Free Games for Those That Want Them

Yeet

1 Like

This post is now blank. Go to the first one!

oh my, my cousin has been pestering me to get Mordhau… please can I get this, oh festive goose?

1 Like

my good goose, may i kindly obtain beyond the wire?

actually, may i please have that resistance game

1 Like

Lacuna looks fantastic, if it’s still available!

1 Like

All three sent across Discord, I’ve updated the very first page and am starting to update from there, so check right at the top now please!

I would appreciate Pillars of the Earth, it’s been a wishlist item of mine for a while.
It turns out I have this on Epic! Never mind!

Also, I have some recommendations for others who are interested in a game but not sure what to pick:

House Flipper
This is nice, chill time for people who watch too much HGTV. The gameplay is a little simplistic but I think that’s ultimately in service to the vibe, which is supposed to be relaxing and satisfying as you turn these broken down nightmare properties into real homes. One of those games where you get back out of it what you put in.

Wandersong
This is a cute, earnest adventure game that is always on the verge of becoming a bit too twee but pretty expertly balanced so it never goes over the edge. I think it’s a little too long for its own good but I enjoyed my time with it and my kids had a blast watching. Don’t be put off if you aren’t into rhythm games, that element of the game is not especially challenging. (Nor, for that matter, is anything else.) This Paper Mario descendant will make you laugh with its offbeat characters and genre subversions, but it has more heart than most of its kind.

Dandara
I cannot say enough good things about Dandara. It’s a throwback Metroidvania style game with a novel movement mechanic at its core: in this broken world, you can leap from surface to surface with no true “up”, and remaining mobile amidst changing orientations is key to its combat. It is SO well designed and crafted, I think it transcends the best of its forebears. Don’t sleep on this one.

Late Shift
FMV adventures have been having a moment recently and I’m skeptical that it can last; the flaws of the genre are pretty baked in. But if you have any nostalgia (or curiosity, if you weren’t there) for this blighted genre, Late Shift is actually a pretty good example of the form. It tells its branching story competently, with generally better acting and production values than the genre average, and doesn’t overstay its welcome. Perhaps it’s damning with faint praise to say that this all-story game’s story is just “fine”, but if you’ve played many of these you know that fine is actually close to the high water mark for the genre.

Hidden Folks
It’s monochrome where’s Waldo what more do you want

Kona
This is one where I have to give a qualified recommendation: it was much better than I expected, if not quite “good” all the way through. It’s hard to talk about without spoiling, but all the best stuff in the game is front-loaded. You’re a private investigator searching an abandoned village for clues to piece together the story of what happened to its residents, and if the answer is ultimately less interesting than one might hope, that doesn’t detract from the chilly, creepy experience of trudging through the snow to reach the next house, only to be far more chilled by what you find inside.

Pathologic
This is the best game on the list, in my opinion. It’s also likely to be one of the most divisive. Most people will probably not enjoy this game! I personally have never finished it. It’s an HD remaster of a classic Russian survival horror game, emphasis more on the survival part, which is so deep and interesting and creepy and brilliant that I can’t do it justice in a paragraph. Fortunately, Quentin Smith did it years ago (spoiler warning), and in the process first convinced me to try it. The “sequel”, Pathologic 2, is kind of a remake and is in my opinion a much more polished game, but it’s not free, and this is.

Yooka-Laylee
Ok enough praising things. Hey, did you like Rare’s collectathon 3d platformers from the 90s like Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong? This is another like that. I didn’t love them, tbh, but I can recognize this as a true successor to the form. So while it’s not for me, I can recommend it to people who want to recapture that experience.

I’d be down for getting Just Cause 3 XXL. It looks like the sort of reckless stupid fun I tend to enjoy in video games. I want to emphasize though that I should be at the very bottom of the list in terms of priority. If anyone else wants it, they should get it. I’ve already received a golden egg from the magic goose.

1 Like

:raised_hand: Hollow Knight, plz.

2 Likes

After a second look through the list, Tohu looks like something I’d like. Very Animata in style.

1 Like

may I pretty pls have project wingman? i feel the need for speed

1 Like

Forged Battalion pretty please :smiley:

1 Like

Is uh Kerbal Space Program still available? I’ve always wanted to try it

2 Likes

Hello, all games have been given, unfortunately it seems Kerbal Space Program was already gone :(

1 Like

I’ll take Wingspan too, actually. >_>

1 Like

gah okay thanks Brex <3

Just a bump with some new games added - more still to come!

1 Like

May I please have they key for Iron Harvest?

1 Like

Oooh, could I have Before We Leave? That’s on my wishlist!

1 Like

I’d like the Mafia: Definitive Edition

1 Like