairly sizable. Coby sat in solitary, leaning against the bar as his eyes inspected the small jar filled with colourful pieces of paper ahead of him.

The human’s hand plucked into the small glass container, pinching at the corner of the closest folded piece of paper. The small, colourful crane floated above the almost empty counter until the Captain’s hand delicately positioned the piece of origami down beside his half finished glass.

“One.” He said, almost a whisper, as his hand was already returning into the jar.

It'd been one of those weeks, really, but it hadn't been all bad. He'd finally been able to give a gift, one he'd been keeping for some time, to a betazoid at last and was fairly content with his handy work. The charm itself was bought from a short trip to Luna, along with the couple of etching tutorial programs he'd grabbed. A projector was something he'd spotted in a journal of his, a reproduction of a Terran-Vintage - of course, the difference being its modern counterpart had all the advantages of 25th Century technology. It'd be a unique set of gifts, he had hoped, anyway.

“Two.” Taking a moment to eye the identical-ness between the folds, looking for those odd creases that make each one individual.

He'd spoken to the betazoid counselor later in the week, it wasn't often he felt the need to go outside of the October's counseling department, but he wanted a friend. Someone he felt comfortable with. He'd assumed that he had only just barely passed his last psychiatric evaluation, his most recent episode a number of months back resulting in admittance to Deep Space Thirteen's sickbay. They weren't panic attacks as such, he just felt isolated, afraid. For a ship with over a thousand crew, and often someone a mere wall away, it certainly wasn't an obvious case to solve.

“Three.” The jar still looking fairly full of the paper cranes as he continued to pluck one out at a time.

With some hesitation, he'd decided to tell a certain Trill how he'd been feeling, perhaps failing to mention that an Eli Altais had started all this. He was scared for a number of reasons, but the anxiety that'd slowly been building in him had started to show signs of fading the more he spoke with the Fleet Captain. Coby had been avoiding her, in a sort of ways. Always scared to say or do the wrong thing, it was hard for him to keep the Captain-persona that he showed his crew, to that which he showed her. Unlike with most people, he did care what she thought about him, especially now more than ever.

If there was one thing Coby was a master of, it was feigning a smile for his crew.

“Four.”

"Five."

"Six."

"Seven."

Perhaps it was the thought of loss, or the fact he was just being a hassle, or something. He wasn't sure why exactly he was so reluctant, or why sometimes felt awkward around her. He never exactly cared for PDA, but if there was ever anyone else in the room with them, he never quite wanted to over do his affection for the sake of annoying her. There was a moment not too long back following the Trill's return to Deep Space Thirteen where she'd been near-ambushed outside the holosuite. Morton had wanted nothing more than to just head over, say hello, and whisk her away for dinner. But he didn't. There was a crowd, along with the Romulan. Instead he cowered behind a railing and waited for them to dismiss themselves in turn.

Coby sighed, his hand failing to return to the still almost full jar and instead laying limp against the bartop. He was hungry and hadn't exactly had much to eat the past few days, so it was an almost-on-queue moment when the short Andorian stepped through the galley's doorway. Her white attire marking the distinction of Chef, though the outfit was in no way her usual formal attire.

"Evening, Captain! Missed you last night, we-" The Andorian instantly eye'd the origami cranes, and then the jar, with some suspicion "Whaaaat are they?"

"Birthday present." the human replied a little flatly, but he held a soft smile.

8 Likes

Captains Log, Stardate: 92300.1
It would appear that within the next few days the October will find itself back within the Terix blockade forces. I'm hardly ecstatic to be heading back into this frontier, especially following recent events. Speaking in regards to my three comrades, Captain Quint, Savage and Varley, I can't say I'd have acted any differently in their situation. I feel some slight guilt upon having left the blockade several hours earlier with the rotation October covered having caught up, but haven't been able to determine exactly what difference our presence would have made, bar adding an extra name to the court martial roster. The situation continues to evolve past my grasp, an uncomfortable feeling, but one I must just accept to be apart of at this late stage... On what I'd like to argue as being a more somber topic, I must now begin to prepare for the last of my Chief of Security's tactical scenarios to conclude within the next few hours. I find them unnecessary, however it appears to keep the crew both entertained and active during our layovers at Deep Space Thirteen.

• Captains Log, Supplemental
Under Lieutenant Jullietta's scenario control, I've been given several of my bridge officers as co-defenders of the October. I'm assuming the other team, being lead by Commander Klak'ton, will be mounting some form of assault on the designated sections of the ship under our control. While I appreciate the effort of Lieutenant Jullietta, I still can't help but feel this is a bit... much. I will be delegating each section a small party, and each party to be lead by the assigned bridge officers inside my team.

• Captains Log, Supplemental
It's taken 8 hours to complete the exercise, frankly a lot longer than I'd been expecting after such a fast start. While I regret not being able to assist my team positioned in medical, I wanted to note that I held no real tactical value on that deck, with simulated medical positions placed across the entire ship, the majority of which remained under my team's control for three quarters of the scenario. Concluding this, I believe the Lieutenant is pleased with her simulations, and I myself feel the exercise kept the majority of the participating crew occupied and alert. I don't believe I've had much time to get to know my more junior officers aboard ship, and this was a perfect opportunity, if anything.

RM-429-7592 WGL - Personal Log, Stardate: 92300.3
It's beeeeeen~ a pretty nice morning, in all. I had dinn- well, breakfast... well... I mean, I guess it was actually my dinner too... whatever... with Neema! If you'd... call it anything, actually. I'm not sure why I offered to cook, because, I was never any good at it. She didn't seem to overly mind, and we laughed about it, but... I do fear there will be a point where my clumsiness and overall... awkwardness will prove to become an an annoyance. Of course, I also feel that if I repeatedly bring up the fact I think I'm a mess, that'll just drive her further away too. I'm such a chore to hold any form of relationship with, especially now a days. She'll be coming aboard this week as we head back towards Terix, and it'd be unprofessional and completely wrong for me to say that I have completely agreed to taxi her there, just for her presence. Theeeen again, it has just occurred to me I'll have the Fleet's Second Officer aboard. I'll just... yeah, I'll just keep her off the bridge. Right? Anyway, Jullietta's drill is under wa- //RECORDING PAUSED//

STARDATE: 92300.3

DEDnJF6.png

Coby paused his more personal log at the chime, his arms coming back down to his sides away from the picture frame he'd just been aligning. A gift from 'Perim and Katriel, though it still sat just a little off center regardless of his previous efforts. A phaser sat lazily over his small personal table, the lights on the weapon were faded and otherwise dim or not-present. He smirked, glancing over the picture of the Trill and Betazoid and then turned. "Come.", he called.

The office doors hissed open, and in stepped a Bolian. His stature was quite large, his torso clearly of a man who regularly trained. Clad in an Enlisted excursion uniform, his gold shoulders proceeded to get just a little closer towards Coby. He smiled an almost practiced expression towards his Commanding Officer, "Captain Morton, I, uh." he pauses, straightening "Are you taking this one seriously, or? It's just... you seem to be a lot more..." the Bolian stopped, then resumed missing part of whatever he was saying "... than the last three drills."

Coby curled the corner of his mouth juuuust a fraction at the familiar man, the type of smile was one the Bolian had seen many times before, and was almost an answer in itself. Regardless, the Captain nodded "Of course, Mr. Be'tral." His eyes moving upwards towards the ceiling of his office, calling out "Computer..."

Spoiler: Play audio sample 30A, Side FourShow

The Bolian shook his head, his smile turning a little more genuine as he moved to take a seat near Morton.

4 Likes
tzeMYyj.png

The sound of the turbolift slowly whirred into a mental silence. As his lungs expanded with each breath, Coby’s eyelids continued to grow heavier and heavier. Perhaps it was just the exercise, or the clinging-sports attire he found himself suffocating in, that was causing him to feel so drained. His right hand rose towards his forehead and wiped the remaining beads of sweat from his burning skin before it moved towards the bulkhead, supporting the exhausted Human as he leant against it. He enjoyed playing against the Cadet, it made for a nice change to obtain a victory (regardless of how easy the Cadet may have been going on him), but he’d be lying if he didn’t miss his other regular tennis partner. A smirk cropped onto his face before he shook his head softly, the turbolift’s volume droned back into his ears.

A bright flare of light pierced through the opening doors, but was blocked almost immediately by the looming shadow of the Klingon Commander.

“The message is coming through your personal channel, Captain.” Klak’ton spoke with a softness that was only achieved rarely. Coby’s first officer held out a jacket effortlessly from its collar, one that was probably grabbed at random from the Captain’s office, and offered it towards him.

Coby nodded, moving a hand to take the offered jacket. His eyes still struggled to adjust to the light, but he had just about slotted both arms into the tunic before he was able to glance up towards the Klingon, “I’ll take it in my ready room. Inform me once the Gamma rotation has been completed. You won’t be getting any refusal from me tonight when relief reports to the bridge.” The Captain smirked, weakly, and proceeded to adjust his jacket into place with a sharp shoulder roll.

“Understood. Captain.” was all the Klingon replied, before stepping back a fraction.

With a couple of defensive blinks, Coby looked to his right, watching the current bridge crew tapping away at PADD’s and consoles. With the ship docked, the workload had been just standard testing and service, and the staffing was fairly light. He soon set off across the deck, heading towards to the opposite side of the currently excruciatingly bright bridge - he stopped, however, just in front of his chair. With a slow pivot forwards, he stared at the void of space through the idle viewscreen, then sent a glance upwards towards the large viewing-porthole above.

Eerie thoughts always crossed Coby’s mind when he considered what he sat under when in his chair, but the amount of time he’d spent aboard Deep Space Thirteen’s promenade seemed to have eased the stress significantly these past few years. The viewport had its uses though, he’d got a great view of the Arkhiaan arriving the other evening.He turned back towards his ready room, entering and heading straight for his terminal.

The screen flicked straight to the image of another Human. Clad in a white-shouldered tunic, the Captain on display possessed a darker complexion compared with Coby, and had a rough beard that was just about within regulation neatness. His brown eyes too soft to inflict the necessary sharpness the rest of his face was trying to emit.

“Morton.” the human started, “... I’ve heard you as one for childish informality, but your attire really speaks of the stature and integrity of your command. You’re lucky I don’t have much desire to submit complaint.”

Coby glanced up from the console, his eyes heading just straight ahead after he fought and won the internal battle not to roll them. As he returned his gaze, he put on a small smile. “Fleet Captain Vor. What an unexpected… pleasure. You just caught me on my way back from the holodeck.” Vor was well known to the crew of the October. His attitude was of a self-centered man. Dull, and to the point. He’d personally overseen a number of missions, acting as a near-superior to Captain zh’Aeregon, during the October’s initial departure from Task Force Argo. It was only when Coby received his temporary promotion that he himself actually had interaction with the man.

“It’s just Captain, now, Morton.” he replied, flatly. His voice was practically void of any emotion, rivalling that of a Vulcan. Following the loss of his vessel the U.S.S. Briz’el during the Iconian war, Vor was placed in temporary command of numerous pollution patrols, until a more suitable assignment opened up. “I don’t have time to exchange pleasantries with a man such as yourself. I have far more pressing matters, so I shall make this qui-”

“By all means, Captain.”

“I noticed you’re intending to attend the upcoming conference. I didn’t think you’d receive an invitation to be at Sulu’s table, let alone the interview stages.”

Coby fought quite valiantly to keep his feigned smile present, “I sincerely doubt Captain Sulu or all of his senior staff will be in attendance, Captain. I assumed it was merely going to be one of his administration teams.”

Vor’s jaw clicked left, his brow remained as furrowed as it was when he first appeared on the display screen. “So you intend to apply for the position, then.” Unlike Coby, Vor didn’t seem to care for the same level of restraint that he was showing, and so let out an audible tut.

“I haven’t quite decided, Captain.” he replied, taking a careful breath “I merely wished to accept the invitation. As I understand it, they’re looking for experience with the command structure, and looking for any assistance from third parties. If anything, I only wish to offer my advice in their decision, not apply for it myself. Besides, I know a number of my crew who would enjoy a few days in the system, let alone orbiting Earth itself, so I’m just looking forward to that, for them.”

“I intend to.” Vor replied, sharply, but still without little emotion or desire behind the words he spoke. “I doubt they’ll be overly interested in your knowledge or experience, based on their own surpassing yours already. I just assumed you received notice of the proceedings out of courtesy.”

The October’s captain clicked his tongue, tilting his head at the screen. “You’re probably correct, Captain. But needless to say, if I have an opportunity to add some of my own input, I’ll take the chance without question. Besides, I’m sure I’ll be able to put in a good word for you, while I’m there.”

Vor let out a laugh, “I won’t need such a gesture, Morton. I suppose I’ll be seeing you there, then. Don’t be too let down if you don’t get the audience as you’re expecting.”

“I’m not expecting anything, Captain. I don’t have an overly large interest in any of this outside of curiosity's sake, and as I’ve said a couple of times now, using the opportunity to provide some personal advice to my peers. Was there anything else, Captain Vor, or did you just wish to double-check my attendance?”

The Captain on the screen shook his head, “No, no. That’s all. I just wanted to primarily make sure you wouldn’t be too disheartened, but from the sounds of it you won't suffer too hard at the rejection. Disappointing, but I expected it from a man of your caliber. No drive at all.”

Coby bobbed his head some, then tilted his head “I’m fairly content where I am currently, Captain. It sits just a little higher than garbage scout, doesn’t it.”

Vor just twitched, his mouth about to open, before Coby continued.

“In honesty Captain, I do have just… a small question, before we conclude this.”

Vor nodded, once. “And what’s that, Morton.”

“I don’t overly understand your foul your conduct towards me. I show you the respect of the rank, I’d expect you to return the manner.”

Vor leant forward, grunting a snort. “Vor out.” Coby’s display screen returned abruptly to its screensaver.

"Welp, alrighty then... thanks for clearing that one up." Coby chirped to himself.

The Captain lent back into his chair for a moment, perplexed, as he shook his head and then looking to the ceiling of his ready room. Vor was just an unpleasant, aggressive and provoking individual. It's a wonder the man still remains in starfleet, or so Coby believed. He'd witnessed his fair share of officers recently that had made him question the manner of an officer. One being a close friend.

Eventually slicing into the silence, Coby's ready room's door chirped.

“Come.”

Klak’ton stepped into the center of the room, arms folding behind him. “I assume your conversation with Captain Vor went well, Captain.”

Coby snorted, letting out a quiet sigh “I genuinely don’t understand the man's problem, or how he retains a command of his own. With conduct like that, he truly rivals Eli.”

“That’s Captain Altais, is it not, Captain?”

“... yes, that’s him.”

Without continuing, Klak’ton straightened “Gamma rotation standing by to relieve, sir.”

Coby shook his head gently, snorting now at the sudden cancellation of Eli being the topic of conversation. “Understood Commander, thank you. I’ll see you in the morning, then.”

“Sir.” The Klingon bowed his head, then turned for the doorway back out onto the bridge.

The Captain pursed his lips, looking back towards the now blank console screen. He genuinely didn’t care of Vor’s opinion, nor did he believe he’d even recall the conversation with him he’d just had - but if he did, it’d make another interesting tale to tell Athini, at any rate. But he had another week before he’d need to make any decision regarding his upcoming trip to Earth Space Dock in any case. His eyes flicked up towards the wall, and at first he smiled as he looked over the picture of the Trill and Betazoid, but it faded just slightly as he continued to glance between the pair. He’d perhaps failed to mention anything properly regarding his visit to Sol with one of them, and he’d probably miss the chance to speak with her in person regarding it before the October made way.

Typical of his luck, that. Coby eye’d the blank console with intent, but made no move to reactivate it. A subspace call could always wait until the morning, regardless of how much he wanted to bug the Trill right now; Coby shut his eyelids, slumping just a little further into his chair as he began to rest his eyes... just for a moment, before restlessly sitting forward. His hand finally moved towards the console but with some minor hesitation. At first he began to slide down his contacts list, he got as far as surnames beginning with F before he refreshed his slide, and just clicked on his favorites tab. He couldn't help but smile faintly as he saw the name he was after, tapping it.
8 Likes
cc2XThO.png

The Trill yawned, "Mm, I'm sorry Coby, I need to get some sleep. I've been..." and then paused for the briefest of moments, tapping the PADD in her hands against her leg. "Staring at the same few sentences for... I don't even know how long. Should've followed Katriel's lead, I think." Coby's soft smile grew another fraction wider, warming as the two shared a quiet chuckle.

"I'll drop down in just a little while? I've still got a coooouple more hours on duty, technically. It's just a little too quiet aboard ship, for me. I promise to do my best and not wake you."

She waved a hand as she clambered to her feet, "Don't let me sleep away all your off-duty time, okay? Wake me for lunch."

As she straightened, a smile smile grew and Coby offered a simple, but soft, nod as he pushed himself out of his own chair. The mug in his hand went gently towards the table before he grinned. "Can count on it." and he stepped forward, pausing just to glance over her shoulder, before moving to embrace the Trill between his arms.

She grinned in return, squeezing into the hug with another smile, "Good," and murmuring, "See you in the ... morning."

He watched her leave, his eyes staying on her until she passed behind one of the supports and he offered a final wave, before sinking back into a chair usually occupied by a Betazoid. Coby stared at his mug for a long moment, he was sitting there with no PADD, a half empty and probably lukewarm tea as well as now sitting in a near empty cantina, after wanting to escape the October because it was too quiet. He couldn't help but laugh out, at that. His body rocking before he reached for the cool tea, then sliding out the chair once again and pushing up against the railing beside the table set.

With his friendship with Eli all but destroyed currently, Coby didn't have that many people aboard station he could drop in on any longer. Since his return he'd certainly taken to keeping to himself, which wasn't bad, but it left him feeling a little empty at certain times. He'd spoken with a number of the Romulan contingent, recently, and after having a similar discussion with a certain Captain Parsons, he'd realized how closed he'd become. Admittedly, the Aldebaran whiskey bottle he had sitting in the Trill's quarters suddenly became a little more appealing, but he'd had enough of that after stepping away from Parsons.

He slide open the cap and took a sip from his tumbler, to his surprise he didn't find the tea too cold.

"Captain Morton?"

He puffed his cheeks, quickly turning a glance left and over the rim of his tumbler. "Hmm~?" In front of Coby stood a Human, male. His hair was of a similar style to the Captain's own only a silver and his height wasn't much shorter. His face looked good for man in his 80's, Coby's eyes went to the collar of the blue-trimmed uniform, "What can I do for you, Commander?"

The Lieutenant Commander's cheeks flushed a brief smile, but it quickly disappeared as he handed the PADD forward and began his response. "Forgive the interruption my good man. Doctor Frederick Burd, I've just arrived aboard. I'm one of your recent... transfers from the Edgmond, Captain."

Coby's smile grew and he turned to the Lieutenant Commander, "Doctor! My apologies, I'd have been aboard to greet you if I'd have known your transport had arrived... early." his mug lowered, with his free hand moving to take the PADD. "Your wife... is expected in a couple more days, I believe?"

The Doctor grinned, nodding "Oh, yes sir. She's enroute from Sol, so she should be here any day soon."

"Well, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. We're not scheduled for any Five Year missions as of yet, so."

"Aha! Well, here's hoping, Captain. I'm looking forward to just being out on the frontier, wind in our hair, as it were. This nasty business with the Klingons, then the Undine... Iconians, it's all been a bit of a drag in honesty."

The Captain winced slightly, but smirked soon after "Well, you're in luck, in that respect Captain. I'm waiting to hear from the Captains in the squadron, exploration is certainly something we're getting back into Doctor."

"So I heard, Captai-" the Doctor suddenly erupted into a couple of coughs. His hand rising to his mouth until he was able to speak, "... please accept my apologies Captain."

"Oh, none needed Doctor, don't be silly."

The Doctor continued, "But yes, so I've been hearing! I'm looking forward to working with you, sir. I've heard not only good things about the 38th Fleet..." his voice turning a little playful, "... but also about the October!"

"Well, Doctor, that's certainly one way to get into a Captain's good books." The Captain smirked, letting out a quiet chuckle from behind his mug.

"Of course, at my age you do pick up on all the tricks."

"I don't doubt that, I don't doubt that one bit." Coby paused, the Doctor having another small coughing fit, pursing his lips "... so have you been assigned away from your wife long, Doctor?"

"Just these past two years, Captain. But we've certainly made time to see eachother. We're just glad we'll be together for our anniversary this year. Subspace doesn't quite do it justice, does it?"

"How long, might I ask?" smirking softly.

"Coming up to our fifty-second, this year. Just a couple of months away."

"Congratulations if I don't get chance, Doctor." the pair exchanged a brief chuckle between them, Coby bobbing his head but the Doctor began coughing once more "... everything alright~?"

"... oh, yes. I've just not been feeling myself these past couple of days. You'll forgive me sir, I was intending to head to medical following our meeting?"

"Oh, of course Doctor. Don't let me keep you."

"Thank you, jolly good to meet you Cap-" his voice again interrupted with a cough, "-ptain. Hmmf, something certainly tickling the back of my throat, it seems!"

Coby smiled, and offered a soft nod to the departing man before he turned back towards the railing. Quietness once again fell, and Coby's mug found its way back towards his lips. Only another two hours to go until he could retire, and yet that seemed to feel like an eternity presently. But, he had a cushion fort to look forward to.

7 Likes
6iNdu2e.png
Captain's Log, Stardate: 92594.3
After the troubling communique from Shranel ch'Aeregon, a sibling of a well known former Captain of this vessel, the October has set a course for the Andorian system. While our conversation didn't last long, Shranel's urgency for myself and several senior officers' presence has felt rather unnerving, and between myself and my staff, has left us feeling rather confused. The October is roughly four hours out from Andoria, where we'll be able to lay this abrupt mystery to rest.

Captain's Log, Supplemental
The October has arrived in the Andorian system to be met by the battle-cruiser Alesinde. Several attempts at hailing the vessel have proven unsuccessful, however we've just recently received a text-only request for myself and Doctor Lagotoa to beam aboard. While highly suspicious of this irregular behaviour, we've certainly no reason to consider the vessel or her crew's intentions as harmful. I'll be heading to join the good doctor in transporter room two, shortly.

Executive Officer's log, Stardate 92597.1
After warping out from the system, we've been able to locate the battle-cruiser Alesinde at warp six. Currently I have ordered this vessel on an intercept course.

Captain's Log, Supplemental
Thanks to the efforts of Commander Klak'ton and the crew of the October, Doctor Lagotoa and myself have been brought back aboard ship with little injury. The commander of the Andorian vessel, Gral th'Regral, is currently in custody awaiting transport from the Andorian Imperial Guard. Shranel is residing voluntarily in the brig, however I personally don't intend to press charges against a mistake, and expect his release imminently.

Coby's quarters had been... neglected, recently. Perhaps an idea for an upcoming date, he was sure there was nothing better that the Trill would love to have a go at than clean through the Captain's quarters aboard the USS October. Regardless, Coby'd ushered the young Andorian into the room. The lights flicking on automatically, adjusting to a rather low lighting level with the flashing starfield glowing through the window as the ship made way for DS13. The atmosphere was dark, the room silent for a long moment as Coby took slow, heavy steps around the room. A couple of model starships lay un-completed on a small coffee table, but he instead diverted towards the window along the back of the quarters.

"She was always a pain, you know." the Captain began, slumping down onto the sofa against the larger window pane.

"... doesn't seem hard to believe." Shranel replied, taking to the same sofa delicately. He'd only spent a couple of hours in the brig, but that had been enough to give him some perspective on the comforts available to law-abiding citizens. Trouble making wasn't his natural forte.

"She ever tell you about our brief tour on Helaspont station?"

"She didn't often speak of you in recent years, in honesty."

"Oh. Well, I can imagine why. We'd hardly been all that close recently."

"And why is that?"

"You go from seeing someone nearly everyday for 12 years, and then suddenly to not at all - it puts some strain on a friendship."

"Was that all it was?"

"Oh, no." Coby replied, quickly.

"... so you admit there was more between the two of you?"

The Captain smiled, his hand rising to his collar and beginning to unzip his tunic lethargically, "Of course. Your sister was the closest to having a sibling I'll ever have."

"That's not what I meant." the Andorian grunted.

"I know what you meant, and no."

Shranel tilted his head, a little confused, "... was there a reason?"

"You wouldn't understand, it's a little hard to put into words, I suppose."

"Try me. Please."

"There's certain people you form bonds with. These bonds go beyond simple friendship, or even romantic intentions. Just because she wasn't family, or because I wasn't romantically attracted to her, doesn't mean I didn't love her. Or have feelings for her. They just weren't those types of feelings."

"That doesn't... really answer my question, I asked why you didn't feel that way."

"I sort-of answered it just before, though. She was more than just a friend, and I've viewed her as a sibling ever since. A romance between us would have distorted that, and was something I know neither of us wanted. There's some things that just aren't worth sacrificing when you know of ... some certainties."

"Isn't that the same with all relationships, though? Are you currently involved with anyone?"

"... well, yes. But... it's like I say, I struggle to put it into words. We always knew that things wouldn't work. It was simple. With other people, and... ..."

"What?"

The human chuckled, shaking his head gently. "Nothing, sorry. I was just thinking of someone."

"About her?"

"Hah, no. Well, yes, of course, but not at that exact moment. I suppose you're... on the right lines there, actually. There's never a certainty of failure, and that's what drives us to follow up with those interests, Shranel. If it doesn't work out, it will have its reasons."

"Do you regret it, then?"

"Uh, regret it? If you mean... ... no, I don't."

"Why?"

Coby couldn't help but snort yet again, tilting his head gently with a wide grin, "... why~ all the questions, ch'Aeregon."

"I just... want to know what she was like, to her friends. I mean, you were really her only one."

"That's not true."

"Well, no. But you were the one she most cared for."

"... I'll agree to that one. I'm fairly great, I know." and he smirked fairly sheepishly, eyeing the Andorian boy.

"Pinkskins."

"Oi."

"Sorry." Shranel paused, his eyes sinking into the sofa as his voice grew apologetic. "That'd be my-"

"-Father's side, I know." Coby chirped in, "She loved you, you know. Her family. The one constant in her life."

"And we loved her..." the boy's eyes glistened, his brow soft as he averted his gaze anywhere but the slouched Human Starfleet Officer.

The Human then smiled faintly, nodding a couple of times before his own eyes followed Shranel's out to the stars "... we did."

5 Likes
7tby8Ih.png
Spoiler: STARDATE: 91759.4Show
Deprived of its usual life, the U.S.S. Oswestry’s almost barren shuttle bay began the automated preparation for an incoming shuttlepod. With a thorough inspection of the majority of the ships systems underway, a large population of the vessels crew had taken temporary residence aboard DS13, with a number already taking up reassignment among ships of the fleet. The sound of automatic pistons and hydraulic shifters hauled open the reinforced doors, the floor space in front sliding into position ready to accept the small craft currently entering through the atmospheric force fields. With a clunk, the type-10 shuttle pod Continuity had clamped itself to the deck.

The rear of the shuttlepod lowered itself onto the stripped decking of the Oswestry’s shuttlebay, allowing the feminine frame of a Star Fleet officer to disembark the small craft. Her hair, considerably darker than her complexion, lay tied in a small bun behind her head, keeping the lines of her Federation Standard uniform visible, as well as the two bars on her tunic’s collar. By no means a short woman, she didn’t have much need to duck her head as she completely cleared the Continuity.

“Welcome aboard~!” Called a voice, the average built human man that’d just appeared out of apparent thin air gave the recent arrival a shock, though she wouldn’t allow her body or voice to betray her quite enough to reveal the fright on her face. The man in front of her stood with both hands slumped inside his uniform bottoms pockets. She eyed him carefully, then silently clearing her throat she proceeded;
“Lieutenant Thompson, Alex Thompson. U.S.S. October. I’m here to take a once over of the ships astrometrics. I believe I was requested by a … Captain Morton?” her eyes moved down towards her hands, almost expecting to see the PADD she’d left behind aboard the October.

“That you are, Lieutenant! Thought I’d ask you to take a look. Just a quick once over, see if you can’t find anything out of place or of importance that the other tech teams have left behind.” Coby grinned, watching the young woman’s features as she took in the Captains demeanour.

“Captain… Morton?” she asked, sheepishly.

“Aye, Lieutenant. You, uh, alright?”

“No, uh, yessir. I just didn’t expect you to meet me directly, sir.“ Coby’s hand gave a faint wave as it slid out of his pocket, soon darting back in once he’d cut her voice.

"Sssh~! Don’t worry about it Lieutenant. Other than whatever is left of Mr. Brotla’s engineering teams… I’m pretty much the only one aboard… just getting the last of my things really. So with the majority of my ‘welcome-aboard’ staff currently either on the station, or being reassigned, I thought I owed it to you to make sure you got the proper welcome. Though actually… I think I’ve let you down… I think there’s usually party confetti, or… something thrown. I don’t have any. Sorry.”

Perhaps it was the Captains words, or just his chirp, but she was struggling to keep the baffled expression from her face, even for the sake of politeness. “No, don’t worry Captain, none of that would have been necessary. I’m just here to look into some b-" her voice being suddenly cut in half once again.

"I mean, I can get some confetti, if you like. Just a quick trip to the replicator. I don't mind."

"-asic maintenance... before the ship is due to head to ‘Planitia, as you requested Though I'll be honest I'm not sure I'll find anything." she paused, staring at the man before her and just blinking "No, Captain, it's quite alright.”

“Actually, I’m not even sure the replicators are even still online. But.” Coby shrugs. “Well, in any case, shall we?” his body turning slightly, almost making a move towards the local turbolift on his left.

“I don’t follow, Captain?” shifting her wait for just a moment as her arms folded behind her back.

“… Astrometrics? I thought that's where you were heading?” replied the Captain, his brow rising a little as if he assumed his shoulder nudge towards the turbolift should have been enough.

“Oh, sorry, Captain. I assumed I’d be making my own way there.”

“… we totally have a buddy system in place for guests aboard this ship - whatever's left of it, Lieutenant, don’t worry. I’m a fantastic helper. What sort of buddy would I be if I didn’t show you the way?”

“Right, thank you, Captain.” She gave Coby an odd expression as she edged closer to him, landing almost beside him before he began to set off towards the turbolift. It seemed peculiar, almost eerie perhaps, as they walked across the silent shuttle-bay. The faint hum almost continuously present aboard the ships she'd served wasn't present, and something about the clear sound of footsteps on the deck plating... she didn't quite like it. Though the Captain in front seemed to be enjoying the walk. With a quiet ssshhhhwop, the turbolift doors encased them in the reasonably roomy capsule.

"I like your hair." he said, without looking to her.

The Lieutenant's face twitched, her eyes moving back towards Coby "Thank... you?" perplexed, she once again resumed her silence in the hope there'd be minimal chatter until they reach their destination. Though a little jarringly, the Captain beside her chirped up once more.

"Suits your complexion, I can see Klak'ton with that, actually. Would suit him." he grinned, still keeping his eyes forward.

The woman let out a faint chuckle, however forced it might have sounded was only intensified by the close quarters acoustics of the turbolift. realizing this, she added "Yes, quite so, Captain. Though I doubt he'd see it quite the same way." to mask it as best she could. "He's been keeping himself prime for the arrival of Captain zh'Aeregon's replacement."

Coby's eyes moved to her, but only for a moment as his grin turned into another larger smile "I bet he has, heh." looking back towards the doors. "I bet he hated the idea that she was leaving him behind, for a Klingon, he certainly hates promotion. Y'know... when he was first assigned, as my tactical officer back when, I practically had to order him to put in for it. He knew the ships systems almost as well as Thys', and after..." he pauses, there was something about his face that suddenly turned sad, though it wasn't too visible to the Lieutenant beside him, or at least he hoped. "... I had to assign a new tactical officer." his smile fading back slowly "Bet he can't wait to be relieved since she's swanning off to Stafford Station or... whatever it's called."

"I really couldn't comment, sir." not knowing the Commander all that well in person anyway. She was still unsure exactly why she was here, but it's not like she had anything else to do. Only so many times you can frequent the station's cantina and miss your chance to take a decent seat due to some blue-haired Kentral, Ken...tril? Whatever.

As the turbolift doors slide open, Coby instantly stepped out into the narrow corridors of the ship. It didn't look much of an astrometrics to her, but Alex wasn't all that familiar with the Galaxy class layout, so followed Coby until he arrived at a doorway. With a quick stride, the Captain entered through the arch and into what appeared to be slightly larger than average crew quarters. Empty crew quarters, at that. Confusion suddenly hit the Lieutenant as she came to a sharp stop just shy of entering the room.

"Captain?" she called.

Soon reappearing around the corner, Coby suddenly offered the Lieutenant a box. About shoulder width apart and not too tall, but it seemed to have a number of oddities peaking out of the top of it, a snow globe, some PADD's and the odd picture frame. "Sorry! Seems we've gotten reaaaally lost, huh. But while we're here, might as well just..." and once again disappearing behind the corner. Unsure exactly what to do, Alex stood there almost frozen in the doorway, holding the box and occasionally sparing a glance up and down the empty corridors.

"I'm sorry, Captain?" she called, a little frustrated that she'd come all this way.

"Thanks!" he says, coming towards her and placing a small PADD on top of the box, making sure it's positioned just so she can see the screen, not that she bothers to look at it, not even a glance out of curiosity. Almost glaring towards Coby, she opens her mouth but doesn't quite say what she was about to, instead softening her face.

"Forgive me, Captain, but astrometrics?" taking slow, deep, breaths.

"Oh, uh. We can head there later Lieutenant. I mean, you don't mind do you? But! I figured seeing as you're here and I've got two boxes left..., assumed you wouldn't mind giving me a hand as we pass by - can get it done in one trip! But I also wanted to ask you about this!" he says, tapping the side of the PADD. Her eyes slowly moved to scan over whatever was on the screen, but soon taking more time to read through the application form that had appeared there.

"I don't follow?"

"Oh, sorry, did I misspell it? Didn't want to use just a boring template... It's meant to say 'configuration', Lieutenant." getting ready to lean forward towards the PADD, just in case he'd made a horrific typo.

"No, it's... I understand, and I suppose I'm quite flattered to be offered such a position, but, the Oswestry is due to be decom-" once again, being cut off just before she could finish.

"It's for the 'October." replied the Captain, tapping the screen near the top, then soon bending down to grab a box already on the inside of the door. He let a slight groan out as he hauled it back up towards his chest, "With the refit and the number of labs now present, Commander Quonick asked for a Second to help her out, how she's managed to not appoint anyone herself in the past 6 months with 'Brakeway retiring..."

"Pardon me?" she said, her lower body still frozen below her neck as she keeps the box stable. "I believe the Commander would have approached me herself, Captain, if this were the case. There's a far larger roster of people who are more than capable of filling this position, and I'm sure she's already selected a candidate." her face quite clearly frowning as she grow tired of the Captain infront of her "Look, with all respect sir, if there's nothing I can do for you, I'll be taking my leave and returning to my duties."

Coby just smiled "Don't be so grumpy, Lieutenant. I like spending time to get to know my senior staff, I thought this would have been a nice way of introducing myself to you. Besides, it's not exactly an official position just yet – just you'll be helping her out by spreading the duties between the two of you. Like, I'm sure I'll come up with a fantastic title for you at some point."

Alex blinked, though something in her head suddenly clicked. Her face softened a little, the man was either a complete idiot, just testing her patience on purpose or jarringly insane. "I assume these will be heading back with me, then."

"Does that mean you accept?"

"I will speak with Commander Quonick, if you don't mind, sir."

"That's fair." he said, still smiling, as the two began to head back towards the turbolift. Coby spared another glance around the quarters just before the doors clasped shut behind him on his way towards the lift.

"For the record, Captain. Commander Klak'ton hasn't released the name of the new Captain."

Coby paused, "No need to introduce an old Captain."

PRESENT
The dinky escort's crew sounded a final boarding notice over the local ship-communication system - the monotone drone of Lieutenant Commander Savoke was hardly an inviting tone, but none the less the science officer continued toward the 'Shrewsbury with the Captain.

"Just remember once the Bolian wins, he's going to never let it go, sir. So just watch your step around him." she said, sternly. The rucksack over her shoulder was adjusted with a faint nudge against the bulkhead, her free hand moving a newly found stray hair out of her face. "And if Commander Quonick even mentions the advice I told you about, just completely ignore it."

"Yussir." Coby replied, simply, with a nod.

Alex smiled, glanced over her shoulder, then back towards Coby with a raised brow "Permission to speak freely, Captain."

"Pfft, denied." he said dryly.

"I've met some real wacko's in my time, Coby." she began anyway, "But truly none meet the bar that you've set mentally for me in life now."

"Should've seen me in the ol' days Lie- Commander," he corrected, "Was a super shy stick-to-myself type guy."

"Still a few weeks till it's official - and I'm sure you were, though in fairness you've seemed to have calmed down this past year opposed to the first tour, so I can't complain as much as I might want to about your conduct as my commanding officer."

"Do it, I'd love to see a decent reprimand on my record for once, make me feel like one of the cool Captain's in this fleet."

"Decent reprimand." the science officer repeated, shaking her head gently before her body straightens upwards "Thank you, sir."

Coby smiled faintly, nodding some, "Don't be, was your own merit - only wish you'd have accepted my offer instead, Klak'ton's leaving in just under three months."

"Not yet." is all she says, again giving her backpack a slight readjustment before offering a rare smile, and without another word, she headed into the acquarius' passenger corridor fading out of sight.

The airlock sealed shut, and with a swoosh, the October's child was just about ready to depart. Coby grinned to himself, glancing to the deck as he shook his head. As he spun around on his heel he began to waltz down the hallway until being rather quickly ambushed by a pacey Lieutenant, "Oh, Sir. I was just on my way to the bridge - That old guy you asked me about? Yeah, I think he not long departed the station? At least I've not seen him around since the other night. I can look more into it if you like? But just assumed you wanted it to be casu-"

Coby nodded just a single time, "Thanks Harry, I appreciate it, but don't worry about it."

"No problem skipper, if you need anything else, I'll be on the bridge, sir."

"As you were, 'an all that." Coby's smile faded a fraction, but his mind was too preoccupied on finding the perfect candidate for his new XO' to be worried about anything else currently.

8 Likes
nBkpI6K.png
Coby let out a sigh, it wasn't long or exasperated but a nice, short and near-silent one. Having arrived a couple of days earlier Coby'd made himself fairly at home, as he always did, in the quietness of the bar however he'd managed to make a couple of new acquaintances the night before. He'd already begun walking back towards the bar, the newly friended Klingon pair had long left his company and were already across the promenade walkway.

A nice couple, Coby thought, but he'd lost track of most of what they'd been saying by the time he'd got halfway through the green bottle he now found himself holding. A laugh escaped Coby's lips, but even he wasn't sure why it slipped out so he just continued his journey towards the counter. It was probably time to swap back to a refreshing strawberry 'shake, but that was a decision that could probably wait just another couple of mouthfuls later. The light almost blinded him as he stepped towards the outside bar-patio, and across the water he spotted a couple of familiar faces. The Romulan was there talking to her favourite Ops officer, and he thought he saw one of the recently wed and the usual suspects surrounding the upstairs bar, but it was just a little too far from his sight to make out the group.

Another sigh crept through his barely parted lips, a little more audible than previously, but was quickly silenced by the bottle being lifted back towards his lips - another long mouthful gave him the encouragement to at least start thinking about some more social interaction. Back in the day he was hardly one to be quiet, but those were different times. The majority of his friends had long moved on, and within the past year he'd purposely began trying to distance himself.

Fraternization was something he'd always loved about Argo, the 38th. He'd been through several assignments before the fleet, but none never felt as proper. The comradeship, the general atmosphere. But being close to people was hard for him, especially since his return to the fleet following the war. His best friend's death, an Andorian called Athini, took a fairly heavy toll on the Captains heart and aside from a small social circle he refused to get as close with many again, especially his subordinates. The only other person close to Athini, an ancient Captain who'd not long retired to be some archaeologist, had disappeared from his life too. He had rare experiences with the deaths of people close to him, not that they're ever easy for everyone else, but there was nothing he could do to help himself cope. His time with the Trill soothed the Andorian's death well, and Coby was grateful for that. The Captain glanced down to the worn, sand-blasted high-top pumps covering his feet. He lifted his foot, the trouser leg rising just enough to reveal the 38th Fleets logo branded on the inside of his ankle, and he smiled warmly.

He was drunk, on Risa and the dawn was already upon him. There was a group of strangers on his way to the rest of the 38th folk, Time to make some new friends, he thought.

RIGQhbi.png
10 Likes
z8Mbeoa.png

STARDATE: 93506.7
(July 4 2416 10:51am O-ST)

With an abrupt flicker, the imprisoning beam emitted from the October released the small warp-capable trading vessel. The Antholo's Dream slowly brightened into life as the portholes fluttered with light, the ships power began to flow uninterrupted once again. Commander Saer sighed. In front of her floated one of the October's holographic displays, a diagram showing the Antholo's Dream and its internal auxiliary power grid like veins in a hand - or at least there was a holographic display until her right hand clawed through it, fizzling the power grid display away.

The October had been tracking a pair of destroyers wanted in an ongoing trafficking investigation, a detour from their ongoing assignment into uncharted space so the crew welcomed the initial slight sense of familiarity, with the exception of Commander Saer. Following a brief misunderstanding with the Echomet Guard while passing through Kelterre sector, the October had followed the two destroyers deep into the Doza sector.

The October's new Executive Officer, coming in from a 2 year tour aboard the Victory, had done little to settle herself in among the rest of the senior crew. She'd already had several clashes with the department heads over adaptations made to the shift rotations, but endeavored to maintain an efficient vessel over her predecessor's somewhat slack attitude with Captain Morton's methods. Her head snapped to the right as the ready-room doors hissed open, the Captain's pumps replaced with regulation boots and his face holding an unrecognizable frown. Behind him and almost escorting him across the bridge were two humanoids, pilots from the Antholo's Dream, heading towards the turbolift. The taller one on the left was bald, his skin a translucent blue but was mostly covered by a ragged brown duster, a scarf over his mouth. On the right, almost touching the Captain, was a slightly shorter woman - her skin was a simple pale pink with a green tribal-like tattoo on her cheek. Her clothes were slightly more straight, an almost suit like blue jacket with baggy bottoms and boots underneath.

Security on the bridge became unsettled, but quickly stood down following a faint wave of the Captain's hand.

Coby's eyes narrowed, eyeing the Orion Commander and nodded once; "Bridge is yours, Commander, maintain position and keep scanning communications. Myself, Lieutenant Commander Sarop and a small engineering team are going to beam across to the Antholo's Dream and offer whatever assistance we can to repair the damage we've apparently caused them."

The pale skinned woman visibly grimaced, now looking from the Orion back to Coby "Apparently?"

Coby smiled, it seemed sharp "Oh, probably just the universal translator..." he said, tapping his combadge gently. "... lagging somewhat, apparently is just a word we throw into place as a filler sometimes, apparently." He forced a brief laugh, "See?" with his smile dropping quickly as he moved to continue. The woman's lip curled slightly, but she simply grunted in response. The taller man had remained looking ahead at the turbolift, seemingly ignoring the conversation.

"Uh, ..." The Orion was a stoic on duty, but having had to get used to Coby's chirp aboard ship she was almost taken back. "Aye sir, when can we expect you back?"

"You can expect your Captain and your engineering team back once we're satisfied with the repairs. We have plenty of food to spare, so do not... concern yourself." the woman pilot cut back in, Coby's smile appeared again as he looked back towards his XO, and again the other pilot remained disengaged.

"See, Commander, they have plenty of food. We'll be fine!"

"Right. Aye sir." the Orion acknowledged, and offered a simple nod to the three as they disappeared behind the turbolift doors. The Orion hadn't noticed any of the emergency signals, no hand movements, no morse-code blinks - and while still reluctant to allow the Captain to leave the ship, simply offered another sigh. "Mister Jo...nez?" she called out towards the Lieutenant at one of the communication stations ahead.

"Oh, pardon, Jones - sir." he replied, a little nervously. He was a short chap, not a regular at the station but since offering one of the Captain's favourite Cadets a go at the console, he'd organised for more universal training to be undertaken by those interested. Taking a leaf out of DS13's book, apparently.

Saer felt a little blood rushing into her cheeks, but she bit her tongue and continued without correction "- Let me know once the Captain and 'commander Sarop's team have successfully beamed aboard the Antholo's Dream." The Lieutenant nodded, turning back around in his swivel chair and continued his ongoing scanning - a new window on his console opening with the transporter status. The Orion pursed her lips, looking ahead at the blank view screen and moving over the wide bridge to meet the gorn and the doctor.

"Ssssss~aer, interessss~ting pair of friendssss~ the Captain made today, yessss~?"

"Quite, Ambassador." Saer said with a faint tilt of her head, then glancing towards the Trill - "Doctor, do you have a moment?"

The Trill took a breath, inclining her head almost apologetically towards the gorn and turned towards her executive officer. "Commander." she said, almost flatly if it wasn't for a faint twang added with her 'r'. "What can I do for you, in need of an... emergency suppressor?"

The Orion forced a grin, "I'm quite alright, thankyou. I simply wished to ask you a couple of things in the ready room, if you don't mind - Ambassador?"

"By all meansssss~, feel free." The Orion and Trill shared a glance then made way for the ready room across the bridge. The gorn watched the pair leave, and shared a glance with both his escorts either side of him. "Time for ssssss~omething to refuel, I think. Either of you have any.... preference.... today?" the two security officers confirmed a pleasant spot with the ambassador and made way for the furthest turbolift. The gorn, while almost at the lift, stopped to cast a gaze through the window at the trading ship - then moving forward off of the bridge.

Lieutenant Commander Presland stood up from his console at the rear of the bridge, quite a distance away, and almost automatically took the center seat on the bridge's raised platform. His hands sliding across the panel on his right, signing into the chair as he took the bridge. Another recent transfer to the ship, he'd made much more of an active role to integrate himself with the crew. He'd already attended a number of the hosted senior officer poker nights and brought with him a family of three, his wife and two sons. His youngest, Warren, was 6 and already integrated into the on board school system.

"Oh, uh- ... 'commander." Jones perked up, looking over his shoulder at Presland.

The Lieutenant Commander smiled faintly for a moment, "Yes, Lieutenant."

"The Captain and party has just transported over - shall I inform Commander Saer?"

"Patch the notice through, thankyou."

"Aye sir."

---

The bridge was quiet, the standard bleeps and pings filled the air while the bridge simply carried out their daily duties. The comm' station buzzed with Jones' hands scanning local chatter for any signs of the two destroyers they were hunting, but his silence was only confirmation of finding nothing so far. Lieutenant Commander Presland sat upright in the chair, a small worn paperback in his hand kept him busy outside of his occasional checkup on the bridge - Le Pont de la Rivière Kwai.

The ready-room doors suddenly slid apart as an intrigued Chief Medical Officer stepped out, already making a hasty walk towards the nearest turbolift. "Lagotoa to medlab two." she called, already having tapped her badge just as the turbolift departed.

Commander Saer soon followed, but heading towards the command platform to relieve Presland of the chair. "Thank you, 'commander."

"Sir." was all he replied initially, standing up from his chair and straightening his duty tunic. "All quiet, the Captain and Commander Sarop just checked in - apparently they'll be a little longer than they expected. Didn't provide an ETA."

"Apparently." was all the Orion replied, glancing towards Presland with a nod ready to take the seat. "I received some information about one of the victims we picked up from Sargo IV, a blood trace on a partition across the bulkhead on deck 2 - seems we have a match with one of our own passengers, so Doctor Lagotoa is ana-" her words being cut off by Lieutenant Talerico's voice calling through her combadge. She was only in the CIC, a mere 20 second walk down the steps at the front of the bridge but most saved the walk by simply calling over the comms.

"Sorry, Commander - I really don't mean to interrupt, but I think... you and 'commander Presland might want to take a look at this ..." she said, gently. The pair on the command platform shared an arched brow, the Orion promptly standing and making her way down into the CIC with Presland. As they arrived, Talerico brought up her personal consoles display on one of the larger overhead screens. "... I'm trying to work out what this thing is, but it... seems to have piggybacked across using our tractor beam energy, slapped harmlessly straight into one of our low-band firewalls. Sirs, it's... Well. Take a look."

6 Likes
75CbH7N.png

"Captains Personal Log, Stardate: 94505.2 ..." The Captain started, he'd already settled into the bare-metal frame of his stripped ready room's chair as his left hand landed the PADD into his lap. With a quick slurp from his steaming mug held in his right, his eyes grazed over the four blank walls ahead of his desk. "Repairs to the 'October are mostly complete, it's taken a good five months but the ship is finally back to operational status." The lights, dim as they were, flickered frantically for short moment "... well, there's that mostly." He let a faint snort escape his nose, though it didn't hold much humour.

"It seems like an eternity since the ship has last been at Deep Space Thirteen." Coby paused, "... it seems like an eternity since I've been here. I look out of this porthole and I get a near window-full of station. Part of me recognizes this as my old home. A past command. A deployment. The past." he took a breath, "Times always change, but this time... this time it's been different. Since my return to duty earlier this year I've felt a strange distance from here. A couple of years ago I was homesick, I wouldn't imagine being posted anywhere else. Nor any other assignment. Now? Now I'm scared to return. The ship's repairs have been enough of an excuse to keep me away, but here I am now. It's not that I don't miss my... friends here, or the daily scuffle aboard... but. Perhaps it was the time I spent recovering, perhaps ... I'm just changing." Coby's eyes slid around the porthole window, now watching several of the vessels floating effortless alongside the October.

Close by was one of the fleets Jupiter's, he guessed which one but didn't make the effort to look for markings - further away sat the station's easily recognisable pair, along with a familiar Sovereign. However it was the other ships Coby squinted at, nothing immediately sprung to his mind as he traced their outlines in the distance.

"... It's always funny, in any case, coming back. You see the few familiar faces that recognise you, say hello. Though each voyage back that number starts to drop. Never was good at keeping in close contact, especially when being away. Suppose that's why me and Neema didn't quite work, no matter how much I wanted that to. I hope she's okay." The Captain paused again, taking a large mouthful from his mug as he pondered for a moment. "Vice Admiral." The Captain smiled faintly, resuming "There's a couple of people I want to check in on, if they're still around. Awaiting for Captain Quint to forward assignments through ... yeah, it's weird being back in the middle of the roster rather than at the top of it... so should have plenty of time to drop in on them."

"As for the ship... as I say, it's mostly back to spec. Lot of the interior work still needs completing but that's mostly comforts... it's about time I got my things back out of storage, speaking of. Operationally the ship is fit for patrol duties and light combat should it be required, but this whole... thing... with the Hur'q. Riled up a lot of people it seems. Risa's out of the way this year, for the time being it seems. Shame... but, shore leave is the last thing I need right now anyway."

After another short pause, Coby smiled weakly and leaned further into his uncomfortable, cushion-less chair - a brief glance to his wrist chronometer and he was already setting straight back up again "... Wonder if Mr. Gaal's still doing milkshakes."
12 Likes