Historical Uniforms

I saw this picture since making my first Argo uniform and I've been thinking about it for the longest time:

xRWxPK4.png

So I thought I might as well make use of the General OOC section we have to ask a few questions I have about it! Firstly, does anyone still have these uniforms saved or otherwise possess a colour guide to make them?

I may want to make these uniforms for dossier screenshots of my characters back during these years, which leads to my second question. I know other fleets, or the ZEF at least utilized a different uniform, and I remember during the earlier years of the game the STO canon uniform changed around a lot before it seems to have settled on the Odyssey style Argo uses now. Would these historical uniforms represent what Starfleet has worn in the past, or do they pertain only to Task Force Argo personnel (whose logo is in the picture)?
4 Likes
I'll see if I can dig up the old guide(s).

The IC answer is that prior to the adoption of the Odyssey uniform, there was a pretty huge variation in uniform styles between fleets and ships. So those uniforms are specific to Task Force Argo. That's not to say that other places couldn't have used the same ones, but you definitely don't HAVE to say that they did.
4 Likes
Thank you Kermit!

I'll make some of those for some historical pictures of characters if there are old guides to use! Or maybe slight variations so the visual connection between styles is visible, but with a unique feel of another group that the character was assigned to back then.
2 Likes
Spoiler: From July 2014:Show
I. Uniform Policy

You are not required to wear the fleet uniform at all times. Administrative staff will, however, sometimes designate events where all participating members will be expected to appear in fleet uniform.

II. Uniform Code (in text)

Task Force Argo's uniform takes into account two different aspects: your career/division color and your assignment color.

a. DIVISION COLOR
Correlates to your IC career.

• If you are the captain of a starship, regardless of rank, you are Command.
  • If you are not a captain and your primary field of expertise is in the natural or medical sciences, you are Sciences.
  • If you are not a captain and your primary field of expertise is in the technological sciences, OR you function as a tactical or security officer, you are Operations.
  • If your rank within the fleet is Squadron Commander or higher, you are an Executive.
CommandSciencesOperationsExecutive
a5
f5
c6
d5

b. ASSIGNMENT COLOR
Correlates to your chosen vocation within Task Force Argo.

• If you are holding a long term posting on Deep Space 13, you are Starbase Personnel.
  • If you are the captain of a starship, regardless of rank, you are a Starship Captain.
  • If you are a subordinate aboard a starship, you are Starship Personnel.
  • If you are not a commissioned Starfleet officer, you are Enlisted Personnel.
  • If you are a sanctioned representative of a galactic government, United Federation of Planets or other, you are a Diplomat.
Starbase PersonnelStarship CaptainStarship Personnel
h11
i17
i4

Enlisted PersonnelDiplomat
h20
i12

c. FEDERATION UNIFORM
PartDropdown SelectionColors
Category (upper)
Uniform - Jacket Loose
Emblem - Character
Fleet Emblem
Upper
Odyssey
Division Color | i1 | Division Color | Assignment Color
Category (lower)
Uniform - Pants - Loose Long
or
Uniform - Skirts
i1 | Division Color or Assignment Color
Stockings required w/skirts

Boots, gloves, belt, and combadge are player choice, but colour choices should not clash. Medals can be substituted for combadge if you have them unlocked.

For events that demand formality, "Odyssey Dress" may be substituted. Dress uniform is not considered suitable use for a duty uniform.

d. ROMULAN REPUBLIC UNIFORM
PartDropdown SelectionColors
Category (upper)
Uniform - Jacket Loose
Emblem - Character
Fleet Emblem
Upper
Romulan Federation 1
Division Color | i1 | Division Color | h8
Category (lower)
Uniform - Pants - Tight
or
Uniform - Skirts - Romulan Formal Uniform
i1
Stockings required w/skirts

Boots, gloves, belt, and additional accessories are user choice, but colour choices should not clash.

III. Uniform Code (in image)

Spoiler: Show
LNVxHNx.jpg

IV. Uniform History

Spoiler: Show
xRWxPK4.png

Spoiler: From April 2016 (we removed the trim variation):Show
dSGyuxC.jpg

I don't think I have anything older than that saved. I miiiight have a costume slot saved somewhere with the Sierra uniform, will have to look when I get home later.
2 Likes
This is very helpful already! The Sierra version would be handy too, but no worries if you can't find anything on it. All this is just me being curious anyways, thank you again for satisfying my curiosity!

EDIT: Wow, these old uniforms were complicated with different trims for different assignments. What is Black Tiger?
2 Likes
Once upon a time, it was Outpost Argo's fighter squadron.
2 Likes
Oooh that explains it. It's a very powerful name that suits a fighting group, I thought it was maybe MACO before we had MACO characters or something, since the colours we have now for Intel and MACO didn't seem to be in the older instructions. It definitely works for a fighter squadron!

EDIT: It's apparently a form of Chinese martial arts. I want a White Crane fighter squadron now...
2 Likes
I remember when the Jupiter uniforms came out, they were the hottest thing out there for a long time.

@Carter

If you'd like, I can upload some old screenshots I have from back then if you'd like to see what some of the stuff we used to wear looked like in-game. I've got pictures going back to 2011, I'd just have to skim through them and pick out the ones that the fleet is in.
2 Likes
Ooooh if you have some more pictures of the other variants they can be very helpful in letting me figure out what colours to use to make it or something similar to it! But no worries if it's a lot of work, it's not vital to have or anything!

I personally really like the style of the Jupiter uniforms too. I think the Odyssey colours we (and STO NPCs) use now is probably the best Starfleet uniform in the game but the Jupiter ones have that very futuristic feel. It says something that when duplicating other sci fi looks from Mass Effect outfits to Galactica uniforms, Jupiter often ends up being the best choice.

On the downside, Jupiter uniforms have a visible flare at the bottom which can mess up the body proportions on female characters and make them look weird if you don't compensate with changing the hip sliders. So I'm glad we're using Odyssey now and I don't need different tailor proportions for on duty and off duty with female toons!
2 Likes
wrote:
EDIT: It's apparently a form of Chinese martial arts. I want a White Crane fighter squadron now...

How about a Crouching Tiger squad? Or maybe Hidden Dragon?
3 Likes
Classic STO
I've uploaded some pictures, hope that helps!
4 Likes
Ooooh that is helpful, thank you!

Wow, things were so colourful back then. And so many uniform variants seen together...it feels like Generations!
2 Likes