Holiday Foods and Aspics

In the spirit of the 'Hot Dog Threadfrom earlier this year, let's get prepped for American Thanksgiving and the other holidays.

Koni didn't do anything but let's blame him for this one too :x

JK8btjq.jpg

QxF0ZlK.jpg

WvEz5pD.jpg

(This is supposed to be a souffle...)
XtP06Zr.jpg

DtkZXDY.jpg

8eYhFrN.jpg

3bZrVQe.png

QtznGT0.jpg

nlBTLLO.jpg

(liverwurst-cheese-pineapple)
NaY67Pu.jpg

RkNvpNP.jpg

AND MY FAVORITE

6xtTDM1.jpg
3 Likes
Oh god... the memories of a Minnesota holiday dinner...
1 Like
This is appalling.
3 Likes
..but.. I was working. I had nothing to do with this!
3 Likes
I actually kinda think the shrimp tree is interesting.
3 Likes
after two semesters of garde manger in culinary school I don't wanna see anymore meat jelly lol
The thing that needs to be understood - and some of you may already know this - is that before about the midpoint of the 20th century, gelatin dishes, aspics, etc, were hugely expensive and time-consuming; they were the sort of thing that the upper class had their servants make. And then, along comes post-war prosperity and advancements in food science... the latter giving us "instant" gelatin, modern refrigerators, etc etc. Suddenly, "rich folks" food is within the reach of the burgeoning middle class. It still took a lot of time and effort, relatively speaking, but they could do it (if only to show off to the neighbors)... and so they did, to the point that it permanently changed/damaged the status of such dishes.

And that's how a fancy, "classy" food became synonymous with horrifying suburban kitsch.
3 Likes
Honestly, I was too busy laughing to retch.
I actually kinda think the shrimp tree is interesting.

The shrimp tree is a Cronenbergian nightmare.
4 Likes
I think I'd eat dry cat food first.
3 Likes
IT'S BACK BABY

MARRY EFFING CHRISTMAAAAS!!!

I'm actually unreasonable proud of the fact that I sourced many of these myself from old magazine compilations on archive.org.

Idl3noK.png

nWBCMNK.jpg

nXzPly8.png

nmCwwI0.png

yG6U5v3.jpg

jdJScev.png

9wrrIDl.png

v9ZOHsO.png
1 Like
I'm not sure which is my favorite... welcome new man in your life! frosty slaw man, the Ham Meringue Pie, or the ball-o-frosting ornaments.
1 Like
Great idea, let the kids eat BALLS OF FROSTING off the tree and then run around the house until they burn off all that sugar.

EDIT:
a friend wrote:
Or throw it up! Festively!

The open-faced hash sammich actually doesn't look too bad (in part because the product - 7up - is more "adjacent", rather than "cleverly" incorporated like too many of these dishes), and the ham dish might not be, depending on what it's topped with. The rest, however...
1 Like