Incognito: the other side

Computer... resume recording mission log.

---- // AUDIO FILE BEGINS. STARDATE 91427.1. SIGNED: CMDR NORTH, A. // ----

Wellp, here I am, tracking the warp trail of the research team that paused on Drozana for a spell. Praying to all the gods I don't believe in that this is the right path. But it's a bit of a drive, so I have some time to kill. So ... best time to make out a log, right? 'course it is.

::there's a bit of a clunk, might be the sound of boots coming up to rest on top of a console::

Let's see. I managed to get Craig out of detention without tooooo much trouble. The security guy working last night's graveyard shift was brand new and vigilant against any 'want a drink while on duty?' tricks, but not quite immune to the 'let me give you some advice about the others' chitchat routine, which let me swipe the security codes out of his jacket when I pretended to be Overseer Mellencamp while drunk.

::she snorts a laugh::

'course then it turns out Mellencamp was standing just down the hall when I pulled that, buuuuut ... whatever. None of 'em remembered it a few hours later, anyway!

After that, it was pretty easy to just waltz right in there and set Craig free, but in order to get him off the station without leaving any loose ends, we decided he had better take Vajra's shuttle and report back on his own, since his cover was compromised. I'd stay on and try to crack our lead on batch-17.

::an extended sigh::

Of course, then I managed to actually score a tip on where those researchers were from but missed the opportunity to stowaway on their ship and had no way to trace them on my own. So I was just working my shift, trying to think of my next step, when a group of Starfleet officers actually popped by. Like a whole slew of them. In uniform.

I gotta admit, I thought about roping them in. They'd get the urgency all right,
if they believed me, but batch-17 and all associated materials were classified and getting them cleared to help would've taken more time than I had to spare before the researchers' vessel warp trail went cold.

And then that goldshirt Lieutenant with a megaton of latinum that he plunked on the counter to pay for all his buddies. Played it like he just won it all, but serious, who does he think he's fooling, I watched 'em come in straight to the counter. Started to guess they might be on a mission of their own, cause they staged the worst fake fight that I've ever seen, between the lieutenant and his Bolian commander or whatever that relationship was.

... Well, okay, I take it back. The fight was pretty real. Just the circumstances leading up to it... tssh. Completely unconvincing. Should really see about getting Intel's Improv Acting classes for those officers who're pulling a quick undercover gig.

Anywho, the deck boss came down to investigate the fight and the officers asked 'em to hold their so-called 'insubordinate officer' in the brig for a while. That got my attention, I mean, what're the chances? I tapped a security feed while chatting with another customer, some dark-skinned fellow. Watched it long enough to figure out they were interested in Craig, but of course... he wasn't there anymore. Heh. My bad.

Then I got to really talking to this customer again who claimed to be there by himself, though I wasn't ready to buy that just yet. Found out he had a shuttle at his disposal and I immediately started to bargaining with him about relieving him of it. Now I know it's not... exactly protocol, but I figured I could look up the names of the officers he was with and return it once I rendezvoused with Intel again. Guy was a tough negotiator though, and I had to play along lest he change his mind at the last minute due to me agreeing to too high a price.

Honestly, I almost felt bad taking advantage of him like that, when we closed the deal in the end and the guy slid me his docking bay card. But duty is duty and I have every intention of returning the thing. It's just ... gonna be a bit later than he's expecting, that's all.

::a bit of silence, then some shuffling as she leans forward to inspect something::

Hmmm. They got an internal tracker on this thing. Better take care of that. All right, closin' this log out. Hopefully the next one is me sayin' something like... 'yay, I found batch-17'. I hope.

Computer, end log.

---- // END OF AUDIO // ----
6 Likes