How to fix pixelated in-game graphics! (New patch help)

New lighting: AWESOME

Return to total default settings: NOT AWESOME

Nope! Your game isn't broken, your graphics are just completely reset to bare minimum. Everyone will need to go back into settings and do this in order to not have things look like absolute poop:

Make sure Monitor vertical sync is ON
Make sure Resolution scale is at max, 1.00

t5A6z8r.png

Additionally, if things still look pixelated, try typing

/renderscale 1

I didn't have to do this, but some people did and it fixed the last bits!

From there you should just be able to adjust your graphics as normal!
8 Likes
I feel I should mention this just in case it happened to anyone else! It is always the first thing you should look at when you're having graphical issues, so naturally I completely skipped it. Check your resolution. INEXPLICABLY, the patch set my resolution to 1995tastic 800x600, resulting in terrible jagged ugliness that took me 20 minutes to figure out, because I am dumb.

There! You all know my shame. May someone benefit from it.
4 Likes
I usually to not use vsync but I run at 60 fps anyway for ease so it gets the same effect for my monitors. I do this for a litany of small and ultimately unimportant reasons though. So that instruction is good for most people and monitors.
Since the last couple of patches my game keeps saying my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run the game (R9 380X Nitro, please, tell me again how it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.) So it always resets my resolution to the minimum whenever I patch. >.>

My card might not be top tier but it can handle way more than STO.
Do you have switchable graphics by any chance? It did that on my laptop. Since the patch reset graphics settings, I had to reselect the correct video card.
wrote:
Do you have switchable graphics by any chance? It did that on my laptop. Since the patch reset graphics settings, I had to reselect the correct video card.

Oh hm... I think I have an onboard Intel but the game seems to run smoothly when I crank it back up at max and I set my PC to always use the R9.

But Windows 10 updates have happened, and they have reset a whole number of things so I will check it. Thanks.
This isn't really related to the updates and patch, but while we're on the topic of graphics, I'm wondering if anyone knows of some settings changes I can do in-game to reduce the graphics lag that happens on my computer whenever there are smoke or particulate effects, usually only in space maps. Days of Doom and Battle of Procyon V for example, or any system map with gas clouds, or whenever I eject warp plasma. I've tried messing with the main sliders but even on lowest CPU and GPU I get lag at those parts, so I'm assuming it's either some setting that isn't affected by them, or it's just something I have to deal with until I get an actual graphics card instead of the on-board GPU I have now, which to be fair runs the rest of the game smoothly.